Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:11 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:54 am

My definition of gravel or yours? :mahman:
No chunky singletrack, plz. But 38s with some tread will get me to places I couldn't before.
Word. Yeah I could come up with a 25-40 miler with some light/moderate singletrack and one or two sketchy short downhills thrown in.
Johnny_P

I should ride today. Pioneers belmont challenge. Ride the most / biggest loop in Belmont without circling back or riding anything twice. So far the front runner has 13 and change miles. I think I can do 14.5.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:14 pm
dubshow wrote:
yeah, compared to actual mountain climbs, we got nothing. It is pretty flowy with a few quick STEEP hills to get up and over.

Ordered my repair parts for Kuat rack. thanks :doge:
Yeah, we got elevation. Yesterday’s ride:

:lolol:

yeah...
Elevation Gain:
85 feet
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I want to ride... missed out this morning before work to sleep. Hopefully Friyay I can hit Sherman Branch.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:37 pm I want to ride... missed out this morning before work to sleep. Hopefully Friyay I can hit Sherman Branch.
I haven't been back on the bike for months and I've found some new trails not far from my new place :notsure:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:45 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:37 pm I want to ride... missed out this morning before work to sleep. Hopefully Friyay I can hit Sherman Branch.
I went and got re-fit on my CAAD yesterday (saddle was too low by 1.5 CM, which is yuge in cycling fitment) - I've been riding this whole season with my saddle too low on everything. :doomed:

I then went out for a 46 mile test ride yesterday afternoon to see how things felt. Pedal stroke felt smoother, but since I'm not used to the higher position, everything feels a bit too high. I'll get used to it.

Also blew some :troywax: on new MTB/Gravel shoes, tubes, and a saddlebag for Sunday's 120 mile Gravelgasm. 38C Maxxis Rambler tires arrived today courtesy of the Facetube marketplace, cranks should arrive tomorrow, express shipped from Commiefornia. Tomorrow night I need to transfer over the new fit measurements and swap cranks and install the gravel tires on the Sacklist.

And then I just need to head out to Lewisburg at about 1PM on Saturday and get my head in the game.
Do you not clip in on the MTB? I've been contemplating some shoes.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:45 pm
I went and got re-fit on my CAAD yesterday (saddle was too low by 1.5 CM, which is yuge in cycling fitment) - I've been riding this whole season with my saddle too low on everything. :doomed:

I then went out for a 46 mile test ride yesterday afternoon to see how things felt. Pedal stroke felt smoother, but since I'm not used to the higher position, everything feels a bit too high. I'll get used to it.

Also blew some :troywax: on new MTB/Gravel shoes, tubes, and a saddlebag for Sunday's 120 mile Gravelgasm. 38C Maxxis Rambler tires arrived today courtesy of the Facetube marketplace, cranks should arrive tomorrow, express shipped from Commiefornia. Tomorrow night I need to transfer over the new fit measurements and swap cranks and install the gravel tires on the Sacklist.

And then I just need to head out to Lewisburg at about 1PM on Saturday and get my head in the game.
Damn, too late to get a :neek: kit made up.

Kick some ass!
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:00 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:50 pm

Damn, too late to get a :neek: kit made up.

Kick some ass!
Nah, rockin' the Blacklist kit.

:like: no reason not to rock it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Hey guys, I am looking at buying used one of the following, which do you think is the better buy:

1.) TREK FX3 mint condition - 9 months old for $400 (loonies)
-isozone gel grips
-rack
-alum frame with FX carbon forks
-bontrager tubeless ready disk 32h
-formula DC22 alloy rear hub
-formula alloy 6 bolt 12mm thru axle, 32h
-shimano acera
-shimano Alivio T4000 9 SPDR
-acera front crank

2.) Cannondale CX 1 near mint condition - 2 yrs old for $600
Also considerably equipped, I can pull stats..

Both bikes have hydraulic disk brakes, and all the usual medium grade goodies, they are probably 1k new +/-

Are these basically same shit/different color where the lower price is the key factor is one the better buy? This is the top of my buying range and I'm looking for casual riding on multi-terrain trails and roads with a reasonably composed road/mountain hybrid bike.

Time sensitive on the trek, I'm leaning towards :scrooge: but know little about bikes. Also resale might play into the equation in case I off it for something different in the future.
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:04 am Hey guys, I am looking at buying used one of the following, which do you think is the better buy:

-isozone gel grips
-rack
-shimano acera
-acera front crank

Both bikes have hydraulic disk brakes, and all the usual medium grade goodies, they are probably 1k new +/-

Are these basically same shit/different color where the lower price is the key factor is one the better buy? This is the top of my buying range and I'm looking for casual riding on multi-terrain trails and roads with a reasonably composed road/mountain hybrid bike.

Time sensitive on the trek, I'm leaning towards :scrooge: but know little about bikes. Also resale might play into the equation in case I off it for something different in the future.
Honestly I'd base this on condition and how they ride. If one rides smoother, go for it. If one has a rusted chain and fraying tires and isn't shifting correctly.... it'll cost money to get it to a rideable condition. Look for dented frames, scrapes are fine.

Both of these bikes are excellent picks for light path and cruiser type duty.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:17 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:04 am Hey guys, I am looking at buying used one of the following, which do you think is the better buy:

-isozone gel grips
-rack
-shimano acera
-acera front crank

Honestly I'd base this on condition and how they ride. If one rides smoother, go for it. If one has a rusted chain and fraying tires and isn't shifting correctly.... it'll cost money to get it to a rideable condition. Look for dented frames, scrapes are fine.

Both of these bikes are excellent picks for light path and cruiser type duty.
Ok awesome, I'm going to look at the Cannondale first. I guess if it's in good shape i might just grab it. The trek is a bit of a drive away but obviously worth the effort to save $200.

:excited:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I grabbed the cannondale, the condition of it is good/great and was used for light duty one year by the lady that owned it. She dropped the price to 575 and included a hatch mount bike rack that holds two bikes, the pump which itself looks pretty neat, a back rack that comes with a storage bag, two matching water bottle holders and bottles, and a lock.

All in all a pretty good :dill:

The back tar has a little more wear then the front, gears shift smoothly and are crisp, I'll probably get a new chain :notsure: if it needs one, but at least a good cleaning since the grease has collected some dust. It has a kickstand :whocares:

Pretty pumped, now I need to find one in good condition used for Nicole.

Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:03 pm I grabbed the cannondale, the condition of it is good/great and was used for light duty one year by the lady that owned it. She dropped the price to 575 and included a hatch mount bike rack that holds two bikes, the pump which itself looks pretty neat, a back rack that comes with a storage bag, two matching water bottle holders and bottles, and a lock.

All in all a pretty good :dill:

The back tar has a little more wear then the front, gears shift smoothly and are crisp, I'll probably get a new chain :notsure: if it needs one, but at least a good cleaning since the grease has collected some dust. It has a kickstand :whocares:

Pretty pumped, now I need to find one in good condition used for Nicole.

Yeah that's an extra few hundo of crap. Nice!
If you clean the chain, use a degreaser of any type, and then apply chain lube. Don't re-lube anything on the bike with WD-40, that's a solvent and will purge grease out.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I almost bought an FX3 when I started this summer and kind of wish I'd just bought it and not learned anything else about bikes. It was comfy and priced OK even new. :derp:

I'm still not at all comfortable on the drop bar bike but gave into the hype that it's the only way to ride. Add in the stupid :fancy: shoes and pedals and I'm feeling all :butwhy: when the original goal was merely to get in shape.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:11 pm I almost bought an FX3 when I started this summer and kind of wish I'd just bought it and not learned anything else about bikes. It was comfy and priced OK even new. :derp:

I'm still not at all comfortable on the drop bar bike but gave into the hype that it's the only way to ride. Add in the stupid :fancy: shoes and pedals and I'm feeling all :butwhy: when the original goal was merely to get in shape.
I'm taking the blue pill here, not going to think about how other bikes could have been a better buy or better suited. The bike I got is a pretty good all around, and will do light trails and road just the same. I may regret not having :fancy: shoes when I smash my shins but for now good enough is good enough.. if I ever get more serious I guess I can always sell and buy something else used or whatever. The only thing :notsure: are the tires, they seem a little thin for off road use but they claim to be up to the task as long as I don't do anything too bold.
troyguitar

Tarz are cheap, like $60 a pair on amazon for decent stuff and easy to change on your own.
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:39 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:11 pm I almost bought an FX3 when I started this summer and kind of wish I'd just bought it and not learned anything else about bikes. It was comfy and priced OK even new. :derp:

I'm taking the blue pill here, not going to think about how other bikes could have been a better buy or better suited. The bike I got is a pretty good all around, and will do light trails and road just the same. I may regret not having :fancy: shoes when I smash my shins but for now good enough is good enough.. if I ever get more serious I guess I can always sell and buy something else used or whatever. The only thing :notsure: are the tires, they seem a little thin for off road use but they claim to be up to the task as long as I don't do anything too bold.
Packed gravel trails and easy dirt roads are about as far as I'd take this bike.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I took it for a spin to the beach and around town, the gear sets are better then anything I've experienced to date, all of it really. I'm :fuckyeah: about the purchase! Good :dill: is good.

I don't think I'll do much more then it's designed for and have tons of groomed trails to my disposal, so this seems like the best fit. Going to eat a late lunch and :scoot: back to the city. :like:
troyguitar

Tarspin wrote:I took it for a spin to the beach and around town, the gear sets are better then anything I've experienced to date, all of it really. I'm :fuckyeah: about the purchase! Good :dill: is good.

I don't think I'll do much more then it's designed for and have tons of groomed trails to my disposal, so this seems like the best fit. Going to eat a late lunch and :scoot: back to the city. :like:
I'm impressed that you are riding up there. It's cold. I put my bike away for the winter and am setting it up on the indoor trainer as soon as I get the last few pieces delivered.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:30 pm
Tarspin wrote:I took it for a spin to the beach and around town, the gear sets are better then anything I've experienced to date, all of it really. I'm :fuckyeah: about the purchase! Good :dill: is good.

I'm impressed that you are riding up there. It's cold. I put my bike away for the winter and am setting it up on the indoor trainer as soon as I get the last few pieces delivered.
It is surprisingly mild today, we had some shitty weather up until doe.. so lucky day I guess.
Apex

I was messing around in Strava this evening looking at my ride from this afternoon, and saw this:

:stig:

:notbad: for pushing a 2.8 through the dirt. Or I may have been airborne :iono:

Also, smashed into a tree for the first time on the Big Carbonzo. :sad: Just some thigh/upper arm impact so all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:38 pm I was messing around in Strava this evening looking at my ride from this afternoon, and saw this:

Also, smashed into a tree for the first time on the Big Carbonzo. :sad: Just some thigh/upper arm impact so all good.

Full send! :megusta:
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:23 pm
Apex wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:38 pm I was messing around in Strava this evening looking at my ride from this afternoon, and saw this:

Full send! :megusta:
:megusta:
Johnny_P

Should I get a road dedicated bike again? :notsure:
Missing the ability to go fast and feel fast. I'd need something that rides decently well though.

New Trek Emonda ALR5 looks siiiiiick for $2k. Supposedly a good ride.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... c/p/24166/

Alt is I guess get a stiffer/"better" CX type bike, and a real road wheelset. Like a carbon reynolds disc wheelset for it. Not something that'll break the bank, but like $1200-1500 ish... cheaper than a dedicated bike. :iono:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:20 am Just get a set of 30C slicks on a set of road wheels. My Sacklist is surprisingly quick on the road with the right rolling stock.
So the road setup I have is the stock boat anchor All City wheelset (Alex Black Dragon 32 spoke f/r with cheap Novatec-ish hubs probably like 2200g), to 32c Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons with tubes.

The tires have some added rolling resistance over GP5000's. But added puncture resistance. The wheels are probably the issue, mounted up they're notably heavier than my WTB/Bitex/40C Nano off road set.

The Macho Man's frame isn't the stiffest. Kind of pedals like an older steel bike, I'd bet its somewhat similar to your Schwinn. Some BB flex.

I really don't know why this bike feels so much slower than my Cervelo did. I guess that bike's stiffness really made it snappy and feel super fast. I'm a hell of a lot slower climbing on this bike than I was on the Cervelo. It weighs 10 lbs more than that bike did though.