Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:15 am
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:58 am

you're at about a 30-40% margin on a bike right now.
Ballz, if I could get the $1050 MSRP thing locally for $800 cash I'd probably do that over buying online. They didn't give the impression that there was any room for negotiation but I haven't seriously tried either. :notsure:
Might be worth chatting them up for a package :dill: with stuff like lights, helmet, water bottles, etc.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:03 am
Apex wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:57 am Halters is a trade-in shop with BicycleBlueBook... :plac:
Wifey's $1470MSRP bike was valued at $480, which is why I'm offering it to you guys first...
:word:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:15 am

Ballz, if I could get the $1050 MSRP thing locally for $800 cash I'd probably do that over buying online. They didn't give the impression that there was any room for negotiation but I haven't seriously tried either. :notsure:
Might be worth chatting them up for a package :dill: with stuff like lights, helmet, water bottles, etc.
Yep. Go ride something and if you like it, throw out some cash offers and see if they bite.

$1k bike for $1k cash all-in including tax, helmet (~$100), lights (~$50), water bottles and cages (~$50), pedals (~$50) would be a great deal...and one the bike shop would likely make since the accessories have the highest margins.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:45 am
Apex wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33 am

Yep. Go ride something and if you like it, throw out some cash offers and see if they bite.

$1k bike for $1k cash all-in including tax, helmet (~$100), lights (~$50), water bottles and cages (~$50), pedals (~$50) would be a great deal...and one the bike shop would likely make since the accessories have the highest margins.
Meh, I have half that stuff and Amazon has the rest cheap. I finally decided to quit fucking around trying to figure out the absolute best thing and just buy something - winter is coming. The extra push happened when I noticed that Bike Island didn't actually charge me tax despite their FAQ saying that in NY they do. $499.95 total, shipped, done. Black 55cm with all decent shit on it. This is probably what I should have done a week ago vs fucking around with the Schwinn. :troywax:

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:20 pm

Meh, I have half that stuff and Amazon has the rest cheap. I finally decided to quit fucking around trying to figure out the absolute best thing and just buy something - winter is coming. The extra push happened when I noticed that Bike Island didn't actually charge me tax despite their FAQ saying that in NY they do. $499.95 total, shipped, done. Black 55cm with all decent shit on it. This is probably what I should have done a week ago vs fucking around with the Schwinn. :troywax:

Nice!

:popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:20 pm

Solid... honestly not a bad thing there. Get out and ride it, figure out if you even like this stupid sport and if you do you can make bike #2 the :boxodicks: purchase after you figure out what you need/want to do with it.
Apex

:nice:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

:notbad: :waxer:
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:04 pm :notbad: :waxer:
:dat:

A $50 huffy would probably have been fine. YOLO
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Sounds smart to try something cheap-ish, that'll likely serve well. I should've tried more things out. Checked out my buddy's new Giant 27.5er Saturday when we were out riding and I definitely felt more confident on that thing than my Whorbea... flip side though, it's a way slower bike with short gearing and smaller wheels. I should just start following when the local places do demo days at the trails to try stuff out, although I'll probably just keep the Whorbea for a decade.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:03 am
Apex wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:57 am Halters is a trade-in shop with BicycleBlueBook... :plac:
Wifey's $1470MSRP bike was valued at $480, which is why I'm offering it to you guys first...
In4pics/size. I would love to get the fiancee a bike, might be able to figure out a way to pick it up. I don't think she'll really hit trails though so it's likely overkill.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:54 pm Sounds smart to try something cheap-ish, that'll likely serve well. I should've tried more things out. Checked out my buddy's new Giant 27.5er Saturday when we were out riding and I definitely felt more confident on that thing than my Whorbea... flip side though, it's a way slower bike with short gearing and smaller wheels. I should just start following when the local places do demo days at the trails to try stuff out, although I'll probably just keep the Whorbea for a decade.
What wheels are on your orbea? Make / brand / model etc. Or hubs and rims.

Also what tires and size
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:19 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:54 pm Sounds smart to try something cheap-ish, that'll likely serve well. I should've tried more things out. Checked out my buddy's new Giant 27.5er Saturday when we were out riding and I definitely felt more confident on that thing than my Whorbea... flip side though, it's a way slower bike with short gearing and smaller wheels. I should just start following when the local places do demo days at the trails to try stuff out, although I'll probably just keep the Whorbea for a decade.

Also what tires and size
No idea, I'll check on Wednesday when I ride it. It's 29" wheels with Maxxis tars, that's all I know off hand.

That was kinda why I got it in the first place though, there are so many parts/things on a bicycle and I didn't want to spend tens of hours of time trying to learn about it, would rather just be riding it :aintcare: I had a bunch of very knowledgeable people here I trust so when the Orbea was suggested and highly acclaimed, I just went with it.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:25 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:19 pm

Also what tires and size
No idea, I'll check on Wednesday when I ride it. It's 29" wheels with Maxxis tars, that's all I know off hand.

That was kinda why I got it in the first place though, there are so many parts/things on a bicycle and I didn't want to spend tens of hours of time trying to learn about it, would rather just be riding it :aintcare: I had a bunch of very knowledgeable people here I trust so when the Orbea was suggested and highly acclaimed, I just went with it.
What is it you don't love about the bike?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:30 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:25 pm

Hard to explain because I don't know anything about bikes... and I do like it, just on the Giant, I felt a lot less top heavy (which is odd because I think the geometry was actually a more upright seating position). The Orbea also creaks and groans a ton, but I don't care about that too much.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:34 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:30 pm

Hard to explain because I don't know anything about bikes... and I do like it, just on the Giant, I felt a lot less top heavy (which is odd because I think the geometry was actually a more upright seating position). The Orbea also creaks and groans a ton, but I don't care about that too much.
29ers are usually a little less maneuverable due to the larger wheels and tires. You can make it more responsive by getting lighter wheels and tires, or converting to tubeless which reduces rotational weight by quite a bit.

You can also speed up or slow down the steering by changing stem length. Shorter stems are faster steering, longer are more stable.

For creaking check the saddle bolt is tight. Could also be a dirty seat post. Actually could be a lot of things haha creaks are the worst.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I’ve done all that, also two different shops have worked on it, I mentioned the creak and it’s still there. Soles from the front (stem area). I’m pretty much :aintcare: about it really.

Probably just being up high on the big wheels makes it feel less stable, but it sure is nice being able to roll over all the roots.

Overall still really enjoying it and it seems to be pretty robust.
troyguitar

My :scrooge: bike is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, should be interesting. What are you guys carrying for tools/spares/bottles/etc? I only have a helmet.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:11 pm My :scrooge: bike is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, should be interesting. What are you guys carrying for tools/spares/bottles/etc? I only have a helmet.
2 water bottles
Credit card for beers or iced coffees
Phone
House keys
A mini pump
And a Speedsleev Ranger saddle bag filled with 2 tire levers, spare tube, multi tool with a chain breaker, and a patch kit.

I’d say starting out just make sure you have water, phone, and some form of currency. Air your tires up at home before each ride. If you’re going far away from civilization then add the tube and mini pump and such. The Nanos should be pretty flat resistant but glass can still get the best of them. They get more flat prone when they’re older.

Just go shred, man :fuckyeah:
Johnny_P

On Sunday my friends and I hosted a cyclocross and gravel Gritty City ride. When we rolled up to Lisa’s cafe (starting point) we counted 16 riders. Not bad for a 100 degree day with a heat index over 110. That quickly ballooned to 35 riders!!!

I think we did about 25 miles before calling it quits and heading to a brewery.

I stashed a mid ride beer garden stop under a highway. It was fucking awesome. The whole day was fucking awesome and so much fun.

Johnny_P

Should I get a carbon fiber fork for my all city and paint it to match and then send it off to my friend Brian for some artwork?

Seriously debating this. Could go thru axle front this way. I think.

I think it would be 400 ish.

Here’s some of his artwork on a white helmet. Think white marker on a red background.

Last edited by Johnny_P on Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:01 pm Should I get a carbon fiber fork for my all city and paint it to match and then send it off to my friend Brian for some artwork?

Do you need new ramz at that point too?
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:55 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:11 pm My :scrooge: bike is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, should be interesting. What are you guys carrying for tools/spares/bottles/etc? I only have a helmet.
2 water bottles
Phone
House keys
A mini pump
And a Speedsleev Ranger saddle bag filled with 2 tire levers, spare tube, multi tool with a chain breaker, and a patch kit.

I’d say starting out just make sure you have water, phone, and some form of currency. Air your tires up at home before each ride. If you’re going far away from civilization then add the tube and mini pump and such. The Nanos should be pretty flat resistant but glass can still get the best of them. They get more flat prone when they’re older.

Got any specific links for tools or pumps? I don't have anyone I can call to pick me up besides maybe signing up for uber (dunno if that even exists out here), might be better to just be prepared now.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:02 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:01 pm Should I get a carbon fiber fork for my all city and paint it to match and then send it off to my friend Brian for some artwork?

Do you need new ramz at that point too?
I’d need a new road front wheel. The dirt wheels have convertible front hubs for the different axle.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:14 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:55 pm

2 water bottles
Phone
House keys
A mini pump

Got any specific links for tools or pumps? I don't have anyone I can call to pick me up besides maybe signing up for uber (dunno if that even exists out here), might be better to just be prepared now.
Any saddle bag will work. I like my Speedsleev but up to you.
2 tire levers get them anywhere. The blue park tool ones and the Pedro’s ones are both really durable.
Pump is whatever they all suck but they all work. People seem to like Lezyne pumps around me. Mine is a metal Portland design works one. It sucks just like all of them.
Tool. Ah. Mine is a Topeak Mini 18. It’s heavy and starting to rust now that it’s 6 years old. But it has a chain break. And it was cheap as shit. You’d really just need one with Allen keys they do 90% of bike shit.