Barneys Track Car(MK4 R32).. How do i drive this?

Strut your greasy stuff!
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

So long story long. I grew tired of the Miata. It was a terrible compromise between daily and attempting to build a track car. It was cramped (i'm fat), didn't have storage, AC sucks, not as much fun as I expected. I fell out of love with the car.

So when a car I saw in person years ago while visiting Helen for SoWo came up for sale. The NGP R32 I had to jump on it. I talked with the owner of the car, who is also the owner of New German Performance in Maryland. He provided me any photos and details on the car I could ask for. This was a sight slightly unseen purchase as i'm in Texas and the car was in Maryland.

We made some negotiations on the car, delivery and the title situation since he had never registered it in his name years ago. Went pretty easy, money was exchanged and I attempted to setup shipping. Well i'm cheap when its dumb. And didn't want to pay $1k for a shipper. I had my brother go pick the car up and take it to my moms house. I was heading home in a few months for a visit anyway. I would just drive it back. Then there was a small hiccup. The car was in their trailer backed up to the building, and their semi was in the shop. No biggie, I wasnt getting the car anytime soon. Truck is fixed, trailer moved, car pulled out, then he decided to replace all the brake pads and rotors, every fluid changed and flushed, haldex serviced, and car inspected for me. Not part of the deal, but I wont pass up free maintenance from a reputable shop(thank you Dave).

A few months go by and I head home to see family and bring my car back. 1700 miles in two days, great scenery through the smoky mountains, not a single issue with the car. Although the race brakes are a bit squeaky.

I've put about 2000 miles on the car since I got it. Its been a blast, handles like nothing else, and makes fantastic wookie noises.

Moving forward my plans for the car are street pads, maybe a resonator, AC, and seat time. Oh and a fat boy seat, these sprints are not friendly to my shoulder blades. Now for the photos and build thread I took and stole from NGP.

https://www.ngpracing.com/?page_id=4056

Last edited by Barnes93cb on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

That is awesome dude, congratulations!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Did you invite those guys to DFD?
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

That’s awesome Barnsey!
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Nice. I sometimes miss my mkv, and even considered convincing the wife that we should sell her piece of shit kia soul and find a mkv r32 and then we can autocross and daily that. But she's just gonna rag it out and put the dog in the passenger seat and shit. And just completely ruin the sweet plaid interior.
But another golf might be in the books for the future. They're awesome little cars. I kinda want a wookie.

You can't go wrong with a nice dedicated track car. Less worries about shit. Just trailer it and do your thing. I'm about to be in that boat too. Grats on it. Looks bad ass
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

This thread delivers....awesome car, great story....
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I approve :megusta:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I :wub: the mk4 Golf and Jetta. Hope it's great for you!
Barnes93cb

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:29 pm Did you invite those guys to DFD?
They dont really internets. But I did tell them about it.
Barnes93cb

Acid666 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:05 pm Nice. I sometimes miss my mkv, and even considered convincing the wife that we should sell her piece of shit kia soul and find a mkv r32 and then we can autocross and daily that. But she's just gonna rag it out and put the dog in the passenger seat and shit. And just completely ruin the sweet plaid interior.
But another golf might be in the books for the future. They're awesome little cars. I kinda want a wookie.

You can't go wrong with a nice dedicated track car. Less worries about shit. Just trailer it and do your thing. I'm about to be in that boat too. Grats on it. Looks bad ass
Yeah its pretty great. I registered the car so I can drive it from time to time for work, car shows, cars and coffee, etc. But the miata is still my primary car for now. I need to part it out and buy a truck and trailer eventually.

Plus with it gutted and so much work already done. Im not keen on modifying or making the car OEM+. I just want something I can drive around, thrash on, and enjoy.
Barnes93cb

Thanks guys for the kind words. Ill try to make a few updates as changes are made to the car and I get ready for track days this winter. But no rush at the moment. Life got pretty expensive these last few months and im still recovering from it all.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Good call on waiting for winter to track, those Texas desert hot days wouldn’t be friendly to any vehicle on track.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

baller!
brain go brrrrrr
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Nice. Have fun with it. Keep a tire/brake fund readily available if you are going to track it often.
Barnes93cb

D Griff wrote:Good call on waiting for winter to track, those Texas desert hot days wouldn’t be friendly to any vehicle on track.
It mainly gives me time to recoup money and get more comfortable with the car. I don’t want to go out still learning about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barnes93cb

Big Brain Bradley wrote:baller!
I’m just trying to have some fun. Gotta share it with the group.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Barnes93cb wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:42 am
D Griff wrote:Good call on waiting for winter to track, those Texas desert hot days wouldn’t be friendly to any vehicle on track.
It mainly gives me time to recoup money and get more comfortable with the car. I don’t want to go out still learning about it.

I’d wait til things cool down a tad then just get out on track , you’ll learn more with that than anything else. As I’ve recently gotten into it and learned about track driving, hit me up if you have any questions.
Barnes93cb

D Griff wrote:
Barnes93cb wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:42 am It mainly gives me time to recoup money and get more comfortable with the car. I don’t want to go out still learning about it.

I’d wait til things cool down a tad then just get out on track , you’ll learn more with that than anything else. As I’ve recently gotten into it and learned about track driving, hit me up if you have any questions.
Thanks bud. I’m sure when the time comes to book an event I’ll be hitting the collective minds up.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Great find. Congrats man
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Barnes93cb

Update on the car. Ive got about 2500 miles driving it. This thing is a blast. Its so well sorted and fun. My only complaints are the lack of AC, squeaky brakes, and the small seat. All which can be remedied at some point hopefully soon.

5/7 would purchase again.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:19 am Update on the car. Ive got about 2500 miles driving it. This thing is a blast. Its so well sorted and fun. My only complaints are the lack of AC, squeaky brakes, and the small seat. All which can be remedied at some point hopefully soon.

The brakes squeek because racecar. They stop when they get hot. Stop harder.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:27 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:19 am Update on the car. Ive got about 2500 miles driving it. This thing is a blast. Its so well sorted and fun. My only complaints are the lack of AC, squeaky brakes, and the small seat. All which can be remedied at some point hopefully soon.

Good advice is good.

I used to brake super late in my 944 because of the race brakes...braking hard kept them quiet.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Barnes93cb

Big Brain Bradley wrote:

You’re not wrong. I’m not mad. But it’s rude when you’re creeping at 5mph and someone is taking your I’d at a gate.

Barnes93cb

Welp my car luck is striking again.

Miata coolant leak is back. Need to get under the car and check for hoses or radiator leaks. Hopefully it’s not the water pump. But I do have replacement hoses and a new water pump.

So I decided to take the vw out for a drive instead. Now I have a flat and an extremely audible air leak. Sunday holiday in Texas means everything is closed today. And I’m not sure I trust firestone with my wheels anyway.

And a cel popped up too. P2181 which appears to be a coolant temp fault. After researching it appears I’m looking at either a coolant temp sensor or thermostat. Guess I’ll be ordering a CTS first because it’s cheaper and easier maintenance and go from there. Neither will be too much fun on the vw. But it’s gotta be done. I’ll call new German tomorrow when they open and order the CTS and brake pads for the vw.