Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:30 am
D Griff wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:24 am

I don't know a ton about them re:reliability but would assume it's not great... they are not mass produced vehicles.

Maybe super car isn't the right word, but at a certain point :whocares: about 0-60 times, I imagine a :manuel: Aston with V8 noises and a manual, a gorgeous exterior, all of it, is way more fun than many sterile things built just for specs. I won't own any of it anytime soon so I'll never know for sure.
I would argue that a mini is likely more fun than that to drive, and a much better bargain, unless you just want the image.

If we are throwing out one of the biggest performance benchmarks like 0-60 for the term supercar, I think we need to reconsider the Prius. The thing definitely brings pleasure to driving by saving money at the pump.

;)
:wrong:

The only way a car can be fun is with a NA V8 that revs to 9k with :manuel: , perfect 50/50 weight distribution, handles potholes with ease but also is perfectly suited for the track, with enough ground clearance to never scrape - ever, rock climbs, hydraulic steering, 200tw tars from the factory that last at least 80k miles and can handle 8 ft of snow, accommodates drivers that are at least 6’6” + helmet, makes at least 500hp on 87, easy to park, visibility so good you don’t need a back up camera - or mirrors for that matter, infotainment that’s perfectly executed and takes up minimal space, 5 star safety rating, weighs no more than 2k lbs, and costs no more than $22k
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:13 am

I would argue that a mini is likely more fun than that to drive, and a much better bargain, unless you just want the image.

If we are throwing out one of the biggest performance benchmarks like 0-60 for the term supercar, I think we need to reconsider the Prius. The thing definitely brings pleasure to driving by saving money at the pump.

;)

The only way a car can be fun is with a NA V8 that revs to 9k with :manuel: , perfect 50/50 weight distribution, handles potholes with ease but also is perfectly suited for the track, with enough ground clearance to never scrape - ever, rock climbs, hydraulic steering, 200tw tars from the factory that last at least 80k miles and can handle 8 ft of snow, accommodates drivers that are at least 6’6” + helmet, makes at least 500hp on 87, easy to park, visibility so good you don’t need a back up camera - or mirrors for that matter, infotainment that’s perfectly executed and takes up minimal space, 5 star safety rating, weighs no more than 2k lbs, and costs no more than $22k
:fax:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

;)

My bad.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

;)

Would buy :iono:

I still think the Aston is :neat: even with it's apparently dangerously slow 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:11 am

I still think the Aston is :neat: even with it's apparently dangerously slow 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds.
At $200k?

Have at it. Mustang performance at McLaren prices. This is 100% the reverse of the Corvette mission.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

$0.82 price increase for premium today :mahman:

Next car will take regular.
Johnny_P

;)

No keyless entry no care
Johnny_P

I don’t like the looks but yeah basically this. 3.9 is fast enough for me. Hell I think my STI is too fast for the street most of the time. I’m hardly ever in boost.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
D Griff wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:11 am Would buy :iono:

At $200k?

Have at it. Mustang performance at McLaren prices. This is 100% the reverse of the Corvette mission.
:dat:

I also think that the newest vantage looks worse anyway - and the newest mustangs continue to improve.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

;)

DFD, in a nutshell. POTY :mahman:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:04 am $0.82 price increase for premium today :mahman:

That’s biting the hand that feeds
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:44 am

At $200k?

:dat: Astons were cool with their v12 and epic styling now... I mean how is it better than a C8?
Porsche makes their own engines and is far better to find service on....
mcchicken seems like they are rapidly improving and certainly playing in that same price point ...

I don’t get Aston at the moment
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:48 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:04 am $0.82 price increase for premium today :mahman:

We don’t make gasoline :mahman:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:08 pm

You just make PowerPoints :mahman:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

But do you make things that would benefit from more gasoline being used ?
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:59 pm

Possibly. That’s one market. Ship fuel is another.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:59 pm

Possibly. That’s one market. Ship fuel is another.
max225

Discuss
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:22 pm

Discuss
I doubt he owns a pair of new balances, goldchains and corvette shirts from Walmart
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
troyguitar

So I missed that this was a thing when they were new:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

500 cars in 2017 in bright ass yellow with fixed calipers all around, cool yellow interior accents, etc. :notbad:

Wife likes yellow cars and BRZ's already, one of these things is a solid maybe. I don't like the black :ramz: but that's an easy fix. Throw some gray wheels and probably black caliper paint on there and :stig: away.

max225

That’s a very bold car... are you ready for the attention?
troyguitar

When it's perceived to be a cheap fun kid's car vs a rich man's toy (regardless of real cost...) it's fine. I act like a dumb kid anyway.

A base 987.1 Cayman is the same price or less and I don't want to deal with the attention that would generate even in rental silver.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:22 pm

Discuss
I'm not sure where you found this, but you should have left it there.

#ruined
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Made a trip to COTA this weekend to watch the SVRA Vintage Nationals Championship.

Man was it awesome. Seeing the range of old cars on track and some new ones too was beautiful. I had never been to a track like that before. I was in awe. Walking around the pits and getting face to face with a Ford GT40, lotus, alfas, porsche, MG, formula fords, etc makes me want to get on track asap.

COTA and Austin are both incredible.