Das Auto: VW Chat

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:05 am I don’t see a warranty being that much of a purchase consideration. Almost any dealer is offering something to 100k with every purchase. Yea it costs something but we’re talking 2500-3000 tops
If a long warranty is included in the vehicle's price, that's a bit of a selling point to me over needing to spend an additional 10% to get an extended warranty. I can't recall if it is in this thread or [user not found]'s where people were talking about not going crazy with mods just to retain the 6/72 warranty. Personally, I find the warranty a much better selling point than free scheduled maintenance. I'm more concerned with the cost of premature component failures than I am with $40 oil changes and $8 spark plugs.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:05 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:05 am I don’t see a warranty being that much of a purchase consideration. Almost any dealer is offering something to 100k with every purchase. Yea it costs something but we’re talking 2500-3000 tops
If a long warranty is included in the vehicle's price, that's a bit of a selling point to me over needing to spend an additional 10% to get an extended warranty. I can't recall if it is in this thread or [user not found]'s where people were talking about not going crazy with mods just to retain the 6/72 warranty. Personally, I find the warranty a much better selling point than free scheduled maintenance. I'm more concerned with the cost of premature component failures than I am with $40 oil changes and $8 spark plugs.
:disgust: at going to the :dillerman: even for routine oil changes. The whole point is to pad the service centers with work, but I’d pay to not have to visit one. The free scheduled maintenance is worth exactly $0 to me.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

The dealers fleece customers to no end. $40 oil changes ? $8 spark plugs? Oil chages are at least $99, and spark plugs are $400 at the dealer.

:iono: About warranties... They are great and all but for the most part they never pay for themselves. The :math: wizzes at the car companies have this all worked out. You don't get the "value" out of the warranty it's not how any of this works... :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:20 am

The dealers fleece customers to no end. $40 oil changes ? $8 spark plugs? Oil chages are at least $99, and spark plugs are $400 at the dealer.

:iono: About warranties... They are great and all but for the most part they never pay for themselves. The :math: wizzes at the car companies have this all worked out. You don't get the "value" out of the warranty it's not how any of this works... :lol:
I prefer raw doggin' it on older vehicles and just making sure to select things that aren't unreliable shit boxes. I can see where the 6/72 is a nice perk though, certainly doesn't hurt.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:28 am

I prefer raw doggin' it on older vehicles and just making sure to select things that aren't unreliable shit boxes. I can see where the 6/72 is a nice perk though, certainly doesn't hurt.
I don't understanding the following logic...
"I am going to wait until my warranty is up and then I am going to mod, I don't want to void warranty".
So you're going to wait until the manufacturers pre selected infraction point of shit actually failing runs out, and then put more stress etc on the now OLD engine/trans combo to get more power... :fullretard: if you want to mod mod from day 1.
Cars left stock usually don't have issues, things bought new are really reliable at this point...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:32 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:28 am

I don't understanding the following logic...
"I am going to wait until my warranty is up and then I am going to mod, I don't want to void warranty".
So you're going to wait until the manufacturers pre selected infraction point of shit actually failing runs out, and then put more stress etc on the now OLD engine/trans combo to get more power... :fullretard: if you want to mod mod from day 1.
Cars left stock usually don't have issues, things bought new are really reliable at this point...
I've always found it a bit odd myself as well. I would rather just pick it up used and not worry so much, if I want to mod, I'll mod, but try to do it with some level of intelligence.
Huckleberry

Spark plugs aren't made of magic. They are about $8/plug for the expensive versions at any auto store, and 4 cylinder engines are stupid easy to swap plugs on because they are right on top with very little in the way.
I understand that dealers fleece customers, but routine maintenance can be handled in the driveway. I'm not going to look at dealer pricing when calculating the package's value when I can easily do that work on my own. With the monthly oil deals, I'm at about $40 for 6 quarts and a filter, and about $8/spark plug.

The factory warranty is much more valuable to me because it means that if my steering rack fails at 60,000 miles, VW is replacing it at no charge. Which means that I don't have to buy the rack, I don't have to install the rack, bleed the power steering system, dispose of the old rack, and then take the vehicle somewhere for a realignment. Aside from the monetary cost difference, it is the time cost difference of an hour after work for maintenance or starting Friday night and carrying over through Saturday to get the job done.
Huckleberry

coogles wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:14 am

:disgust: at going to the :dillerman: even for routine oil changes. The whole point is to pad the service centers with work, but I’d pay to not have to visit one. The free scheduled maintenance is worth exactly $0 to me.
:dat:
The only value I could see would be cleaning the intake valves on the GDI engines, but that would rely on VW classifying it as a part of the scheduled maintenance.
max225

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:42 am

Spark plugs aren't made of magic. They are about $8/plug for the expensive versions at any auto store, and 4 cylinder engines are stupid easy to swap plugs on because they are right on top with very little in the way.
I understand that dealers fleece customers, but routine maintenance can be handled in the driveway. I'm not going to look at dealer pricing when calculating the package's value when I can easily do that work on my own. With the monthly oil deals, I'm at about $40 for 6 quarts and a filter, and about $8/spark plug.

The factory warranty is much more valuable to me because it means that if my steering rack fails at 60,000 miles, VW is replacing it at no charge. Which means that I don't have to buy the rack, I don't have to install the rack, bleed the power steering system, dispose of the old rack, and then take the vehicle somewhere for a realignment. Aside from the monetary cost difference, it is the time cost difference of an hour after work for maintenance or starting Friday night and carrying over through Saturday to get the job done.
I get all that, I am just saying that repairs most likely won't offset the "cost" of the warranty, which is baked into the price of the vehicle. Most modern vehicles will not experience a major component failure within 60-80k miles. Does it happen? yes, but it is certainly not the norm.
Huckleberry

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:45 am

I get all that, I am just saying that repairs most likely won't offset the "cost" of the warranty, which is baked into the price of the vehicle. Most modern vehicles will not experience a major component failure within 60-80k miles. Does it happen? yes, but it is certainly not the norm.
That's fine if nothing happens. That just tells me the manufacturer has X years/ X,000 miles' worth of faith in their vehicle. I don't wish for the vehicle to be problematic and I need to get my full value out of the warranty. If nothing ever breaks and I don't have to use the warranty, it just means I bought a good car.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:45 am

In reality you are not really buying the warranty, you are buying your time back in the form of reliability. :like:
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Is it that hard to understand why someone would wait util a warranty has expired to modify a car? It's pretty easy to imagine a scenario where someone could easily have the extra $600 for a tune without having or being willing to spend the $10k for nuked motor. Or, for that matter, a random $1,500 expense for a faulty hpfp or water pump or whatever. By the time a warranty has expired a car will typically be paid for and any premature failures that would've been covered by a warranty will have already happened. More free cash flow, and any future repairs would be paid for out of pocket regardless.

Assuming you're not getting the value out of a longer warranty baked into the price of a 2018 or '19 assumes VW is dropping the prices on its 2020 cars, which we know they won't. They're just taking away years 5 & 6 of a potentially valuable warranty to instead help line the dealerships' pockets in the form of service work. It's hardly in the consumers' best interest unless it's the leasing payment shopper, which I'm sure is part of the approach.
max225

coogles wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:30 pm Is it that hard to understand why someone would wait util a warranty has expired to modify a car? It's pretty easy to imagine a scenario where someone could easily have the extra $600 for a tune without having or being willing to spend the $10k for nuked motor. Or, for that matter, a random $1,500 expense for a faulty hpfp or water pump or whatever. By the time a warranty has expired a car will typically be paid for and any premature failures that would've been covered by a warranty will have already happened. More free cash flow, and any future repairs would be paid for out of pocket regardless.

Assuming you're not getting the value out of a longer warranty baked into the price of a 2018 or '19 assumes VW is dropping the prices on its 2020 cars, which we know they won't. They're just taking away years 5 & 6 of a potentially valuable warranty to instead help line the dealerships' pockets in the form of service work. It's hardly in the consumers' best interest unless it's the leasing payment shopper, which I'm sure is part of the approach.
Yes to me it is hard to understand. If you're modding, mod, waiting for a warranty to "expire" makes no sense. Just buy the car used then... for a huge discount or buy the better car so you don't have to MOD. And "random" expenses hit you just as hard whether you're at 35,999 miles or 36,700 miles. (Assuming a 3/36 warranty). If the HPFP bothers you and you think it' fail inside a warranty term, then don't bother modding period, and sell before it expires, if anything modding accelerates wear and tear on components and increases the likelihood of failures.

VW warranty was just a sales pitch, obviously dealers are bitchin because they tack on their useless scotchguard interior protectant in 30% of the sales and warranties took away from their bottom line.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:34 pm Yes to me it is hard to understand. If you're modding, mod, waiting for a warranty to "expire" makes no sense. Just buy the car used then... for a huge discount or buy the better car so you don't have to MOD. And "random" expenses hit you just as hard whether you're at 35,999 miles or 36,700 miles. (Assuming a 3/36 warranty).

VW warranty was just a sales pitch, obviously dealers are bitchin because they tack on their useless scotchguard interior protectant in 30% of the sales and warranties took away from their bottom line.
It's hard to understand because you're totally out of touch with people who have normal budgets outside of the :unicorn: bay area.
max225

coogles wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:37 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:34 pm Yes to me it is hard to understand. If you're modding, mod, waiting for a warranty to "expire" makes no sense. Just buy the car used then... for a huge discount or buy the better car so you don't have to MOD. And "random" expenses hit you just as hard whether you're at 35,999 miles or 36,700 miles. (Assuming a 3/36 warranty).

It's hard to understand because you're totally out of touch with people who have normal budgets outside of the :unicorn: bay area.
Can't afford a HPFP you still can't afford it whether or not your warranty is in place or not. I am well in tune with budgets. I am just pointing out the :ludacris: logic
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:39 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:37 pm

Can't afford a HPFP you still can't afford it whether or not your warranty is in place or not. I am well in tune with budgets. I am just pointing out the :ludacris: logic
:facepalm:

A hpfp would be covered under warranty without a tune, good chance it wouldn't be with one. That's another $1,500 (or whatever) out of pocket on top of the cost of that tune that someone who's financed a vehicle probably isn't as prepared to pay.
Huckleberry

We all have our bubble perspectives. For me, I'm always approaching these things knowing I have a 30x30 garage full of tools and the ability and knowledge to do almost anything. I understand that it is far from a normal scenario for most people to have ample garage space. Others will approach it as someone who has to pay somebody to do anything and everything. For them, they may see value in the maintenance program. For me, I see more value in the warranty because the longer it is, the longer I don't have to spend time diagnosing and fixing the vehicle. Since every vehicle I own now is not under some sort of warranty, it adds a bit of relief taking one vehicle out of the rotation.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

wap wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:35 pm For those Mk4 fans, I ran across this guy on one of my walks yesterday.

In case anyone wondered what a Mk4 loos like with Huff's.

Excuse the shitty pic. I recently broke the glass in front of the lens.

:megusta:Image

Sent from my toaster using Crapatalk
it's actually :notbad: weirdly.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:26 pm
wap wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:35 pm For those Mk4 fans, I ran across this guy on one of my walks yesterday.

In case anyone wondered what a Mk4 loos like with Huff's.

Excuse the shitty pic. I recently broke the glass in front of the lens.

:megusta:Image

Sent from my toaster using Crapatalk
it's actually :notbad: weirdly.
Y'all are odd... that thing is a rust bucket... does look good :doe:
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Guy came in to my sons :dillerman: today with a 3000 original mile Mk4..... literally shut the place down with everyone coming to look at it.....
max225

Irish wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:11 pm Guy came in to my sons :dillerman: today with a 3000 original mile Mk4..... literally shut the place down with everyone coming to look at it.....
Which model ? R32 or 2.slow auto wagon :disgust:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Irish wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:11 pm Guy came in to my sons :dillerman: today with a 3000 original mile Mk4..... literally shut the place down with everyone coming to look at it.....
The amount of crayons I could smell.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:12 pm
'
Just GTI... :manuel: :doe:

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Irish wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:33 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:12 pm

'
Just GTI... :manuel: :doe:

:neat: ! That is dope!
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Dat bubbleyaris is :impressive:

I still kind of want a mk4 with the VR6. Probably better to just get a mkv rabbit with the 2.5 :doe:

I've learned thus far that 2008-10 have the higher hp engine and the shorter ratio gearbox pairing, plus apparently you can swap the 5th gear out for a longer one to get the low highway revs of the 2011+ without losing the shorter low gears. :fullretard: non-turboyaris