Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:47 pm Turbo powerplants include direction injection and whatnot that's much better for greenhouse gas requirements from .gov's around the world.
So you're saying a turbo motor of hp to the 3.6 would be cleaner ?
:butwhy:
They have the same 4/10 rating with the .gov
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:47 pm Turbo powerplants include direction injection and whatnot that's much better for greenhouse gas requirements from .gov's around the world.
Essentially, yes. There's calcs behind the scenes for this and makes no sense to the customer because there's zero transparency.

It's a big issue because OEMs are being forced to push more expensive/complex but "cleaner" on .gov paper to consumers when the less "clean" engines perform exactly the same.

No consumers care about teragrams of carbon emissions.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:01 pm

Essentially, yes. There's calcs behind the scenes for this and makes no sense to the customer because there's zero transparency.

It's a big issue because OEMs are being forced to push more expensive/complex but "cleaner" on .gov paper to consumers when the less "clean" engines perform exactly the same.

ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:01 pm

:lolgasm:

She's probably the only consumer that cares about teragrams of carbon emission, and she'll never have enough money to buy any vehicle anyway.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

She has enough money to sail on a carbon fiber Yacht across the Atlantic.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:08 pm She has enough money to sail on a carbon fiber Yacht across the Atlantic.
SHE doesn't, but the people who support her must. How the hell do you make carbon fiber sailing yacht money as a 14 year old :baby: :pout: about ruining the planet?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

The reason the 2.0T exists is two fold to my understanding...
1) Marginally better fuel economy for CAFE reasons. 1-2 MPG improvement, 10%, on your biggest selling vehicle can have a large impact.
2) Taxes abroad. Other countries get taxed or pay yearly on engine displacement, so there's a heavy incentive to have a motor that's under 2.0L for places like China and Europe, and the Jeep fits that at 1995cc.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:36 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:08 pm She has enough money to sail on a carbon fiber Yacht across the Atlantic.
SHE doesn't, but the people who support her must. How the hell do you make carbon fiber sailing yacht money as a 14 year old :baby: :pout: about ruining the planet?
Followers ! Have you seen her Twitter?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:36 pm
Followers ! Have you seen her Twitter?
I don't social media. :disgust: :wap:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:37 pm

1) Marginally better fuel economy for CAFE reasons. 1-2 MPG improvement, 10%, on your biggest selling vehicle can have a large impact.
2) Taxes abroad. Other countries get taxed or pay yearly on engine displacement, so there's a heavy incentive to have a motor that's under 2.0L for places like China and Europe, and the Jeep fits that at 1995cc.
More so it's green house gas emissions, measured most commonly in teragrams of carbon emission. It's a bigger deal in Europe than here, but :thanksobama: instituted some pretty tight regs around this too. Trump's trying to undo that, sure...but when a new powertrain pricetag starts with a number with 9 zeros behind it, future planning is pretty critical.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:44 pm

More so it's green house gas emissions, measured most commonly in teragrams of carbon emission. It's a bigger deal in Europe than here, but :thanksobama: instituted some pretty tight regs around this too. Trump's trying to undo that, sure...but when a new powertrain pricetag starts with a number with 9 zeros behind it, future planning is pretty critical.
Ah. Interesting.
max225

It is listed as slightly lower 10% for the 2.slow. Is that big enough to justify the capex ? The euro thing makes perfect sense though. The 2.slow powered jeep is quite stout actually based on everything I can find. Even in rubi trim its still around 7ish to 60 which is :notbad: at all
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:16 pm
It is listed as slightly lower 10% for the 2.slow. Is that big enough to justify the capex ? The euro thing makes perfect sense though. The 2.slow powered jeep is quite stout actually based on everything I can find. Even in rubi trim its still around 7ish to 60 which is :notbad: at all
10% is HUGE in this world. Especially when non compliance means huge fines or worse...not able to sell vehicles.

I really like the 2.slow in the wife's JL. It's a really great engine.
ChrisoftheNorth

Fun to get dirty, but also fun to clean up...

Johnny_P

It doesn't suck. It's not really any different speed or power wise than the V6 just doesn't down shift as much on the highway, sounds worse, and has a whiff of turbo lag before it gets going.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:52 pm

It doesn't suck. It's not really any different speed or power wise than the V6 just doesn't down shift as much on the highway, sounds worse, and has a whiff of turbo lag before it gets going.
The BSG really hides any turbo lag. I find the 2.0 BSG to actually be a tad bit more fun around town. It's noticeably torquier, but agreed that it sounds worse by a wide margin. Somehow, the 3.6 exhaust note is tuned to be remarkably sporty. The JT sounds different from the JL, a bit less sporty but with a more powerful truck-like sound. Hard to describe. In contrast, I felt like the 3.6 in my Colorado sounded like the V6's in my mom's GM minivans when I was growing up. Overall very meh.
ChrisoftheNorth

Now that I can park in the corp garage, it's fun making friends.

Skittles this morning with a Challenger Hellcat Widebody...

Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:58 am Now that I can park in the corp garage, it's fun making friends.

:nice:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:13 pm Fun to get dirty, but also fun to clean up...

:megusta:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:58 am Now that I can park in the corp garage, it's fun making friends.

:jimp:
Johnny_P

Oh man I want that Challenger...

Fuuuuuuuuuck I should look at these.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:50 am

Oh man I want that Challenger...

Fuuuuuuuuuck I should look at these.
Especially the widebody. So much :megusta:

A Scat Pack widebody would be pretty epic IMO.
max225

Hard parked :triggered:
Over the lines :triggered:

Do you know the guy in the wide body ?

I just found out my nerdy co worker got a red chally widebody scat. He was talking shit about my mini already :(
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:14 am

Hard parked :triggered:
Over the lines :triggered:

Do you know the guy in the wide body ?

I just found out my nerdy co worker got a red chally widebody scat. He was talking shit about my mini already :(
:lolol:

The spots are angled, dude in the hellcat backed in straight, leaving space for me to hard park. Unless he leaves in the middle of the day, nobody will get triggered by my parking.

I don't know the guy, but I discovered this end of the garage that's full of "fun" cars. I couldn't get a good image, but to the left of where I parked were two minivans, then three Gladiators in a row, two Rubicons (one Whorange like mine but fully loaded), and a Sport that's lifted on big tires. Next to that was a new widebody Charger, and next to that was an SRT Grand Cherokee. It's the last level before the roof, so you don't have to worry about door dings since it's usually pretty open. I need to find out who these people are.
max225

Oh interesting.... I’m weird enough that over time I found out what most people drive. How I made friends with the cornflower blue GTI, dude. And lowered Si dude.

:notsure: if chally dude will get along with me, as he was mean. :pout: