Griffdog House Search

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:57 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:18 am

This is really the challenge with compromising between two people.

I am insistent on a garage. Most homes here in the areas we'd most prefer don't have garages unless >$600K.

She has several "musts" - no "transitional/up and coming" areas, must be quiet street, must have nice :fancy: kitchen. She has some major fear issues that are kind of limiting. It would be easier to find all of that in target areas with no garage or a garage house without these things... but it's tough finding the middle ground. We both are a bit more flexible on area I think, we'll see how we feel over at these houses today.

If it were just me, I'd probably buy this place: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/516- ... 6843_zpid/

Two car garage, great location, huge driveway space, way cheaper... but it's on a main road so it's too loud for her, and "old houses are scary" :rolleyes: so it's a :nope:
:wat:

So are you only looking at new builds then? That screws you royally IMO, and not at all warranted.

Says the dude that hasn't owned a house newer than 80 years old (current house is 109 years old). I LOVE old houses. They truly don't build them like they used to.

That said, these requirements are going to make it really tough. I'd highly suggest being open to doing some work on a place to get the area you want. It'll pay off in the long run. If the kitchen is slightly out of date, but the space is good, then it could just be a coat of paint on the cabinets and some new appliances away from being awesome.

Doing house work is a part of ownershit, or it'll bankrupt you. Even on a new build, look at all that Brad had to go through. If you're not willing to do some work, you should seriously consider continued renting.
Doesn't have to be new but like 1975+ basically. And trust me... I realize this is ridiculous and so does she, but it is what it is.. "old shit is scary" and that's not going to change any time soon. Really just depends on her "vibe" of the place more than anything and if it could be "haunted" :rolleyes:

THis is my :tits: version of the heated steering wheel thing.

Painting cabinets and such is definitely fine, but requiring full on $60K reno :nope: . HOnestly the gayrage is the huge issue that's limiting... homes here simply weren't built with garages like they were up noth... until the early 80s it wasn't a thing and most of the 'good" areas were built long before that. I am simply not skipping the garage, period.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:11 am
wap wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:09 pm

That's my favorite place you've posted so far. Real porch, nice deck, decent kitchen, gayrage, cool back yard, seemingly decent closet space, nice tree views out of several windows, etc. :megusta:
Looking at this :excited:
:popcorn:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:01 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:57 am
:wat:

So are you only looking at new builds then? That screws you royally IMO, and not at all warranted.

Says the dude that hasn't owned a house newer than 80 years old (current house is 109 years old). I LOVE old houses. They truly don't build them like they used to.

That said, these requirements are going to make it really tough. I'd highly suggest being open to doing some work on a place to get the area you want. It'll pay off in the long run. If the kitchen is slightly out of date, but the space is good, then it could just be a coat of paint on the cabinets and some new appliances away from being awesome.

Doing house work is a part of ownershit, or it'll bankrupt you. Even on a new build, look at all that Brad had to go through. If you're not willing to do some work, you should seriously consider continued renting.
Doesn't have to be new but like 1975+ basically. And trust me... I realize this is ridiculous and so does she, but it is what it is.. "old shit is scary" and that's not going to change any time soon. Really just depends on her "vibe" of the place more than anything and if it could be "haunted" :rolleyes:

THis is my :tits: version of the heated steering wheel thing.

Painting cabinets and such is definitely fine, but requiring full on $60K reno :nope: . HOnestly the gayrage is the huge issue that's limiting... homes here simply weren't built with garages like they were up noth... until the early 80s it wasn't a thing and most of the 'good" areas were built long before that. I am simply not skipping the garage, period.
Don't compromise on the garage unless you want to pay for it in a :unicorn: house situation (perfect in every way and the lot can accept the garage). And assume at least $50k to build a new garage (2.5 cars).

I'm really excited about my new garage...it's awesome being able to dictate what I want it to be. At the same time, the cost has been insane. Fortunately, the neighborhood will pay us back for it should we decide to sell (which I don't want to do for a while). I've had a number of guys come over asking about it, and when I tell them the price tag they say "oh, that's not as bad as I thought". :wat: :waxer: THAT's the nice thing about living in a :fancy: area.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:55 am
:dat: but I wouldn't write it off. Get as close to the area as you can on your budget.

Area is so much more important than the house itself. I can't stress this enough.

I am insistent on a garage. Most homes here in the areas we'd most prefer don't have garages unless >$600K.

She has several "musts" - no "transitional/up and coming" areas, must be quiet street, must have nice :fancy: kitchen. She has some major fear issues that are kind of limiting. It would be easier to find all of that in target areas with no garage or a garage house without these things... but it's tough finding the middle ground. We both are a bit more flexible on area I think, we'll see how we feel over at these houses today.

If it were just me, I'd probably buy this place: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/516- ... 6843_zpid/

Two car garage, great location, huge driveway space, way cheaper... but it's on a main road so it's too loud for her, and "old houses are scary" :rolleyes: so it's a :nope:
:lolwut:
:ayfkm:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:44 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:11 am

Looking at this :excited:
Sadly we didn't really love it, lot was a huge hill with kind of a meh yard, needs some definite updates. Nice house but I don't think it's worth leaving the area we want for it.

I think my favorite is still that townhouse.

It is hard finding something that works :millennial: .
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

:dat: but I wouldn't write it off. Get as close to the area as you can on your budget.

Area is so much more important than the house itself. I can't stress this enough.

The window shutter covering the exposed plumbing is :pinshit: level: Expert :mindblown:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:57 pm

The window shutter covering the exposed plumbing is :pinshit: level: Expert :mindblown:
See, I'd be perfectly happy to have green tub, sink, toilet for the rest of my life NFG. 1950 chic.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

1950’s chic is actually my wife’s ideal house style. That or mid-mod. Makes house shopping kinda easy honestly; doesn’t matter if it has a blue bathroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wap

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:25 pm

Sadly we didn't really love it, lot was a huge hill with kind of a meh yard, needs some definite updates. Nice house but I don't think it's worth leaving the area we want for it.

:|
At least now you know so you can :scoot: on to other possibilities.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

nakenyon wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:20 pm 1950’s chic is actually my wife’s ideal house style. That or mid-mod. Makes house shopping kinda easy honestly; doesn’t matter if it has a blue bathroom.

:impressive:

I love "mid-mod" myself, you just taught me that's what it's called.
wap

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:13 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:57 pm

See, I'd be perfectly happy to have green tub, sink, toilet for the rest of my life NFG. 1950 chic.
One thing about 50's bathrooms, they are durable as fuck. The wall and floor tiles are really thicc and seem to last forever. :wasteful: and I both have 50's bathrooms and other than the shitty ( :iswydt: ) layout of his toilet placement, I'm guessing it's still overall in decent shape, as is mine.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

It's hard to find a three car garage, Wolf Appliances, and no Scare Bear right next to hipster bars and restaurants.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

D Griff wrote:
nakenyon wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:20 pm 1950’s chic is actually my wife’s ideal house style. That or mid-mod. Makes house shopping kinda easy honestly; doesn’t matter if it has a blue bathroom.

:impressive:

I love "mid-mod" myself, you just taught me that's what it's called.
Glad to be of service. It’s one of my favorite styles.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:27 pm

It's hard to find a three car garage, Wolf Appliances, and no Scare Bear right next to hipster bars and restaurants.
:dat:

At least I know we're being difficult :lolol:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Old houses actually turn out great when renovated. I don't see how it is "scary"
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:44 pm

Old houses actually turn out great when renovated. I don't see how it is "scary"
I agree... :tits: man :wtf:

Oddly enough after looking at those houses today, she came back really feeling like we should get this one: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/711- ... 6783_zpid/

Which is old. It has a lot going for it IMO, definitely the best investment of the bunch, has by far the best property/land, best location as well... but dang man... dat carport doe. If she really wants to pull the trigger on this one I think I'm on board as I love the area and most everything else around it is $400K+.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:53 pm

Oddly enough after looking at those houses today, she came back really feeling like we should get this one: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/711- ... 6783_zpid/

Which is old. It has a lot going for it IMO, definitely the best investment of the bunch, has by far the best property/land, best location as well... but dang man... dat carport doe. If she really wants to pull the trigger on this one I think I'm on board as I love the area and most everything else around it is $400K+.
This one is :nice: but open garage :doe: but shed can probably be used for tools, but thats about it.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:59 pm

This one is :nice: but open garage :doe: but shed can probably be used for tools, but thats about it.
Yeah, the carport would be it for now, could work with it, I mean, it beats anything I've ever had before, but still, it's no garage. We are going to look at it again this evening.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:05 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:59 pm

Yeah, the carport would be it for now, could work with it, I mean, it beats anything I've ever had before, but still, it's no garage. We are going to look at it again this evening.
I would rock that house, still has a good place to work on my car, not getting bird poop, etc.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote: I am simply not skipping the garage, period.
:wrong:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:08 pm
Been looking at the target neighborhood, there are some other decent places sans carport that have better houses... I think I'll float the idea to realtor/ :tits: of buying one of those then just getting one of these: www.alansfactoryoutlet.com

Looks like is's about $7K for a decent setup that would be larger than many of what these places offer.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Hey nice looking place, can you enclose that garage space? The roof is the hardest part anyways.. add walls and a garage door mang
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:08 pm
:lolgasm:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I like this a lot.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

For being such a hotbed of Nascar, Charlotte sure does hate the garage.