The :baby: :baby: :baby: chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:15 pm
They're pretty nuts. Sedans were made in the most volume and thus most affordable. Wagons are rare, especially with :manuel: and are very pricey. Coupes are right in the middle value.

They're all :neat: :doe:
Where did this "mid 20s" number come from ? Sub 50k mile manual ones are close to or 40k

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/ ... 96384.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/ ... 54779.html
automatic coupe with 100k miles 25k
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/ ... 23737.html
Automatic sedan 30k with 65k miles...

They are essentially M3 prices with equal miles.
sub 50k miles on a 10 year old car is a bit :unicorn: Yes, you're going to pay more for that. Realistic miles (under 100k) no problem...

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =242744347

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =241856772

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =214561101

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =239596648

:iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

HIgh 20s for a 100k mile blown motor with mostly shit 6 speed automatics ? I don't see the draw here boys.
Those were all 4 owner cars with accidents also... when you have a 7-8 year newer 500lb lighter m3 at 38-39k with 1/2 the miles I don't see how that is a bad buy. These CTS-Vs are hardly bargains.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I'm still thinking a 40k Cayman will go up in value over any reasonable ownership time frame, and they look like fun toys to own. The more this clown thinks about it, the more I want one.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

:manuel:, $40k, but low miles and a clean history. Biggest problem with these is like the Chebby SS, they're rare and being able to drive one first without having to travel halfway across the country would be tough. Take that car and make it look like a F30 M3 and I'd be sold.
ChrisoftheNorth

Problem with an M car is all the ridiculous :waxer: maintenance for the engine and cooling systems made of glass. Those are cars to lease, not buy to own long term.

A CTS-V is just :ellis: which can take a beating for YEARS with nothing more than oil changes. High mileage doesn't really matter.

:manuel: cars are rare, indeed. And do command a premium. But they're still way cheaper than an SS, slightly smaller, and faster. Done.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I'm with Max on this one
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:51 pm Problem with an M car is all the ridiculous :waxer: maintenance for the engine and cooling systems made of glass. Those are cars to lease, not buy to own long term.

A CTS-V is just :ellis: which can take a beating for YEARS with nothing more than oil changes. High mileage doesn't really matter.

:manuel: cars are rare, indeed. And do command a premium. But they're still way cheaper than an SS, slightly smaller, and faster. Done.
How many years of beatings are left after 10 years 4 owners 1 accident and 70-90k miles?

The current M cars have proven relatively reliable. I would actually much rather roll the dice on current gen M3 from 40>90k miles than on those CTS-Vs from 90>140k miles.

Chevy SS makes more sense, as it isn't blown a bit lighter and much certainly newer.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/ ... 69418.html They are about the same price as the CTS-

Also it depends on what you value... M3 is a far better handling vehicle than the CTV, it may not have the V8 loudness but it has a very distinctive sound that I actually really like. (Not saying its better, I prefer V8, but its nothing to complain about).

Don't get me wrong CTS'V is a good car but it isn't 25k so that's a :fakenews: price point a clean manual one is 35-40k so is an M3 and that comparison comes up short for a CTS-V IMO, it loses out in years, badge and performance
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

This car continues to be the gift that keeps on giving. While in Michigan it started making some metallic clinking noises from the front left over sharper, smaller impacts like pothole patches. It sounds very reminiscent of the broken spring my wife's 2005 Mazda 3 had, and the front definitely doesn't feel quite right going over anything but the smallest imperfections. :rage:

:wasteful:

Buy a cheaper car to save money...riiiiiiight. :rolleyes:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:51 pm Problem with an M car is all the ridiculous :waxer: maintenance for the engine and cooling systems made of glass. Those are cars to lease, not buy to own long term.

How many years of beatings are left after 10 years 4 owners 1 accident and 70-90k miles?

The current M cars have proven relatively reliable. I would actually much rather roll the dice on current gen M3 from 40>90k miles than on those CTS-Vs from 90>140k miles.

Chevy SS makes more sense, as it isn't blown a bit lighter and much certainly newer.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/ ... 69418.html They are about the same price as the CTS-

Also it depends on what you value... M3 is a far better handling vehicle than the CTV, it may not have the V8 loudness but it has a very distinctive sound that I actually really like. (Not saying its better, I prefer V8, but its nothing to complain about).

Don't get me wrong CTS'V is a good car but it isn't 25k so that's a :fakenews: price point a clean manual one is 35-40k so is an M3 and that comparison comes up short for a CTS-V IMO, it loses out in years, badge and performance
A nice :manual: F80 M3 seems pretty great as an only car for him here, I agree. I like the CTS-V but for a daily, something 5-10 years newer is just going to work better almost always.

The M3 is also smaller but still works for a family, which is nice. One thing I like about my F30 is the size, it's truly a comfortable four person car while still weighing in at only 3200ish. Also, dem seats :jimp: And I personally think it looks way better.

A :manuel: ATS-V would be awesome though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:11 pm This car continues to be the gift that keeps on giving. While in Michigan it started making some metallic clinking noises from the front left over sharper, smaller impacts like pothole patches. It sounds very reminiscent of the broken spring my wife's 2005 Mazda 3 had, and the front definitely doesn't feel quite right going over anything but the smallest imperfections. :rage:

:disgust:
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:11 pm This car continues to be the gift that keeps on giving. While in Michigan it started making some metallic clinking noises from the front left over sharper, smaller impacts like pothole patches. It sounds very reminiscent of the broken spring my wife's 2005 Mazda 3 had, and the front definitely doesn't feel quite right going over anything but the smallest imperfections. :rage:

My MK6 clunked and groaned over every bump. I think on the MK6 chassis the general concensus was the front control arm bushings? I'd be surprised as hell if you have a broken spring. More likely its a strut bearing. Pull that wheel off and check tightness on everything?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:08 am My MK6 clunked and groaned over every bump. I think on the MK6 chassis the general concensus was the front control arm bushings? I'd be surprised as hell if you have a broken spring. More likely its a strut bearing. Pull that wheel off and check tightness on everything?
This thing was pretty tight until recently, now it feels like the whole front end is falling apart over any imperfection bigger than a pebble. I don't think it's a broken spring, either, I just think it sounds like one. The sounds are low, I think they're control arm and/or swaybar related.

The :jeep: lyfe is getting more and more appealing with the general condition of the roads everywhere. More likely is we trade in the :turboyaris: on the family hauler when the time comes instead of the RDX, doe.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:03 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:08 am My MK6 clunked and groaned over every bump. I think on the MK6 chassis the general concensus was the front control arm bushings? I'd be surprised as hell if you have a broken spring. More likely its a strut bearing. Pull that wheel off and check tightness on everything?
This thing was pretty tight until recently, now it feels like the whole front end is falling apart over any imperfection bigger than a pebble. I don't think it's a broken spring, either, I just think it sounds like one. The sounds are low, I think they're control arm and/or swaybar related.

The :jeep: lyfe is getting more and more appealing with the general condition of the roads everywhere. More likely is we trade in the :turboyaris: on the family hauler when the time comes instead of the RDX, doe.
The new RDX is nice as hell dude.

Yeah Jeep lyfe, just test drive it thoroughly. And by that I mean rent one for a couple days so you can form a :wrong: opinion and have people tell you you're an idiot. They are NOT good for highway travel. But they are pretty decent at around town derping.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:54 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:03 am

The new RDX is nice as hell dude.

Yeah Jeep lyfe, just test drive it thoroughly. And by that I mean rent one for a couple days so you can form a :wrong: opinion and have people tell you you're an idiot. They are NOT good for highway travel. But they are pretty decent at around town derping.
New RDX will be too small for us with 2 kids and 2 doggos. MDX, CX-9, Ascent, that sort of thing will be on the shopping list. For all I care we'd get a :minivan:. The 2012 RDX is likely to stay because, well, it isn't a pile of :poop:.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Whelp, I jacked up the front end and pulled off the passenger wheel - nothing looked out of ordinary. No front to rear play in the control arm bushings, spring was tight in the assembly and looked fine, end link was tight and looked fine. I have no idea. :iono:
Last edited by coogles on Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:09 pm Whelp, I jacked up the front end and pulled off the passenger wheel - nothing looked out of ordinary. No front to rear play in the control arms bushings, spring was tight in the assembly and looked fine, end link was tight and looked fine. I have no idea. :iono:
Strut bearing? Did you turn the strut while it was up?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:12 pm Strut bearing? Did you turn the strut while it was up?
I did not. Probably should have, but this sounds nothing like a strut bearing. Much more of a metallic clink than the creak-creak of a strut bearing.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:12 pm Strut bearing? Did you turn the strut while it was up?
I did not. Probably should have, but this sounds nothing like a strut bearing. Much more of a metallic clink than the creak-creak of a strut bearing.
I've had bad strut bearings make some pretty crazy noises.

Otherwise maybe there's a heat shield or something like that loose?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:21 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:16 pm

:plac: bearing went bad. Needs to be replaced.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:21 pm

I suspect this is where it's going.

:|
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:26 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:25 pm

I suspect this is where it's going.

:|
I've wanted to off the car since about 3 weeks after I bought it, so quite possible. Coming up on a year with it now, doe...that's the true disappointment.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

In a surprising turn of events, I've actually really been enjoying driving the car lately. New fresh pavement everywhere so the suspension hasn't been making all sorts of noise on my usual routes. I have an appointment on the 12th to have the local VW/Audi/Porsche indy shop check things out (they're busy!!), but considering the one struts is slightly bent from the :dillerman: fuckery I dealt with last year, the current plan is to do some Koni yellows, the euro market Eibach pro-kit (linear, ~.8" drop), and SuperPro top mounts unless it comes back that something else is wrong up front too.

Hemming and hawing about a tune. The Unitronic summer sale has me thinking I should just go ahead and take the plunge.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:59 am In a surprising turn of events, I've actually really been enjoying driving the car lately. New fresh pavement everywhere so the suspension hasn't been making all sorts of noise on my usual routes. I have an appointment on the 12th to have the local VW/Audi/Porsche indy shop check things out (they're busy!!), but considering the one struts is slightly bent from the :dillerman: fuckery I dealt with last year, the current plan is to do some Koni yellows, the euro market Eibach pro-kit (linear, ~.8" drop), and SuperPro top mounts unless it comes back that something else is wrong up front too.

Hemming and hawing about a tune. The Unitronic summer sale has me thinking I should just go ahead and take the plunge.
Oh wow, nice development.

It's incredible how much of an impact quality roads have on vehicle enjoyment.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:03 pm Oh wow, nice development.

No joke. Roads downtown still resemble the surface of the moon, but now that I wfh most of the time I'm totally :aintcare: about that, and around me and north there's been a ton of work done. The rapid bus line opens up September 1 too, so any time I do need to go downtown I'll just end up taking that anyway.

Wife and I have been looking more at family haulers lately too, and the idea of choosing either the RDX or my car really puts into perspective how much better the GTI really is to drive. Makes me appreciate the thing quite a bit more.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:03 pm Oh wow, nice development.

No joke. Roads downtown still resemble the surface of the moon, but now that I wfh most of the time I'm totally :aintcare: about that, and around me and north there's been a ton of work done. The rapid bus line opens up September 1 too, so any time I do need to go downtown I'll just end up taking that anyway.

Wife and I have been looking more at family haulers lately too, and the idea of choosing either the RDX or my car really puts into perspective how much better the GTI really is to drive. Makes me appreciate the thing quite a bit more.
Yeah man, nothing wrong with an RDX at all, they’re nice but man, having that as your only car as a car guy is just depressing.