I'm thinking of a place that....

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Looking for a place to live and work with the following qualities in order of importance:

1) Cold is OK but warm by March or April

2) Outdoor or cycling culture

3) Close to outdoor activities

4) Walkable

5) Close to nature

6) Good food and restaurants

7) Has a town center or downtown area

8) House doesn't have a huge amount of land (can probably find this anywhere though)

9) Not completely in Trump land. Mix of dem/rep preferred.

10) Good coffee shop(s)

You guys have any recommendations that hit most/all of those? Or even just the top 5?
This is an exercise in the book I'm reading about career changing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Honestly, Charlotte dude. Way lower COL than where you're at, the US Whitewater Center has the most trails in the country and we're close to mountains, there are tons of jobs, good weather.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Th only thing I would say is that walkability is highly area dependent. If you're interested, let me know and I could give some tips on neighborhoods. I'm also happy to show you around and even put you up in my hood if you wanted to check it out.

I would go with a place like Greenville, SC or Asheville, NC over Charlotte if you can find a job.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

First town that came to mind was Asheville, NC. Seems like a :neat: college town with good restaurants,etc, but COL may be :fullretard: :doe: :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

Depends on your definition of warm.... but the rest of your priorities are easily found in the northwest. Portland metro, Seattle metro, Spokane, Salem, Bend all have those things. Walkability depends on which neighborhood, but there’s never a shortage of outdoor adventures, bike and coffee cultures are huge here, and the bigger cities like I listed are more politically diverse than the rest of the states. The eastern cities (Spokane and Bend) have less rain year round but more snow in the winter.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

wap wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:00 pm First town that came to mind was Asheville, NC. Seems like a :neat: college town with good restaurants,etc, but COL may be :fullretard: :doe: :iono:
:dat:

You described Asheville
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
wap wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:00 pm First town that came to mind was Asheville, NC. Seems like a :neat: college town with good restaurants,etc, but COL may be :fullretard: :doe: :iono:

You described Asheville
Yep, as long as you're a trust fund kid or a vegan taco farmer.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:46 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote:

You described Asheville
Yep, as long as you're a trust fund kid or a vegan taco farmer.
I like vegan tacos
Johnny_P

haleyann wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:29 pm Depends on your definition of warm.... but the rest of your priorities are easily found in the northwest. Portland metro, Seattle metro, Spokane, Salem, Bend all have those things. Walkability depends on which neighborhood, but there’s never a shortage of outdoor adventures, bike and coffee cultures are huge here, and the bigger cities like I listed are more politically diverse than the rest of the states. The eastern cities (Spokane and Bend) have less rain year round but more snow in the winter.
I love the PNW. Friends have said it’s really dreary and cold outside the summer months. I’ll put those towns on the list thanks Haley.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:34 pm Looking for a place to live and work with the following qualities in order of importance:

1) Cold is OK but warm by March or April

2) Outdoor or cycling culture

3) Close to outdoor activities

4) Walkable

5) Close to nature

6) Good food and restaurants

7) Has a town center or downtown area

8) House doesn't have a huge amount of land (can probably find this anywhere though)

9) Not completely in Trump land. Mix of dem/rep preferred.

10) Good coffee shop(s)

You guys have any recommendations that hit most/all of those? Or even just the top 5?
This is an exercise in the book I'm reading about career changing.
Pittsburgh /bread
Lived there once before. It was a nice little city.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:54 pm Honestly, Charlotte dude. Way lower COL than where you're at, the US Whitewater Center has the most trails in the country and we're close to mountains, there are tons of jobs, good weather.
Yeah it’s high on the list.
Johnny_P

Been there a few times and I do like it. I wonder if the artist vibe would get old. So outdoorsy though.

Odd issue there. It’s only white people. There is little to no diversity.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:28 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:55 pm

Lived there once before. It was a nice little city.
TBH, I’ve really fallen in love with PGH.

It’s a cool city with a solid downtown and plenty of recreational areas surrounding it.
Oh yeah. It’s so beautiful there with all of the hills and the rivers and everything is cheaper. I don’t know about the bike trails and stuff but I’d imagine they are around considering there are woods everywhere.

Asheville has indeed gotten very expensive. I love going there but am glad I live in more of a “real city” I think.

How about the Salt Lake City area? Outdoor things off the charts there and it’s very beautiful and affordable. My company just bought a pretty cool tech company out there, PM me if you’re interested in applying and I’ll send you details. Lots of engineering jobs I’m told.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:38 am
[user not found] wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:28 am

TBH, I’ve really fallen in love with PGH.

It’s a cool city with a solid downtown and plenty of recreational areas surrounding it.
Oh yeah. It’s so beautiful there with all of the hills and the rivers and everything is cheaper. I don’t know about the bike trails and stuff but I’d imagine they are around considering there are woods everywhere.

Asheville has indeed gotten very expensive. I love going there but am glad I live in more of a “real city” I think.

How about the Salt Lake City area? Outdoor things off the charts there and it’s very beautiful and affordable. My company just bought a pretty cool tech company out there, PM me if you’re interested in applying and I’ll send you details. Lots of engineering jobs I’m told.
Interesting. I’ll check it out.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

haleyann wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:29 pm Depends on your definition of warm.... but the rest of your priorities are easily found in the northwest. Portland metro, Seattle metro, Spokane, Salem, Bend all have those things. Walkability depends on which neighborhood, but there’s never a shortage of outdoor adventures, bike and coffee cultures are huge here, and the bigger cities like I listed are more politically diverse than the rest of the states. The eastern cities (Spokane and Bend) have less rain year round but more snow in the winter.
PNW is definitely great, I would love to live in Seattle but very expensive there. Some of the smaller cities mentioned are probably better in that regard. Boise is also :neat:
troyguitar

Pittsburgh is indeed pretty nice for 6 months a year. I think that I'd do OK there because of hockey, but IIRC you're not a winter sports bro? Charlotte seems hard to beat if you can't afford SF.

Denver is treated as mecca for many outdoors people, might be worth a look.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:17 am Pittsburgh is indeed pretty nice for 6 months a year. I think that I'd do OK there because of hockey, but IIRC you're not a winter sports bro? Charlotte seems hard to beat if you can't afford SF.

Denver is treated as mecca for many outdoors people, might be worth a look.
Pittsburgh's winter gets a bad wrap. They get a decent amount of small snow storms because of the lake but it doesn't get THAT cold and the winter is it mid-December through St Patrick's day. Come second week of April you can put your summer wheels on.

LOTS of growing tech industries as well as more "traditional" industry. Health care sector growing incredibly fast. Cheap COL but all the hippy and tech bro stuff you could want. Minutes from the Mountains both for car fun and bikes.

It's a great place.
Sure you can take off the snow tires but you still aren't going to be enjoying being outside in April. They stupidly schedule autox events there at that time and it's almost always 40-some degrees and raining, maybe 60 for an hour in the afternoon if you're lucky... people show up anyway because it's been 6 months since they got to drive.

Compare that to the March events in Charlotte where it's sunny and 60s, maybe even 70 for a high. Both places are 90 and humid in the summer too, you just get a 50% longer season in NC at no extra cost.

After living in KY I don't understand why anyone lives in the North. :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:58 am
[user not found] wrote:
Pittsburgh's winter gets a bad wrap. They get a decent amount of small snow storms because of the lake but it doesn't get THAT cold and the winter is it mid-December through St Patrick's day. Come second week of April you can put your summer wheels on.

LOTS of growing tech industries as well as more "traditional" industry. Health care sector growing incredibly fast. Cheap COL but all the hippy and tech bro stuff you could want. Minutes from the Mountains both for car fun and bikes.

It's a great place.
Sure you can take off the snow tires but you still aren't going to be enjoying being outside in April. They stupidly schedule autox events there at that time and it's almost always 40-some degrees and raining, maybe 60 for an hour in the afternoon if you're lucky... people show up anyway because it's been 6 months since they got to drive.

Compare that to the March events in Charlotte where it's sunny and 60s, maybe even 70 for a high. Both places are 90 and humid in the summer too, you just get a 50% longer season in NC at no extra cost.

Houses in Charlotte are about 2X Pittsburgh and Pitt is a prettier area in the city proper, but otherwise agreed.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

It’s a good point about summer though, it’s basically the same fromJacksonville to New York June-August so may as well live somewhere that’s nice the other months if on the East Coast.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:58 am Sure you can take off the snow tires but you still aren't going to be enjoying being outside in April. They stupidly schedule autox events there at that time and it's almost always 40-some degrees and raining, maybe 60 for an hour in the afternoon if you're lucky... people show up anyway because it's been 6 months since they got to drive.

Some of us love the cold? Real cold, like lower 20s.
:wrong:
wap

I like the cold, and we definitely get our share of sub-zero days here. :iono:
wap

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:45 pm Winter jacket doesn't come out until teens.
Yep, my heavy down Marmot stays in the closet until it gets below 20*.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:09 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:58 am Sure you can take off the snow tires but you still aren't going to be enjoying being outside in April. They stupidly schedule autox events there at that time and it's almost always 40-some degrees and raining, maybe 60 for an hour in the afternoon if you're lucky... people show up anyway because it's been 6 months since they got to drive.

Lisa hates the cold
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:09 pm

:wub: me some cold and snow.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:54 pm Honestly, Charlotte dude. Way lower COL than where you're at, the US Whitewater Center has the most trails in the country and we're close to mountains, there are tons of jobs, good weather.
I know a few people who moved from NoVa to Charlotte and they seemed to be happy with it.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.