Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:44 am I need to ride a Trance and a 5010 before I go :fullretard: on a 27.5+ hardtail...
You shouldn't buy a plus hardtail... and the 5010 is a short travel bike, too... very different from the Trance.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:44 am I need to ride a Trance and a 5010 before I go :fullretard: on a 27.5+ hardtail...
:wrong:
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:16 am
You shouldn't buy a plus hardtail... and the 5010 is a short travel bike, too... very different from the Trance.
The honest truth is, if you're not doing lift service, a 130mm 27.5 bike is plenty around here. A 5010 could be a really good pick for a playful, huckable little bike. The Trance is longer travel and likely better for riding larger features and drops and such, but we don't have much of that around here.

I dunno. I have a few friends that are sticking to 27.5 hardtails with 2.6 or greater tires, they seem to be pretty happy. I'm at a point that I want the full squish couch effect.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:48 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:36 am Sold the wife's old Specialized Myka 29er this morning to a guy from NY - he and his daughter took a ride down and bought it after a quick test ride. Girl seemed thrilled to be getting a pretty sweet bike. :like:

Now I just gotta get the wife out on Fled's wife's Embolden to seal the deal.
I spent that money on cats and cat related equipment already.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I want to try out a 5010 because the Bronson was grounded to the ground, 5010 should be more playful.
Trance is a different setup but has the longer travel so it’s worth a ride too. :iono:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:44 am

I want to try out a 5010 because the Bronson was grounded to the ground, 5010 should be more playful.
Trance is a different setup but has the longer travel so it’s worth a ride too. :iono:
I think you'll like the 5010. I had a blast on it years ago. I bet it pedals better than it used to.

Honestly the Giant Anthem felt pretty close to it. Maybe not as "fun" but not sure it was a while ago.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:44 pm Find something playful that can still pedal up a hill.

Nothing worse than trying to push a couch up a hill.
Depends. If the couch helps keep the wheels on the ground it can be a good thing.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Tl, dr: Bikes might have given me a career opportunity. I'm putting this here instead of career chat:

A few weeks ago I was working on the Schwinn on our front porch, which is shared with our neighbor (townhouse/duplex thing). The guy next door is older, maybe 60, and almost never home. The bike out on the porch caught his eye one day though, he used to work in a bike shop when those were new and has stayed up with cycling ever since. I only caught him for a second as it was getting dark.

Fast forward to the day I got the Motobecane and I was setting it up on the porch again, he stops by and talks bikes for probably 15 minutes. He bought one similar to mine to use as a beater and was really happy with it. After talking about technical bike stuff he asked about work, no surprise he works for Corning too. He casually mentioned that his group might have some contract work I could do.

I thought nothing of it, figuring it was typical "Yeah we should totally hang out some time!" talk that never materializes... but about a week later he rang the doorbell, gave me his card and wanted to set up an informal lunch/interview with him and the software engineer whose work they want to offload a bit. Basically a second more technical conversation to verify that I actually know this stuff.

The lunch actually happened today and seemed to go well. Turns out that they want two people like me, one contract like 3/4 time and one more permanent full time in similar roles for 2 different groups. It's not a straight up software development job but a combo of everything from that to basic IT support for small groups doing sort of prototype/development small scale pilot production stuff. Lots of general technical capability needed across the board, nothing super deep in any one subject. Basically exactly what I do.

:popcorn:

Ride bikes, get money? :notsure: :alpo:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:03 pm Tl, dr: Bikes might have given me a career opportunity. I'm putting this here instead of career chat:

A few weeks ago I was working on the Schwinn on our front porch, which is shared with our neighbor (townhouse/duplex thing). The guy next door is older, maybe 60, and almost never home. The bike out on the porch caught his eye one day though, he used to work in a bike shop when those were new and has stayed up with cycling ever since. I only caught him for a second as it was getting dark.

Fast forward to the day I got the Motobecane and I was setting it up on the porch again, he stops by and talks bikes for probably 15 minutes. He bought one similar to mine to use as a beater and was really happy with it. After talking about technical bike stuff he asked about work, no surprise he works for Corning too. He casually mentioned that his group might have some contract work I could do.

I thought nothing of it, figuring it was typical "Yeah we should totally hang out some time!" talk that never materializes... but about a week later he rang the doorbell, gave me his card and wanted to set up an informal lunch/interview with him and the software engineer whose work they want to offload a bit. Basically a second more technical conversation to verify that I actually know this stuff.

The lunch actually happened today and seemed to go well. Turns out that they want two people like me, one contract like 3/4 time and one more permanent full time in similar roles for 2 different groups. It's not a straight up software development job but a combo of everything from that to basic IT support for small groups doing sort of prototype/development small scale pilot production stuff. Lots of general technical capability needed across the board, nothing super deep in any one subject. Basically exactly what I do.

Thats fucking awesome Troy. :fuckyeah: go eat a steak tonight.
Johnny_P

I am very much in a funk.

My mornings are filling up with rando bs tasks. By the time I'm done it's 10-11 AM and I'm hungry, not a good time for a ride. So I eat, then it gets hot, and I don't want to ride. Then in the afternoon I have rando tasks too, or it just stays so hot/humid I have zero desire to go out and pedal around.

Now it cooled off but it's raining.

So I haven't really ridden anything in a week or so.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:32 pm I am very much in a funk.

My mornings are filling up with rando bs tasks. By the time I'm done it's 10-11 AM and I'm hungry, not a good time for a ride. So I eat, then it gets hot, and I don't want to ride. Then in the afternoon I have rando tasks too, or it just stays so hot/humid I have zero desire to go out and pedal around.

Now it cooled off but it's raining.

So I haven't really ridden anything in a week or so.
Switch your schedule around. Get out early, go ride, come home and derp.

I feel so much better after early morning rides.
I have a hard time getting up for early morning rides but yeah that's an option I should explore.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:35 pm Switch your schedule around. Get out early, go ride, come home and derp.

I feel so much better after early morning rides.
I have a hard time getting up for early morning rides but yeah that's an option I should explore.
I've been doing late morning or lunch time because fuck waking up early. I just make it a requirement that I have to ride before I can eat anything. I'm not looking for riding to be fun yet :doe:
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:03 pm Tl, dr: Bikes might have given me a career opportunity. I'm putting this here instead of career chat:

Nah, just like you I'm not counting my :meat: until I see a check. This could easily fall apart since my resumé sucks and the recession appears to be happening. :waiting:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:42 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Nah, just like you I'm not counting my :meat: until I see a check. This could easily fall apart since my resumé sucks and the recession appears to be happening. :waiting:
I've burned over $10k since being unemployed for 2 months. Dat wedding doe.

If this job falls apart though, yeah I'll be a bit more concerned.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:39 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
I've been doing late morning or lunch time because fuck waking up early. I just make it a requirement that I have to ride before I can eat anything. I'm not looking for riding to be fun yet :doe:
I bet you have a lot of fun dirt 2-track roads up that way. Central PA has those roads all over. Go start exploring a bit. :)
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:39 pm I've been doing late morning or lunch time because fuck waking up early. I just make it a requirement that I have to ride before I can eat anything. I'm not looking for riding to be fun yet :doe:
I bet you have a lot of fun dirt 2-track roads up that way. Central PA has those roads all over. Go start exploring a bit. :)
Easier said than done when I'm looking at realistically an hour max door to door right now to not get dead. Maybe if I drove the car to the starting point?
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:44 pm Find something playful that can still pedal up a hill.

Nothing worse than trying to push a couch up a hill.
:word:

I love Fleds AM, but I also want to support my LBS since he is a huge part of maintaining the local trails.

#dilemma
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:20 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:10 pm

:word:

I love Fleds AM, but I also want to support my LBS since he is a huge part of maintaining the local trails.

#dilemma
Support Fled, since he's a huge part of maintaining your bikes.
:notwrong:
Fleds gotta sell the Occam doe. :hue:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:39 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:20 pm

Support Fled, since he's a huge part of maintaining your bikes.
:notwrong:
Fleds gotta sell the Occam doe. :hue:

Also: this could basically be my theme song. :notbad:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

I think I’m keeping the Occam and buying a Reign for next season.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:03 pm I think I’m keeping the Occam and buying a Reign for next season.
:megusta:

You’re gonna need a bigger :haus: for all dem bikes.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:07 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:03 pm I think I’m keeping the Occam and buying a Reign for next season.
:megusta:

You’re gonna need a bigger :haus: for all dem bikes.
Next year: side cars for the cats
Johnny_P

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.philly ... s/%3famp=1

Stay safe out there guys. Someone kills you while riding your bike? No repercussions.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.philly ... s/%3famp=1

Stay safe out there guys. Someone kills you while riding your bike? No repercussions.
The $6M settlement is more than I'll make in my lifetime :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:21 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:54 pm https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.philly ... s/%3famp=1

If you're gonna hit me, make it count.

Living as a cripple is no quality of life.
So much this.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.