The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:06 pm
You're ignoring the fact that the dude is about to have 3 kids under the age of 2/3, two of which newborns.

I've seen the misery that causes far too often first hand (and chose to avoid it), but ANY vehicular failure of any kind is a colossal inconvenience. I could barely find time to take my wife's Jeep to the dealer to have the heated seat repaired and I don't have the time commitment that kids require.

You just spent the entire night awake dealing with crying/barfing/shitting. Somehow, you manage to get yourself ready for work, pack the meat bags in the pinnacle of automotive excellence, still groggy you hear the steering pump groan as it has been for weeks because you keep ignoring it due to no time. You think to yourself, I'll swing by the dealer tonight. Drive to day care, drop off the kids, make it to the office with minutes to spare before your 8am meeting. Get yelled while making power point presentations for 10 hours, then rush out at 6 to pick up the kids from daycare before it closes. There's traffic, and of course the power steering pump gives up the ghost, so you man handle the steering wheel to daycare right before it closes at 7. Lexus dealer closes at 7:30, so there's JUST enough time. You quickly muscle the car to the dealer, where you're greeted by a hot curvy latina (HCL) service manager. Kids screaming and shitting in the background, you unload them all in the service lane and ask HCL to keep an eye on them while you remove the three seat bases to install in the loaner. HCL rolls her eyes as you struggle with the middle seat, and she walks away to ask a porter to bring the Toyota Yaris loaner around. Yaris won't fit the three seats, so they dig up a rental spec Sienna from the back lot in which there's been plenty of child excrement in, and you start installing the 3 seat bases into. An hour later, everyone's mad because you're keeping them from leaving, you finally head home to start your night of sleeplessness only to do it all over again the next day when your car of the gods is repaired.

IMO, now is not the time for vehicular heroics. Now is a time that you find a way to survive by reducing any possible stress from anything other than 3 creatures ruining your life for the next few years.
:wrong: Lexus doesn't break, because internet told me so.
It very well may not. But the risk is a lot higher for :butwhy:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:43 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:37 pm

:wrong: Lexus doesn't break, because internet told me so.
It very well may not. But the risk is a lot higher for :butwhy:
IT ISN'T :triggered: back on the IGNORE LIST YOU GO!
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:20 am
You're going to fly out and help the man change a power steering pump because he's got 3 tiny humans excreting all over him on maybe 2 hours of sleep?

Lets be real here. An older car adds way too much unnecessary risk of time suck. Dude will have plenty on his plate as it is.
Interesting. No I won't be flying out to help him change a power steering pump.

First, as usual, the automotive experts on DFD have ordained in their old uncle voice "you'll lose a power steering pump on that for sure!" Despite the fact that one of our members drove a literal time bomb of mechanical intricacy, a V8 Audi S4 Avant :manuel: for OVER A YEAR. And nothing happened. Unscathed. Clean as a virgin snowfall. Yet in this example, we have the most easily diagnosed failure on a vehicle short of a cracked windshield and.........somebody has to change it themselves in the winter? Because we couldn't just take it to a Lexus dealer, get it fixed, and drive the loaner they provide? Because, on DFD, there are only two alternatives.....brand new under warranty, or DIY. Paying someone else to repair something NOT UNDER WARRANTY IS A SEPPUKU EVENT.

Second, Coogles....

In one scenario you are in the left lane, at 85 mph, tach barely over 2K, soaking up every bump like it never happened in THE FLAGSHIP OF JAPANESE LATE 80'S ECONOMIC ASCENDANCY. There you are, casting down the automotive world order onto the rocks below. No longer is the world faced with purchasing a FWD Northstar Cadillac with 4000 electrical gremlins or the faltering quality of a Mercedes Benz with 4000 electrical gremlins, a company resting on the laurels of a reputation long since tarnished.....you are piloting a vehicle with a million mile wiring harness.

Or, switch it up, and throw on some leather flight gear on the way to the office.....

There you, are piloting your Mitsubishi A6M over the skies of Manchuria, looking below at a continent subjugated to the economic will of your military warlord bosses.....

EITHER WAY, YOU ARE A HERO OF THE RISING SUN, as opposed to what these other guys are offering you, which is basically knowing daytime television schedules in detail.

When did you guys all become members of the The View, wagging your fingers at people and saying "Hey Gurl, Hey, you need a car with a warrantEEEEEEEEEEE"
:amaze:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

This thread took a turn for the better. I really enjoyed the contributions, and still somehow now want an LS even more. I agree that a 1999 car of any manufacturer may be a shit show, but there is documented proof that a 15?yr old LS was more reliable then a one year old Focus. I thing Motor Trend or CR did an article on it. In that case I'd say go for it, but this is now a 20 yr old LS, so all bets are off.

In the example stated above by Detroit, it is noteworthy that of the PS pump popped in the next year, wife unit would show up at the :dillerman: :haus: and bring the kids home. She would also be driving the automatic equipped Yaris for the next day and be doing the car shuffle. Sorry but she's going to have to man up, and necessity makes that happen. It isn't much of a struggle at that point if she is even half cognizant of her own children, so yeah.

I'd personally get a slightly newer version of the same car if I were in this predicament TBH, and would 100% off the :mk6: or :gorf: as soon as I knew twins are on the way. Has this even been discussed? There is zero reason to own one with :baby: :baby: :neek: in the picture. :gtfo: with trying to keep it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Your life is over :mahtroy: , fun car isn't even on the radar at this point.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Woa! :impressive:

This would be SUPER :neat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

One of those would be my first choice, but I don't think they're wide enough @ 55" of rear hip room. Just looking at the specs of the car seats we have some quick :math: tells me I'll need at least 56". They all fit in the second row of the Atlas, but it's pretty tight and that thing has 58".
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

There's a dude in my neighborhood who has a beat to shit bugeye WRX that has to be straight-piped, and I swear he drives up and down my block a dozen times a day. It's hideous, but that Subie rumble gets me every time. :pouroneout:
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
One of those would be my first choice, but I don't think they're wide enough @ 55" of rear hip room. Just looking at the specs of the car seats we have some quick :math: tells me I'll need at least 56". They all fit in the second row of the Atlas, but it's pretty tight and that thing has 58".
Ahh I didn't realize that the accord still wasn't as big as the mazderp6 by 2014.

I'd guess that a :manuel: 14+ 6 would be cheap, just would take some time to find since they didn't sell many.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:52 am Ahh I didn't realize that the accord still wasn't as big as the mazderp6 by 2014.

I'd guess that a :manuel: 14+ 6 would be cheap, just would take some time to find since they didn't sell many.
No they didn't. Could always test fit the seats in an auto Mazda 6 close to me and then go on a hunt for a :manuel: assuming they do fit.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:48 am There's a dude in my neighborhood who has a beat to shit bugeye WRX that has to be straight-piped, and I swear he drives up and down my block a dozen times a day. It's hideous, but that Subie rumble gets me every time. :pouroneout:
:myman: buy mine. My dog threw up in the back seat once already so it’s broken in and everything.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:17 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:52 am Ahh I didn't realize that the accord still wasn't as big as the mazderp6 by 2014.

No they didn't. Could always test fit the seats in an auto Mazda 6 close to me and then go on a hunt for a :manuel: assuming they do fit.
What about one of the 2002 ish era Maximas con man well and the VQ motor?
Johnny_P

Legacy and outback came in manual. So did the forester.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:52 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:17 am

:neat: Before they were :poop:

:pouroneout:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:49 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:48 am There's a dude in my neighborhood who has a beat to shit bugeye WRX that has to be straight-piped, and I swear he drives up and down my block a dozen times a day. It's hideous, but that Subie rumble gets me every time. :pouroneout:
:mahman: buy mine. My dog threw up in the back seat once already so it’s broken in and everything.
:mahman:

I'd seriously consider it but it'll be awhile before I'm ready to choose the fun car. How much does our house sell for? Does my wife get this director promotion? Do I get this manager position I just applied for? Do I pick something cheap as a DD like that LS400 or do I pop for something newer, "more reliable", and more expensive?

Way too many dominoes still need to fall.

I do think I'd lean toward an 86 instead of another STi, though. Thanks :mahtroy: I think I want something RWD, something I can use for track days, autox, and truly become a better driver.

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1318539
Dat bloo. :megusta:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:29 pm Legacy and outback came in manual. So did the forester.
Unfortunately they're all too small. The 2002 Maxima has 53.7" of rear hip room, which is only 1.7" more than the GTI has. Even the new 2020 Outback only has 54.8". Whatever it is, if it's something without a 3rd row, it's going to have to be pretty damn big. JGC, Ford Edge, or a yuge sedan. The 2016-ish era Mazda6 is probably at the top of my list if it's something newer and not an SUV/van, it has 56".
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:36 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:29 pm Legacy and outback came in manual. So did the forester.
Unfortunately they're all too small. The 2002 Maxima has 53.7" of rear hip room, which is only 1.7" more than the GTI has. Even the new 2020 Outback only has 54.8". Whatever it is, if it's something without a 3rd row, it's going to have to be pretty damn big. JGC, Ford Edge, or a yuge sedan. The 2016-ish era Mazda6 is probably at the top of my list if it's something newer and not an SUV/van, it has 56".
Oh.

Marauder.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:30 am

:mahman: buy mine. My dog threw up in the back seat once already so it’s broken in and everything.

I'd seriously consider it but it'll be awhile before I'm ready to choose the fun car. How much does our house sell for? Does my wife get this director promotion? Do I get this manager position I just applied for? Do I pick something cheap as a DD like that LS400 or do I pop for something newer, "more reliable", and more expensive?

I do think I'd lean toward an 86 instead of another STi, though. Thanks :mahtroy: I think I want something RWD, something I can use for track days, autox, and truly become a better driver.

Probably the best driving thing outside of a Cayman. They're great. Don't test drive one. They're more fun than the STI.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

wait, what happened to the talk about a kid compatible vehicle?
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:47 am

This would be in addition to some sort of kid-friendly vehicle and replace the GTI.
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
coogles wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:30 am :mahman:

3 car garage, one bay for each :baby:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:04 am
coogles wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:36 am

Oh.

Marauder.
Marauder is always the answer.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:23 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:04 am

Oh.

Marauder.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

$12k

300 HP couch :megusta:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:07 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:23 pm

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

$12k

300 HP couch :megusta:
That's STRONG
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.