Talk British to me: All things MINI

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:05 am
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:04 pm https://www.dinancars.com/product/d440- ... id=Cooper/

Someone is selling this for $375 locally... Carb legal tune... supposedly gets the car from 228 to 280 hp... :notsure:
I'd get this: https://www.burgertuning.com/collection ... 38-b48-jb4
Do they have JCW specific tunes ? Seems like they are just randomly applying one software to that entire engine family, even though there are a few differences
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:11 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:05 am

I'd get this: https://www.burgertuning.com/collection ... 38-b48-jb4
Do they have JCW specific tunes ? Seems like they are just randomly applying one software to that entire engine family, even though there are a few differences
I believe they do. The files are all different when you grab the images, at least for the BMW and Porsche stuff they do that. I would think they are tweaking the tunes for mini as well. Burger is pretty damned good and also conservative so crap doesn't go wrong.

Looks like it is at least somewhat customized. Here's the page with instructions and firmware downloads:. https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33083
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:17 am
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:11 am
I believe they do. The files are all different when you grab the images, at least for the BMW and Porsche stuff they do that. I would think they are tweaking the tunes for mini as well. Burger is pretty damned good and also conservative so crap doesn't go wrong.

Looks like it is at least somewhat customized. Here's the page with instructions and firmware downloads:. https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33083
From all i've read, Burger, BootMod3 and Dinan all seem better than the VW options... this is why BMW t00ning is so tempting.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

It’s still a piggyback and not to be confused with a true flash/toon.
Tunes can offer raised speed limiters, launch control etc while the Dinan/JB units are still fairly limited in that regard.

I mean I’m happy with their products, having used them on three different cars and engines now, but it‘a not comparable to a JCW-specific tune.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Do they have BootMod3 for the MINI? Seems like all the N20 bros on the BMW side who've moved to that from :baconator: prefer it.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:43 pm Do they have BootMod3 for the MINI? Seems like all the N20 bros on the BMW side who've moved to that from :baconator: prefer it.
:wat: is a BootMod ?

Also what is the advantage of a "tune" to a "piggyback" i thought they all do the same thing, but one just raises boost via cracking the ECU lock out software and the other via tricking the sensors.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:43 pm Do they have BootMod3 for the MINI? Seems like all the N20 bros on the BMW side who've moved to that from :baconator: prefer it.

Also what is the advantage of a "tune" to a "piggyback" i thought they all do the same thing, but one just raises boost via cracking the ECU lock out software and the other via tricking the sensors.
It's an actual ECU tune, no need to crack into the ECU :doe: , it is performed by connecting your laptop to the car and uploading software. You're correct, the piggy back just tricks sensors. Tuning can make more adjustments and such which in theory yields better results.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:11 pm Those wheel splitter side things..... woof
Yeah man I don't know how to assimilate with those.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:05 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:48 pm

It's an actual ECU tune, no need to crack into the ECU :doe: , it is performed by connecting your laptop to the car and uploading software. You're correct, the piggy back just tricks sensors. Tuning can make more adjustments and such which in theory yields better results.
Nah man, I don't want anyone changing actual parameters as such. The piggyback beauty is most "safety" nets are still in place and it is 100% reversible. I have no idea about the other piece.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:09 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:05 pm

Nah man, I don't want anyone changing actual parameters as such. The piggyback beauty is most "safety" nets are still in place and it is 100% reversible. I have no idea about the other piece.
I'd piggyback then. Maybe Berger JB+ is a good compromise for you?
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:10 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Seems that way, I am just trying to figure out what the tunes actually do and find out more info. A random ass dyno graph with nothing but GAINZZZ is fairly irrelevant to me.

The factory drive modes are pretty wild on this car, it changes the actual exhaust note and transmission shift points etc. I am worried that the tune may eff shit up.

Ugh... I wanna roll the dice but at the same time, I really like the factory tune... I wouldn't mind more powaaa though...
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:14 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:10 pm

Seems that way, I am just trying to figure out what the tunes actually do and find out more info. A random ass dyno graph with nothing but GAINZZZ is fairly irrelevant to me.

The factory drive modes are pretty wild on this car, it changes the actual exhaust note and transmission shift points etc. I am worried that the tune may eff shit up.

Ugh... I wanna roll the dice but at the same time, I really like the factory tune... I wouldn't mind more powaaa though...
JB+ just alters the amount of boost from the turbo. It won't mess up the drive modes.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:27 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:14 pm

JB+ just alters the amount of boost from the turbo. It won't mess up the drive modes.
Tempting... :oops:
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Don’t bother with the JB+, get the full JB4.

Install takes like 30 min and just make sure you have the correct map for CA donkey piss, and you’re good to go.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Swedish Chef wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:08 pm Don’t bother with the JB+, get the full JB4.

Install takes like 30 min and just make sure you have the correct map for CA donkey piss, and you’re good to go.
:dat:

I loved it on my m235. All they do in a nutshell is tell the ECU that the turbos are producing a bit less boost than they are at certain RPM ranges and certain amounts of timing (to keep it safe).

The "maps" are really mostly the amount of PSI they add.

I still need to install mine on the 911, but I haven't felt up to it yet with my recent condition.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:41 pm
Swedish Chef wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:08 pm Don’t bother with the JB+, get the full JB4.

I loved it on my m235. All they do in a nutshell is tell the ECU that the turbos are producing a bit less boost than they are at certain RPM ranges and certain amounts of timing (to keep it safe).

I still need to install mine on the 911, but I haven't felt up to it yet with my recent condition.
STOP TEMPTING ME!
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:59 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:41 pm

STOP TEMPTING ME!
Well I think you’ll have to run it on 91/93 after that, can’t continue to use regular.
max225

Mini forum is :disgust:

2 days for a reply, I asked about how much oil changes cost at :dillerman: got some :fakenews: with one guy stating that he spends $67, but it’s a once a “month special” at the :dillerman:

Another guy saying don’t change at 10k you have to do it at 5k, I asked :butwhy: and if he sent to Blackstone, he came back with “what’s Blackstone ? I am doing it every 3k and I know I’m wasting money but I don’t care”
:triggered: by the :fullretard: ignorance
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:39 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:59 am

STOP TEMPTING ME!
Well I think you’ll have to run it on 91/93 after that, can’t continue to use regular.
I have actually been using 93 now :aintcare: ... I used 89 for a while, after the misfire/plugs incident, I figured, fuck it, :troywax: .
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:01 am Mini forum is :disgust:

2 days for a reply, I asked about how much oil changes cost at :dillerman: got some :fakenews: with one guy stating that he spends $67, but it’s a once a “month special” at the :dillerman:

Another guy saying don’t change at 10k you have to do it at 5k, I asked :butwhy: and if he sent to Blackstone, he came back with “what’s Blackstone ? I am doing it every 3k and I know I’m wasting money but I don’t care”
I hear you.
I signed up on North American Motoring as that seemed most active, but it’s still just about dead.

I wouldn’t worry about changing it every 10k.
Mfrs state like 15-18k in Europe and although that’s more than I’d be comfortable with, every 3-5k for a daily is just as crazy if you ask me.
max225

Swedish Chef wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:26 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:01 am Mini forum is :disgust:

I hear you.
I signed up on North American Motoring as that seemed most active, but it’s still just about dead.

I wouldn’t worry about changing it every 10k.
Mfrs state like 15-18k in Europe and although that’s more than I’d be comfortable with, every 3-5k for a daily is just as crazy if you ask me.
I don't see an issue with 10k changes for a car that will get 100-150k miles the engine will outlast my interest for sure. If I care enough at some point, I'll blackstone it... but so far :aintcare:
max225

Does anyone know where/how to get aftermarket smaller wheels for the mini? Tire/rack only has 2 fugly 17s and 54 18" wheels. It would be nice to get some :215: s or :225: s on the front of this thing...
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

You want 16"? Or is 17" the minimum size?

Look for some used Team Dynamics wheels. They have multiple widths for 17" wheels with your 5x112 bolt pattern.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:48 pm You want 16"? Or is 17" the minimum size?

Look for some used Team Dynamics wheels. They have multiple widths for 17" wheels with your 5x112 bolt pattern.
17” is the smallest I can go due to the giant calipers
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:48 pm You want 16"? Or is 17" the minimum size?

Looks like the 1.2 Model would fit... in 17" size, but I don't know whether to look at 7.5 or 8" width... i think OEM is 7...