Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:51 pm People with an email signature that takes up the whole page. Ytho.
I don't even have an email signature. I just type my first name or first initial at the end. Done.
The company usually adds a page of shit at the end automatically :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:53 pm
Detroit wrote: I don't even have an email signature. I just type my first name or first initial at the end. Done.
Oh true...to external accounts. People can't really control that :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:53 pm
Detroit wrote: I don't even have an email signature. I just type my first name or first initial at the end. Done.
:dat:

Mine is :fullretard:

They make us put in our picture (which I think isn't bad for inside sales) but also a stupid banner link ad that I'm sure gets exactly zero clicks.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So I need a bit of advice here.

I heard back from Lawo (German company)'s HR lady on Monday morning saying they'd like to advance me to the second stage of the interview process. She copied two sales bosses on the message and said they would schedule calls with me directly. I replied back pretty much immediately saying thanks and that I'm looking forward to meeting them, plus the fact that I am flexible and am available all week. Three business days later I still haven't heard back. Is it appropriate to follow up? How soon? I don't want to come across as desperate but 72 hours is a long time for an email to hang in the air.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:14 pm So I need a bit of advice here.

I heard back from Lawo (German company)'s HR lady on Monday morning saying they'd like to advance me to the second stage of the interview process. She copied two sales bosses on the message and said they would schedule calls with me directly. I replied back pretty much immediately saying thanks and that I'm looking forward to meeting them, plus the fact that I am flexible and am available all week. Three business days later I still haven't heard back. Is it appropriate to follow up? How soon? I don't want to come across as desperate but 72 hours is a long time for an email to hang in the air.
Follow up.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Follow up. You being excited about a new opportunity isn't a bad thing.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:22 pm

:dat: for sure.

It's very likely your e-mail got pushed to the bottom of the pile quickly, and they're caught up in other things. A quick follow-up will be appreciated.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:43 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:22 pm

It's very likely your e-mail got pushed to the bottom of the pile quickly, and they're caught up in other things. A quick follow-up will be appreciated.
:word: thanks all.

I just sent the follow up.

It also crossed my mind that it could be some kind of test... sales guys have to follow up or never make it. I'm likely overthinking, but we'll see.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:34 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:43 am

:word: thanks all.

I just sent the follow up.

It also crossed my mind that it could be some kind of test... sales guys have to follow up or never make it. I'm likely overthinking, but we'll see.
:like: I second what everyone else said.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Good call everyone. Their VP of sales replied within the hour saying they'll schedule something early next week, some of their guys are on vacation this week.

:fuckyeah:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:47 am Good call everyone. Their VP of sales replied within the hour saying they'll schedule something early next week, some of their guys are on vacation this week.

:bravo:

now sling some bluetooth enabled toasters and :troywax:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:53 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:47 am Good call everyone. Their VP of sales replied within the hour saying they'll schedule something early next week, some of their guys are on vacation this week.

I am trying to care. I'm 11% over quota for the month on toaster slingin' and quite possibly leaving the company, so it's tough to care that much today, but I should really try to milk this for all it's worth as my commish checks here could be short lived.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:56 am
dubshow wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:53 am

I am trying to care. I'm 11% over quota for the month on toaster slingin' and quite possibly leaving the company, so it's tough to care that much today, but I should really try to milk this for all it's worth as my commish checks here could be short lived.
stack the fat stacks son.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:59 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:56 am

What's your commission limit? Any benefit to pushing new sales to September?
No ceiling. I would actually be well served to get more sales now, basically once you exceed the quota, every sale is cash in ze pocket. Our commission plan is really complex and kind of silly. It's all based on growth, so basically, same sales as this month last year, I'd get no commission. If I hit "quota" which is like 20-30% higher than last year I get a fixed amount. Above that it's paid based on $150 for every % point over quota achieved, so depending on the month, it's sometimes better to push sales, other times better to reign them in. I had a low quota this month so each additional % is a lower total amount of revenue than normal.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:42 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 pm

No ceiling. I would actually be well served to get more sales now, basically once you exceed the quota, every sale is cash in ze pocket. Our commission plan is really complex and kind of silly. It's all based on growth, so basically, same sales as this month last year, I'd get no commission. If I hit "quota" which is like 20-30% higher than last year I get a fixed amount. Above that it's paid based on $150 for every % point over quota achieved, so depending on the month, it's sometimes better to push sales, other times better to reign them in. I had a low quota this month so each additional % is a lower total amount of revenue than normal.
Oh nice. Fucking juice it. Particularly since you probably aren't going to be there next year to compete with yourself.
Exactly... that is kind of the lame thing about this job. Most sales jobs get cushier over time as you work hard to build a customer base... this just sort of sucks more the longer you're in the seat. I'd be surprised if I make as much next year if I stay, TBH.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:59 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:42 pm

Oh nice. Fucking juice it. Particularly since you probably aren't going to be there next year to compete with yourself.
Exactly... that is kind of the lame thing about this job. Most sales jobs get cushier over time as you work hard to build a customer base... this just sort of sucks more the longer you're in the seat. I'd be surprised if I make as much next year if I stay, TBH.
Seriously, infinite growth is impossible, and that's what they're expecting. Great time to juice it, but you'd probably want to sandbag if you were in it for the long run.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:09 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:59 pm

Seriously, infinite growth is impossible, and that's what they're expecting. Great time to juice it, but you'd probably want to sandbag if you were in it for the long run.

The stupid startup mentality is kind of annoying... like if you aren't growing 25%+, you're failing. I've been able to work it well, but I think the whole strategy here is a bit short sited. They generally take the accounts that have "grown to their full potential" and unassign them from sales reps, so they're stuck working with customer service. Then they complain about account attrition. No one spending hundreds of thousands a year with a company is going to want to have to call an 800 number and sit on hold when they need help.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:09 pm

The stupid startup mentality is kind of annoying... like if you aren't growing 25%+, you're failing. I've been able to work it well, but I think the whole strategy here is a bit short sited. They generally take the accounts that have "grown to their full potential" and unassign them from sales reps, so they're stuck working with customer service. Then they complain about account attrition. No one spending hundreds of thousands a year with a company is going to want to have to call an 800 number and sit on hold when they need help.
Is this a public company?

If not, it will be soon...hence the drive for max short-term growth.

Then the :nuke: once the owners are :waxer:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:16 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:12 pm

Is this a public company?

If not, it will be soon...hence the drive for max short-term growth.

Then the :nuke: once the owners are :waxer:
Nah, was started by some dudes in 2005, is now held by some private equity firm. We just acquired Control4 and took them from public back to private, so some folks over there got paid out. It seems like going public would certainly be a possibility in the next decade.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:45 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:34 pm

Nah, was started by some dudes in 2005, is now held by some private equity firm. We just acquired Control4 and took them from public back to private, so some folks over there got paid out. It seems like going public would certainly be a possibility in the next year or two.
FTFY
Worth sticking around for that? I don't have any kind of equity, so I'm thinking no.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:04 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:45 pm

FTFY
Worth sticking around for that? I don't have any kind of equity, so I'm thinking no.
No, but more than likely they have these stupid ramp-up sales goals to show ZOMG growth to go public and cash out. Especially if owned by a PE firm. Very likely short term...which could end up being really :rolleyes: if you're a sales guy there when the shit hits the fan.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:47 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:04 pm

No, but more than likely they have these stupid ramp-up sales goals to show ZOMG growth to go public and cash out. Especially if owned by a PE firm. Very likely short term...which could end up being really :rolleyes: if you're a sales guy there when the shit hits the fan.

The growth goals are ridiculous and we've purchased at least four or five companies since I started here a year ago. Some people are definitely getting rich off this deal, not me but I've doubled my income in a year, so whatever, it was a good stepping stone. Hopefully German company works out and I can stick around there for quite a few years.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:47 pm

The growth goals are ridiculous and we've purchased at least four or five companies since I started here a year ago. Some people are definitely getting rich off this deal, not me but I've doubled my income in a year, so whatever, it was a good stepping stone. Hopefully German company works out and I can stick around there for quite a few years.
6 figure :alpo: :meatspin:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

First paystub came through. Not bad.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:17 pm First paystub came through. Not bad.
https://www.theproscloset.com/products/ ... -bike-2020