Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:12 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:37 pm

:waiting:
did you drive one or nah?
Brah, I was busy this weekend.
The question remains not answered :rage:
max225

Ninja edit ! That’s some epic distance
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:57 pm Update: Dropped by the more local :jeep: :dillerman: to at least sit in a JGC.

Fuck me is it comfy.

Nice vehicle. One thing I didn’t like was the heated seats and wheel being run thru the infotainment. Aside from that... :notbad:
Yeah. They don't suck.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:00 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:31 pm

Yeah. They don't suck.
I sat in a 2019 Limited X in the slate blue. Black interior.

Seats were :megusta:

Nice long seat bottoms for a long legged feller’ like myself.
Yep
I've driven one extensively through the refinery. It was a beat to SHIT rental but man I appreciated it. Comfortable as f, rode well, bangin' stereo, handled freaking great.... Hard to go wrong and it's easy to see why they sell an assload of these.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Regular LJs seem to be in the low teens around me, for a non-Rubicon. Found one for $13k with 78k miles on it, auto, and silver. No hardtop.
Kinda thinking a LJ would be pretty sweet to wheel for awhile. :iono:

The garage around the corner from me has an auto TJ with a hardtop that we may go take for a spin. I’m curious how the 4speed autos are and how much noise there is with the hardtop.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:25 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:06 pm

Yep
I've driven one extensively through the refinery. It was a beat to SHIT rental but man I appreciated it. Comfortable as f, rode well, bangin' stereo, handled freaking great.... Hard to go wrong and it's easy to see why they sell an assload of these.
Agreed. Super kampfy. I bet they drive great.

I'm definitely worried about reliability, especially with the air suspension, though. Shame they don't offer the Trailhawk in a non-air package. And then there's depreciation. :notsure:

I think I'm back to still considering the 4Runner for reliability/depreciation reasons, trying to find a local one with KDSS to drive for :science: . I've been plugging VINs into the Toyota Vehicle Spec page to find one: https://www.toyota.com/owners/my-vehicl ... cification
2 minutes of google-fu suggests electrical system, transmission, and possibly the air system as weak points. :notsure: I didn't dive into any details on it.
4R is basically problem free but more of a sloth to drive. I'd be interested in your impressions of a KDSS model. I like the 4R aside from the muted barge aspect and lazy powertrain.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:36 am Also, driver side of the :jeep: seems to have leaked yesterday. :iono:

I'm ready for something with a fucking fixed roof.
:sad: that's completely unacceptable for a vehicle that isn't very old at all.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:36 am Also, driver side of the :jeep: seems to have leaked yesterday. :iono:

I'm ready for something with a fucking fixed roof.
We had some crazy weather last night; I had a small bit of water sitting past my door seals this morning.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:52 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:44 am

:sad: that's completely unacceptable for a vehicle that isn't very old at all.
It's disappointing. :flaccid:

I really do like the vehicle - looks great, it's fun/neat to drive, easy to work on. I catch myself looking back at it as I walk away thinking it truly does look cool. The leaking drives me crazy, though. I just wanna put the carpet back in for the sound deadening and temperature insulation.
Swap rear bumpers with me before you sell it :hubba:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:00 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:00 am

Swap rear bumpers with me before you sell it :hubba:
Start driving, brah. :lol:
Yes sir, thank you sir.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:52 pm So, I went and drove a brand spanking new 2019 JGC Trailhawk tonight. Spec'd exactly how I want it. Billet Silver, rock rails. Has a sunroof too, which I don't really care about, but at least it's not the pano roof which is a hard no for me. I'd have driven a used one, but there isn't a used one within 15 miles of me. So, new it was.

Drove great. Felt tight, nimble even. Air suspension is a neat party trick. Seats are uber kampfy. Stock audio sounded great. Do I like it? Yeth. Do I feel it's the right vehicle? I... I don't know.

I feel like an old man yelling at the clouds when it comes to new cars - I don't want super fancy computerized stuff. I want a vehicle that works. And the Wrangler is that to a T. Simple, effective, comfortable even. It just won't fucking stay dry inside.

Sidenote: I went to Carmax to sit in the 4R immediately after the JGC, and they had a line of JK Wronglers lined up. All of them had varying degrees of damp or wet carpet. I had to laugh. :lol:

In conclusion, I just feel confused about what I want now. I want the Wrangler, but without the leaks. So that sounds like I should logically want a 4R but the 4R drives like a limp turd with a wet sponge for a brake pedal. And the JGC feels too fanthy but is probably my ideal vehicle because it's essentially an Alltrack on steroids that can tow things. :iono:
These feels. I feels them too. Exactly my internal dilemma.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:06 pm

I'm starting to think a JLU is the right vehicle. :ban:

I'm gonna sit and spin on it for a while, and hope my feet don't get too wet or warm.
JL is nice. You could go 2 door :iono:
max225

I'm gonna sit and spin on it for a while, and hope my feet don't get too wet or warm.
:lolgasm: :popcorn:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

:science:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:05 pm :science:

That's a lot of Jeeps.

Funny he's complaining to the girl but would never tell any of those guys what he said here.... If it was even partly real.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:28 pm

That's a lot of Jeeps.

Funny he's complaining to the girl but would never tell any of those guys what he said here.... If it was even partly real.
He has so much to say he probably doesn't have enough time to speak his mind towards his owners. Just see when they squash down his Toyota Matrix.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I think you can’t go wrong with a JGC. They seem like pretty great all around SUV’s and they still have that JEEP flair compared to a Toyota Highlander or some shit.

It’s a pretty tried and true platform so I don’t think you’d have any major dealings with gremlins and if so the parts/labor should be cheaper since it’s been around for forever.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I agree with JP, two door would be :neat:

Supplies would mostly be in the camper? But :iono: they are sweet and make much better DDs than a JK it seems.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I like the extra space in the 4-door. It's amazing how often you use the back seats for putting random things. I think it's the ideal size for a vehicle.

2-door would work, but might get a tad old over time...especially towing. That short wheelbase would be a pain...they're only rated to tow 1k lbs as a result.

The best of them all is the JT. The long wheelbase makes it look weird, but holy hell is it comfy to put miles on. Tracks straighter, minimal body motion, tons of space in the back seat, it's really my favorite. I'll have a report this weekend on towing performance.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Vertical video :triggered:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

So a guy at work has a JK Sport with the plastic bumpers and recently discovered that squirrels have been eating it. :wtf:

I was looking at it last night and they've already taken a nice chunk out of one of his fenders and they're starting on the other side. Lots of bites on the bumper as well. They've already sampled pretty much all of the exterior plastic aside from the door handles. Squirrels really eat :jeep: s?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:59 am I like the extra space in the 4-door. It's amazing how often you use the back seats for putting random things. I think it's the ideal size for a vehicle.

2-door would work, but might get a tad old over time...especially towing. That short wheelbase would be a pain...they're only rated to tow 1k lbs as a result.

The best of them all is the JT. The long wheelbase makes it look weird, but holy hell is it comfy to put miles on. Tracks straighter, minimal body motion, tons of space in the back seat, it's really my favorite. I'll have a report this weekend on towing performance.
:iono: JT is MASSIVE. I couldn't even park that thing where I live. I just prefer smaller cars :doe: , but can see the point about more space in the four door. Just wondering for [user not found], who hates people, no CF, etc, just take the back seats out and have a cool little mini :truk: :jeep:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:12 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:59 am I like the extra space in the 4-door. It's amazing how often you use the back seats for putting random things. I think it's the ideal size for a vehicle.

:iono: JT is MASSIVE. I couldn't even park that thing where I live. I just prefer smaller cars :doe: , but can see the point about more space in the four door. Just wondering for [user not found], who hates people, no CF, etc, just take the back seats out and have a cool little mini :truk: :jeep:
JT really isn't as massive as it seems on paper because it's still narrow. It's a long vehicle for sure, but I'm amazed by how small it feels overall. I've been whipping it around tight city things and parking garages with zero issue regularly. Turning radius is just as good if not better than the ZR2, and somehow the length just doesn't seem to get in the way of anything. To me, it's the width that kills when maneuvering big vehicles.

Obviously :wrong: because I'm the only one that actually owns one of these.

The 2-door would work great for Zil...except for towing. It would be a bold move to tow his camper regularly behind a 2-door. The wheelbase just isn't long enough.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:34 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:12 am

JT really isn't as massive as it seems on paper because it's still narrow. It's a long vehicle for sure, but I'm amazed by how small it feels overall. I've been whipping it around tight city things and parking garages with zero issue regularly. Turning radius is just as good if not better than the ZR2, and somehow the length just doesn't seem to get in the way of anything. To me, it's the width that kills when maneuvering big vehicles.

Obviously :wrong: because I'm the only one that actually owns one of these.

The 2-door would work great for Zil...except for towing. It would be a bold move to tow his camper regularly behind a 2-door. The wheelbase just isn't long enough.
Do not do this.

A few years back a friend tried to tow his small trailer to our desert camping trip. Winds were a little high, but nothing crazy. Within 40 miles on the freeway it got shitty fast jumping side to side and he tried to slow with minimal brakes and it ended up jack-knifing it and had to total the trailer.

The CHP told him they were amazed the Jeep wasn't impacted as almost all of the 2 door towing incidents total the trailer and the Jeep.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Can't believe your leak drama man! Thats SAD. Mine was bone dry. We just put a used top on my sisters and its dry as well.