Gberg's GoRf Thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:17 pm First autocross with the R is in the books. Felt a ton of understeer, especially on the comeback turn. Maybe I was just over-driving but these pirellis scream like crazy.

We had 5 runs today with my fastest being the 49.013 below. I started with initial pressures at 42 front and 45 rear but then lowered the fronts to 40 hoping to get more bite. I also think I messed up and should've ran full ESC off. I had it in ESC Sport for all my runs.

I finished pretty much mid-pack. I was off the pace of a few Mk7 GTI's and ST's but I'm pretty sure they were running RE71R's.

Any tips to improve on tomorrow?

Hmm you’re :manuel: ? From
What I can hear ... that’s part of the other diff.... and man you got some noisy tires !
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:04 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:17 pm First autocross with the R is in the books. Felt a ton of understeer, especially on the comeback turn. Maybe I was just over-driving but these pirellis scream like crazy.

We had 5 runs today with my fastest being the 49.013 below. I started with initial pressures at 42 front and 45 rear but then lowered the fronts to 40 hoping to get more bite. I also think I messed up and should've ran full ESC off. I had it in ESC Sport for all my runs.

I finished pretty much mid-pack. I was off the pace of a few Mk7 GTI's and ST's but I'm pretty sure they were running RE71R's.

Any tips to improve on tomorrow?

Hmm you’re :manuel: ? From
What I can hear ... that’s part of the other diff.... and man you got some noisy tires !
Yeah. I'm :manuel: . There were a few parts of the course I thought I'd be on the rev limiter but I never had any issues. I was in second gear the whole time.

I was surprised at how much the pirellis screeched. Any time I turned the wheel they were yelling.

On a positive note, the quicker steering rack in the Mk7 is a nice improvement over the Mk6.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Things you can do in a day are limited. Pump up the rear tires to 55 PSI, drop the fronts to 40, set your toe to zero all around if not slightly out, and - drive better.

I thought that my :poorvette: had crazy understeer at first too, but it was partially because I was driving too hard into the corners (but it was also a poor setup with 265/305 tarz).
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Run it ESC fully off.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:07 pm Things you can do in a day are limited. Pump up the rear tires to 55 PSI, drop the fronts to 40, set your toe to zero all around if not slightly out, and - drive better.

I thought that my :poorvette: had crazy understeer at first too, but it was partially because I was driving too hard into the corners (but it was also a poor setup with 265/305 tarz).
What sucks about tomorrow is that I'm running second and working third. So I get there early, walk the course, sit around for an hour and a half forgetting the course, then going out and driving.

I see a few spots in my fastest lap where I could’ve picked up some time. Like lifting partly through that slalom before the comeback turn. But obviously the course will be different tomorrow.

Should I go 55psi at the rears even with ESC fully off?
troyguitar

Gberg2119 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:07 pm Things you can do in a day are limited. Pump up the rear tires to 55 PSI, drop the fronts to 40, set your toe to zero all around if not slightly out, and - drive better.

What sucks about tomorrow is that I'm running second and working third. So I get there early, walk the course, sit around for an hour and a half forgetting the course, then going out and driving.

I see a few spots in my fastest lap where I could’ve picked up some time. Like lifting partly through that slalom before the comeback turn. But obviously the course will be different tomorrow.

Should I go 55psi at the rears even with ESC fully off?
Totally wild guess, but I'd probably start around 38/50 front/rear cold pressures and then drop the fronts back to 40 hot between runs while ignoring the rears.
troyguitar

ESC should definitely be off too, I didn't realize that you had it on.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

My :turboyaris: was a lot better for autox once doing the full traction assist disable so I imagine that would help.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The :gorf: was significantly better with ESC completely off. I can't believe I even tried it in sport mode. Ran 40psi up front and 45 in the back again. I could definitely feel the rear end get squirrelly coming out of the slaloms. 45 might be enough for the 19 inch wheels.

There were only 2 GTI's in GS and both were a smidge quicker by 0.562 and 0.008. Both were on 17" ramz with RE71R tars and had rear sway bars. Finished ahead of some WRX's and FoST's so that's good.

Finished 59th in PAX out of 132 drivers so midpack again.

Here's my fastest run at 46.091.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:gorf: modz time! :[user not found]: being the bad influence he is, I also picked up a Raceseng shifter. I went with a translucent blue contour that I ordered thursday night and arrived today. It looks absolutely amazing. Install wasn't hard but I'd say it was frustrating. Especially when removing the stock knob from the boot. After that it wasn't too bad. I didn't bottom out the knob but it's about a half inch lower than the stock shifter height.

I was also pretty disappointed in the piss poor quality of the VW R plate frame. I've had it on for two and a half years but it started flaking after just one. The nuts on my volvo plate bracket were also :disgust: . Ordered a black silicone plate frame off amazon and new nuts from FCP Euro so when they rust out again I can use their lifetime guarantee.

Before:

After:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Another Sunday for autocross with :notbad: results. I finished 4 of 4 in DS behind the Hype R, Evo X, and FoRS who I trailed by only 0.774. Hype R and Evo were both running the bridgestones and I believe the FoRS had the sport cup 2's. I don't think I'd go to such an aggressive like the bridgestones for a daily but I've gotta think the PS4S are better than these P Zeros on it now.

First video is my fastest run at 32.369. I was running pressures at 40/45 again but as you can see in the second video, understeer is still plentiful so I never bled air off the rear tires. They got up to around 47psi at the rear in later runs. The vibrations were insane especially in the big sweeper at the end.

And here's a pic I took of the front tire after all my runs. It doesn't appear to be rolling too much so I think I'm good at 40?

troyguitar

Those pressures are probably good.

PS4S is a really good compromise tire. The RE71R is actually good on the street when it's new but they get really loud around 5-10k miles.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:23 pm Those pressures are probably good.

PS4S is a really good compromise tire. The RE71R is actually good on the street when it's new but they get really loud around 5-10k miles.
I think so too. I'm not that far off some of these faster guys. With better tires and a rear bar the :gorf: should be in the mix. Finished 39 in PAX out of 93. So midpack again.

Watching these guys on RE71R's though is crazy. They're totally silent going around the track. They don't make any noise and they just grip.

And you see the understeer in my second video though? Right around 33 seconds. It does it a few times but that was the worst. That's not a problem with my phone, the whole car was vibrating.
troyguitar

That's just what happens when you overdrive the front tires, most cars will do that. Gotta back off a bit to keep that outside front tire working. It's hard to tell much more without seeing your pedals and steering wheel but you look like you're doing alright in general, the little slalom section was a little choppy. The way to go through those is to always be (kind of slowly) turning the wheel so that it's a smooth transition from side to side.
max225

How long do the RE71s last ? 200 rating on the tread wear is :notbad:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:43 pm That's just what happens when you overdrive the front tires, most cars will do that. Gotta back off a bit to keep that outside front tire working. It's hard to tell much more without seeing your pedals and steering wheel but you look like you're doing alright in general, the little slalom section was a little choppy. The way to go through those is to always be (kind of slowly) turning the wheel so that it's a smooth transition from side to side.
I was trying to get the wheel straight as soon as possible but the big sweeping turns didn't really help.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:59 am How long do the RE71s last ? 200 rating on the tread wear is :notbad:
PS4S, ECS, and P Zero are all 300 or higher :doe:
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:26 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:59 am How long do the RE71s last ? 200 rating on the tread wear is :notbad:
I am trying to make a mental note... my 300 TW tired in the M3 last about 25k miles tops, most change em out at 15-20k and I am a :scrooge: when it comes to this...

Curious about these especially since some DD them... 200 TW rating isn't terrible... there are some others that are at double digits...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... odEALw_wcB

These supposedly only last less than 10k miles as well.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:31 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:26 pm

I am trying to make a mental note... my 300 TW tired in the M3 last about 25k miles tops, most change em out at 15-20k and I am a :scrooge: when it comes to this...

Curious about these especially since some DD them... 200 TW rating isn't terrible... there are some others that are at double digits...

The only people who DD sport cup 2's are :waxer: . In my 19 inch size they're $333 a piece. Bridgestones are $268.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:19 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:31 pm

The only people who DD sport cup 2's are :waxer: . In my 19 inch size they're $333 a piece. Bridgestones are $268.
yea makes sense... mine were 300 a front and 340 per in the rear. And that was with epic :dill: discounting... its about 1.5 more at the :dillerman: rape palace.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I have the 200TW Falkens on the :poorvette: and they are holding up nicely. Over 4,000 mile and plenty of tread left, and that's including four days at the tail of the dragon hooning, plus 4ish hours on track. I would steer away from anything in that realm for DD use though, it's rather :wasteful:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:22 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:19 pm

yea makes sense... mine were 300 a front and 340 per in the rear. And that was with epic :dill: discounting... its about 1.5 more at the :dillerman: rape palace.
Is there even a car less than $100k that comes with cup 2's as original equipment? The only one I can think of is the FoRS and that was an option. It was a good :dill: for them but kinda overkill.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:27 pm I have the 200TW Falkens on the :poorvette: and they are holding up nicely. Over 4,000 mile and plenty of tread left, and that's including four days at the tail of the dragon hooning, plus 4ish hours on track. I would steer away from anything in that realm for DD use though, it's rather :wasteful:
Which ones? Tire Rack only has the FK510 in 235/35 19.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:23 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:27 pm I have the 200TW Falkens on the :poorvette: and they are holding up nicely. Over 4,000 mile and plenty of tread left, and that's including four days at the tail of the dragon hooning, plus 4ish hours on track. I would steer away from anything in that realm for DD use though, it's rather :wasteful:
Which ones? Tire Rack only has the FK510 in 235/35 19.
Azenis RT615K. :scrooge: version of the Bridgestone basically.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:How long do the RE71s last ? 200 rating on the tread wear is :notbad:
Pure street driving, probably 15-25k depending on the car+driver. Less if you're a :burnout: moran or if you track/autox them too... BUT they get really loud by the time they are only half worn.