Camper Chat 1.0

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:54 am
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:52 am

:word:

Creepin' through the woods during the day and hanging out by the campfire under a star-lit night sounds 5/7 these days.
Yep. Throw some MTB in there and I'm set.
:megusta:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:52 am

:word:

Creepin' through the woods during the day and hanging out by the campfire under a star-lit night sounds 5/7 these days.
Yep. Throw some booze in there and I'm set.
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex

wap wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:08 pm
:iswydt:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Oh, that's a given.

I spend most of my camping time :drunk: It's awesome.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:55 pm

Oh, that's a given.

No DUI on the bike trails. :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:55 pm
Oh, that's a given.

No DUI on the bike trails. :notbad:
I usually wait till after the bike riding to :drunk:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:14 pm No DUI on the bike trails. :notbad:
I usually wait till after the bike riding to :drunk:
:pussy:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:33 am Probably doesn't fit in here, but saw my dad's bus for the first time last night.

34' diesel pusher...3 slide-outs, the thing is roomy AF inside. Just as I've always :baby: about these things, it's no longer camping...it's really just taking your house to wherever you want and that's how he views it. He's excited to go anywhere and everywhere the thing will fit. I kind of get it now from that perspective.
MSU football rules.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:02 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:33 am Probably doesn't fit in here, but saw my dad's bus for the first time last night.

34' diesel pusher...3 slide-outs, the thing is roomy AF inside. Just as I've always :baby: about these things, it's no longer camping...it's really just taking your house to wherever you want and that's how he views it. He's excited to go anywhere and everywhere the thing will fit. I kind of get it now from that perspective.
MSU football rules.
:yesth:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:07 pm
dubshow wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:35 am When looking, I really liked a few things. The thing for them to be avail locally was a huge perk but not of the really well designed/ :pinshit: things were local to check out.

https://happiercamper.com/hc1/

~$14k in base trim with a slew of add ons.

That's pretty :neat:

:notbad:
Yea, I like these too...just can't stand up in it.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:35 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:07 pm

That's pretty :neat:

remove knees before entering.

:sass:
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:35 pm

Yep, that's so easy to do!

I just can't justify spending more than $10k on something I can't stand up in.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:11 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:09 pm

yeah I hear ya.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:11 pm

I really just want a covered area to sleep that isn't on the ground.
Getting off the ground is huge...but the cost of doing so in some of these things is :fullretard:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:42 pm Considering doing a thing.

https://www.braxtoncreek.com/resources/ ... -_2020.pdf
:neat:
What’s the dollhairs on dat?
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:40 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:02 pm

MSRP is $11k or so, found a couple posted at $9k, and one at $8k.

Brand new, 2020.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2020-B ... 5007560229
Would lead to more cool adventures off the beaten path. :like:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:40 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:02 pm

MSRP is $11k or so, found a couple posted at $9k, and one at $8k.

Brand new, 2020.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2020-B ... 5007560229
That seems reasonable. Take the AC out if you don't need it you'll gain some more storage inside. :notbad:
Throw a little awning on the side and have a nice little haul-around camp. Maybe one of those solo stoves too so you can have a fire just about anywhere. Although I think all the state parks here have fire rings.
Apex

I may or may not have been surfing around rvtrader looking at pop-ups. :doomed:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:54 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:25 am

That seems reasonable. Take the AC out if you don't need it you'll gain some more storage inside. :notbad:
Throw a little awning on the side and have a nice little haul-around camp. Maybe one of those solo stoves too so you can have a fire just about anywhere. Although I think all the state parks here have fire rings.
AC ain't going anywhere bruh. One fancy thing I can't do without as long as I have an electrical hookup.

But yeah, small awning and some bike racks for the roof and that's about all I need to add.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

AC ain't going anywhere bruh. One fancy thing I can't do without as long as I have an electrical hookup.

But yeah, small awning and some bike racks for the roof and that's about all I need to add.
:doit:

How much would it cost to wrap it purple? :popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea...but how often are you going to have electrical hookups? Places that have electrical hookups BLOW IMO...sites jammed together, lots of crotchfruit, loud :derp: , etc. We avoid places with electrical hookups because of these reasons. Then the AC is worthless unless you bring a little portable generator with you...which a dude did at the campground we were at this weekend and that little fucker buzzing along all night was annoying AF. When you're in the middle of nowhere, even a quiet generator is loud and annoying.

I'll be honest, I don't get the point of these little tear drops if the goal is to go the hookup camp grounds. Better off buying a ~20' or so travel trailer that you can stand up in for nearly the same price. Teardrops are best for getting off the grid...far off the grid.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:33 pm I may or may not have been surfing around rvtrader looking at pop-ups. :doomed:
We've used ours 7 times this year since buying it in March. It has changed the camping game for us...makes it so much more accessible and easy to camp, we absolutely love it.

On our way home yesterday, we decided that it was the best $2k we've ever spent on anything. 3 more trips planned this year, so we'll get 10 uses out of it for the year. Legit :notbad:

Only issue is my Gladiator hasn't been built, so it's looking less and less likely that I'll have it in time for the Colorado to go back. May end up renting a truck for some of our remaining trips...we'll see how easy that is...which is what everyone claims the answer is instead of buying/leasing one.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:14 am
Apex wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:33 pm I may or may not have been surfing around rvtrader looking at pop-ups. :doomed:
We've used ours 7 times this year since buying it in March. It has changed the camping game for us...makes it so much more accessible and easy to camp, we absolutely love it.

On our way home yesterday, we decided that it was the best $2k we've ever spent on anything. 3 more trips planned this year, so we'll get 10 uses out of it for the year. Legit :notbad:

Only issue is my Gladiator hasn't been built, so it's looking less and less likely that I'll have it in time for the Colorado to go back. May end up renting a truck for some of our remaining trips...we'll see how easy that is...which is what everyone claims the answer is instead of buying/leasing one.
:notbad: at all.

The pop-ups have some real appeal to me, but need to check some out in person first. Then decide if that or a small TT is the way to go for us. Then I just need a place to store it. :lol:

Oh, if/when you make it out here Rausch Creek has free primitive camping. And AOAA is like 30-45 mins from there so you could hit both parks in a weekend.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:45 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:46 am
Yea...but how often are you going to have electrical hookups? Places that have electrical hookups BLOW IMO...sites jammed together, lots of crotchfruit, loud :derp: , etc. We avoid places with electrical hookups because of these reasons. Then the AC is worthless unless you bring a little portable generator with you...which a dude did at the campground we were at this weekend and that little fucker buzzing along all night was annoying AF. When you're in the middle of nowhere, even a quiet generator is loud and annoying.

I'll be honest, I don't get the point of these little tear drops if the goal is to go the hookup camp grounds. Better off buying a ~20' or so travel trailer that you can stand up in for nearly the same price. Teardrops are best for getting off the grid...far off the grid.
We'll be using it for a mixture of things. My dad's side of the family, bless their farts, love to get together for a big family camping trip every year in said kind of campground. And from time to time, we'll end up at state parks on roadtrips where electrical hookups can be found.

If we're off the grid, the AC won't be used obviously. But if we're on the grid, crammed into a campground with the whole fam damnily - want the ability to sleep with the windows shut in my own personal ice box filled with white noise.
Yep, this makes sense then.

:doit:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:31 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:14 am

:notbad: at all.

The pop-ups have some real appeal to me, but need to check some out in person first. Then decide if that or a small TT is the way to go for us. Then I just need a place to store it. :lol:

Oh, if/when you make it out here Rausch Creek has free primitive camping. And AOAA is like 30-45 mins from there so you could hit both parks in a weekend.
Yea, check out some stuff first...see if you can rent stuff too. Would be nice to try before you buy.

Storage is probably the biggest bitch :doe:

Also, I think some people forget about ease of towing. Lower things like pop ups and teardrops are so damned easy to tow, and if you're doing distance 4+ hours away, that makes a big difference with fatigue and whatnot. The only benefit of a TT would be faster setup time, but usable space is less because the bed takes up so much.

Speaking of ease of towing, we were coming home last night and there was a crash reported on the highway causing a massive backup. Android Auto suggested an alt route that a bunch of people started on. Turned out that alt route was closed...entirely for a bridge rebuild. It was a shitshow of people turning around on a tight two-lane road. With the popup, I had full rear visibility and had no problem backing it right into a driveway and off we went in the other direction. Dude behind us in an F-150 with a ~30' TT was sweating bullets trying to figure out how to turn around. Made his SO and kid get out to spot and multiple f-bombs could be heard from him through our open windows.

FUUUUUUUU carting around a giant ass trailer. That's more stress than it's worth IMO.