Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:41 pm

It's never gonna happen so not really an issue. She's dead set on staying in the Carolinas I think... which is fine.
That's a lot better than being dead set on staying in the Dakotas.
Yeah I'm happy here, just kinda limited employment in my field but it seems like that can be worked out :notbad:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

thoughts on dis, go to 3:05
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:21 pm thoughts on dis, go to 3:05
There is only 1 person that can afford this, on this forum and that person wants a big dick diesel not some Oriental School bus.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:29 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:44 am
I want to talk with you about them. They seemed so cool. And I didn’t know they were so affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check my insta yo. @dubshow
Yeah I’m already following. The car is beautiful. I’m more curious about info between FF and vee. Granted I have no track time and only a few autocross runs under my belt. So I need more time to determine my budget and how much I’m willing to put into this or my vw.

I was looking for insight as to how the races go, what are your major expenses, which class would you do if you could restart the process, why did you get into a vee?

Pretty much I want your life story and when you think a person might be ready for the jump.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:15 pm

Yeah I’m already following. The car is beautiful. I’m more curious about info between FF and vee. Granted I have no track time and only a few autocross runs under my belt. So I need more time to determine my budget and how much I’m willing to put into this or my vw.

I was looking for insight as to how the races go, what are your major expenses, which class would you do if you could restart the process, why did you get into a vee?

Pretty much I want your life story and when you think a person might be ready for the jump.
That's a lot to type up. Pm me your number and we can talk on the ole phone.

Basically form vee is a "cheaper" cost of entry that is slower than form ford. I found this for $5k. Consumables are cheap on air-cooled vw shit. It fit budget and was cool. Hindsight, idk. I like being fast locally. It's not competitive nationally.

Down side is not much competition in class. Always fun to be top pack in raw time for autox events.

My car balances between "vintage" with a few modern upgrades. Pure vintage OG minty cars fetch around 10-15k. Modern built Vees with the old 1200cc fetch around 10-18k race ready but there just aren't many running nationally. Apexspeed is the forum for the hold out vee racers.

Formula First was a good class to modernize the car and run a widely available 1600 cc with disc brakes and better suspension. My car is half and half between classes. So it's a mutt for autox in current config. You need to assess what kind of racing you want to do. Wheel to wheel on track, the vee is limited and you are better off with your R. That's too nice? Get a Miata.
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:44 pm

That's a lot to type up. Pm me your number and we can talk on the ole phone.

Basically form vee is a "cheaper" cost of entry that is slower than form ford. I found this for $5k. Consumables are cheap on air-cooled vw shit. It fit budget and was cool. Hindsight, idk. I like being fast locally. It's not competitive nationally.

Down side is not much competition in class. Always fun to be top pack in raw time for autox events.

My car balances between "vintage" with a few modern upgrades. Pure vintage OG minty cars fetch around 10-15k. Modern built Vees with the old 1200cc fetch around 10-18k race ready but there just aren't many running nationally. Apexspeed is the forum for the hold out vee racers.

Formula First was a good class to modernize the car and run a widely available 1600 cc with disc brakes and better suspension. My car is half and half between classes. So it's a mutt for autox in current config. You need to assess what kind of racing you want to do. Wheel to wheel on track, the vee is limited and you are better off with your R. That's too nice? Get a Miata.
Lol I’ve got a shitty Miata and the r32. Haha

Thanks for the info. I’ll shoot you my number. But I can’t talk tonight. Doing homework.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Heyo. I think I'm the only one on here that's done actual wheel to wheel shit.

You need more time behind the wheel to see what you like. The jump to an open wheel car is a huge one. For one, you will need a truck to haul all this shit. They are fast. They are maintenance intensive. If you fuck up they can kill you (on a big track).

Do you want track days or club racing? You need the former in order to be competent for the later.

I'd recommend doing a school like whatever Barber racing turned into. They did a two day thing where they start you in a car then you go to a low grip FF type thing.

https://www.skipbarber.com/

Another path is to do Lemons, champcar, or AER.
NASA is another organization to look at. Lookk on the forums for a rental seat from a mid their or low tier team to start. Lots of seat time for the money.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I was just talking to a coworker about this yesterday. While it makes cool YouTube content, I highly doubt any normal person (the people who buy these things) will notice a difference between this and a really good air suspension setup.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:05 am

You need more time behind the wheel to see what you like. The jump to an open wheel car is a huge one. For one, you will need a truck to haul all this shit. They are fast. They are maintenance intensive. If you fuck up they can kill you (on a big track).

Do you want track days or club racing? You need the former in order to be competent for the later.

I'd recommend doing a school like whatever Barber racing turned into. They did a two day thing where they start you in a car then you go to a low grip FF type thing.

NASA is another organization to look at. Lookk on the forums for a rental seat from a mid their or low tier team to start. Lots of seat time for the money.
:word: I haven't done wheel-to-wheel but have a solid handful of track days and a couple dozen autox under my belt over the years. Barnes, I feel like you've flopped around between a few cars, talked about tracking a lot, continued shopping, etc. I'd reiterate what Brad said and say, just go out and get some seat time. Do like 10 track days in your VW and see how you like it, what's good, what's bad. I am pretty happy just doing HPDE and don't feel the need to get into club racing, although I hope to one day, maybe like 25 years down the line when I have more time post CF.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:22 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:27 am
Mine would actually. We're both very over the rat race and starting to discuss exit strategies...
Utah is beautiful, but the personnel, other than someplace like Park City, is, uh, not compatible with DFDers AT ALL.
Fuck your religious beliefs. Separation mother fucker.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:dat: is spelled out pretty well. I have less seat time than :fax: but have done on and off autox for years. I havent graduated to a full track day yet. Once I open that can of worms, it will be expensive.

I'd recommend going to open track days HPDE (Track night in America) then nasa events. Find a class you like. The R is perfect for going that route, but it seems like a really nice car to become a track rat that will take abuse.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

dubshow wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:26 am

:dat: is spelled out pretty well. I have less seat time than :fax: but have done on and off autox for years. I havent graduated to a full track day yet. Once I open that can of worms, it will be expensive.

I'd recommend going to open track days HPDE (Track night in America) then nasa events. Find a class you like. The R is perfect for going that route, but it seems like a really nice car to become a track rat that will take abuse.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/
:dat: :dat: :dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:47 am
I was just talking to a coworker about this yesterday. While it makes cool YouTube content, I highly doubt any normal person (the people who buy these things) will notice a difference between this and a really good air suspension setup.
:dat: it's almost like they are dumping money on these features even though the majority will stick to normal mode. :sad:

I think it's kinda cool to autocross, but I would only get this as a daily if I'm really rich.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:28 pm
:dat: it's almost like they are dumping money on these features even though the majority will stick to normal mode. :sad:

I think it's kinda cool to autocross, but I would only get this as a daily if I'm really rich.
Nobody's autoxing the fucking MB minivan :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

I don't think it is meant for autocross it is meant to not have your coffee spill on the new Burberry pair of dress slacks, and possibly even the hublot you have resting in the cup holder, since you're adjusting your Tiffany cufflinks.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:34 pm

Nobody's autoxing the fucking MB minivan :doe:
:wrong:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:36 pm

I don't think it is meant for autocross it is meant to not have your coffee spill on the new Burberry pair of dress slacks, and possibly even the hublot you have resting in the cup holder, since you're adjusting your Tiffany cufflinks.
Yeah except it will, because they'll rather focus on calling their sugar daddy to take my benzie to the dealer for a TPMS light, spill their starbucks with extra foam on their michael kors rather than finding it; while end up getting a bill for $250 for the tpms cancellation service
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:42 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:36 pm

Yeah except it will, because they'll rather focus on calling their sugar daddy to take my benzie to the dealer for a TPMS light, spill their starbucks with extra foam on their michael kors rather than finding it; while end up getting a bill for $250 for the tpms cancellation service
Ain't nobody rocking Michael Kors in a 6 figure benzo. They are also not paying a penny for warranty claims, because car is covered for the 2-4 years they will own it.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:43 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:42 pm

Ain't nobody rocking Michael Kors in a 6 figure benzo. They are also not paying a penny for warranty claims, because car is covered for the 2-4 years they will own it.
Lot of azn's who drive them here and live in $400-600k townhouses do
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:45 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:43 pm

AZNs pay cash for their real estate and they don't rock MK. That's 6 years ago, and now for the poors. Luis/Chanel/Gucci bruh. Know thy brands.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:47 pm

AZNs pay cash for their real estate and they don't rock MK. That's 6 years ago, and now for the poors. Luis/Chanel/Gucci bruh. Know thy brands.
Then I live with "poor" azn's :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:wtf: How do you know what any of these are?

I do actually have an MK suit which was pretty inexpensive, like $150-200.
max225

I’m going out on a whim here and say.... I don’t like the 992. The only improvement is the exterior.

Interior is weird ... gear shifter is weird
Hvac is weird
No visible engine :(
Digi dashes
Those :fullretard: door handles
Piano black everywhere :disgust:
Barely any performance improvement
150k for an average optioned one
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:19 pm

:wtf: How do you know what any of these are?

I do actually have an MK suit which was pretty inexpensive, like $150-200.
I dunno, I have been semi exposed to it for a while. My last azn was brand whoring cuz she could afford it, my stepmom is also a yuge brandwhore as she's lived that life for a bit... I also like being in touch with all that so that I actually understand what is going on in the 1% world to some extent, in case it comes up.

Me however, I pride myself in being a :scrooge: when I can :aintcare:

https://stomp.straitstimes.com/singapor ... e-being-so
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:11 pm

I’m going out on a whim here and say.... I don’t like the 992. The only improvement is the exterior.

Interior is weird ... gear shifter is weird
Hvac is weird
No visible engine :(
Digi dashes
Those :fullretard: door handles
Piano black everywhere :disgust:
Barely any performance improvement
150k for an average optioned one
It was all downhill once they water cooled those things.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.