Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Acid666 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:15 am
Purpc5z wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:00 am
ahhh okay. I'll probably end up doing mounts while i'm there. did you do poly mounts? how much of a difference does it make?
I have the Hinson ones after Detroit suggested them.
https://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-1285- ... 6-gto.aspx

There might be a little more vibration but I really don't notice. Once I got in there and had stupid easy access to the mounts, I was glad I had the replacements on hands because when I removed one the rubber was completely separated and all it was doing was holding the engine to the car, and not absorbing any of the shaking.
Same shit for my Miata, I'm swapping motors and replaced the motor mounts yesterday. Rubber was completely worthless with how many miles its got on it. Miata ones were cheap tho, the C5 cost nearly $200, but trust me not having to deal with the headache of removing that shit twice is worth the cost of routine maintenance on that part.
I bookmarked them for later, need to start a doc with all I want to replace on the C5 next year.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

Tarspin wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:06 am
Purpc5z wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:01 am

this is the second time it's happened. they hit my car with 4 eggs this time.
Whoa, who are these guys? I'd get a camera on the car at night, find out who they are and get cops involved. Make mom and dad pay for a new paintjob.
no clue who it could be. they got me twice, and they've hit my brother GTI twice. they got his pretty good as well, but no paint damage like my car. You can tell they got super close to my car and hucked eggs as hard as they could throw em.

The saddest part is I got a camera after the first time it happened to the :poorvette: my car was parked right under the camera and some how it didn't record the second time it happened. Pretty 0/7
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

ahhh okay. I'll probably end up doing mounts while i'm there. did you do poly mounts? how much of a difference does it make?

There might be a little more vibration but I really don't notice. Once I got in there and had stupid easy access to the mounts, I was glad I had the replacements on hands because when I removed one the rubber was completely separated and all it was doing was holding the engine to the car, and not absorbing any of the shaking.
Same shit for my Miata, I'm swapping motors and replaced the motor mounts yesterday. Rubber was completely worthless with how many miles its got on it. Miata ones were cheap tho, the C5 cost nearly $200, but trust me not having to deal with the headache of removing that shit twice is worth the cost of routine maintenance on that part.
I'm sure the vibration can't be any worse than it already is. As the car is now, I rattle by teeth out on a bumpy road lolol.

I'll definitely get these mounts. I just need to actually decide what I'm going to get as far as headers go. Not really keen on dropping 1k+ for headers.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:16 am
Absolutely do the mounts while in there. I'm running poly mounts, and the increase in NVH is noticeable, but the power delivery feels more direct, whether true or not.
elaborate on this please.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Purpc5z wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:11 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:16 am
Absolutely do the mounts while in there. I'm running poly mounts, and the increase in NVH is noticeable, but the power delivery feels more direct, whether true or not.
Probably means there's a more direct feeling between what you do with the pedal and what the engine does since there's movement from the engine before power is delivered to the TORKT00B
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Purpc5z wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:10 am

I'm sure the vibration can't be any worse than it already is. As the car is now, I rattle by teeth out on a bumpy road lolol.

I'll definitely get these mounts. I just need to actually decide what I'm going to get as far as headers go. Not really keen on dropping 1k+ for headers.
I was in the same boat, and settled on the XS Power headers (Catless because I can get away with it in my town because they don't inspect for that). They're the best in between I could find in between the cheaper eBay sets and the $1,800 Kooks sets. These are reasonably priced, and I had minimal fitment issues. I had to grind off a corner of my transmission batwing pan, but I actually anticipated having to do it with any set after reading up on the swap.
https://huronspeed.com/product/xspower- ... er-system/
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:18 am
Purpc5z wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:11 am

Probably means there's a more direct feeling between what you do with the pedal and what the engine does since there's movement from the engine before power is delivered to the TORKT00B
:dat:

Could be all in my head because I did the mounts at the same time as all the other mods and tuning, but hitting the throttle seems to result in very direct power delivery. No mechanical movement of anything other than propulsion.

For poly mounts, they add surprisingly little NVH, even with a cam. My only complaint is under WOT there seems to be a bit more vibration which makes it almost "coarse" feeling, but I know it's just the mounts. Around town in normal driving, there's no perceptible difference from the stock fluid filled rubber ones.

HOWEVER

Be very weary of diff mounts. I put a poly diff mount in my car along with the engine mounts and it created this harmonic rumbling that made the car almost undrivable. The torque tube amplifies any tiny imbalance, and I must have one that's just enough for the stiffer mount to resonate through the entire car. I switched back to the stock rubber, and the issue was 100% gone.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:52 am

I was in the same boat, and settled on the XS Power headers (Catless because I can get away with it in my town because they don't inspect for that). They're the best in between I could find in between the cheaper eBay sets and the $1,800 Kooks sets. These are reasonably priced, and I had minimal fitment issues. I had to grind off a corner of my transmission batwing pan, but I actually anticipated having to do it with any set after reading up on the swap.
It appears there's a new redesigned "V4" setup now that takes care of all the fitment issues. In my case, I had to dent the primary for steering shaft clearance, grind off the right side AIR port because it was pushing a wire into the primary, and I still have issues with my right front O2 sensor making contact with the body of the car. All of these appear to have been addressed with the new design.

I've actually thought about picking up the redesigned ones to see if I can correct the O2 sensor issue and hopefully gain more clearance around the AC lines.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Purpc5z wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:59 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:06 am

Whoa, who are these guys? I'd get a camera on the car at night, find out who they are and get cops involved. Make mom and dad pay for a new paintjob.
no clue who it could be. they got me twice, and they've hit my brother GTI twice. they got his pretty good as well, but no paint damage like my car. You can tell they got super close to my car and hucked eggs as hard as they could throw em.

The saddest part is I got a camera after the first time it happened to the :poorvette: my car was parked right under the camera and some how it didn't record the second time it happened. Pretty 0/7
Unless there is a gang of car egging jagaloons foaming the skreets, the fact that you and your bro’s cars got hit leads me to believe it may be more personal? Have other neighbors/residents had their cars egged?

Do you make any enemies at car meats and Mexico runs?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:00 am

It appears there's a new redesigned "V4" setup now that takes care of all the fitment issues. In my case, I had to dent the primary for steering shaft clearance, grind off the right side AIR port because it was pushing a wire into the primary, and I still have issues with my right front O2 sensor making contact with the body of the car. All of these appear to have been addressed with the new design.

I've actually thought about picking up the redesigned ones to see if I can correct the O2 sensor issue and hopefully gain more clearance around the AC lines.
That's :neat: they've been revised. I can't recall, do you have catted or catless? I would likely go catted to comply and not have ze stink.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:23 am

That's :neat: they've been revised. I can't recall, do you have catted or catless? I would likely go catted to comply and not have ze stink.
Pretty sure he has catted for the same reasons, and I share the same thought as you two.
ChrisoftheNorth

Catted. Most think I'm insane, but whatever...they don't smell which is nice.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:46 am

Pretty sure he has catted for the same reasons, and I share the same thought as you two.
T00ners think I'm a moran.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Acid666 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:14 pm

There's a high probability that you will likely have to loosen the motor mounts to move the engine up an inch or two to help get the headers in. So it's a no brainers to just remove the whole bracket once the stock manifolds are off. It's so easy to get to, and you're not going to want to do it again just to get to where the motor mounts are when you find that you actually do need to replace them later
I have a set of used poly mounts if you want them. I pulled them off my GTO to install Torque Master motor mounts.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:55 am

You gave up at least 2whp you F00L
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:00 am
Yea, 440whp is pathetic.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:01 am

Yea, 440whp is pathetic.
Compared to 442whp it is. FFS

Still no tracking# for my tires :(
Huckleberry

Yea, 440whp is pathetic.
According to the interwebz, anything less than an 800 HP hero run is pathetic.

I'm pretty sure 95% of the interwebz hasn't driven a vehicle with even half of that power.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah man, a true dumbass for sacrificing 5 hp to make your car legal and not stink to drive.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:09 am
Yea, 440whp is pathetic.
According to the interwebz, anything less than an 800 HP hero run is pathetic.

I'm pretty sure 95% of the interwebz hasn't driven a vehicle with even half of that power.
440 is ~500 crank...it is ample IMO. If I give up a few HP to not smell like raw fuel and save a baby seal or two when I get to the office, it's worth it.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:58 am
I have a set of used poly mounts if you want them. I pulled them off my GTO to install Torque Master motor mounts.
how much and what brand??????
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

:notbad:
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:01 am
Purpc5z wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:59 am

Unless there is a gang of car egging jagaloons foaming the skreets, the fact that you and your bro’s cars got hit leads me to believe it may be more personal? Have other neighbors/residents had their cars egged?

I 100% believe this is someone tha hates me. There is only one person that I really don't like that it could be. But the last time my car got egged, my best friend was at a Mexico street race and he was there. So, maybe it may not be him. :notsure: about all this, but I want it to stop
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Purpc5z wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:08 am
razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:01 am

I 100% believe this is someone tha hates me. There is only one person that I really don't like that it could be. But the last time my car got egged, my best friend was at a Mexico street race and he was there. So, maybe it may not be him. :notsure: about all this, but I want it to stop
I think you probably did something you don't even know you did... or you have a angry neighbor. Yell at any kids to stay off your lawn in the last couple years?

To get it to stop you're likely going to have to catch them and press charges, or move.
Huckleberry

Purpc5z wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:05 am
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:58 am

how much and what brand??????
They are Creative Steel/Ultra poly mounts. $50.