Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

coogles wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:14 pm :ohdang:

Interesting! Link to house? I like looking at this stuff.
https://www.talktotucker.com/homes/1071 ... 037/306351

I feel like we overpaid by $10k given the other home values in the neighborhood, but for the life of us we could not find anything we liked anywhere near as much for even close to the $400k we got it for. It's probably fair, though, they started at $430k and our initial offer was $380k, so I shouldn't be too upset about what we're paying according to my in-laws, who are both realtors. The :haus: is traditional, without the crazy :wasteful: 2-story great rooms and cat-walks and fake mcmansion bullshit, which, for us as fans of older houses is perfect.

We do plan to come back to our current neighborhood eventually, but because this place is juuuuuust over the county line in the good school districts, it means we won't need to be in any rush to come back because our daycare expenses are turning into even more expensive private school tuition bills. We plan to sock away money for the next 5-7 years and come back, hopefully.
Looks sweet.

I really should buy something like this out there and move.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I feel like we overpaid by $10k given the other home values in the neighborhood, but for the life of us we could not find anything we liked anywhere near as much for even close to the $400k we got it for. It's probably fair, though, they started at $430k and our initial offer was $380k, so I shouldn't be too upset about what we're paying according to my in-laws, who are both realtors. The :haus: is traditional, without the crazy :wasteful: 2-story great rooms and cat-walks and fake mcmansion bullshit, which, for us as fans of older houses is perfect.

We do plan to come back to our current neighborhood eventually, but because this place is juuuuuust over the county line in the good school districts, it means we won't need to be in any rush to come back because our daycare expenses are turning into even more expensive private school tuition bills. We plan to sock away money for the next 5-7 years and come back, hopefully.
Dude, you got this for $400k?

:amazing:

I'd say you found a great looking place to spend some time raising kids. They'll love it there. Also, 3 car garage? :megusta:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Thanks guys. Definitely bittersweet leaving the house and neighborhood we've called home for the past 9.5 years, but the new place is really nice and should be a wonderful place to raise a family. There are kids all over the place in the new neighborhood and it should be a lot of fun.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:19 am Thanks guys. Definitely bittersweet leaving the house and neighborhood we've called home for the past 9.5 years, but the new place is really nice and should be a wonderful place to raise a family. There are kids all over the place in the new neighborhood and it should be a lot of fun.
Bonus points for not having to settle for McMansion "architecture" :bs: as well. Well done all around IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:44 am
coogles wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:19 am Thanks guys. Definitely bittersweet leaving the house and neighborhood we've called home for the past 9.5 years, but the new place is really nice and should be a wonderful place to raise a family. There are kids all over the place in the new neighborhood and it should be a lot of fun.
Bonus points for not having to settle for McMansion "architecture" :bs: as well. Well done all around IMO.
:dat:
McMansions... :disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:50 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:44 am
McMansions... :disgust:
:hellno:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Place looks good dude. That back yard is a nice size :datass: and will be fun for the kiddos to play in. Maybe add a little treehouse to that one in the center of the yard at some point. Also, carpet is great when you have kids. Fireplace is rad. All around good buy.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:05 pm Place looks good dude. That back yard is a nice size :datass: and will be fun for the kiddos to play in. Maybe add a little treehouse to that one in the center of the yard at some point. Also, carpet is great when you have kids. Fireplace is rad. All around good buy.
Thanks Johnny. :mahman:

Planning on doing a swingset with the requisite fort backing up to those pine trees on the left side of the yard, eventually.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:28 pm
dubshow wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:20 pm

You'd think with a $1.3 FUCKING MILLION dollhair house people could manage to do the right thing and spend $300 to properly prep house.

I spent like $600 replacing and repairing some rotted soffit to do it the right way on a $240k house....
Right, on my house I've replaced the kitchen faucet and a window crank mechanism and I'm sanding and painting the ceiling in the basement where the dishwasher leaked a fee yrs back, as well as purging out the sprinkler system for the new owners. I plan to walk them through all of the nuances of the house if they want me to.

These guys are trash.
And there you have it.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:05 pm Place looks good dude. That back yard is a nice size :datass: and will be fun for the kiddos to play in. Maybe add a little treehouse to that one in the center of the yard at some point. Also, carpet is great when you have kids. Fireplace is rad. All around good buy.
Thanks Johnny. :mahman:

Planning on doing a swingset with the requisite fort backing up to those pine trees on the left side of the yard, eventually.
Place is bad ass. Equipped, not stripped.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:04 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:28 pm

Right, on my house I've replaced the kitchen faucet and a window crank mechanism and I'm sanding and painting the ceiling in the basement where the dishwasher leaked a fee yrs back, as well as purging out the sprinkler system for the new owners. I plan to walk them through all of the nuances of the house if they want me to.

These guys are trash.
And there you have it.
Less then two weeks, I better book a pool closer ASAP

Between the move, kids school, loan prep, work and a wife who's depression pills cause more bad then good I'm about ready for a vacation from my life. Deep breathe!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:47 pm

And there you have it.

Between the move, kids school, loan prep, work and a wife who's depression pills cause more bad then good I'm about ready for a vacation from my life. Deep breathe!
:yikes:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:47 pm

And there you have it.

Yep, sometimes there just isn't time to fuck around with the path of the righteous man. Just get it done.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Small :haus: :plac: updates.

Appraisal came in $10k low at $390k versus the $400k contract price. I'm not the least bit surprised, as that was initially exactly our "best and final" offer at my direction before I finally caved to :tits: :pout: and agreed to $400k after about 36 hours of ceased negotiations.

None of this in any way impacts our financing, we're putting down $150k so no issues with going over 80% LTV, but my biggest hangup with the place is that it still has the original HVAC from 1999. We'd planned on replacing preemptively next fall once the home warranty is about to expire, but this gives me the leverage I need in the argument with :tits: to go back and ask them to replace the whole system using our choice of units and contractor, up to $10k. I have a feeling they'll balk and tear up the deal despite already having closed on their new place, but if that's what happens I DGAF at this point. These people have been a bitch to work with getting even small repairs made post-inspection and have outright refused to repair some issues or give an allowance for them.

I also more and more have reservations about moving out to the 'burbs, and if this is what it takes to get out of the whole thing I won't be the least bit salty. In-laws can sleep on an air matress :whocares:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

coogles wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:42 am Small :haus: :plac: updates.

Appraisal came in $10k low at $390k versus the $400k contract price. I'm not the least bit surprised, as that was initially exactly our "best and final" offer at my direction before I finally caved to :tits: :pout: and agreed to $400k after about 36 hours of ceased negotiations.

None of this in any way impacts our financing, we're putting down $150k so no issues with going over 80% LTV, but my biggest hangup with the place is that it still has the original HVAC from 1999. We'd planned on replacing preemptively next fall once the home warranty is about to expire, but this gives me the leverage I need in the argument with :tits: to go back and ask them to replace the whole system using our choice of units and contractor, up to $10k. I have a feeling they'll balk and tear up the deal despite already having closed on their new place, but if that's what happens I DGAF at this point. These people have been a bitch to work with getting even small repairs made post-inspection and have outright refused to repair some issues or give an allowance for them.

I also more and more have reservations about moving out to the 'burbs, and if this is what it takes to get out of the whole thing I won't be the least bit salty. In-laws can sleep on an air matress :whocares:
tell them to give you $10k allowance for ac system. You complete repairs. No fuss on the low appraisal.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Yea, fuck the suburbs. If you can make current house work it's the best
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:56 am

tell them to give you $10k allowance for ac system. You complete repairs. No fuss on the low appraisal.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:34 pm

Yea, fuck the suburbs. If you can make current house work it's the best
But really, :dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

Also, I wouldn't get too hung up on fixes for inspection. Whatever they do will very likely be half-assed or rushed. I'd just use it as leverage to decrease the price, but that's about it.

When we bought our house, we waived our right to ask for fixes, but kept our right to walk after inspection. So we either bought it as-is or didn't at all. Sellers said that was a big consideration in them accepting our offer so quickly (and thus at asking when it easily could have gone way over).
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:34 pm Yea, fuck the suburbs. If you can make current house work it's the best
:notwrong: , it's been my preference all along, but :tits: is worries she's going to lose her marbles with 3 kids' worth of toys and shit all over the house. I know families have raised 3 kids in houses the size of ours (and smaller!) for millennia, but I do see the appeal of having something bigger. Ideally we'd just wait out these next 6 years or so in our current place until the twins are in school and the budget frees up, so we can buy one of the bigger houses in our current 'hood.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:49 pm Also, I wouldn't get too hung up on fixes for inspection. Whatever they do will very likely be half-assed or rushed. I'd just use it as leverage to decrease the price, but that's about it.

When we bought our house, we waived our right to ask for fixes, but kept our right to walk after inspection. So we either bought it as-is or didn't at all. Sellers said that was a big consideration in them accepting our offer so quickly (and thus at asking when it easily could have gone way over).
That's basically what we've tried to do. We hired our own contractors to provide estimates for the work and it totaled about $800. They agreed to a $500 allowance and said that was their "final offer". It's $300...whatever, I'm not blowing up the whole thing and starting over because of $300, but it's just the idea of it all. Why in the world not just agree to what the estimates total besides being assholes just because you can? I might not be willing to blow up a deal for $300, but I will for $10k. Keep in mind they started at $430k, and according to realtor talk basically think we stole the house from them, but decided to move forward with us because they're in a rush to close and no one else had the :balls: to come in with an initial offer $50k under asking in this market. There's 0% chance they come down another $10k.

I still need to review the appraisal in more detail and dig into the comps the guy used, so we'll see if I agree with his ultimate conclusion or not. These are different than the comps pulled by our realtor and theirs, which is another story. Assuming this deal falls through we'll definitely be working with someone else moving forward. All she's basically encouraging us to do is sit on the appraisal, not tell the selling agent, and pay $400k, which is obvious considering she stands to make a nice commission on the whole thing.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:49 pm Also, I wouldn't get too hung up on fixes for inspection. Whatever they do will very likely be half-assed or rushed. I'd just use it as leverage to decrease the price, but that's about it.

That's basically what we've tried to do. We hired our own contractors to provide estimates for the work and it totaled about $800. They agreed to a $500 allowance and said that was their "final offer". It's $300...whatever, I'm not blowing up the whole thing and starting over because of $300, but it's just the idea of it all. Why in the world not just agree to what the estimates total besides being assholes just because you can? I might not be willing to blow up a deal for $300, but I will for $10k. Keep in mind they started at $430k, and according to realtor talk basically think we stole the house from them, but decided to move forward with us because they're in a rush to close and no one else had the :balls: to come in with an initial offer $50k under asking in this market. There's 0% chance they come down another $10k.

I still need to review the appraisal in more detail and dig into the comps the guy used, so we'll see if I agree with his ultimate conclusion or not. These are different than the comps pulled by our realtor and theirs, which is another story. Assuming this deal falls through we'll definitely be working with someone else moving forward. All she's basically encouraging us to do is sit on the appraisal, not tell the selling agent, and pay $400k, which is obvious considering she stands to make a nice commission on the whole thing.
For the last number of years, houses sold instantly and for above ask. People are used to that and not quite able to accept the reality that the market is softening and deals need to be struck now.

0/7 would buy a house for more than it appraised for. Paying the overage is a :fullretard: way of lighting money on fire. It would have to be the most :unicorn: amazing house in the world for me to consider paying above appraisal...and even then I'd probably walk.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

coogles wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:01 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:34 pm Yea, fuck the suburbs. If you can make current house work it's the best
:notwrong: , it's been my preference all along, but :tits: is worries she's going to lose her marbles with 3 kids' worth of toys and shit all over the house. I know families have raised 3 kids in houses the size of ours (and smaller!) for millennia, but I do see the appeal of having something bigger. Ideally we'd just wait out these next 6 years or so in our current place until the twins are in school and the budget frees up, so we can buy one of the bigger houses in our current 'hood.
Yea... Don't sell a perfectly fine house for reasons that you don't need to on that kind of big transaction. You are pissing away minuim of 25k just on fees. Oh I know, seller pays right? YOU'RE GOING TO BE THE SELLER one day.

I'd 100% use this AC and appraisal as an out if you are having second thoughts. At minimum, don't fucking pay a dime over appraisal.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Also, the realtor game is a scam...they'll ALWAYS pull the most favorable comps to get the most money. I'd trust the appraisal more...it's an independent look.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:27 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:01 pm

Yea... Don't sell a perfectly fine house for reasons that you don't need to on that kind of big transaction. You are pissing away minuim of 25k just on fees. Oh I know, seller pays right? YOU'RE GOING TO BE THE SELLER one day.

I'd 100% use this AC and appraisal as an out if you are having second thoughts. At minimum, don't fucking pay a dime over appraisal.