Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:try 55 front 65 rear
Will try tomorrow.

I think I might drive over to one of the longer rail trails if I have time. It's a ~30 minute drive one way though so I'd like to avoid doing that on a regular basis. I need to be OK with riding on roads if I'm going to ride regularly, blowing 2+ hours a day on riding+driving can't happen.
troyguitar

You do 10 mph on a 45 mph road with no shoulders or passing lane, infuriating drivers, vs just using the empty sidewalk? This is small town murica, there is no pedestrian traffic. In 3-4 miles on the sidewalk I encountered 1 pedestrian.

:iono: the whole thing just doesn't feel safe, like riding a 250 ninja on the autobahn.
troyguitar

This is small town murica, there are often no other road options. I'm supposed to just think that I'm more important than everyone else and make them wait for me? And trust that they'll do so?

You guys are insane.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:12 pm You do 10 mph on a 45 mph road with no shoulders or passing lane, infuriating drivers, vs just using the empty sidewalk? This is small town murica, there is no pedestrian traffic. In 3-4 miles on the sidewalk I encountered 1 pedestrian.

:iono: the whole thing just doesn't feel safe, like riding a 250 ninja on the autobahn.
We are typically on less busy roads. I think you only have a few that go in/out of the town so your options are more limited.
troyguitar

We have roads like this generally. 55 mph, no passing, often no pull-off for miles, I wouldn't drive a car on it at 30 even with airbags. I guess I'm :wrong: and should just go ride on them with my middle finger held high?

This is the way to get from my place to the bike paths - that or an interstate. Image
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:20 pm This is small town murica, there are often no other road options. I'm supposed to just think that I'm more important than everyone else and make them wait for me? And trust that they'll do so?

You guys are insane.
Aggressive drivers are the reason I’ve been riding mostly all dirt this year. Haven’t had any real run ins but I have a lot of road options so I can avoid that type situation. I stick to slower back roads. I hardly ever find myself on a road with no shoulder.

Road raging on cyclists is kind of rare here because cyclists are very common. Ride out in the far out burbs that’s when you’ll get swerved at, or have shit thrown or yelled at you.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:36 pm We have roads like this generally. 55 mph, no passing, often no pull-off for miles, I wouldn't drive a car on it at 30 even with airbags. I guess I'm :wrong: and should just go ride on them with my middle finger held high?

This is the way to get from my place to the bike paths - that or an interstate. Image
Naw man I’d be nervous as fuck on that street especially if I was by myself. That’s the problem with road riding in small town Murcia sadly.

There are real mountain bike trails out by you. Why not go for mountain biking instead? Keep the roadie for in town hopping around and as a bar bike.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

And Johnny thought test riding men's bikes was tough.

Wifey is now riding past the limits of her bike... it was incredibly obvious after watching her ride a Remedy in Wales and then watching her on the Embolden at Mountain Creek.

There's exactly 1 size small Intrigue Advanced (either 0,1 or 2) within 200 miles, and 1 size medium about 60 miles away. There are no alloy versions within 1000 miles.

She's right in the middle of needing a small or medium, too... a small is for riders 5'2"-5'7", while a medium is 5'5"-5'9"... she's 5'6".
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:24 pm And Johnny thought test riding men's bikes was tough.

Wifey is now riding past the limits of her bike... it was incredibly obvious after watching her ride a Remedy in Wales and then watching her on the Embolden at Mountain Creek.

There's exactly 1 size small Intrigue Advanced (either 0,1 or 2) within 200 miles, and 1 size medium about 60 miles away. There are no alloy versions within 1000 miles.

She's right in the middle of needing a small or medium, too... a small is for riders 5'2"-5'7", while a medium is 5'5"-5'9"... she's 5'6".
:doomed:
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:24 pm And Johnny thought test riding men's bikes was tough.

Branch out from liv?

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/women-bike ... d0QAvD_BwE
:jimp:

Or a Juliana. Maybe a close out model?
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/juli ... p1bGlhbmE=#

There have to be more out there.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Put her on a Men's small just for the test ride and see how it feels.
2 problems with these... the Liv versions actually have different geometry compared to the same size Giant frames, unlike Santa Cruz/Juliana that just use shorter cranks, stems and bars and paint the frames pink.

Also, a small Trance isn't in stock anywhere either to do this.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:57 pm

Branch out from liv?

She's pretty brand loyal, and especially with Liv because of their design philosophy and with their events, demos, and what they do for women's cycling in general. They're more than just a brand that paints small men's frames feminine colors and cribs the fit with smaller parts.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:43 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:35 pm

2 problems with these... the Liv versions actually have different geometry compared to the same size Giant frames, unlike Santa Cruz/Juliana that just use shorter cranks, stems and bars and paint the frames pink.

Also, a small Trance isn't in stock anywhere either to do this.
Where/when is the next demo day?
No demos scheduled for the rest of the year. I've called DBW, Village Velo/Giant in Conshohocken, Giant/Brandywine Bikes in DE and Saucon Valley Bikes in Bethlehem.

Saucon have a Medium Intrigue Advanced 2 for $3885, and would sell me the bike for $3200... but I think it's a touch too big for her, and they won't do that price on a special order.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:46 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:57 pm

Branch out from liv?

She's pretty brand loyal, and especially with Liv because of their design philosophy and with their events, demos, and what they do for women's cycling in general. They're more than just a brand that paints small men's frames feminine colors and cribs the fit with smaller parts.
Specialized has women’s stump jumpers I think. But yeah women’s cycling I don’t know very well. If she likes the liv May as well just stick with that I guess.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:48 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:43 pm

Where/when is the next demo day?
No demos scheduled for the rest of the year. I've called DBW, Village Velo/Giant in Conshohocken, Giant/Brandywine Bikes in DE and Saucon Valley Bikes in Bethlehem.

Saucon have a Medium Intrigue Advanced 2 for $3885, and would sell me the bike for $3200... but I think it's a touch too big for her, and they won't do that price on a special order.
I can call bikesmith and cadence if you’d like.

There are a few jobs dealers around here but I don’t think they do lady bikes per se. hmm.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:27 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:48 pm

I can call bikesmith and cadence if you’d like.

There are a few jobs dealers around here but I don’t think they do lady bikes per se. hmm.
Liv/Giant have a bike locator on their site. Nowhere can get me a carbon or alloy version of an Intrigue in either a small or medium to size.

The Giant/Liv brand store in Conshy has their fit machine that they can mock her up on with the same specs, but nothing to test ride. The only demo intrigue they can pull in for me is a size Large from their local rep.

Maybe cadence or bike smith can get a small or medium to demo? I would pay a premium to buy with them if they can find one for her to at least ride before we commit to a size.
Johnny_P

Jobs lol... meant Kona
troyguitar

So uh, what does one need to even take a brief test ride in the trails? They race cyclocross on 32mm wide tires, does that mean that many of these hybrids and relaxed road bikes which can fit 32+ mm tires can do some trails? Assuming that the gearing is also low enough - do you need 1:1?
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:14 pm So uh, what does one need to even take a brief test ride in the trails? They race cyclocross on 32mm wide tires, does that mean that many of these hybrids and relaxed road bikes which can fit 32+ mm tires can do some trails? Assuming that the gearing is also low enough - do you need 1:1?
Anything is a trail bike if you are ballsy enough. No but really I wouldn't take a road bike on any real single track MTB trails. I mean, I've done it, but it is really dangerous. Cyclocross bikes have stronger frames, clearance for mud, appropriate gearing, and better breakover clearances than straight up road bikes.

You could try though, if the trail is pretty smooth. Your tires are kind of fat and have some tread on them. :popcorn:

If you want to try those trails at the Erwin nature preserve place I posted up, I think you'd want at least a hardtail mountain bike.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:38 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:14 pm So uh, what does one need to even take a brief test ride in the trails? They race cyclocross on 32mm wide tires, does that mean that many of these hybrids and relaxed road bikes which can fit 32+ mm tires can do some trails? Assuming that the gearing is also low enough - do you need 1:1?
Anything is a trail bike if you are ballsy enough. No but really I wouldn't take a road bike on any real single track MTB trails. I mean, I've done it, but it is really dangerous. Cyclocross bikes have stronger frames, clearance for mud, appropriate gearing, and better breakover clearances than straight up road bikes.

You could try though, if the trail is pretty smooth. Your tires are kind of fat and have some tread on them. :popcorn:

If you want to try those trails at the Erwin nature preserve place I posted up, I think you'd want at least a hardtail mountain bike.
Haha, I didn't mean that I'd take the Schwinn out but am wondering if I could take stuff like these out:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot ... e-bike.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gra ... fb-xiv.htm

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fastroad-sl-3

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... c/p/23350/

Most come with road tires but all can fit 32mm minimum, the Bikes Direct models can even fit 45mm :225: :225:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:52 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:38 pm

Haha, I didn't mean that I'd take the Schwinn out but am wondering if I could take stuff like these out:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot ... e-bike.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gra ... fb-xiv.htm

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fastroad-sl-3

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... c/p/23350/

Most come with road tires but all can fit 32mm minimum, the Bikes Direct models can even fit 45mm :225: :225:
Maybe? I don't know the trails out there so I can't really say how :fullretard: an idea that is.

My cyclocross bike has the same tires as that first bikesdirect one, only mine are set up tubeless. My bike can handle much of the mountain bike single track in the area around me. It's limited by rocky trails and drop offs. If you had something like that I think you could ride a lot of stuff with it. If you're planning on doing mostly single track riding, a hardtail is still the better pick. But that first one should be able to get you to the trailhead and on some of the less intense trails, and then home. Which is exactly how I ride my cross bike :)

Do keep in mind I'm a rather advanced rider and use clip-in cleated pedals. I would NOT try singletrack on a cross bike on flat pedals. You have to finesse these bikes around you can't just plow shit like you can with a mountain bike.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:41 am
A helmet and some :balls: - if you're taking the road bike.

Don't be silly, just send it.
I have ridden the Cervelo on one of the easier singletrack trails in Belmont. It was terrifying. lol.
Johnny_P

Troy, rent/borrow a hardtail mountain bike and send it for a few hours. That's the best way to do this. Call around, see who has one, and make a day out of it. If it sucks, then whatever, you're out a day and $50 as opposed to $600+.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:10 am Troy, rent/borrow a hardtail mountain bike and send it for a few hours. That's the best way to do this. Call around, see who has one, and make a day out of it. If it sucks, then whatever, you're out a day and $50 as opposed to $600+.
Easier said than done without driving to Philly - hell that might be the closest place I can rent one. I haven't talked to every shop yet but so far within a 90 minute drive there is one place which rents proper road bikes and two places which rent cheap hybrid/comfort/touring bikes - zero MTB options. Maybe just buy a Huffy or whatever on crangslist and throw it in the trash when I'm done? :wasteful:

Bottom line is I don't want two bikes, I barely even want one bike. The whole gravel/cross/hybrid idea seems as close as it gets to the WRX of bicycles: good enough for autox, rallyx, ice racing, commuting, camping, whatever you want to do besides rock crawling is only a tire swap away... It sounds like you're saying that these things suck on road and are flat out dangerous off road :doe: so I can't win.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:57 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:10 am Troy, rent/borrow a hardtail mountain bike and send it for a few hours. That's the best way to do this. Call around, see who has one, and make a day out of it. If it sucks, then whatever, you're out a day and $50 as opposed to $600+.
Easier said than done without driving to Philly - hell that might be the closest place I can rent one. I haven't talked to every shop yet but so far within a 90 minute drive there is one place which rents proper road bikes and two places which rent cheap hybrid/comfort/touring bikes - zero MTB options. Maybe just buy a Huffy or whatever on crangslist and throw it in the trash when I'm done? :wasteful:

Bottom line is I don't want two bikes, I barely even want one bike. The whole gravel/cross/hybrid idea seems as close as it gets to the WRX of bicycles: good enough for autox, rallyx, ice racing, commuting, camping, whatever you want to do besides rock crawling is only a tire swap away... It sounds like you're saying that these things suck on road and are flat out dangerous off road :doe: so I can't win.
Aw man :( sorry none of the shops have mountain bikes.