Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:55 am
max225 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:29 am

Yup, I got promoted in November, Just saw the money and title now... as of today. I dunno i have different view from anyone else.
Yes we’re lucky to have jobs and make money. Everyone is replaceable.

When markets are good vote with your body, leave Corp and go somewhere else, when they are bad you’re going to have to suck some dick get hit in the face and say thank you sir may I have another if you want a job.

I have done it all. We’re all slaves to the system.
No, I agree. I guess I wasn't really clear about the lucky to have a job thing.

We are all very lucky to be working and successful. There is no doubt about that. What I meant was that my management has never said that to me directly. I have had the discussion with my boss over the last 23+ years, sure and we've talked about how decisions we made worked out very well for us and the team. But, he's never told me to suck it up and be glad I have a job. I guess partly because I've never put him or myself in a position where that needs to be said.
I guess you haven't worked in a company where shit is hitting the fan. All kinds of things start happening at that point. Whether it is something you did wrong is irrelevant, you will get the blame. :disgust:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:21 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:09 pm

Plenty of companies would allow that. The idea came from a few of my friends that did just that. They worked in finance and insurance type jobs though. Oil & energy is just too regressive when it comes to the workplace in general.
I can tell you I have never held a job where this would be considered ok. So you have another data point.
I have quite a few co-workers who will take 3-4 weeks off at a time, usually to travel overseas and visit family.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:09 pm

Plenty of companies would allow that. The idea came from a few of my friends that did just that. They worked in finance and insurance type jobs though. Oil & energy is just too regressive when it comes to the workplace in general.
I can tell you I have never held a job where this would be considered ok. So you have another data point.
#metoo

I mean, my current company has a great PTO policy, I have 20 days per year... I could likely take two weeks off together I guess, but if I asked to take a 3-4 month sebatical, they would just say you can quit if you want I think.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:48 pm

#metoo

I mean, my current company has a great PTO policy, I have 20 days per year... I could likely take two weeks off together I guess, but if I asked to take a 3-4 month sebatical, they would just say you can quit if you want I think.
What I’m getting at is, sabbatical or not, I’d like to work for a company that values its employees and at least pretends to give a damn. I’m tired of working in buildings with mold growing in between the window panes, a parking lot full of nails that guarantee you 2-3 flat tires a year, and a basement that floods so often they recommend you put your desk up on blocks and don’t keep anything of value including your work boots on the floor.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:56 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:48 pm

#metoo

What I’m getting at is, sabbatical or not, I’d like to work for a company that values its employees and at least pretends to give a damn. I’m tired of working in buildings with mold growing in between the window panes, a parking lot full of nails that guarantee you 2-3 flat tires a year, and a basement that floods so often they recommend you put your desk up on blocks and don’t keep anything of value including your work boots on the floor.
:word:

Your situation was definitely :bs: in many ways. There are good companies out there. Bang Bus job was awesome and I loved doing that for five years. My current company is also awesome. I don't love my specific role, but they value me and others, give good time off, pay fairly, etc.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

How did the interview process end up at the start up?
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:04 pm How did the interview process end up at the start up?
I have a jerb offer. Debating what to do with it.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:05 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:04 pm How did the interview process end up at the start up?
Why not take it ?
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:15 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:05 pm

Why not take it ?
No real reason not to and I could just keep looking in the meantime I suppose.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:16 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:15 pm

Why not take it ?
It would be hard for it to suck more than the last place...
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:16 pm

Office can’t be worse as they don’t have one. :notbad:
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:18 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:17 pm

So, you get to work from home with puppy cuddles all day?
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:21 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:18 pm

So, you get to work from home with puppy cuddles all day?
I have nowhere at home to set up an “office” and I’ll go nuts if it’s 100% from home. I think I’d get a membership at a coworking space.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:22 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:55 am

No, I agree. I guess I wasn't really clear about the lucky to have a job thing.

We are all very lucky to be working and successful. There is no doubt about that. What I meant was that my management has never said that to me directly. I have had the discussion with my boss over the last 23+ years, sure and we've talked about how decisions we made worked out very well for us and the team. But, he's never told me to suck it up and be glad I have a job. I guess partly because I've never put him or myself in a position where that needs to be said.
I guess you haven't worked in a company where shit is hitting the fan. All kinds of things start happening at that point. Whether it is something you did wrong is irrelevant, you will get the blame. :disgust:
No, I have. And I've done the new startup to failing startup thing... but nobody ever told me I was lucky to have a job because in reality those companies needed me and my team a lot more than we needed them. If I took my team with me it would be devastating. I have taken my core team to more than 6 companies since 1997, and on two occasions the companies folded not long after because of it.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:02 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:22 pm
No, I have. And I've done the new startup to failing startup thing... but nobody ever told me I was lucky to have a job because in reality those companies needed me and my team a lot more than we needed them. If I took my team with me it would be devastating. I have taken my core team to more than 6 companies since 1997, and on two occasions the companies folded not long after because of it.
I see well blame game is fucking amazing at the E level. No idea how you got away from that, even if you’re the last hamster in the cage keeping the light on you still get the blame
Johnny_P

Took the new jerb.

Commute there is over heavy traffic highway that is under construction (I-95) or NJ "highways" that are stop light infested 45 MPH roads with driveways and divided sides and horrible road conditions. 80% of the roads are completely trashed. The ones that aren't trashed are low speed and/or congested highway. There is no fun to be had on this commute.

I think a Wrongler actually checks a lot of boxes. A little more bulky than I'd want but manageable. Annoyed at the pricing on a new Rav4 and that it has a shit stereo still. Forester would be solid if it had a motor. Maybe an Outback XT but kind of long/large for the city. I do see them around though.

Wild card is a used Benzo GLC300 or something like that. They're surprisingly affordable used. But German bs stuff... I'm liking my Japanese car.

Poverty play is a 4th gen 4Runner or an Xterra.
Decisions.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:13 pm Took the new jerb.

Commute there is over heavy traffic highway that is under construction (I-95) or NJ "highways" that are stop light infested 45 MPH roads with driveways and divided sides and horrible road conditions. 80% of the roads are completely trashed. The ones that aren't trashed are low speed and/or congested highway. There is no fun to be had on this commute.

I think a Wrongler actually checks a lot of boxes. A little more bulky than I'd want but manageable. Annoyed at the pricing on a new Rav4 and that it has a shit stereo still. Forester would be solid if it had a motor. Maybe an Outback XT but kind of long/large for the city. I do see them around though.
I saw a new Forester the other day rolling on some oversized AT tires. Looked rather :notbad:
Apex

I also would get behind a 4th gen 4runner. Those are cool IMO.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:22 pm

I saw a new Forester the other day rolling on some oversized AT tires. Looked rather :notbad:
I mean, they're frumpy on the outside but check a lot of boxes in what I'm looking for. Too slow though, I don't think I'd like the lazy acceleration if I didn't like the CX5, which is quite a bit quicker on paper at least.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:23 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:22 pm

I mean, they're frumpy on the outside but check a lot of boxes in what I'm looking for. Too slow though, I don't think I'd like the lazy acceleration if I didn't like the CX5, which is quite a bit quicker on paper at least.
A T4R would probably be my front-runner if I were in your shoes.
Have you driven a 4th gen recently?
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:35 pm
The 5 cyl was OK, but nothing more. A strange engine overall.

The margin on a 6.2 Colorado was way higher than a Silverado. It didn't cost much more than the other engines, yet you can charge a bigger premium for it. Plus I bundled it with other high margin shit that was all profit. It was the organization machine that prevented it from happening for reasons I still don't understand entirely. Chevy brand was 100% on board. When I pitched it to the VP in charge of Chevy, he said he'd "buy that yesterday" and "dealers would lose their minds over it".

Oh well.
BUT THINK OF THE BEANS.

:triggered:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Wild card is a used Benzo GLC300 or something like that. They're surprisingly affordable used. But German bs stuff... I'm liking my Japanese car.

Poverty play is a 4th gen 4Runner or an Xterra.
Decisions.
Congrats dude, I like Jeeps. If the roads were that bad I would own one.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:25 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:23 pm

No I haven’t. I should check one of them out along with an Xterra.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:38 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:25 pm

No I haven’t. I should check one of them out along with an Xterra.
:dat:

I prefer the T4R interior over the X, but both are worth a drive.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:jeep: :jeep: :jeep: :jeep: :jeep: :jeep: :jeep: :jeep: :jeep: :jeep: :jeep: :jeep: :jeep: