Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I really like Giant bikes...they tend to provide exceptional value for "name brand" bikes.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:Troy:

Rochester has some stuff.
https://www.tomsprobike.com/articles/bi ... pg1406.htm
$60/day for a full suspension bike. $30/ additional day.

https://www.tryonbike.com/products/demos-rentals
$50/day to rent, $75/day to demo something expensive, demo fees up to $150 deducted from a new bike purchase
:word:

Will look at those later. I'd only gone as far as Ithaca/Geneva.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:14 pm I really like Giant bikes...they tend to provide exceptional value for "name brand" bikes.
:dat:

Just don't ask Handzer, he gets all :triggered: at the thought of Giant.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:14 pm I really like Giant bikes...they tend to provide exceptional value for "name brand" bikes.

Whodat?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:28 pm

Whodat?
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:13 pm

He's just :salt:
:fax: of the North. :lol:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

A thing was done.

:boxodicks: acquisition complete.
troyguitar

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:08 pm A thing was done.

I'm too lazy to read 300 pages, how is a bike a box?

Also, I found that the shop in the next town over has two of these things, of course a size larger and a size smaller than the one that should fit me, but I will hopefully go ride one tomorrow.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/toughroad-slr-gx-3

I'm all over the fucking place on what to buy :doe: and really :notsure: it's worth blowing $1k+ as an effectively new rider... thinking that the bikesdirect thing for half the price is likely a better choice. Maybe after 1000 miles on that I'll have some actual preferences.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:22 pm

Also, I found that the shop in the next town over has two of these things, of course a size larger and a size smaller than the one that should fit me, but I will hopefully go ride one tomorrow.

I'm all over the fucking place on what to buy :doe: and really :notsure: it's worth blowing $1k+ as an effectively new rider... thinking that the bikesdirect thing for half the price is likely a better choice. Maybe after 1000 miles on that I'll have some actual preferences.
Used or cheap is best for a new rider. Don’t forget you need a helmet, pump, flat repair tools, a blinky light, water bottles and cages, etc.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

A couple years back, I ordered an Orbea Occam AM from a bike shop on the left coast. Fantastic deal from an apparently reputable shop.

Six weeks later, the “in stock” bike still hadn’t shipped. A further couple weeks of arguing and threatening to file a chargeback, go postal and shame them everywhere on the internet resulted in them letting me know the bike didn’t exist. They ended up offering me a significant upgrade to a carbon version of the same bike and better fork, drop shipped from Orbea directly - effectively a $1600+ discount on a brand new bike that had been out for a month at the start of the model year.

After I agreed to it, I mentioned here I wouldn’t be surprised if the guy sent me a giant box of rubber dicks instead of the bike.

Hence, :boxodicks: was born.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:39 pm Image
:fuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:57 pm

Used or cheap is best for a new rider. Don’t forget you need a helmet, pump, flat repair tools, a blinky light, water bottles and cages, etc.
Agreed. I wouldn't spend $1k on a new bike as a new rider either. I really think finding out what you like and then buying that geometry on bikesdirect is the way to go.

The accy's add up too...but they're musts. Especially blinky lights...they're not that expensive anymore.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

So cut out of work early, picked up the wife and took a 2 hour drive to South Mountain Cycle in Emmaus.

I am truly blown away by this bike shop. The owner, Chad, had the bike built, pulled aside, tuned up and ready to go. A quick fit, adjust the suspension for her and he said "just be back before we close". As we were walking out he asked if I'd brought a bike for myself to follow her around, and I said no. He said "hold on" and came back with his own personal TCX Advanced Pro (a $5500 bike) so we could go explore downtown Emmaus and see how she liked the bike. Unfortunately, no trails close by but she spent a good half hour on the urban trails and loved the bike. I asked if he needed collateral and he just laughed and said "that's what insurance is for".

We came back and just talked shop for an hour or so. They've been around for 6 years, and recently dropped Cannondale and Specialized to go Giant/Liv only as they moved into the new store in April. It's 2 levels of 6,000 square feet, with a service workshop and bike storage in the basement and the main shop and a cafe on the main level. He stocks on average 350 bikes, because "people need to touch what they buy... all these shops sell bikes but don't stock anything... and complain their market is dying". He organizes shop rides from the cafe twice a week and is super active in the town. The dude just completely gets it.

I told him that I'd been offered $3500 with tax on the bike, which was about a 15% discount on the bike from my local store, that would order it for me and if it didn't fit her I'd have to pay a restocking fee of 15% if I had to exchange it for a different size. He knew we drove 2 hours for this thing and I just asked him what he could do... that obviously he's in business to make money and as long as he's in the ballpark I'll take the bike home.

"I can do $3100 with tax or $3000 cash". :fuckyeah: A 24% discount, basically, on the basis that the shop gets a hashtag on any of the videos wifey makes, and we try and make it to one of their shop rides by the end of the year. He told wifey it's a shame that we're not local because he'd love to have her as a Liv ambassador for the shop and get involved more with getting a women's beginner program/ride going.

I can't say enough about how great the shop is. I just hate it's so far away, but we'll have to take a detour to the cafe on the way home every time we ride at Blue to stop in and say hi.

The bike is great. SRAM NX Eagle, Fox 34 Rhythm/DPS EVOL suspension, 30mm wheelset, carbon frame... It feels very similar to my Occam in the way it changes direction and shifts weight around. It weighs about 28.5lbs fully set up with pedals. The teal color looks solid on the website but actually has a good amount of flake and a lot of subtle gradient and depth in the color. The only thing I don't like is the SRAM shifters... but I'm not riding the thing so it doesn't matter!

It's a MASSIVE upgrade from her Embolden, but she's outgrown that and I'm so psyched for her.
Apex

So much :fuckyeah: about that experience!

In4grouprides!
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:18 am So cut out of work early, picked up the wife and took a 2 hour drive to South Mountain Cycle in Emmaus.

I am truly blown away by this bike shop. The owner, Chad, had the bike built, pulled aside, tuned up and ready to go. A quick fit, adjust the suspension for her and he said "just be back before we close". As we were walking out he asked if I'd brought a bike for myself to follow her around, and I said no. He said "hold on" and came back with his own personal TCX Advanced Pro (a $5500 bike) so we could go explore downtown Emmaus and see how she liked the bike. Unfortunately, no trails close by but she spent a good half hour on the urban trails and loved the bike. I asked if he needed collateral and he just laughed and said "that's what insurance is for".

We came back and just talked shop for an hour or so. They've been around for 6 years, and recently dropped Cannondale and Specialized to go Giant/Liv only as they moved into the new store in April. It's 2 levels of 6,000 square feet, with a service workshop and bike storage in the basement and the main shop and a cafe on the main level. He stocks on average 350 bikes, because "people need to touch what they buy... all these shops sell bikes but don't stock anything... and complain their market is dying". He organizes shop rides from the cafe twice a week and is super active in the town. The dude just completely gets it.

I told him that I'd been offered $3500 with tax on the bike, which was about a 15% discount on the bike from my local store, that would order it for me and if it didn't fit her I'd have to pay a restocking fee of 15% if I had to exchange it for a different size. He knew we drove 2 hours for this thing and I just asked him what he could do... that obviously he's in business to make money and as long as he's in the ballpark I'll take the bike home.

"I can do $3100 with tax or $3000 cash". :fuckyeah: A 24% discount, basically, on the basis that the shop gets a hashtag on any of the videos wifey makes, and we try and make it to one of their shop rides by the end of the year. He told wifey it's a shame that we're not local because he'd love to have her as a Liv ambassador for the shop and get involved more with getting a women's beginner program/ride going.

I can't say enough about how great the shop is. I just hate it's so far away, but we'll have to take a detour to the cafe on the way home every time we ride at Blue to stop in and say hi.

The bike is great. SRAM NX Eagle, Fox 34 Rhythm/DPS EVOL suspension, 30mm wheelset, carbon frame... It feels very similar to my Occam in the way it changes direction and shifts weight around. It weighs about 28.5lbs fully set up with pedals. The teal color looks solid on the website but actually has a good amount of flake and a lot of subtle gradient and depth in the color. The only thing I don't like is the SRAM shifters... but I'm not riding the thing so it doesn't matter!

It's a MASSIVE upgrade from her Embolden, but she's outgrown that and I'm so psyched for her.
Holy shit I want to go there now. A bike shop that stocks bikes? :mindblown: :idbu: :impressive:

GX is a little nicer than NX. NX feels rather like plastic, GX feels a lot more solid. A GX shifter is probably a really cheap upgrade.
If you want to drop some weight get an XD driver for the freehub and a GX cassette, it's a LOT lighter than the NX boat anchor. That's a bit more cash though. For now just ride it and get used to it.

ChrisoftheNorth

That bike shop sounds fantastic.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:31 am
Holy shit I want to go there now. A bike shop that stocks bikes? :mindblown: :idbu: :impressive:

GX is a little nicer than NX. NX feels rather like plastic, GX feels a lot more solid. A GX shifter is probably a really cheap upgrade.
If you want to drop some weight get an XD driver for the freehub and a GX cassette, it's a LOT lighter than the NX boat anchor. That's a bit more cash though. For now just ride it and get used to it.

It'll be fine for her in the end... no need to change anything, other than the grips.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:38 am That bike shop sounds fantastic.

Pretty :impressive: all around. Makes me wonder how they make any money. :dillerman: markup must be YUUGE on bikes?

I'm 99% set on just ordering this thing for $500 (plus tax, thanks NY) shipped and using it long enough to develop some real preferences (not to mention fitness and skills...).

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot ... e-bike.htm

Even renting a thing for a day or two isn't going to be enough for me to properly decide since I have no idea what I'm doing - and with any luck my fitness level will change significantly such that right bike for right now won't be the right one next year anyway. This one can fit 23-45mm tires and has gears for (almost) all speeds with middle of the road geometry. That's gotta be good enough.
Apex

Halters is a trade-in shop with BicycleBlueBook... :plac:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:52 am

Pretty :impressive: all around. Makes me wonder how they make any money. :dillerman: markup must be YUUGE on bikes?

I'm 99% set on just ordering this thing for $500 (plus tax, thanks NY) shipped and using it long enough to develop some real preferences (not to mention fitness and skills...).

Even renting a thing for a day or two isn't going to be enough for me to properly decide since I have no idea what I'm doing - and with any luck my fitness level will change significantly such that right bike for right now won't be the right one next year anyway. This one can fit 23-45mm tires and has gears for (almost) all speeds with middle of the road geometry. That's gotta be good enough.
I've got a very similar bike that I use as my "road" bike. It was a Performance Bike (RIP) house brand bike which is likely the same frame as this. I really like the bike, but it certainly has more of a road riding position. Not a bad thing, but I wouldn't rip MTB trails on it.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

you're at about a 30-40% margin on a bike right now.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:57 am Halters is a trade-in shop with BicycleBlueBook... :plac:
Wifey's $1470MSRP bike was valued at $480, which is why I'm offering it to you guys first...
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:58 am

I've got a very similar bike that I use as my "road" bike. It was a Performance Bike (RIP) house brand bike which is likely the same frame as this. I really like the bike, but it certainly has more of a road riding position. Not a bad thing, but I wouldn't rip MTB trails on it.
"Upright road" is fine. I'm realistically going to be doing 95% road riding, if not 99%. The nearest MTB trails are a 10-15 mile round trip so I won't be hitting them any time soon and certainly won't be "ripping" whenever it happens. More like putting around in 1st gear.
troyguitar

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:58 am

you're at about a 30-40% margin on a bike right now.
Ballz, if I could get the $1050 MSRP thing locally for $800 cash I'd probably do that over buying online. They didn't give the impression that there was any room for negotiation but I haven't seriously tried either. :notsure: