Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I want to buy a fuelmiser next, I'm doing a shit load of milage, and when I used to do it with the TDI I was legit surpassing my expenses with travel write offs by a large margin. Kind of treading water with my current setup. I could see a Corolla Hybrid or CT200 as a possible second car at some point if they get really cheap. Not sure I can trust Fraud with that kind of tech long term. I do love the :gorf: , and as it depreciates I will likely choose to run it into the ground first. It rolled over 50k miles and I'm into the optional extended warranty now which I'm :popcorn: about mainly because the car has been holding up well to date.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also this last minute flight out of State is pretty weird. Hopefully it pans out to be a good visit and worthwhile opportunity to learn and experience new things. I wouldn't be :doomed: about it just yet.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:23 pm I want to buy a fuelmiser next, I'm doing a shit load of milage, and when I used to do it with the TDI I was legit surpassing my expenses with travel write offs by a large margin. Kind of treading water with my current setup. I could see a Corolla Hybrid or CT200 as a possible second car at some point if they get really cheap. Not sure I can trust Fraud with that kind of tech long term. I do love the :gorf: , and as it depreciates I will likely choose to run it into the ground first. It rolled over 50k miles and I'm into the optional extended warranty now which I'm :popcorn: about mainly because the car has been holding up well to date.
Fraud gives you a free 100k warranty on hybrid parts. Entire transmission, inverter, motor, and battery pack. So there's that. Warranty paid for a new transmission in her car. :iono: I will be weary of keeping it past 100k but I can't deny I like the thing. It's a better handling Prius with some balls. The prius is such a slow turd.

Camry hybrid is a good car though. Like, legit good all around. A little odd looking. Or an Accord or Insight.
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:26 pm Also this last minute flight out of State is pretty weird. Hopefully it pans out to be a good visit and worthwhile opportunity to learn and experience new things. I wouldn't be :doomed: about it just yet.
I don't know what to think. We'll see tomorrow. 6:20 AM take off. What company does that.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:29 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:26 pm Also this last minute flight out of State is pretty weird. Hopefully it pans out to be a good visit and worthwhile opportunity to learn and experience new things. I wouldn't be :doomed: about it just yet.
I don't know what to think. We'll see tomorrow. 6:20 AM take off. What company does that.
I got a meeting invite for 4am... so yea. Last month I was on a conf call from 12-1:30am. Welcome to the global economy and 2019
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:17 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:55 pm
I’d be triggered by the premium upcharge ....

$3 vs $3.80
45 mpg vs 19
That’s $60 vs $180 if you drove 900 miles.... $120 buys you a nice dinner for two. That’s a pretty significant delta
I mean, this car isn't the cheapest in the world to run. Just had to replace a radiator hose due to a pinhole leak. On a 2014. :notsure: about that Fraud quality. But the fuel savings are real, compared to something like my STI.
When driving fun isn’t a priority, these things really add up. I am fully aware that I’m blowing over 1k a month on a toy vs something that I could spend 1/3 on and it would perform a similar function.

That said road trips in cars with stiff suspensions and shitty mpg are really annoying. If you get a fuel mising rental it literally pays for itself.

That $120 delta for a dinner for two is also nothing to sneeze at!

You wanna feel some pot holes and go deaf, or do you want an epic ribeye and a nice vodka soda plus whatever the lady desires ....

That’s the trade off as I see it. But if you’re rich enough where this is a non issue then :whocares:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:43 pm

I got a meeting invite for 4am... so yea. Last month I was on a conf call from 12-1:30am. Welcome to the global economy and 2019
This is my daily for years now.

I'm on a call right now and it's 3:03am.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:03 am

This is my daily for years now.

I'm on a call right now and it's 3:03am.
I took an emergency call last night after posting here. Sucks but the Benjamins keep getting dispensed appropriately, so I'm :dealwithit:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:28 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:23 pm I want to buy a fuelmiser next, I'm doing a shit load of milage, and when I used to do it with the TDI I was legit surpassing my expenses with travel write offs by a large margin. Kind of treading water with my current setup. I could see a Corolla Hybrid or CT200 as a possible second car at some point if they get really cheap. Not sure I can trust Fraud with that kind of tech long term. I do love the :gorf: , and as it depreciates I will likely choose to run it into the ground first. It rolled over 50k miles and I'm into the optional extended warranty now which I'm :popcorn: about mainly because the car has been holding up well to date.
Fraud gives you a free 100k warranty on hybrid parts. Entire transmission, inverter, motor, and battery pack. So there's that. Warranty paid for a new transmission in her car. :iono: I will be weary of keeping it past 100k but I can't deny I like the thing. It's a better handling Prius with some balls. The prius is such a slow turd.

Camry hybrid is a good car though. Like, legit good all around. A little odd looking. Or an Accord or Insight.
Turdyoda is a more overall reliable vehicle, but the fraud warranty certainly makes up for it. I have no illusions that a Hybrid Toyota would be boring to drive. I would consider the grounded to the ground new Camry ,when prices drop eventually :doe:

Either whore, I don't see myself buying a brand new anything next car, especially a :wasteful: hot hatch or :truk: with the miles I'm doing for work and the cottage.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Just to :triggered: people, I think the Volt is the perfect solution car here. 40-45mpg on the highway on 87. EV only mode is :stig 0-40, which makes it fun around town (and can go 60 miles EV only). It's surprisingly fun to drive with low COG and very decent steering. It's quiet and not too harsh but still feels sporty. 100k mile warranty on powertrain so :aintcare: operation. If it had just a bit more headroom and a more usable backseat, it'd be the perfect vehicle.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:42 am Just to :triggered: people, I think the Volt is the perfect solution car here. 40-45mpg on the highway on 87. EV only mode is :stig 0-40, which makes it fun around town (and can go 60 miles EV only). It's surprisingly fun to drive with low COG and very decent steering. It's quiet and not too harsh but still feels sporty. 100k mile warranty on powertrain so :aintcare: operation. If it had just a bit more headroom and a more usable backseat, it'd be the perfect vehicle.
So, if it were a cmax basically.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:33 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:42 am Just to :triggered: people, I think the Volt is the perfect solution car here. 40-45mpg on the highway on 87. EV only mode is :stig 0-40, which makes it fun around town (and can go 60 miles EV only). It's surprisingly fun to drive with low COG and very decent steering. It's quiet and not too harsh but still feels sporty. 100k mile warranty on powertrain so :aintcare: operation. If it had just a bit more headroom and a more usable backseat, it'd be the perfect vehicle.
Ferd quality :doe: CMAX also looks like a minivan IMO...I just couldn't bring myself to drive it. At least the Volt kind of looks sporty.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Gotta sell those joysticks and TV boxes.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:36 am

Ferd quality :doe: CMAX also looks like a minivan IMO...I just couldn't bring myself to drive it. At least the Volt kind of looks sporty.
Volt looks like a compact sedan. Cmax is ugly yes. I call it the jelly bean. Fraud quality yes that’s my concern too. So far it’s been meh on that front. Surprisingly decent to drive overall.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:41 am
Volt looks like a compact sedan. Cmax is ugly yes. I call it the jelly bean. Fraud quality yes that’s my concern too. So far it’s been meh on that front. Surprisingly decent to drive overall.
Yea, I'm sure it is rather decent to drive...just like the Volt surprises me. I just don't understand why the CMAX had to be so ugly. That's been the issue with hybrids overall IMO. The Volt is the one exception that looks decent, but there's a lot of functional compromises for the design. And even the design looks somewhat Prius-esque in some angles.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:18 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:10 pm :wasteful: where did you stay up in Maine?
Camden. Kind of small town but large-ish for that area. Really nice place to visit.
Google maps says about an 8 hour drive. :notbad: will look into this for a long weekend!
max225

Pot meet kettle....

Gm quality or fraud quality ....
last gen Honda Civic looks or minivan breadbox ....
Both have about equal performance ....
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:21 am
Pot meet kettle....

Yea, good points.

Can the CMAX go 60 miles on a charge?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

You're not alone in this, many journalists LOVE the Volt. I liked the newer Cruze quite well and they're similar but Volt is interesting and more efficient. I'd probably go CT200h, Insight, CRZ, or Volt if I drove an assload of miles, then keep a Corvette or Cayman or something for a fun car.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:26 am
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:21 am
Pot meet kettle....

Yea, good points.

I dunno does it matter ? They are both super cheap to drive. I can’t :member: but there are several versions of things like the fusion, some plug in some not. I don’t think Johnny has the plug in.
They are both pretty decent cars for what they are. Personally ... I would civic sport though ... at least it handles ... but you guys prefer even smaller wheels and softer suspensions
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:15 pm
wap wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:56 pm

The :turboyaris: has been pretty epic at that for us. 30+ mpg, comfortable, holds all our stuff, adequate power, handles curves ok, comfy
on 17's, etc.
Just sayin'
I had one. It was a piece of shit.
Yes, we're all well aware of your experience. My post was 85% observational and 15% :trollface:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:34 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:26 am
Yea, good points.

I dunno does it matter ? They are both super cheap to drive. I can’t :member: but there are several versions of things like the fusion, some plug in some not. I don’t think Johnny has the plug in.
They are both pretty decent cars for what they are. Personally ... I would civic sport though ... at least it handles ... but you guys prefer even smaller wheels and softer suspensions
Commuting on all electric is fantastic IMO...even cheaper than gas and more enjoyable. I'd really value that aspect in a hybrid.

Being able to put 15" wheels on it for the winter is game changing. Rides like a marshmallow over our lunar roads, zero concern about sidewall blow-outs, etc. Not many cars can take 15" wheels anymore, but the Volt can do it because the brakes are tiny since regen does most of the braking.
wap

These are really great hybrids, and :notbad: looking, either. :( that they didn't ever catch on and sell in bigger numbers in the face of the Prius juggernaut and that it was :nuke: . It's always a shame when a good vehicle is killed off too soon.

There's a really :neat: bloo one that's often parked in the train station down the block from my :haus: that's quite :nice:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:45 am
These are really great hybrids. :( that they didn't ever catch on in the face of the Prius juggernaut and that it was :nuke: . It's always a shame when a good vehicle is killed off too soon.
They never caught on because there was zero marketing effort behind them. Nobody really knew they existed and those that did just thought it was "GM's Prius".

A neighbor across the street came over asking questions about our Volt a month ago. He had no idea about the electric range, charging, etc. He sat inside it, poked around the hatch, and was really impressed. He left and a few days later came home with a new one that he got a great deal on from the :dillerman: looking to liquidate inventory.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:49 am
wap wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:45 am

These are really great hybrids. :( that they didn't ever catch on in the face of the Prius juggernaut and that it was :nuke: . It's always a shame when a good vehicle is killed off too soon.
They never caught on because there was zero marketing effort behind them. Nobody really knew they existed and those that did just thought it was "GM's Prius".

A neighbor across the street came over asking questions about our Volt a month ago. He had no idea about the electric range, charging, etc. He sat inside it, poked around the hatch, and was really impressed. He left and a few days later came home with a new one that he got a great deal on from the :dillerman: looking to liquidate inventory.
:notbad:

:rage: :| on the bolded. Yoda markets the shit out of the Prius, successfully, so there's no good reason why the General couldn't have done it.