Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

That's my favorite photo of the C5.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:43 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:19 pm

The dude lives over an hour away but I'll probably find time to go grab them next week anyways. Also tires are :rage: expensive, but the hat time I bought tires I got closeout 17" PSS

Just went out to roll my windows down. My car needs to come down like two inches :rage:
Lowering can and will drastically impact ride quality and scraping. I'd say you have an inch at most before it's really hard to drive.
That's all I'll realistically do anyways. The car already has the subframe scraper things, and I figure when I ditch the run flats and lower a little the ride will be about the same as it is now.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:48 pm Image
Fucking gawjiss

If my car wasn't a daily that's dream level ride height and wheel/tire setup

:jimp:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:02 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:48 pm Image
Fucking gawjiss

Better than a C6 IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:03 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Fucking gawjiss

Better than a C6 IMO.
Agree
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:42 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:27 pm
I was talking to a buddy about my car who's mildly entertaining purchasing it. He's been shopping C6's and asked me what makes a C6 better than mine.

All I could think of was LS3 potential and styling. C6's are really just C5.5's, so aside from the larger engine and some steering and transmission improvements in 08, I'm not sure why anyone would pay a premium for a C6 over a C5. Especially a well sorted modified C5.

If I could go back in time, I would have have bought a higher miles modified C5 and went from there. Probably would have saved me well over $5k through all of it. C6 is :neat: but meh. If I'm paying a premium, I'd just go all the way to a C7.
I was thinking the same thing, but I question the long term daily reliability and maintenance of highly modified cars like yours. I don't know enough about them, and they might be no worse than an unmodified LS3 car, but I pack the miles on mine so that's really the only question mark. I'd love to keep my car, and refresh it like you have, and maybe add a LS3 but that's only because I like the green with the C5 body lines so much. I was 4-9 years old during the C5 production and it made a big impression on me. I didn't know much about cars but I new a C5 when I saw one.
Dude if you prefer the look the theC5 just keep it, you have IMO the best color, low miles. C6 is great but not exactly a quantum leap unless you think the interior is so much better.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Well I may or may not be buying these. Real Speedlines off an '04.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:43 pm Well I may or may not be buying these. Real Speedlines off an '04.

Fake news. They never made Speedlines in chrome (unless those are polished and not chrome). Ask him to see the speedline stamp on the inside of the rim. If they don't have it, they're reps.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

2004 Z16 came with shiny polished speedlines.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote:
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:43 pm Well I may or may not be buying these. Real Speedlines off an '04.

Fake news. They never made Speedlines in chrome (unless those are polished and not chrome). Ask him to see the speedline stamp on the inside of the rim. If they don't have it, they're reps.
This the correct stamp?Image

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:14 am
Acid666 wrote:
This the correct stamp?Image

Looks like it to me. I love the look of my car so much more with the Speedlines, so much less old man. I would highly suggest not lowering your car, I like mine so much more now raised up, even though it looks a little worse.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

And I don’t even DD, but not high centering in the apartment parking deck is :fuckyeah:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

If I ever get another vette, it'll be rolling around with the air dam trimmed 50% and the ride height jacked up to the sky.

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

My car is missing the corners of the air dam.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:24 am And I don’t even DD, but not high centering in the apartment parking deck is :fuckyeah:
The Corvette tech I know actually crawled under my car to see if someone turned my bolts the wrong way.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:12 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:51 pm

The last set I got a couple years ago were like $90. I just call them up and give them the size I need.
:ohdang:

I might consider this. I've got some valvetrain noise that I think is due to my valvesprings being overkill plus spaghetti PR's. A better set of PR's and springs more fit for my cam (max lift of .614, so there should be beehives that work) might take care of the noise AND have a bit of an impact on performance.
What cam is in the engine? If the lobes are aggressive, valvetrain noise is going to be more prevalent. It's just the nature of the sewing machine beast. The 3/8" pushrods will help with stability in the upper RPM range, allowing the curve to smooth out, though. If you still have the cam card that came with your cam, it should have the seat pressure specs.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

So now I'm going to turn the conversation to tires. I'm not sure if the run flats in my car will stretch to fit these wheels, and I'm not sure I even want them on the car anymore. Tire rack says there's no tires available in oem sizes which I know there are, but can anyone recommend a good street tire? I usually go PSS or s04 but those are $$$ in these sizes. All out grip doesn't really matter I'd almost prefer a more comfort oriented tire but a good middle ground would be nice.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:52 am So now I'm going to turn the conversation to tires. I'm not sure if the run flats in my car will stretch to fit these wheels, and I'm not sure I even want them on the car anymore. Tire rack says there's no tires available in oem sizes which I know there are, but can anyone recommend a good street tire? I usually go PSS or s04 but those are $$$ in these sizes. All out grip doesn't really matter I'd almost prefer a more comfort oriented tire but a good middle ground would be nice.
Hoosiers.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:53 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:52 am So now I'm going to turn the conversation to tires. I'm not sure if the run flats in my car will stretch to fit these wheels, and I'm not sure I even want them on the car anymore. Tire rack says there's no tires available in oem sizes which I know there are, but can anyone recommend a good street tire? I usually go PSS or s04 but those are $$$ in these sizes. All out grip doesn't really matter I'd almost prefer a more comfort oriented tire but a good middle ground would be nice.
Hoosiers.
Of course how could I be so short sighted.
ChrisoftheNorth

Those are RARE. If you can pick them up for a good deal, :doit:

Better than thin spokes IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Continental Extremecontact Sport. Can be had in 275/40r17 front and 295/35r18 rear. Perfect.

I bought Toyo T1 Sports in 265/40r17 and 295/35r18...those are exact stock sizes. The tires are cheap and decent, but I think I would have liked the Extremecontacts more. People rave about them.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:45 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:12 pm
:ohdang:

I might consider this. I've got some valvetrain noise that I think is due to my valvesprings being overkill plus spaghetti PR's. A better set of PR's and springs more fit for my cam (max lift of .614, so there should be beehives that work) might take care of the noise AND have a bit of an impact on performance.
What cam is in the engine? If the lobes are aggressive, valvetrain noise is going to be more prevalent. It's just the nature of the sewing machine beast. The 3/8" pushrods will help with stability in the upper RPM range, allowing the curve to smooth out, though. If you still have the cam card that came with your cam, it should have the seat pressure specs.
BTR Stage II ground by comp. No idea on the specifics, but I suspect you're right on valvetrain noise. Just trying to minimize it if possible, my theory is that if my springs are too strong, they might be forcing the lifters to bleed down further slamming the valves closed harder making the noise?

Probably :wrong:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:08 am
Continental Extremecontact Sport. Can be had in 275/40r17 front and 295/35r18 rear. Perfect.

I bought Toyo T1 Sports in 265/40r17 and 295/35r18...those are exact stock sizes. The tires are cheap and decent, but I think I would have liked the Extremecontacts more. People rave about them.
I'm leaning towards cheap as I can get that isn't nexen or milestar basically.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:15 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:08 am

Check out Toyo T1 Sports. They're the cheapest "name brand" that I could find in stock sizes. Decent tires too, I can't complain much about them, just wish they had a tad more grip.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:17 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:15 am
Check out Toyo T1 Sports. They're the cheapest "name brand" that I could find in stock sizes. Decent tires too, I can't complain much about them, just wish they had a tad more grip.
These appear to be discontinued but maybe there's some left laying around somewhere.