2009 Trek X-Caliber 29er - Size 19.5"

Wheel and deal your goods to the populace of DFD.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

:sad: but this needs to happen if I'm going to actually buy a new damn bike...

I want to start this out by saying this bike has been an incredibly fun rig for the last 10 years. It's a rad bike that pedals well, rides very nicely, and will take a hefty beating and keep coming back for more.

If you look up a 2009 Trek X-Caliber you'll see it's a red Gary Fisher! I bought it when 29ers were brand new on the market and this was the hot shit from Gary Fisher. A few years later, GF was rolled into Trek bikes, and here we are. The OG frame cracked, and was warrantied by Trek (amazing company btw) to a 2012 model frame. This is a good thing, it looks a hell of a lot better in black/blue than it did in red.

The bike only has a few stock components on it. The crank, bottom bracket, headset, and fork. Everything else has been changed from stock and rebuilt a year ago with $400 of new parts. So here's what is on it:

Frame: 2012 Trek X-Caliber 29er aluminum, size 19.5", no plastic fantastic to be found here
Fork: 2009 model Fox Float F29. 80mm travel, spacer removed for "100 mm" travel, it usually bottoms around 88-90mm. This is a non-tapered fork.
Bars: Renthal Fatbar lite, 740mm wide for extra fun
Stem: Azonic Predator 50mm choad
Grips: ODI Rogue bolt-on
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite gel
Seatpost: Who knows, Bontrager something or another that I sticker bombed
Brakes: Shimano SLX, 180mm front 160mm rear 6-bolt rotors, awesome stopping power
Shifter: rear only, it's a 1x... Shimano SLX M7000 11-speed
Derailleur: Shimano SLX M7000 clutched
Chain: Shimano XT
Cassette: Shimano SLX M7000 11-46t pizza pie plate bail out gear special
Crank: Stock off-group Shimano hollowtech something or another, IDK, replacing it would save some weight. I polished all the anodizing off it because it was some horrible gray-purple color. It looks alright.
Chainring: RaceFace 30t
BB: Threaded!!!!!!!!!!! NO CREAKING HOLY SHIT YUSS
Wheels: Mavic XC429 tubeless hookless rims, Sram X9 hubs
Tires: newer Schwalbe nobby nic. Tubeless set up.

Pedals and bell not included. Or they could be. Whatever.

Weight? Uh. 26 lbs? Does it matter? Does anyone care about weight anymore?

Is it beat to shit? A little. Chain slap on the drive side chainstay is real. Might want to watch that. Rest of bike is good to rip though. Fork is v smooth, has been serviced a few times in its life at the LBS, last time was 2 years ago and I don't ride this a hell of a lot. Parts are newer so they all work fine. Amazingly nothing is broken on it currently.

Is it gram worthy? Likely.

Can I rip on it? This bike is pretty fast with the right rider. It's an XC bike though, so it'll do best on packed singletrack. I've ridden it in Nockamixon, White Clay, Wissahickon, Belmont, whatever it's all awesome and totally rad on this bike. A longer fork would be nice but it's rideable as is. It's rather whippy to ride, chainstays are shortish, 29er wheels are fast, and the shorter stem REALLY sped up the handling. It's a little twitchy now actually. Add a dropper post to it and go hog wild. Do it. Please.

Can it climb? No rear suspension, lower travel front, yes this will climb. With the 1x drivetrain I took a lot of time to figure out the best gear ratios and honestly it's perfect. 30t x 46t will get you up everything around here, any lower and you wouldn't be able to keep the front on the ground.

Can I take it off sweet jumps? The world is your oyster. I take the jump line all the time.

Will I fit on it? I'm 6'2". The 19.5" size should accommodate someone 5'10" to 6'2". If you're taller than me, it's no bueno really.

Can I try it out? If you're in the area come grab it and rip on it for a week, be my guest. I need to know you though, no "but this is my friend's dog's day care partner's mom's best friend, he's a good dude."

Price? Open to discussions. PRICE SLASHED TO $400!!

Let's trade?! Let's not.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny_P

No the haterade bottles are not coming with it get your own.

This could be you.

Buy it and whip this guys ass. Who this is?

Someone force me into a new bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

5/7 post will read again
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:00 pm:datass:
:dat:
Johnny_P

Nobody wants to get brappy? Here, I'll sweeten the deal. If you want it, I'll wash it FOR FREE before you pick it up.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:36 pm Nobody wants to get brappy? Here, I'll sweeten the deal. If you want it, I'll leave it out in the rain before you pick it up.
:jesus:
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:53 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:36 pm Nobody wants to get brappy? Here, I'll sweeten the deal. If you want it, I'll leave it out in the rain before you pick it up.
It's aluminum, bring it broham
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:53 pm
better than pissing on it and telling you it's rain...
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:32 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:44 pm

better than pissing on it and telling you it's rain...
Who are you, Putin?
:impressive:
Johnny_P

$475 friends price
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I would take it if I could. 475 for a Trek in good shape with lots of upgrades sounds solid. :(
Johnny_P

4 hundo

Make me buy that Pivot, guys.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:53 pm 4 hundo

I had already bought my XC before you decided to sell this pile of mess.

Thats a fair price sir. :fancy:

Do you even have it on FB market place?
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I thought about buying this but :jalepenis:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:04 pm I thought about buying this but :jalepenis:
yeah, you are prolly more a 17.5-18" guy. Trek does their frame size a bit differently though. Try out a new one at a local shop. You arent that :jalepenis:

edit, mine is a 17.5" with 29" wheels. You def want a 17.5" in the trek.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Yep. Me riding this in the woods would be an episide of Ow, My Balls!
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:02 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:53 pm 4 hundo

I had already bought my XC before you decided to sell this pile of mess.

Thats a fair price sir. :fancy:

Do you even have it on FB market place?
I do not. I have the roadie on crangslist but it's all $500 offers and then ghosting. Same with the google groups I have the roadie listed on, no bites.

I think this would go quick at a list of $500.
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:06 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:04 pm I thought about buying this but :jalepenis:
yeah, you are prolly more a 17.5-18" guy. Trek does their frame size a bit differently though. Try out a new one at a local shop. You arent that :jalepenis:

edit, mine is a 17.5" with 29" wheels. You def want a 17.5" in the trek.
Yeah this is a "large" in most brands. Its not a huge bike though, feels a little small to me. I think they list 6'1" as the upper end of the sizing.
Johnny_P

Offer is still open to local people, come pick it up and shred for a week. Bring your own pedals.
Johnny_P

Holy fuck I still have this thing. Anyone want it? Covid bike shortages are over so this thing is worth nothing, lowball offers considered. Haha
SAWCE

I should have bought this when I was in SD to cruise around on.
SAWCE

Johnny, you still sitting on this? Is it too small for me? Just under 6’2” with ~35” inseam, 230-250lbs.. would mostly be used for commuting my 7.5 miles to/from gym. I think you shipped a bike to Desert before, what do shipping options and costs look like?

Guys who bike, is 7.5 miles a reasonable commute? I know you all like to get out on much longer rides, but I’d be looking for this to be a chill pace so I have plenty of energy in gym. Would that suck or be perfectly doable in decent weather?
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:55 am Johnny, you still sitting on this? Is it too small for me? Just under 6’2” with ~35” inseam, 230-250lbs.. would mostly be used for commuting my 7.5 miles to/from gym. I think you shipped a bike to Desert before, what do shipping options and costs look like?

Guys who bike, is 7.5 miles a reasonable commute? I know you all like to get out on much longer rides, but I’d be looking for this to be a chill pace so I have plenty of energy in gym. Would that suck or be perfectly doable in decent weather?
I still have it. Last bike I shipped was about $100, might be a bit more now due to Covid price increases. You might be better off getting a local bike for a gym beater.

Size may work, I’m about that tall as well. I have a shorter inseam though.

7.5 miles each way isn’t too far but you’re looking at 30-40 mins. If you’re all on paved trails or roads, a hybrid style bike or a road bike would be a much better pick. Like a Trek FX, Specialized Sirrus, etc.
SAWCE

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:21 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:55 am Johnny, you still sitting on this? Is it too small for me? Just under 6’2” with ~35” inseam, 230-250lbs.. would mostly be used for commuting my 7.5 miles to/from gym. I think you shipped a bike to Desert before, what do shipping options and costs look like?

I still have it. Last bike I shipped was about $100, might be a bit more now due to Covid price increases. You might be better off getting a local bike for a gym beater.

7.5 miles each way isn’t too far but you’re looking at 30-40 mins. If you’re all on paved trails or roads, a hybrid style bike or a road bike would be a much better pick. Like a Trek FX, Specialized Sirrus, etc.
Right on, thanks for the info! I’ll see what used options for bikes like those are out here.

We have some dirt/gravel trails right by my place that would be fun to ride, so if I were to swing this it looks like from your pics it would pull double duty and handle them well.. guess those are more what this bike is suited for than just pounding miles on the road, yeah?
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:41 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:21 am

Right on, thanks for the info! I’ll see what used options for bikes like those are out here.

We have some dirt/gravel trails right by my place that would be fun to ride, so if I were to swing this it looks like from your pics it would pull double duty and handle them well.. guess those are more what this bike is suited for than just pounding miles on the road, yeah?
Yeah this is pretty capable on cross country style bike trails. It won’t do well if there are jumps or big gnarly downhills and drop offs. But dirt trails yes. It’s very slow riding on the road and rides harsh on pavement due to the frame stiffness.