Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

You’re going to be much happier in the WFH/Travel split. Cube life ain’t for everyone. Excited for you man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

nakenyon wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:22 am You’re going to be much happier in the WFH/Travel split. Cube life ain’t for everyone. Excited for you man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gracias! :excited:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:19 am
wap wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:50 pm So, do you have a start date? And when is pirate letting coming?
:popcorn:
Just received the updated official offer - I requested a start date of 11/18 because I am taking some time off in early November for :drunk: bachelor partying in NOLA. I'm also having what looks to be my best month yet here for October so I want to have the month completed before putting in notice in case they just walk me out (doubtful), don't want to miss out on what will hopefully be a great commission. I am a little bit :sad: to walk away from the cash cow, but the way things are structured here, it would be harder and harder to make as much commission over time plus no pay increases, versus the new place. 2020 might quite not pan out as well but it seems like a place I can plop down for a number of years and grow overtime, plus I will enjoy being back in that industry and the 60/40 WFH/road split versus 95% cube lyfe.
Smart thinking on finishing out October for dat yuuge commish check. So, has the pirate letter gone out yet? It may be a bit early for that :doe: since your start date is 5 weeks away. I assume you want to use your vaca time for your :drunk: fest so you continue to be paid while you're off.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:39 pm Starting to settle in at the new gig.

I spent the first day getting set up, and the last two days just kind of floating around and watching up front to get an idea of the flow and how my writers handle people and things. I've got 14 writers. 3 are rockstars. Two are completely useless and I'll need them gone ASAP. Everyone else is decent enough.
I'm struggling with the transition to being "the boss". I've got a couple of writers that I just can't get to open up to me at all... just one word answers and a general uneasiness because of "the new boss". I'm used to just handling things myself instead of having my team step up to do it the way it should be done. I guess it will come in time.
If you wanna chat about it let me know, call or text any time.
Johnny_P

I gotta find a new job. Like, soon. This one is horrible and I don’t want my name associated with whatever stupidity they build.

Gotta start networking. I’m so bad at that. Project manager for construction stuff is what I want to do. Hopefully at a hospital or something where I can feel like I’m helping the world.

I have been so unbelievably sad over the last few weeks.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:20 pm I gotta find a new job. Like, soon. This one is horrible and I don’t want my name associated with whatever stupidity they build.

Gotta start networking. I’m so bad at that. Project manager for construction stuff is what I want to do. Hopefully at a hospital or something where I can feel like I’m helping the world.

I know a guy who needs to fill a couple service writer spots. :hubba:
Every brake job gets a balloon. Every oil change gets a sticker tattoo. After 10 oil changes you get a free pirate hat. Wear the hat when you take the car in for service you get $5 off. I’ll slowly build a loyal set of pirates.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:43 pm

Every brake job gets a balloon. Every oil change gets a sticker tattoo. After 10 oil changes you get a free pirate hat. Wear the hat when you take the car in for service you get $5 off. I’ll slowly build a loyal set of pirates.
This is epic. fled :makeitso:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Don't hate the offer, you could brap your gravel/mtb every day after work.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:18 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:39 pm Starting to settle in at the new gig.

I spent the first day getting set up, and the last two days just kind of floating around and watching up front to get an idea of the flow and how my writers handle people and things. I've got 14 writers. 3 are rockstars. Two are completely useless and I'll need them gone ASAP. Everyone else is decent enough.
I'm struggling with the transition to being "the boss". I've got a couple of writers that I just can't get to open up to me at all... just one word answers and a general uneasiness because of "the new boss". I'm used to just handling things myself instead of having my team step up to do it the way it should be done. I guess it will come in time.
Let’s grab a beer soon.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Fuck me... that’s Director of Fixed Operations material right there.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:51 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:18 pm

Let’s grab a beer soon.
:like:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Would a BMW dealer tech get a gold star to reprogram the damn car for a battery change within 2 hours?
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:20 pm I gotta find a new job. Like, soon. This one is horrible and I don’t want my name associated with whatever stupidity they build.

:sad: Sorry to hear man, seems like the new gig is a clusterfuck. You now have direction on what you'd like to do and where you'd like to do it, so that is certainly the first part of the battle. Keep your eyes peeled for smaller companies, it seems much easier to actually get an interview with them versus corporate :bs:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:10 am

:sad: Sorry to hear man, seems like the new gig is a clusterfuck. You now have direction on what you'd like to do and where you'd like to do it, so that is certainly the first part of the battle. Keep your eyes peeled for smaller companies, it seems much easier to actually get an interview with them versus corporate :bs:
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

There's a lot of stuff that's throwing red flags in my head at this point, and I can't seem to convince the company owners to change things.
Like performing a HAZOP / PHA (hazardous operations pre-plan type what-if scenario) before you even know the properties (flash point, viscosity, composition) of the product streams you'll produce. Or expecting people to work on a platform that's at a physically higher elevation than the flare stack that's right next to it. That sort of thing.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:27 am

Less corporate tomfoolery and more 1:1 interaction.
I long for less corporate tomfoolery. So badly.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:56 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:27 am

Less corporate tomfoolery and more 1:1 interaction.
I long for less corporate tomfoolery. So badly.
Fewer layers of management is one big plus of smaller companies. I, and most all department heads - production, operations, purchasing, sales, etc. report directly to the president of the company and we're all on a first name basis with the owner. It's 5/7
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

My dumbass is second guessing taking this new gig.

My current job is just :waxer: for relative ease, kind of scary to give it up... new job would certainly be more interesting/challenging/rewarding but it will likely take some years to get back to the income level (although base salary is decent) and higher potential that things go :nuke: at this company run by all :wap: .

:iono: I need to just sign the offer and be done with it.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:20 pm My dumbass is second guessing taking this new gig.

My current job is just :waxer: for relative ease, kind of scary to give it up... new job would certainly be more interesting/challenging/rewarding but it will likely take some years to get back to the income level (although base salary is decent) and higher potential that things go :nuke: at this company run by all :wap: .

Remember the discussions we've had about your future income potential at your current gig. The "goal" setting of increasing YOY is completely unsustainable and could result in a potentially significant decrease next year. Fast forward a year when you didn't take the new gig AND your income goes down. How do you feel about that?

What I find encouraging about your new job offer is they seem to recognize that they're all :wap: and need fresh young blood to keep the company going. That's a big sign that they want to keep the company growing, and since they acquiesced on the relocation requirement, they clearly think you're the dude to take them there.

:doit: man.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:02 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:20 pm My dumbass is second guessing taking this new gig.

Remember the discussions we've had about your future income potential at your current gig. The "goal" setting of increasing YOY is completely unsustainable and could result in a potentially significant decrease next year. Fast forward a year when you didn't take the new gig AND your income goes down. How do you feel about that?

What I find encouraging about your new job offer is they seem to recognize that they're all :wap: and need fresh young blood to keep the company going. That's a big sign that they want to keep the company growing, and since they acquiesced on the relocation requirement, they clearly think you're the dude to take them there.

Yeah, you're right. It will certainly be more demanding than my current gig in some ways but I think I'll like that given the small company vibe - what you do actually matters. Plus, working remotely definitely makes things more flexible time-wise.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:02 pm

Yeah, you're right. It will certainly be more demanding than my current gig in some ways but I think I'll like that given the small company vibe - what you do actually matters. Plus, working remotely definitely makes things more flexible time-wise.
I'll make an assumption that we're similar in our work ethics because we seem to be from our postings.

I'll gladly work my ass off for something I believe in and enjoy the challenge. Especially for a small company where everything I did actually mattered. That's a dream scenario for me TBH.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:26 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:16 pm

I'll make an assumption that we're similar in our work ethics because we seem to be from our postings.

I'll gladly work my ass off for something I believe in and enjoy the challenge. Especially for a small company where everything I did actually mattered. That's a dream scenario for me TBH.
Pretty much where I was at with the Bang Bus... way harder and for less pay but it was sure as hell more enjoyable and satisfying.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Griff take the new gig. You have the long term potential of being a huge decision maker for this small company or banking craZy if they sell it go some megacorp
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Signed the offer. :micdrop:

Now I just need to close out this month strong at the old SnapAV... currently already hit my October quota and trending at 115% percent growth AKA the largest paycheck of my life.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:06 pm Signed the offer. :micdrop:

Now I just need to close out this month strong at the old SnapAV... currently already hit my October quota and trending at 115% percent growth AKA the largest paycheck of my life.
First you 115% growth then you pirate letter.

:mahman:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.