OT 17: WELCOME TO THE CORONADOME!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

[user not found] wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:28 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:11 pm :whocares:

72 hours is nothing. A jug of water will get you through that.

...along with some milk sandwiches and GUNS of course. Can't live without GUNS.
I mean, you just described a 72 hour kit. One gallon a day per person of water, non perishable food, first aid kit, and a weather radio. That's as basic we it gets. I have a few other things in there but it doesn't have to be crazy.
I need a better first aid kit. And should probably stock some water but other than that I think my house mostly has the stuff I would need.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

In 2004 I bought gold and silver 1 oz bars and American Eagle coins because of prepper hype. Wife thought I was crazy playing $400 per ounce of gold. Today those gold bars and coins are going for $1600 per.

Not a bad investment, but I don't think I'm going to sell them, they are much more valuable than paper money.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:57 pm In 2004 I bought gold and silver 1 oz bars and American Eagle coins because of prepper hype. Wife thought I was crazy playing $400 per ounce of gold. Today those gold bars and coins are going for $1600 per.

Not a bad investment, but I don't think I'm going to sell them, they are much more valuable than paper money.
:nice: gold and silver bars were added to the kit later on by my dad when he was making more money and didn’t have as many kids at home to feed :lolol: There was always cash in there too since like :[user not found]: said, you don’t know if cards/banks are going to be accessible.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

MY mindset is that If the shit hits the fan so bad that banks and electricity are down, 72 hours worth of supplies are a drop in the bucket........

Once the grid goes down for good its Mad Max time in the cities/large towns and the 1800's'wild west in rural areas.....
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

SAWCE

Irish wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:00 pm MY mindset is that If the shit hits the fan so bad that banks and electricity are down, 72 hours worth of supplies are a drop in the bucket........

Once the grid goes down for good its Mad Max time in the cities/large towns and the 1800's'wild west in rural areas.....
Still better to have the supplies already than to need them and not have them...
Irish

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:45 pm https://louderthanlifefestival.com/lineup/

Ohhhh my gooooooddd
Incredible line up....
Irish

SAWCE wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:07 pm
Irish wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:00 pm MY mindset is that If the shit hits the fan so bad that banks and electricity are down, 72 hours worth of supplies are a drop in the bucket........

Still better to have the supplies already than to need them and not have them...
true enough
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Irish wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:20 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:45 pm https://louderthanlifefestival.com/lineup/

Ohhhh my gooooooddd
Incredible line up....
Yeah I might try to plan on going. Won't be cheap.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

We have a gallon of water in the pantry... no other bottled water as I think it’s the stupidest thing to pay money for in the USA when water is readily available and near free.

In the event of a real emergency/apocalyptic situation gold would be just as worthless as paper money IMO. If it ever happens most will end up dead anyway so I’ll just hedge my bets that it won’t and carry on my life without worrying too much.
SAWCE

Michelle moves out today. Splitting up the furniture. I need a dresser now. Probably swing bybikea after Costco and grab one for cheap-ish, although I don’t love their stuff and wouldn’t mind getting something better quality. Anyone have any quick suggestions on brands/stores they like?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:28 am Water is the EASIEST thing to store and comes in handy all too often. How frequently do you hear about water main breaks? Now imagine the same during a hurricane or a blizzard.

An emergency kit isn't about surviving a nuclear war, it's about being comfortable during a common event.
We always have a lot of bottles water on hand because that's all we use. I still have 6 of the 128 count cases of this stored away though. Very convenient and easy to store.

https://www.amazon.com/DATREX-Emergency ... th=1&psc=1
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SAWCE wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:33 am Michelle moves out today. Splitting up the furniture. I need a dresser now. Probably swing bybikea after Costco and grab one for cheap-ish, although I don’t love their stuff and wouldn’t mind getting something better quality. Anyone have any quick suggestions on brands/stores they like?
The solid wood stuff at Ikea is my favorite for quality/value. It's the most expensive stuff they sell, but we have a few pieces that have worn really well and made it through a few house moves now.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

I've got 2 5 gallon potable water jugs for camping that I always keep full in the basement. Those plus a few water bottle packs keep us in good shape I think.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:04 pm
SAWCE wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:33 am Michelle moves out today. Splitting up the furniture. I need a dresser now. Probably swing bybikea after Costco and grab one for cheap-ish, although I don’t love their stuff and wouldn’t mind getting something better quality. Anyone have any quick suggestions on brands/stores they like?
The solid wood stuff at Ikea is my favorite for quality/value. It's the most expensive stuff they sell, but we have a few pieces that have worn really well and made it through a few house moves now.
Good call, I forgot they do solid wood stuff. I’ll browse their site real quick.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:04 pm
Good call, I forgot they do solid wood stuff. I’ll browse their site real quick.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/cate ... ies/11731/
SAWCE

Thanks Detroit! They’re actually having a sale Toft now for “family memebers” in dressers. Found two nice solid wood once’s on sale for $179 and $199, so I signed up for their free family program real quick.

https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/hemnes-6-dr ... -60381761/

https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/hemnes-8-dr ... -10322972/

Leaning toward the 8 drawer, but the smaller footprint of the 6 might be nice..
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:37 pm Thanks Detroit! They’re actually having a sale Toft now for “family memebers” in dressers. Found two nice solid wood once’s on sale for $179 and $199, so I signed up for their free family program real quick.

Oh nice!

We've had one of these dressers for years. It's been fantastic.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

SAWCE wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:37 pm Thanks Detroit! They’re actually having a sale Toft now for “family memebers” in dressers. Found two nice solid wood once’s on sale for $179 and $199, so I signed up for their free family program real quick.

I had the 8 drawer for many years and two moves. Got rid of it when I moved into a tiny bedroom that wouldn’t fit a dresser and a queen bed. It was still in great shape.
SAWCE

haleyann wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:53 pm

I had the 8 drawer for many years and two moves. Got rid of it when I moved into a tiny bedroom that wouldn’t fit a dresser and a queen bed. It was still in great shape.
Thanks! That’s what I went with. 8 drawer in the light grey stain. Grabbed the matching side table/night stand as well. If I like how these are I may grab the bed frame at some point too. I’ve been wanting to upgrade to a King, so that could be an excuse to do so.
SAWCE

[user not found] wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:15 pm
SAWCE wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:41 pm
Thanks! That’s what I went with. 8 drawer in the light grey stain. Grabbed the matching side table/night stand as well. If I like how these are I may grab the bed frame at some point too. I’ve been wanting to upgrade to a King, so that could be an excuse to do so.
We have two matching dark brown 8-drawer Hemnes dressers upstairs here - they're great.

Matched my gedlaidbeds frame perfectly.
Nice. I almost went with the dark brown instead of the grey.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

:drool:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Wife is sick so I ate two dinners last night and had a free beer on the plane.

Got a special exclusive taxi in the Frankfurt airport this morning.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:44 am Image

Wife is sick so I ate two dinners last night and had a free beer on the plane.

Got a special exclusive taxi in the Frankfurt airport this morning.
Hopefully she doesn't have what I have been trying to get over. I've had 11 days of hell with headaches, fever, muscle pain, nasty dry cough and complete insomnia. I slept no more than 2 hours per night in the last 11 days until Sunday night when I got 5 hours. I had 3 days of zero sleep in a row and literally felt like I was losing my mind. Last night I got 6 hours which is about 2 more than my usual.

Finally I feel about 90% again now.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Congrats on the nuptials JP

How's everyone else doing
brain go brrrrrr