Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Apex wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:22 am :mahtroy:

I might get a :scrooge: C5 even though I'd prefer a C6Z51... or keep buying nothing.
Bolded is what will happen.
:dat:

Everything that's fun and not a tiny shitbox is too expensive, especially with no garage to do my own work.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:45 am
Apex wrote:

Everything that's fun and not a tiny shitbox is too expensive, especially with no garage to do my own work.
Miata is the answer :stig:
troyguitar

Purpc5z wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:02 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:45 am :dat:

Miata is the answer :stig:
I like NB's but they're too small and loud inside even with a hardtop. I pretty much want a C5 with clear targa or an S197 rustang with the :unicorn: glass roof option.

Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:45 am
Apex wrote:

I'm fortunate to have a garage, which is why I just buy shells and drop in my own powerplants.

Deals can be had, but it really requires browsing every goddamn site/forum with cars for sale to find one. If I were looking for a C6 deal, I'd look at the 06/07 versions. The LS2 is still a solid performer, but since everyone pines for the LS3 cars, the early ones got branded as the redheaded stepchild and their prices reflect that. I'd stay away from the 05 C6s, though. They are known to have electrical issues and sport a C5 steering wheel.
troyguitar

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:23 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:45 am :dat:

I'm fortunate to have a garage, which is why I just buy shells and drop in my own powerplants.

Deals can be had, but it really requires browsing every goddamn site/forum with cars for sale to find one. If I were looking for a C6 deal, I'd look at the 06/07 versions. The LS2 is still a solid performer, but since everyone pines for the LS3 cars, the early ones got branded as the redheaded stepchild and their prices reflect that. I'd stay away from the 05 C6s, though. They are known to have electrical issues and sport a C5 steering wheel.
You care about a lot less stuff than I do too. I'd want a good (read: not black/silver/red) exterior color, a not-black interior, the 2008+ updated steering rack, the 2009+ Bosch ABS unit, and the Z51 gearbox+suspension. Ideally 09-13 Z51 coupe in Jet stream blue w/ gray interior. Otherwise it's a compromise and I might as well keep not buying anything, because any compromise is going to end up right back in :plac: territory.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I'll sell you my car next year for 10k

Maybe
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:31 am I actually kinda want Griff's seats to keep the interior cooler in the summer.
They're in great shape... not for sale at the moment because I only got one seat for now, in a few months I'll decide if I want to pick up a passenger seat of some kind or not, at which point I'd likely sell them.

I've always been a bit hesitant to off the 50AE specific things but the car is pretty much worthless so I guess it doesn't matter. If I ever sell it, it would probably just be to a trackday bro who doesn't want to blow $1K on his own Sparco seat.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:55 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:31 am I actually kinda want Griff's seats to keep the interior cooler in the summer.
They're in great shape... not for sale at the moment because I only got one seat for now, in a few months I'll decide if I want to pick up a passenger seat of some kind or not, at which point I'd likely sell them.

I've always been a bit hesitant to off the 50AE specific things but the car is pretty much worthless so I guess it doesn't matter. If I ever sell it, it would probably just be to a trackday bro who doesn't want to blow $1K on his own Sparco seat.
Understood. I don't think I'd mind the color, but damn it's hard to find these seats in decent shape within a 12hr drive of me. My driver's seat kinda needs work anyways so I'd rather just try to upgrade to the sport seats. Might be driving the car down to Raleigh in Oct for my friend's 30th
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:16 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:55 pm

Understood. I don't think I'd mind the color, but damn it's hard to find these seats in decent shape within a 12hr drive of me. My driver's seat kinda needs work anyways so I'd rather just try to upgrade to the sport seats. Might be driving the car down to Raleigh in Oct for my friend's 30th
:word: let me know, you will get right of first refusal. I will have a decision by then. Right now I'm leaning towards throwing a Sparco R100 on the passenger side so they at least look similar/same color but I don't think :tits: would enjoy the full on racing seat. Plus different friends ride in it, so a bit of adjustment would be nice.
troyguitar

Does the R100 fit? That would be :notbad:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:30 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:16 pm

:word: let me know, you will get right of first refusal. I will have a decision by then. Right now I'm leaning towards throwing a Sparco R100 on the passenger side so they at least look similar/same color but I don't think :tits: would enjoy the full on racing seat. Plus different friends ride in it, so a bit of adjustment would be nice.
Cool beans. I'm sure they are just plug and play
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:34 pm Does the R100 fit? That would be :notbad:
Yeah there's a write up on the 'vette forums of a guy who did it... I was interested for the driver's side but nothing in the reclinables has enough head room for me :sad:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Those R100's look :neat:
Would be a good option for street/trackdaybro uses I think.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:56 am I should just fucking buy a C6

$25k lumbar support fml

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
This is a better option than my seats. I would enjoy a C6 as a one car solution. We have had so few on the forum too, would be nice to see. Only :waxer: and Desert have had them and Breh doesn't drive his. Oh and the Cannuck C5++, which was :nice:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:48 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:56 am I should just fucking buy a C6

$25k lumbar support fml

This is a better option than my seats. I would enjoy a C6 as a one car solution. We have had so few on the forum too, would be nice to see. Only :waxer: and Desert have had them and Breh doesn't drive his. Oh and the Cannuck C5++, which was :nice:
I couldn't have one as an only car up here but if I move to NC next year and prices get to the low 20's I might have to make a move. Mortgage + car payment as single income RIP
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:05 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:48 pm

I couldn't have one as an only car up here but if I move to NC next year and prices get to the low 20's I might have to make a move. Mortgage + car payment as single income RIP
If you want dual income, most gals down here are lookin' to get wifed up, this ain't NYC (I imagine Western New York gals also want to be wifed :doe: ).
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

They can wait I want a C6 first
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:10 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:05 pm
If you want dual income, most gals down here are lookin' to get wifed up, this ain't NYC (I imagine Western New York gals also want to be wifed :doe: ).
WNY girls also want to be NYC girls, and half already have kids.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Dat Corvette wheel gapImage

troyguitar

CaleDeRoo wrote:Dat Corvette wheel gapImage

#overlanding
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:11 pm Dat Corvette wheel gapImage

Needs camo wrap on select body panels. And a Carolina squat lift/drop kit
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

What's your fav spice mix for the Cowboy stew you likely made in that scenic overlanding location.
Also did you AIR DOWN to 10psi? Hope you had an onboard compressor system.
Cheers and god bless.

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:57 pm

What's your fav spice mix for the Cowboy stew you likely made in that scenic overlanding location.
Also did you AIR DOWN to 10psi? Hope you had an onboard compressor system.
Cheers and god bless.

I aired down to 0psi. Run flats ftw. Favorite spice mix is Dinosaur BBQ Cajun Foreplay BY FAR. Well that mixed with my dehydrated habanero powder.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So... any thoughts from the :poorvette: crew on brake rotors? My plan was :scrooge: Advance rotors with free replacement for three years, and well, I've cracked another one. On the one hand, I can just get a new unit free, on the other, it's kind of a waste of time dealing with cracked ones and I risk losing out on track time. Anything better that isn't total :waxer:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:25 pm So... any thoughts from the :poorvette: crew on brake rotors? My plan was :scrooge: Advance rotors with free replacement for three years, and well, I've cracked another one. On the one hand, I can just get a new unit free, on the other, it's kind of a waste of time dealing with cracked ones and I risk losing out on track time. Anything better that isn't total :waxer:
DBA rotors from my buddy at knsbrakes.com
He’s in NC now, but I helped him get started when he was running the biz out of his basement in NJ.

Edit: he tracks a C5Z and spec E30 too, so he will have some good feedback for ya