Griffdog House Search

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

So which car should JohnnyP buy?

:roasted:

:pftch:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:45 pm Also, Griff is going to buy this house regardless of the property tax. So :whocares:
Agreed, just trying to help a brother out. Need to really understand property taxes in a given area so there's no financial surprises.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:48 pm Property tax discussion and bitching consumes a disproportionately large amount of time on this forum.
:dat:

Yes, it might get reassessed, they are reassessing much of the county this year... that said it was valued at $307K already and we are buying it for $322K. 1% of $20K is $200/year...I really don't care.

:eeyore: , where di you get the 1.4% number? That is not the tax rate here.

You people are so goddamn negative :wtf: . Life costs money, we could rent a house, yes https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/722- ... 6776_zpid/ ... same cash flow outlay monthly and rent goes up $100-200 every year. I guess we will see how :wrong: I am when it comes time to sell someday. I am paying more to split a one bedroom apartment now than I paid for my own two bedroom place in 2013. The renting game isn't as glamorous as y'all think it is.
Last edited by D Griff on Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:48 pm Property tax discussion and bitching consumes a disproportionately large amount of time on this forum.
:notwrong:

But property taxes are also an important consideration that's often overlooked by first time home buyers. Since this is a first time home buying thread for our man griff, it seems like appropriate discussion. At the very least he's hopefully more informed and prepared for what's on the horizon, good, bad, or indifferent.

I certainly don't think he's making a bad decision, I just think it's important to know all aspects of a very major life transaction.

:iono: :wrong:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:03 pm

Yes, it might get reassessed, they are reassessing much of the county this year... that said it was valued at $307K already and we are buying it for $322K. 1% of $20K is $200/year...I really don't care.

You people are so goddamn negative :wtf: . Life costs money, we could rent a house, yes https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/722- ... 6776_zpid/ ... same cash flow outlay monthly and rent goes up $100-200 every year. I guess we will see how :wrong: I am when it comes time to sell someday.
DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

You people are so goddamn negative :wtf: . Life costs money, we could rent a house, yes https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/722- ... 6776_zpid/ ... same cash flow outlay monthly and rent goes up $100-200 every year. I guess we will see how :wrong: I am when it comes time to sell someday.
"assessed value" =/= "purchase price" as stupid as that sounds.

Still, you're absolutely right. We're not talking multiple thousands here. Just don't want you being surprised is all, and I think it's important you stay informed. You'd dig into every dime of a car transaction, this is the same on a much larger scale.

Also, few things anger me as much as property taxes because they can be very ambiguous and expensive sometimes with zero perceived value.
ChrisoftheNorth

According to Zillow...

Taxes were $2,157 when the house was assessed at 158,800. 2,157/158,800 = 1.358%

It's very realistic to expect the tax bill to approach $4k.

FWIW, I'm the retard paying $10k in property taxes, so as far as I'm concerned, you're winning in every scenario.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm

DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Potd

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:03 pm
:notwrong:

But property taxes are also an important consideration that's often overlooked by first time home buyers. Since this is a first time home buying thread for our man griff, it seems like appropriate discussion. At the very least he's hopefully more informed and prepared for what's on the horizon, good, bad, or indifferent.

I certainly don't think he's making a bad decision, I just think it's important to know all aspects of a very major life transaction.

:iono: :wrong:
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:fax:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

You people are so goddamn negative :wtf: . Life costs money, we could rent a house, yes https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/722- ... 6776_zpid/ ... same cash flow outlay monthly and rent goes up $100-200 every year. I guess we will see how :wrong: I am when it comes time to sell someday. I am paying more to split a one bedroom apartment now than I paid for my own two bedroom place in 2013. The renting game isn't as glamorous as y'all think it is.
ITS :dubshow: TO YOU SIR.

But man, don't take any of this the wrong (negative) way. Not being negative in the least. Maybe Im a stickler for wanting to be :notwrong: but I've learned all these lessons and am simply sharing them. I'll shut up now if its giving you frustration.

I take DFD with some massive LOADS of salt. DFD delivers LOADS. Most of it is casual discussions/banter based on everyone collective experiences. I don't see that as negative. Sure, DFD can give the ole :deadhorse: a solid few more wacks but I dont think it should give any pause in your life.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Yeah no, I don't regret one single property purchase I made ever, and I'm on my forth one. By now my mortgage cost on a +3k sqft house is equal to a bachelor apartment, and all in with tax and expenses I'm not exceeding a row home monthly rental cost. In ten or less years I'll be mortgage free again, it's single handedly the smartest financial move I made to date.

Glass half full argument.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:10 pm According to Zillow...

Taxes were $2,157 when the house was assessed at 158,800. 2,157/158,800 = 1.358%

FWIW, I'm the retard paying $10k in property taxes, so as far as I'm concerned, you're winning in every scenario.
thanks dplac, for showing my :math:

I JUST WANT THE TRUTH DAMMIT

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I do appreciate it and there's a lot here I haven't done... just like car purchases, some stuff you just have to go through and experience to get the whole picture. :tits: has bought a home but I think because she enjoyed the 50% appreciation life, she things that is the norm... nahgonnahappen this time I don't think. I feel like the higher the price of the home, the lower the percentage of appreciation honestly, but at least this is like the cheapest home in the Madison Park 'hood that's not a shit hole.

FWIW we already know what the taxes are going to be - $3060 as quoted. They may go up, but I mean, what can you really do? This will happen anywhere and they aren't going up $200/month/year like rent does.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Congrats, you are now my new quote sig.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Also timeframe for aforementioned purchases (and sales) all between 2007 and now
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:17 pm

But man, don't take any of this the wrong (negative) way. Not being negative in the least. Maybe Im a stickler for wanting to be :notwrong: but I've learned all these lessons and am simply sharing them. I'll shut up now if its giving you frustration.

I take DFD with some massive LOADS of salt. DFD delivers LOADS. Most of it is casual discussions/banter based on everyone collective experiences. I don't see that as negative. Sure, DFD can give the ole :deadhorse: a solid few more wacks but I dont think it should give any pause in your life.
Can you present this to me in power point form?

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
:deadhorse: :narc: :deadhorse:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:yeahok: ole wise sage. :dislike:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:20 pm

:triggered: :triggered: :triggered:
:triggered: :lolol: :triggered:
:triggered: :triggered: :triggered:
razr390

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:20 pm

1 slide: :wrong:

:mahman:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

As I said before, this is why I keep a lot to myself.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
razr390

Melon wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:25 pm As I said before, this is why I keep a lot to myself.
How big is this lot? Square footage price per doll hair
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:25 pm As I said before, this is why I keep a lot to myself.
:wrong: is okay :doe:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Dat :melon: :wub: doe.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:mahman:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:18 pm

I do appreciate it and there's a lot here I haven't done... just like car purchases, some stuff you just have to go through and experience to get the whole picture. :tits: has bought a home but I think because she enjoyed the 50% appreciation life, she things that is the norm... nahgonnahappen this time I don't think. I feel like the higher the price of the home, the lower the percentage of appreciation honestly, but at least this is like the cheapest home in the Madison Park 'hood that's not a shit hole.

FWIW we already know what the taxes are going to be - $3060 as quoted. They may go up, but I mean, what can you really do? This will happen anywhere and they aren't going up $200/month/year like rent does.
It won't appreciate much, but it sure won't depreciate much. That's a fantastic situation to be in.

I also love home ownershit, so I get the desire for buying a house in the first place. Just want to make sure you've got a grasp on the entire situation.