Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:10 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:06 am Congrats! Sad about the Volt but I don't blame you one bit at all. Two heeps in the driveway soon so when is the brub getting trail rated badges?

The LSD equipped Sahara's get a slightly more aggressive looking tire as well? It helps alot.
I kinda figured you might not be a buyer at $14k anyway...plus it was super easy to just trade keys basically.

The LSD axle forces the upgraded wheels that come with the more aggressive tires. They're marked "All Terrain" but they're more of a balance between street and offroad. I think they're great. I also really prefer the optional Sahara wheels to the standard ones.

Standard:

Optional:
Yep 14 would have been pushing it, but I'm glad you got the :dill: you did. Those optional wheels look WAY better. Really interested in seeing the mpg numbers for her .00005mi commute 😂
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:56 am Well, a thing was done...a :plac: move made last night.

So now we have a badass :jeep: I'm actually really excited about it, :tits: is ecstatic.
OUTTA NO WHERE?!

Thats exciting man. Nice nice. In 4 future reviewes. You will be a double :jeep: :haus:

:impressive:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:56 am Well, a thing was done...a :plac: move made last night.

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowst ... N6JW211487

Pics to come soon.

2018 JL Sahara equipped exactly as I would. Surprisingly close to exactly as I would, which is remarkable. It has more features than the Wrangler we originally went to look at (has LEDs, 2.0T, 8.4" Screen, proximity entry, hardtop headliner, anti-spin axle, TOWING is huge for us)...what's neat is with the LSD rear end, it's all we'd need to go wheeling in MI if we chose to do so with it. Couldn't have worked out better. Facts first, then story if anyone cares:

MSRP: $52,020
Selling price: $41,980

So just over $10k off, which I thought was fair...but what put it over the top was the trade-in value they gave on the Volt...

$14k

Carvana offered $11.5k last night (I checked while at the dealer)...KBB claims $14k is the top of the "good condition" range for trade, which I've never gotten before. Usually the trade offer is the bottom of the "poor condition" range.

Very very pleased with the :dill:

How it all went down:

Went to look at this:
https://www.billsnethkamp.net/new-Highl ... G9JW304361

We got there, and they "couldn't find it". :tits: was annoyed, so the :dillerman: threw us the keys to the one we ended up with while he went to figure out what happened to the gray one. He just let us loose in the thing on our own, which was pretty nice. I told the wife the one we were in had options she wouldn't care about like the 2.0T, hard top headliner, rear axle, LEDz. BUT, it would be good to experience.

WELLLL she loves the hard top headliner. "Doesn't look like a porta potty now" she said...once she saw it, it was bumped up to the "must have" list. Great.

The 2.0T has a ton of torque...it's really quite great. She was impressed when she pulled into traffic and started cutting people off, driving like she normally does. "This thing is really peppy!"...I had a feeling that moved up the necessity list as well. The ride in the Sahara is fantastic, really compliant but not floaty. The wind noise was surprisingly quiet...even when we took it on the highway. It's possible the headliner makes a difference?

As we pulled back into the :dillerman: , she remarked that it was her favorite vehicle she's driven yet. She liked it "better than the Ram even!" she exclaimed, which is high praise because that was her benchmark. As we pulled in, the :dillerman: had found the gray one and pulled it out front. She pulled up next to it and got out to poke around the white one some more. Then she saw the LEDs "OMG so cute!" Apparently the halos around the headlights make the front of the Jeep, and when she saw the gray one claimed it looked "like a poor Jeep". Great.

I suggest she drive the gray one anyway, and does. The lack of headliner really bothered her for some reason, and she really noticed a difference between the 2.0 and the 3.6. She said she felt she had to "floor it to go anywhere" whereas the 2.0 "just goes". Whatever...the test drive didn't last long, she was sold on the more expensive one.

Went in to "talk numbers" and the sales guy was brutally honest "dude, we've been sitting on this thing forever, what's it take to get you in it? I tell him $5k under employee price, which is roughly $11k under MSRP. He pulls the whole "man, I dunno" but goes off to "talk to his manager". :rolleyes:

The fucking manager then just comes back with him a minute later (no more back and forth :fuckyeah: )and says "we'll do $4k under employee, that's it. I'm honestly losing money on it, but I really want it gone". $4k under was $10k under MSRP. I give him a :notsure: look and mention how old it is, etc...then he suggests we talk about trade.

He takes the key to the Volt and goes off. Comes back not 5 minutes later and says "OK, what do you need for it?" I was expecting a $10-12k offer or some shit, so I go "high" and say $14k. I might have went too low because he immediately put out his hand to shake on the :dill: I chuckle and ask him to put it all in writing which he did on the spot.

So now we have a badass :jeep: I'm actually really excited about it, :tits: is ecstatic.
:fuckyeah:

I mean a lot of these comments from :tits: really sound like my azn :tits:
The leds make the front end of the wrangler look non poverty it’s not just them, as they change the fender lights to leds also.... and the drls
Porta potty spot on
I was really curious about the 2.slow as the 3.6 is a higher revving motor which according to :tits: “hurts the car” so getting something that has no more beans left after 3500 but is at 90% torque from 2000-3500 makes perfect sense as that’s where they need to live.

Congrats on the :dill: it sounds fair all around. And you’re turning into a FCA household as you should.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:06 am Congrats! Sad about the Volt but I don't blame you one bit at all. Two heeps in the driveway soon so when is the brub getting trail rated badges?

The LSD equipped Sahara's get a slightly more aggressive looking tire as well? It helps alot.
Yes they do, def not minivan tires, which are frankly fine as well. These are like 80% K02s
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:10 am That’s fucking awesome Dplac!
Hope :tits: enjoys the JLU and it sticks around for awhile.
She said last night that it's the first vehicle she's ever picked out on her own and she loves it. She claims getting the "fancy" things like the headliner and LED lights make it "special because I didn't force her to cheap out". She claims it'll be around for a while, and I really like it too, way more than the Volt, so I really don't mind driving it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:15 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:10 am
I kinda figured you might not be a buyer at $14k anyway...plus it was super easy to just trade keys basically.

The LSD axle forces the upgraded wheels that come with the more aggressive tires. They're marked "All Terrain" but they're more of a balance between street and offroad. I think they're great. I also really prefer the optional Sahara wheels to the standard ones.

Standard:

Optional:
Yep 14 would have been pushing it, but I'm glad you got the :dill: you did. Those optional wheels look WAY better. Really interested in seeing the mpg numbers for her .00005mi commute 😂
She got a new job that pays quite a bit more and is across the street from my office. So her new commute is ~20 miles round trip. Not bad, but much longer than before.

This was a bit of a "treat yo self" type thing for her, and I'm fine with that since it's not a fucking Porsche Macan. :rolleyes:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:20 am

OUTTA NO WHERE?!

Thats exciting man. Nice nice. In 4 future reviewes. You will be a double :jeep: :haus:

:impressive:
Not so much out of nowhere for us, we've been discussing trading the Volt in for a JL in our household for a few months now. The plan was going to be to order a new one if they didn't :dill: on the 2018 leftovers. Glad they did, I'm really pleased with the :dill:
max225

Just looked through the sticker, it’s white ! Dat Mini Gwagen/mailtruck ! Epic for a girl. Also what’s in the $195 trail rated kit?
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:38 am

She got a new job that pays quite a bit more and is across the street from my office. So her new commute is ~20 miles round trip. Not bad, but much longer than before.

This was a bit of a "treat yo self" type thing for her, and I'm fine with that since it's not a fucking Porsche Macan. :rolleyes:
The Macan is a :fullretard: idea imo. This one makes perfect sense
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:impressive: all around sir. My wife doesnt even like SUVs. She really actually hates most of them.

But jesus she wont stop talking about a Macan.... and cross shopping it with a fucking honda... like :bruh:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:36 am
She said last night that it's the first vehicle she's ever picked out on her own and she loves it. She claims getting the "fancy" things like the headliner and LED lights make it "special because I didn't force her to cheap out". She claims it'll be around for a while, and I really like it too, way more than the Volt, so I really don't mind driving it.
You guys going to wheel both :jeep: now? :hubba:

That’s really cool she likes it so much.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Wow you f***** cheapskate how dare you force her into poverty vehicles such as top "PREMIER" trim Chevy Volt.

:lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:21 am

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowst ... N6JW211487

Pics to come soon.

2018 JL Sahara equipped exactly as I would. Surprisingly close to exactly as I would, which is remarkable. It has more features than the Wrangler we originally went to look at (has LEDs, 2.0T, 8.4" Screen, proximity entry, hardtop headliner, anti-spin axle, TOWING is huge for us)...what's neat is with the LSD rear end, it's all we'd need to go wheeling in MI if we chose to do so with it. Couldn't have worked out better. Facts first, then story if anyone cares:

MSRP: $52,020
Selling price: $41,980

So just over $10k off, which I thought was fair...but what put it over the top was the trade-in value they gave on the Volt...

$14k

Carvana offered $11.5k last night (I checked while at the dealer)...KBB claims $14k is the top of the "good condition" range for trade, which I've never gotten before. Usually the trade offer is the bottom of the "poor condition" range.

Very very pleased with the :dill:

How it all went down:

Went to look at this:
https://www.billsnethkamp.net/new-Highl ... G9JW304361

We got there, and they "couldn't find it". :tits: was annoyed, so the :dillerman: threw us the keys to the one we ended up with while he went to figure out what happened to the gray one. He just let us loose in the thing on our own, which was pretty nice. I told the wife the one we were in had options she wouldn't care about like the 2.0T, hard top headliner, rear axle, LEDz. BUT, it would be good to experience.

WELLLL she loves the hard top headliner. "Doesn't look like a porta potty now" she said...once she saw it, it was bumped up to the "must have" list. Great.

The 2.0T has a ton of torque...it's really quite great. She was impressed when she pulled into traffic and started cutting people off, driving like she normally does. "This thing is really peppy!"...I had a feeling that moved up the necessity list as well. The ride in the Sahara is fantastic, really compliant but not floaty. The wind noise was surprisingly quiet...even when we took it on the highway. It's possible the headliner makes a difference?

As we pulled back into the :dillerman: , she remarked that it was her favorite vehicle she's driven yet. She liked it "better than the Ram even!" she exclaimed, which is high praise because that was her benchmark. As we pulled in, the :dillerman: had found the gray one and pulled it out front. She pulled up next to it and got out to poke around the white one some more. Then she saw the LEDs "OMG so cute!" Apparently the halos around the headlights make the front of the Jeep, and when she saw the gray one claimed it looked "like a poor Jeep". Great.

I suggest she drive the gray one anyway, and does. The lack of headliner really bothered her for some reason, and she really noticed a difference between the 2.0 and the 3.6. She said she felt she had to "floor it to go anywhere" whereas the 2.0 "just goes". Whatever...the test drive didn't last long, she was sold on the more expensive one.

Went in to "talk numbers" and the sales guy was brutally honest "dude, we've been sitting on this thing forever, what's it take to get you in it? I tell him $5k under employee price, which is roughly $11k under MSRP. He pulls the whole "man, I dunno" but goes off to "talk to his manager". :rolleyes:

The fucking manager then just comes back with him a minute later (no more back and forth :fuckyeah: )and says "we'll do $4k under employee, that's it. I'm honestly losing money on it, but I really want it gone". $4k under was $10k under MSRP. I give him a :notsure: look and mention how old it is, etc...then he suggests we talk about trade.

He takes the key to the Volt and goes off. Comes back not 5 minutes later and says "OK, what do you need for it?" I was expecting a $10-12k offer or some shit, so I go "high" and say $14k. I might have went too low because he immediately put out his hand to shake on the :dill: I chuckle and ask him to put it all in writing which he did on the spot.

:fuckyeah:

I mean a lot of these comments from :tits: really sound like my azn :tits:
The leds make the front end of the wrangler look non poverty it’s not just them, as they change the fender lights to leds also.... and the drls
Porta potty spot on
I was really curious about the 2.slow as the 3.6 is a higher revving motor which according to :tits: “hurts the car” so getting something that has no more beans left after 3500 but is at 90% torque from 2000-3500 makes perfect sense as that’s where they need to live.

Congrats on the :dill: it sounds fair all around. And you’re turning into a FCA household as you should.
Driving them (well, I just rode) back to back, the 2.0 really shines IMO. The torque is very noticeable, there's no need to rev it out really. Much easier to drive around town, I think it's an excellent match for the vehicle.

We're probably going to just run 87 in it too because :tits: :aintcare: Will be interesting to alternate to see if there's much of a performance/efficiency hit.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:40 am Just looked through the sticker, it’s white ! Dat Mini Gwagen/mailtruck ! Epic for a girl. Also what’s in the $195 trail rated kit?
Yea, the white looks fantastic with the painted top IMO. Total chick mobile, but she is one, so it's perfect. Totally a mini G Wagen for sure.

The Sting Gray ended up looking "too trendy because all cars are gray now. White is timeless" :whocares:

Fucking $195 trail rated kit :bs: ...it's a zippered pouch with a tow strap, shackle, and a few other things. I already have that shit, and was going to try to negotiate it out, but :tits: went all "well what if I want to go wheeling? I'll have my own stuff, and the pouch is so cute" :rolleyes: :whocares:
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:41 am

:impressive: all around sir. My wife doesnt even like SUVs. She really actually hates most of them.

But jesus she wont stop talking about a Macan.... and cross shopping it with a fucking honda... like :bruh:
Porsche is targeting 30-something females hard in advertising for that thing right now. Around here, there's billboards, tv commercials, we even heard a radio ad all targeting young women for the Macan. Mine bought it hook line and sinker, but she said the JL is more her because it "looks classy and beasty at the same time."

Ok...
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:45 am
max225 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:40 am Just looked through the sticker, it’s white ! Dat Mini Gwagen/mailtruck ! Epic for a girl. Also what’s in the $195 trail rated kit?
Yea, the white looks fantastic with the painted top IMO. Total chick mobile, but she is one, so it's perfect. Totally a mini G Wagen for sure.

The Sting Gray ended up looking "too trendy because all cars are gray now. White is timeless" :whocares:

Fucking $195 trail rated kit :bs: ...it's a zippered pouch with a tow strap, shackle, and a few other things. I already have that shit, and was going to try to negotiate it out, but :tits: went all "well what if I want to go wheeling? I'll have my own stuff, and the pouch is so cute" :rolleyes: :whocares:
:amazing: on the comments, but like I said I can see mine saying exactly that.

I don’t think you can negotiate shit off the sticker, once it’s on that it’s on that. The :dill: is good so :whocares:

What’s the build date btw ?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:lolol: i still have mine too.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:41 am

When I was explaining the LSD axle to her and why I thought it was neat, she said she was excited to take it wheeling then. She actually really enjoys driving off-road, she's done it a few times in the ZR2. She mentioned I'm not "allowed to drive her baby", so we'll see.

She also mentioned that she wants it lifted at some point with bigger tires. I won't object, but that's down the road.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:59 am

When I was explaining the LSD axle to her and why I thought it was neat, she said she was excited to take it wheeling then. She actually really enjoys driving off-road, she's done it a few times in the ZR2. She mentioned I'm not "allowed to drive her baby", so we'll see.

She also mentioned that she wants it lifted at some point with bigger tires. I won't object, but that's down the road.
:rolleyes: :yeahok:

Until your build shows up and it’s the shiny new thing in the driveway and she wants to drive it.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:54 am

:amazing: on the comments, but like I said I can see mine saying exactly that.

I don’t think you can negotiate shit off the sticker, once it’s on that it’s on that. The :dill: is good so :whocares:

What’s the build date btw ?
You can't really negotiate stuff off sticker, so I was just going to try wrapping it up with a few other things to claim not to care about (like the headliner she ended up loving) to try to just get more off. The :dill: ended up being what we wanted, and she wanted the kit and headliner (and told them so), so it wasn't worth trying.

Build date was in September of last year...so the fucker is a year old. They had it on the lot since the middle of October...and they said the batteries have already been replaced in it because of how long it sat (this is common as I've read on forums). I was a bit :notsure: due to the age, but I looked it over really closely...tires, rubber, etc and there's no sign of any age like cracking or fading...it looks like it came off the truck yesterday. Judging by what's available right now used, we pretty much paid a used 10k mile price for a new vehicle with 105 miles on it (105 miles in a year, it really sat). So, it's a gamble worth taking I think. I confirmed that all of the recalls have been addressed, including the most recent steering stabilizer one. The steering is tight too, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I asked them why they thought it sat and they said most people come in looking for leather in a Sahara with those options. :tits: specifically "hates" leather all of a sudden, so she didn't want one with leather. The spec really couldn't be any more perfect for her.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:06 am

Until your build shows up and it’s the shiny new thing in the driveway and she wants to drive it.
No...she claims that my truck will be "too loud" in orange and since it won't have the big screen and fancy stereo (which she's in love with as well), she has no interest in it. She's excited that we'll have "his and her Jeeps".

Fine by me. It could work out great.
ChrisoftheNorth

No...she claims that my truck will be "too loud" in orange and since it won't have the big screen and fancy stereo (which she's in love with as well), she has no interest in it. She's excited that we'll have "his and her Jeeps".

razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:10 am

That’s the ticket. I skipped a few pages can you TL;DR the Jeep truk order and specs?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:excited: to see where these his and hers :jeep: s take you!
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:12 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:10 am

That’s the ticket. I skipped a few pages can you TL;DR the Jeep truk order and specs?
I ordered a pretty near bare-bones Rubicon Gladiator.

Only options are:
  • auto trans (which was forced for the corp lease, I was going to go :manuel: )
    hard top
  • cold weather pack (heated seats and wheel)
  • tow pack
  • spray in bedliner (forced for corp lease)
  • proximity entry.
So it doesn't have fancy lights, stereo, screen, seats, or wheels. It's also Punk'n Orange which is...bright.