Kamry XSE impressions and further updates

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:53 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Every single Mini :dillerman: around me seems to be low pressure and staffed with car dudes.... legit :notbad: ownershit experience if :dillerman: is your thing.
Wasn't that the goal for MINI :dillerman: ? To be low pressure and cool AF?

It's a shame the model didn't work...unfortunately MINI is the opposite of what people want these days. MORE IS BETTER BIGGER IS BETTER :truk: :truckyeah:
They initially sold well partly because they were a hip fashion accessory. Now those people got burned by bad reliability of older models and they're out. Minis aren't fashionable like they used to be. And nobody cares about driving anyway. Also cheap gas.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:48 pm

It's a shame the model didn't work...unfortunately MINI is the opposite of what people want these days. MORE IS BETTER BIGGER IS BETTER :truk: :truckyeah:
They initially sold well partly because they were a hip fashion accessory. Now those people got burned by bad reliability of older models and they're out. Minis aren't fashionable like they used to be. And nobody cares about driving anyway. Also cheap gas.
$4 a gallon here breh... 40 million souls In commifornia

I'd say nearly 40% of the country (Hawaii, Alaska, cali, NY, washington) is at @ or near $4 a gallon... that's not "cheap" if it is 1/2-1/3 of the car payment
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:23 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:16 pm

It does seem like a much better character fit, and it was my sole choice until i drove the auto... which was frankly :notbad:
Autos have just gotten so good...a good one really don't ruin the experience as much as they used to.
Man, I remember when you were in my camp, :manuel: for lyfe. [user not found] was too. :sad: :foreveralone:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:24 pm
Autos have just gotten so good...a good one really don't ruin the experience as much as they used to.
Man, I remember when you were in my camp, :manuel: for lyfe. [user not found] was too. :sad: :foreveralone:
Adapt or die breh. Gotta stay current with things.

That said, I personally wouldn't consider an auto MINI (or any "fun" car period) but I can see why others would.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

They keep making manuals more "comfort" oriented. Things like rev match, easy to throw (lifeless :flaccid: ) shifters, super light clutches with assist springs which kill clutch engagement feel, heavy ass dual mass flywheels to smooth out NVH and kill involvement, and then add in emissions shit which hangs revs...

Compared to automatics which they keep making more "sport" oriented with better gear ratios, no rev hang issues, super fast shifts, etc...

When you're picking the transmission only for "involvement" reasons because the MPG, cost (mostly), and acceleration bennies don't exist anymore, and they kill the "involvement" then what are you really left with?
Last edited by Johnny_P on Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:59 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:48 pm

I'd say nearly 40% of the country (Hawaii, Alaska, cali, NY, washington) is at @ or near $4 a gallon... that's not "cheap" if it is 1/2-1/3 of the car payment
Saw gas for $2.49 by work today. :thankstrump:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:24 pm Man, I remember when you were in my camp, :manuel: for lyfe. [user not found] was too. :sad: :foreveralone:
They keep making manuals more "comfort" oriented. Things like rev match, easy to throw (lifeless :flaccid: ) shifters, clutch assist springs which kill clutch engagement feel, heavy ass dual mass flywheels to smooth out NVH and kill involvement, and then add in emissions shit which hangs revs...

Compared to automatics which they keep making more "sport" oriented with better gear ratios, no rev hang issues, super fast shifts, etc...

When you're picking the transmission only for "involvement" reasons because the MPG, cost (mostly), and acceleration bennies don't exist anymore, and they kill the "involvement" then what are you really left with?
:dat: :dat: :dat:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:30 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:59 pm

:dat: its well under $3/gal here and in the majority of the US. Local station is $2.79 according to gasbuddy right now. Of course the upcharge to premium keeps increasing, it's $0.60 now on average.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:28 pm

Yeah, if gas prices had stayed high, I think MINI would be singing a different song right now.

Sad.
What do you think of this? https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 90857.html

The :plac: gears are turning a little bit too quickly right now.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:30 pm

They keep making manuals more "comfort" oriented. Things like rev match, easy to throw (lifeless :flaccid: ) shifters, super light clutches with assist springs which kill clutch engagement feel, heavy ass dual mass flywheels to smooth out NVH and kill involvement, and then add in emissions shit which hangs revs...

So true. Making them easier to drive also killed what made them fun.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:30 pm
:dat: its well under $3/gal here and in the majority of the US. Local station is $2.79 according to gasbuddy right now. Of course the upcharge to premium keeps increasing, it's $0.60 now on average.
Yep, I paid $.60 premium for 93 last week.

:disgust:
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Yeah, if gas prices had stayed high, I think MINI would be singing a different song right now.

Sad.
What do you think of this? https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 90857.html

I haven't driven the R gen lately... so I am :notsure: but this is also not a JCW but a pooper S + appearance.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:07 pm

I haven't driven the R gen lately... so I am :notsure: but this is also not a JCW but a pooper S + appearance.
I think I will drove my buddy’s R56 this weekend for :science:
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:31 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:07 pm
I think I will drove my buddy’s R56 this weekend for :science:
Do it and report back.... prepare for :mindblown: steering differences... these things are pretty good. Drive an F too if you have a chance.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:39 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:26 pm Damn it, now ya’ll have me looking for a F56 now...
This thread has me looking into 2013 JCWs. :doomed:
I’d seriously consider a :plac: move going for a ‘13 JCW. Best looking MINIs IMO.
max225

Apex wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:52 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:39 pm

This thread has me looking into 2013 JCWs. :doomed:
I’d seriously consider a :plac: move going for a ‘13 JCW. Best looking MINIs IMO.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =243368555

They are not cheap...
Apex

Sad.

I owned this same spec, but orange.
A proper alignment, strut towers are slotted, and it’ll be a blast to drive.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:57 pm

:word:

Seems like a JCW is about 60% more :notsure:

The one I’ll be driving is justacooper... but will he a good trial.
max225

WMWXM9C54GT997010

Could anyone run a carfox.... Irvine bro responded. Things I don't like...
1. He took 24 hrs to respond
2. Car is slightly modded, but may be a plus as it is a quality exhaust that is :tits:
3. I think he may be AZN, and there is a language barrier.... he responded to 1/2 my questions and made a 1/2 assed ad.
4. He mentioned the wheels were curbed...

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-MI ... =248860122
Last edited by max225 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

Also he is "leaving the country on the 17th" ok... another one :wtf: 2/2 people i contacted about the JCW are "leaving the country"
Apex

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:13 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:57 pm

:word:

Seems like a JCW is about 60% more :notsure:

The one I’ll be driving is justacooper... but will he a good trial.
My S was fun to drive, I do miss that car a lot. Easily the nicest interior I ever had with the full leather package.
On the R series, you want the nav since that gets you streaming Bluetooth audio.
max225

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:36 pm WMWXM9C54GT997010

2. Car is slightly modded, but may be a plus as it is a quality exhaust that is :tits:
3. I think he may be AZN, and there is a language barrier.... he responded to 1/2 my questions and made a 1/2 assed ad.

Pulling this in to keep things clean and not to cause to much :derp: confusion...

Alright.... so the Mini in question has one curbed to shit wheel in the front right corner... and I mean curbed to shit... 270/360 degrees. Dude's name is Siteng... he is messaging me from UC/Irvine... so i am assuming that's where he is an exchange student...

He tells me he did get his oil changed every 5k.... :notsure: as the car is nearly new... that's like what 1x? He is not the original owner... got it at 6000 miles.... now at 17000, registration sticker in back states july 2019... so :notsure: if he paid the registration yet... :wtf: , I asked him about title... as I am not sure as too who owns the car, him or bank or whatever.

Also that mini does not have the nicer seats... base seats + every other option :doe:

Him leaving on 8/17 is quite wild... but I did price a 1 way flight for 169.... so Ill keep that in mind....

So to sum things up. for the TLDR crowd
1. Curbed wheel
2. Registration is latish (he just mentioned he paid it, in order to get a CarMax appraisal.
3. Dude seems a bit like a turd as his pics to me were terrible. (blurry pics, he must have just taken), but #howbadcanitbe as the car is a 2016 with 17k miles...
4. needs tints ~$240
5. needs stripes $80
6. needs registration ?
7. Needs new front right wheel
8. Why were the brakes changed at 17k miles... he told me he didn't track but... :notsure:
9. Remus exhaust big bonus -$500
10. Sunroof screen may be broken... but he mentioned warranty... :wtf: I am following up.

Asking price 24k... I am thinking I'd offer up 22k at most... it is more of a risk... we don't have anyone in Irvine do we ?

Major hibachi dolphin updates tonight... it seems :yikes:
max225

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:15 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:36 pm WMWXM9C54GT997010

Pulling this in to keep things clean and not to cause to much :derp: confusion...

Alright.... so the Mini in question has one curbed to shit wheel in the front right corner... and I mean curbed to shit... 270/360 degrees. Dude's name is Siteng... he is messaging me from UC/Irvine... so i am assuming that's where he is an exchange student...

He tells me he did get his oil changed every 5k.... :notsure: as the car is nearly new... that's like what 1x? He is not the original owner... got it at 6000 miles.... now at 17000, registration sticker in back states july 2019... so :notsure: if he paid the registration yet... :wtf: , I asked him about title... as I am not sure as too who owns the car, him or bank or whatever.

Also that mini does not have the nicer seats... base seats + every other option :doe:

Him leaving on 8/17 is quite wild... but I did price a 1 way flight for 169.... so Ill keep that in mind....

So to sum things up. for the TLDR crowd
1. Curbed wheel
2. Registration is latish (he just mentioned he paid it, in order to get a CarMax appraisal.
3. Dude seems a bit like a turd as his pics to me were terrible. (blurry pics, he must have just taken), but #howbadcanitbe as the car is a 2016 with 17k miles...
4. needs tints ~$240
5. needs stripes $80
6. needs registration ?
7. Needs new front right wheel
8. Why were the brakes changed at 17k miles... he told me he didn't track but... :notsure:
9. Remus exhaust big bonus -$500
10. Sunroof screen may be broken... but he mentioned warranty... :wtf: I am following up.

Asking price 24k... I am thinking I'd offer up 22k at most... it is more of a risk... we don't have anyone in Irvine do we ?

Major hibachi dolphin updates tonight... it seems :yikes:
And I’m passing .... way too many things too difficult with this guy .... leaving country in 3 days .. lien sale... can’t fucking take pics or answer simple questions :wtf:
max225

:rage:
max225

https://www.audijacksonville.com/used/M ... r_listings#

This is my perfect color/option combo. Now I need to figure out shipping situation and or if I’ll have reg issues here. The price even +$1000 shipping is good for me.

Do we have anyone close to Jacksonville ?

This is my perfect spec... getting in touch with the :dillerman: tomorrow... shipping quote is $1049 which is :notbad: pending non insane doc fees this should come in under anything within this state... but... i won't get to drive it before I buy it... :fullretard: or... :jesus: it'll be fine.

1 owner, local to that state, @ excellent :dillerman: with good reviews...