Strut your greasy stuff!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:51 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:36 pm

Where do you guys post about this?
The OT Thread, although frankly I'm considering starting a health problems thread. Waxer, myself, Irish and Ron would be 70% of the contributors.
Old guy problems. :D

So for the record I was diagnosed with hypertension, or extremely high blood pressure, my heart was in AFib, and I have congestive heart failure. Oh, and for now they are calling me diabetic as my blood sugar was running 190-200.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:36 pm

Where do you guys post about this?
The OT Thread, although frankly I'm considering starting a health problems thread. Waxer, myself, Irish and Ron would be 70% of the contributors.
:dat: :(
Max probably has no idea of my drama, either.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:44 pm

Old guy problems. :D

So for the record I was diagnosed with hypertension, or extremely high blood pressure, my heart was in AFib, and I have congestive heart failure. Oh, and for now they are calling me diabetic as my blood sugar was running 190-200.
Fuuuuk. To be fair a diet usually takes care of all 3. But it just sucks to follow
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

So, decided to push myself today and install the JB4.

Got about 1/2 way done and tried to tackle the hardest connector first after I disassembled the engine cover and fans. Then I got a wall both with the install and my feelings. Got fatigued at that point and then realized I need hands about 1/2 the size of mine to reach the intake connector.

:rage:

Put everything back together and called it quits for today. These damned meds make it hard to do anything. Can't wait until Wednesday for my appointment and see if they will take me off some of these pills.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:49 pm So, decided to push myself today and install the JB4.

Got about 1/2 way done and tried to tackle the hardest connector first after I disassembled the engine cover and fans. Then I got a wall both with the install and my feelings. Got fatigued at that point and then realized I need hands about 1/2 the size of mine to reach the intake connector.

Put everything back together and called it quits for today. These damned meds make it hard to do anything. Can't wait until Wednesday for my appointment and see if they will take me off some of these pills.
Is it the blood pressure meds?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:53 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:49 pm So, decided to push myself today and install the JB4.

Is it the blood pressure meds?
It's the beta blocker and the one that is making sure that my heart stays in rhythm.

Monday I go off the beta blocker at least until Wednesday when I have a stress test with EKG. Hopefully I get a good idea how much is the beta blocker and I get to stay off of it.

I've lost 35 pounds, so I hope that has made some changes on its own.
wap

Feels.

It was a very good day every time my cardiologist took me off another pill.
Good luck on Wednesday!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Quick update on the R.

Drove it to/from work yesterday. On my 150 mile round trip drive I got 25.9 MPG, according to the computer. Not too bad considering the ZR2 was getting about 15 driving the same way. This included about 40 miles of freeway varying between 85-95 mph the whole way.

The thing drives great. Very smooth and handles great. The drive modes work well, and "Race" mode feels perfect for everyday driving. The suspension is not too stiff in this mode and the throttle mapping feels good. Power delivery is a smooth flat feeling curve, which is deceiving and makes it hard to judge how fast you are accelerating, but it moves pretty good.

I read complaints before that the Fender stereo was garbage, but I just don't agree. This thing sounds so much better than any of the Blose systems in my Corvettes and the ZR2. It rivals the Alpine in the JL and sounds right on par, which is great for OEM systems that aren't some 29 speaker system that costs $4k.

The soft blue lighting on the interior on the door sills and door panels is a nice touch that I noticed in the dark. The radio display is really bright and nice, Android Auto, Carplay and the normal radio look very sharp on this display.

Ordered a short shifter, shifter bushings and clutch pedal stop for it and that should be in next week. Monday I take it to my friend for paint correction and ceramic coating.

Lastly, owning a color other than Silver or White is..... Interesting. people seem to love it, especially with the black wheels and it is making me happy.

So far I'm completely happy with it, even if some people call it boring.
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:36 pm Quick update on the R.

Drove it to/from work yesterday. On my 150 mile round trip drive I got 25.9 MPG, according to the computer. Not too bad considering the ZR2 was getting about 15 driving the same way. This included about 40 miles of freeway varying between 85-95 mph the whole way.

The thing drives great. Very smooth and handles great. The drive modes work well, and "Race" mode feels perfect for everyday driving. The suspension is not too stiff in this mode and the throttle mapping feels good. Power delivery is a smooth flat feeling curve, which is deceiving and makes it hard to judge how fast you are accelerating, but it moves pretty good.

I read complaints before that the Fender stereo was garbage, but I just don't agree. This thing sounds so much better than any of the Blose systems in my Corvettes and the ZR2. It rivals the Alpine in the JL and sounds right on par, which is great for OEM systems that aren't some 29 speaker system that costs $4k.

The soft blue lighting on the interior on the door sills and door panels is a nice touch that I noticed in the dark. The radio display is really bright and nice, Android Auto, Carplay and the normal radio look very sharp on this display.

Ordered a short shifter, shifter bushings and clutch pedal stop for it and that should be in next week. Monday I take it to my friend for paint correction and ceramic coating.

Lastly, owning a color other than Silver or White is..... Interesting. people seem to love it, especially with the black wheels and it is making me happy.

:fuckyeah:
Glad you're so happy with it.
max225

Sweet, yep it makes for a far better commuter than a :truk:
You gonna put a film or tints on it?
Who complains about the fender system ? Same people that think McIntosh are a requirement for cars ?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:49 pm

Who complains about the fender system ? Same people that think McIntosh are a requirement for cars ?
Probably going to tint the car. on my last R I did 35% ceramic all around and I liked it. Not too dark, to impede visibility at night out the side windows, but good enough to cut heat and harsh sunlight..

How is your tint holding up, would you recommend the shop that did yours?

Saw a bunch of complaints saying it was "flat", "muddy" and overall just trash. Like everything, people love to complain and take it over the top. The system is good when you adjust the EQ for the type of music you're playing.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:58 pm
Probably going to tint the car. on my last R I did 35% ceramic all around and I liked it. Not too dark, to impede visibility at night out the side windows, but good enough to cut heat and harsh sunlight..

Saw a bunch of complaints saying it was "flat", "muddy" and overall just trash. Like everything, people love to complain and take it over the top. The system is good when you adjust the EQ for the type of music you're playing.
I don’t know how anal you are when it comes to this stuff. The shop did my buddies cornhole blue rabbit. Tint all around + front 1/3 of the hood covered. They charged $650 I think ... there is a cash discount.

I like them, no issues also have epic yelp reviews, but they are not some fancy place...

I don’t think the tint helps with the heat to be honest it’s mostly folktale, but it does add a lot of privacy and imo looks good.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:22 pm

I don’t know how anal you are when it comes to this stuff. The shop did my buddies cornhole blue rabbit. Tint all around + front 1/3 of the hood covered. They charged $650 I think ... there is a cash discount.

I like them, no issues also have epic yelp reviews, but they are not some fancy place...

I don’t think the tint helps with the heat to be honest it’s mostly folktale, but it does add a lot of privacy and imo looks good.
Send me the deets.

Up here when it's 100+ degrees ceramic tint does help a bit.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:42 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:22 pm

Send me the deets.

Up here when it's 100+ degrees ceramic tint does help a bit.
https://yelp.to/qTKq/FiqFaw0y50

Let me know how it goes :)
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

How is the EQ adjustment? Presets +B/M/T adjustment? I'm not sure if this is in my head or not but I feel like modern car audio systems are trending towards being designed to sound good for pop/rb/rap music only, and don't have enough range of adjustment to the EQ to swing it away from that. I had a QX80 rental for a couple weeks this month and I could not for the life of me adjust it to sound good for the type of rock/metal I listen to, and my friend that was with me says her X5 M is the same way. Yet my truck and Corvette sound great (SUPER SHITTY WORST STEREO EVER BLOSE). Not sure if you've noticed anything similar but I figured I'd ask since you've had lots of different types of vehicles in the last 15 years.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:14 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:51 am

How is the EQ adjustment? Presets +B/M/T adjustment? I'm not sure if this is in my head or not but I feel like modern car audio systems are trending towards being designed to sound good for pop/rb/rap music only, and don't have enough range of adjustment to the EQ to swing it away from that. I had a QX80 rental for a couple weeks this month and I could not for the life of me adjust it to sound good for the type of rock/metal I listen to, and my friend that was with me says her X5 M is the same way. Yet my truck and Corvette sound great (SUPER SHITTY WORST STEREO EVER BLOSE). Not sure if you've noticed anything similar but I figured I'd ask since you've had lots of different types of vehicles in the last 15 years.
Funny you say that - most of my vehicles, I end up dialing the highs and mids up and either leaving the bass adjustment alone or even turning it down one click.
I think you're agreeing with me?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Here is the EQ settings for the R:

First, I should say that I listen at high volumes.

I listen almost exclusively to Rock, Classic Rock, Old School Punk, and 90's Rock/Pop Punk/Grunge and this system sounds amazing compared to the C5, C6, and C7 Bose systems as well as the one in the Colorado.. The Bose systems in the Corvettes use that big mid-bass in the doors that will distort at medium volumes fast, and muddies up the mids. Putting dynamat/Raam Mat and ensolite foam inside the doors makes a difference as it stops the door shells from vibrating and causing standing reverb waves from hitting the back of the drivers, but even after that they aren't fantastic. My C6 JL Audio setup with real tweeters, real mids in the doors and a dedicated sub in the back made the car sound great.
Last edited by CorvetteWaxer on Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Also, did the radar hardwire this morning. Easiest 5 minute job I've had doing one of these so far out of all my cars. Usually there's something that ends up making it take 30 minutes or more. Love the ease of VW mirror removal.

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:23 am

I listen almost exclusively to Rock, Classic Rock, Old School Punk, and 90's Rock/Pop Punk/Grunge and this system sounds amazing compared to the C5, C6, and C7 Bose systems as well as the one in the Colorado.. The Bose systems in the Corvettes use that big mid-bass in the doors that will distort at medium volumes fast, and muddies up the mids. Putting dynamat/Raam Mat and ensolite foam inside the doors makes a difference as it stops the door shells from vibrating and causing standing reverb waves from hitting the back of the drivers, but even after that they aren't fantastic. My C6 JL Audio setup with real tweeters, real mids in the doors and a dedicated sub in the back made the car sound great.
I actually have some RAAM mat sitting in my truck waiting to be installed on your recommendation, along with some non paper cone speakers. The C5 I have really noticed an issue with what you describe, but maybe I haven't heard a truly good sounding one. I have thought about putting coax 6.5 speakers in the rear though to have actual tweeters without going :fullretard: on the audio for that car.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Do people really shit on the fender system? I think it's pretty good on all inputs too. Sirius, Bluetooth, and AA all sound good to me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:28 am

I actually have some RAAM mat sitting in my truck waiting to be installed on your recommendation, along with some non paper cone speakers. The C5 I have really noticed an issue with what you describe, but maybe I haven't heard a truly good sounding one. I have thought about putting coax 6.5 speakers in the rear though to have actual tweeters without going :fullretard: on the audio for that car.
Adding the coaxials will be good. I ran coaxials in the back and separate mids/tweeters up front and they worked very well.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Funny, I normally roll the treble off so that I can actually hear the bass guitar parts - especially in rock/metal where the bassist is often buried in the mix. I think my ears are more sensitive to high frequencies than average :doe: since the way most people dial their stuff in will actually hurt to me.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:28 am Do people really shit on the fender system? I think it's pretty good on all inputs too. Sirius, Bluetooth, and AA all sound good to me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
When I was scouring the web looking for reviews of the car the only people that complained about the sound of the system were people that owned one, and I found more than a couple people that said it sounded from "fair" to "terrible". Probably some idiot that expects a reference quality sound at 80mph on a dirt road. :derp: :fancy:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:30 am Funny, I normally roll the treble off so that I can actually hear the bass guitar parts - especially in rock/metal where the bassist is often buried in the mix. I think my ears are more sensitive to high frequencies than average :doe: since the way most people dial their stuff in will actually hurt to me.
I usually do too, but here I've boosted the bass a couple points on the slider and seem to have gotten the same effect. Also maybe the the tweeters in this car just aren't as harsh and "in your face" as others. In the Corvette and the Porsche they reflect off the windshield and get harsh quick... and they have that stupid center channel up front that ruins the L/R sound stage.

I try not to do like most people I know that think there's a specific curve to use and just set it that way. I tweak it by listening and moving the sliders up/down unit it sounds right for that music, the way you should do it.