Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

I just installed the SunRace 11-50 11 speed cassette, new chain and shifter cable.

Bike park tomorrow... not that I need the 50 to go downhill.

In other news, the parts Orbea sent me to update to 2018 spec are for the 29" TR model (the one [user not found] has) and not my AM model. Awesome.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:06 pm I just installed the SunRace 11-50 11 speed cassette, new chain and shifter cable.

In other news, the parts Orbea sent me to update to 2018 spec are for the 29" TR model (the one [user not found] has) and not my AM model. Awesome.
Time for a Demo 8.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:17 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:06 pm I just installed the SunRace 11-50 11 speed cassette, new chain and shifter cable.

Time for a Demo 8.
Not wrong.

The rebuild bill to convert the Occam to 2018 spec will effectively be $1500 if I go with a DPX2 and a Fox 36.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/reign-29-2-2020

Or I go full ham and spend $2500 on that, and keep the Occam as a trail bike.

Which is obviously the smarter idea.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:51 pm Good thing I'm slow. 50/13 is plenty for me, so 40/10 is fine too.

Do you really use a gear that fast and that slow? Seems like if you're 100+% stronger than me then you should be fine with a 48/42 low gear?
I use my 53x11 on the CAAD on long downhills. 50 MPH descents are fun. :stig:
Do you leg press 1500 lbs? :massles:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:26 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:51 pm Good thing I'm slow. 50/13 is plenty for me, so 40/10 is fine too.

Do you really use a gear that fast and that slow? Seems like if you're 100+% stronger than me then you should be fine with a 48/42 low gear?
I use my 53x11 on the CAAD on long downhills. 50 MPH descents are fun. :stig:
Been a while since I’ve hit 50. Compact gearing tho.
troyguitar

I guess you are probably riding with more hills than I am since I'm trying to avoid them for now. I can see going :plaid: on a steeper hill. The first few blocks leaving my house are steep enough to hit 30+ while barely pedaling, makes you feel like a hero when you take off... then it blows coming home.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:36 am I guess you are probably riding with more hills than I am since I'm trying to avoid them for now. I can see going :plaid: on a steeper hill. The first few blocks leaving my house are steep enough to hit 30+ while barely pedaling, makes you feel like a hero when you take off... then it blows coming home.
Yeah. Try throwing some hills into your rides. Even just easy ones.
Johnny_P

I need to make it a point to ride more in the late mornings.

Tried riding some of Belmont the other day and just gave up. Nearly threw up. IDK what happened. Humidity was super high and it was like 85-90F maybe that had something to do with it.

Bike updates:

The MTB now has a 2.35 Nobby Nic on the front and a 2.25 Nobby Nic on the rear. We will see if that helps at all, I was just spinning out on the conti, no traction, and the stiff sidewalls didn't conform to stuff nicely. Schwalbe set up tubeless so much easier than the Conti ever did, considering it never actually set. I think I should get one of those air blaster pumps though to help seat the tire initially. Found 2 loose spokes on the MTB after my last Wiss rip, tightened them but I don't have a truing stand so they'll need to go to the shop. My MTB is outgunned in the Wiss sadly. It used to be fine but the trails got super rough, or I got super soft not sure which. My financial adviser told me "go buy a fucking mountain bike." lol.

Roadie is gone. Sold. Bye bye Cervelo. Less than I wanted for it but I'm happy it's going to a friend of a friend who wants to get into riding, instead of some :manuel: in the city who wants to deliver chinese food on it, so I'm content. I'm going to miss that bike, already kind of do. It was a little rocket. All my bikes now are slugs.

The All City I'm 80% sure has a bent derailleur hanger. I had to wedge it under a downed tree and dragged in in the dirt, wasn't paying attention and it happened to be laying on the drive side which is odd I'm usually really careful about that stuff. So there's that. Will need to get that looked at because its clicking in some of the gears now. Shifts OK, just making some more driveline noise than normal. I think I need a new rear tire on it. It's not holding tubeless anymore, sidewalls are leaking like crazy. It's fine for a shorter ride but it will lose almost all pressure overnight at this point. Still debating a carbon thru axle fork for it.... but I might go full retard on a different bike because there's still some things I'd like to change on this one, like going to 1x driveline, lower gear ratio, thru axle, hydro disc, and lighter weight. I love this bike though. I'd say it's 80% there. Still a hoot to chuck it around on trails it's totally outclassed on.

Ordered some new Crank Bros Candy pedals. My eggbeaters bit the dust after 9 solid years of use and I have just been switching pedals between bikes for the last few weeks, so put an end to that with new ones. If they fail early I'll switch brands likely to Time ATAC. I like the loose float feel and huge release angle of the CB stuff, just feels more comfortable to me and my knees than the SPD stuff ever did :iono: personal preferences I guess. I hear the Time's are similar but more expensive, but supposedly last longer?
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:36 am I guess you are probably riding with more hills than I am since I'm trying to avoid them for now. I can see going :plaid: on a steeper hill. The first few blocks leaving my house are steep enough to hit 30+ while barely pedaling, makes you feel like a hero when you take off... then it blows coming home.
What's easy? This is my flattest route.

Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:58 am
Johnny_P wrote:
What's easy? This is my flattest route.

That looks alright. Maybe one other similar hill.
troyguitar

Picked up 4% riding in pretty much identical conditions today with the SPD pedals, 17.8 vs 17.1 mph on the flat-ish open road section. Way fucking easier to ride.

I guess gear actually does matter? NFW would I be able to do that on the old Schwinn.
troyguitar

Also did a flat sprint between 2 traffic lights in town, looks like standing up and pedaling as hard as I can is only good for about 25 mph. :jalepenis:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:26 pm Picked up 4% riding in pretty much identical conditions today with the SPD pedals, 17.8 vs 17.1 mph on the flat-ish open road section. Way fucking easier to ride.

I guess gear actually does matter? NFW would I be able to do that on the old Schwinn.
Keep your pedal RPM around 90. Clip in pedals allow you to spin faster than flats.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:55 am I need to make it a point to ride more in the late mornings.

Tried riding some of Belmont the other day and just gave up. Nearly threw up. IDK what happened. Humidity was super high and it was like 85-90F maybe that had something to do with it.

Bike updates:

The MTB now has a 2.35 Nobby Nic on the front and a 2.25 Nobby Nic on the rear. We will see if that helps at all, I was just spinning out on the conti, no traction, and the stiff sidewalls didn't conform to stuff nicely. Schwalbe set up tubeless so much easier than the Conti ever did, considering it never actually set. I think I should get one of those air blaster pumps though to help seat the tire initially. Found 2 loose spokes on the MTB after my last Wiss rip, tightened them but I don't have a truing stand so they'll need to go to the shop. My MTB is outgunned in the Wiss sadly. It used to be fine but the trails got super rough, or I got super soft not sure which.

My financial adviser told me "go buy a fucking mountain bike." lol.

Roadie is gone. Sold. Bye bye Cervelo. Less than I wanted for it but I'm happy it's going to a friend of a friend who wants to get into riding, instead of some :manuel: in the city who wants to deliver chinese food on it, so I'm content. I'm going to miss that bike, already kind of do. It was a little rocket. All my bikes now are slugs.

The All City I'm 80% sure has a bent derailleur hanger. I had to wedge it under a downed tree and dragged in in the dirt, wasn't paying attention and it happened to be laying on the drive side which is odd I'm usually really careful about that stuff. So there's that. Will need to get that looked at because its clicking in some of the gears now. Shifts OK, just making some more driveline noise than normal. I think I need a new rear tire on it. It's not holding tubeless anymore, sidewalls are leaking like crazy. It's fine for a shorter ride but it will lose almost all pressure overnight at this point. Still debating a carbon thru axle fork for it.... but I might go full retard on a different bike because there's still some things I'd like to change on this one, like going to 1x driveline, lower gear ratio, thru axle, hydro disc, and lighter weight. I love this bike though. I'd say it's 80% there. Still a hoot to chuck it around on trails it's totally outclassed on.

Ordered some new Crank Bros Candy pedals. My eggbeaters bit the dust after 9 solid years of use and I have just been switching pedals between bikes for the last few weeks, so put an end to that with new ones. If they fail early I'll switch brands likely to Time ATAC. I like the loose float feel and huge release angle of the CB stuff, just feels more comfortable to me and my knees than the SPD stuff ever did :iono: personal preferences I guess. I hear the Time's are similar but more expensive, but supposedly last longer?
Go buy a fucking mountain bike. :sissyfight:
Not wrong. If this job kicks in and I get a paycheck it’s happening.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:26 pm Picked up 4% riding in pretty much identical conditions today with the SPD pedals, 17.8 vs 17.1 mph on the flat-ish open road section. Way fucking easier to ride.

Keep your pedal RPM around 90. Clip in pedals allow you to spin faster than flats.
Ah I'm probably slower than that most of the time. I'd guess more like 70-75? Hard to say.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:15 pm Ah I'm probably slower than that most of the time. I'd guess more like 70-75? Hard to say.
A slightly higher cadence allows you to slow the build of lactic acid in the leg muscles.

So, I've got a few Sigma bike computers laying around, come with HR monitors, cadence, and speed sensors - they're older, so not ANT+ or BT enabled, but if you want something to stare at while you ride the bike, they're great for that. Free + shipping if you want, let me know. New in box, too.
I'm hoping to avoid staring at screens but it might be useful to try until I get a feel for the cadences?

Somewhere I have a Polar H7 monitor that can hook up to Strava, it's still buried from the move. Then I'd need a phone mount to actually see the HR in real time - or maybe some kind of smart watch? :iono:

I figure for now I have enough stuff to pay attention to between traffic, posture, and these new fancy pedals. The HR monitor would likely help a lot for longer rides :doe: to keep me from running at 180+ bpm all the time.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Rode a new trail today...professionally designed and cut... absolutely the most fun I've had on an MTB. An hour from my house, 17 miles of rollercoaster single track, every turn banked, it was incredible.

Also my first ride with the Black Bibs. Absolutely game changing. I'm going to order a few more right now. Shorts are terrible in comparison, especially for a :fatty:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:28 am
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:22 pm

Not wrong.

The rebuild bill to convert the Occam to 2018 spec will effectively be $1500 if I go with a DPX2 and a Fox 36.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/reign-29-2-2020

Or I go full ham and spend $2500 on that, and keep the Occam as a trail bike.

Which is obviously the smarter idea.
You mean sell the Occam to ‘Pex. :dillerman:
:troywax: :fuckyeah:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:50 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:28 am

You mean sell the Occam to ‘Pex. :dillerman:
Don’t fucking tempt me.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:17 pm
Apex wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:50 pm

Don’t fucking tempt me.
:trollface:

I need a couple new paychecks to roll in first.
troyguitar

Johnny_P

Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:23 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:58 pm https://kustomcaps.com/collections/text ... rian-biggs
My buddy designed this. Get yourself some bike farkles.

And for Troy:
https://kustomcaps.com/collections/fron ... rian-biggs
This one for 'Pecs: https://kustomcaps.com/collections/grap ... illuminati
:dat: will go on the new bike fo sho.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:36 am Sold the wife's old Specialized Myka 29er this morning to a guy from NY - he and his daughter took a ride down and bought it after a quick test ride. Girl seemed thrilled to be getting a pretty sweet bike. :like:

Now I just gotta get the wife out on Fled's wife's Embolden to seal the deal.
I spent that money on cats and cat related equipment already.
Apex

I need to ride a Trance and a 5010 before I go :fullretard: on a 27.5+ hardtail...