Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

Thanks guys! Super excited, also terrified.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

haleyann wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:52 pm Thanks guys! Super excited, also terrified.
Eh. :aintcare: You got dis.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

:popcorn:
brain go brrrrrr
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:11 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:24 pm I was supposed to hear from the startup company today. :sad:

How is everyone finding new higher paying jobs and I can’t get a response on my applications?
Stop. What happened to fuck all the things I want to hang out in the Rocky Mountains? You are a highly educated, highly qualified applicant for real jobs that pay real money. It will happen.
Not for nothing, when you actually have the rug pulled from underneath you and you find yourself jobless and it’s out of your control, it’s very uncomfortable.

It’s one thing to do it on your own terms, but when your hand is forced and you’ve lost the security of even a shitty job it definitely puts a bit of panic in the back of your mind.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

wap wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:06 pm
haleyann wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:52 pm Thanks guys! Super excited, also terrified.
Eh. :aintcare: You got dis.
:dat:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:36 pm

Stop. What happened to fuck all the things I want to hang out in the Rocky Mountains? You are a highly educated, highly qualified applicant for real jobs that pay real money. It will happen.
Not for nothing, when you actually have the rug pulled from underneath you and you find yourself jobless and it’s out of your control, it’s very uncomfortable.

It’s one thing to do it on your own terms, but when your hand is forced and you’ve lost the security of even a shitty job it definitely puts a bit of panic in the back of your mind.
Yea, I can totally see this.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Not wrong. Also been searching for 6 months and mostly crickets. So a little uneasy about the job market at least in the Philly area.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:dat: I strongly agree
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:00 am

Not wrong. Also been searching for 6 months and mostly crickets. So a little uneasy about the job market at least in the Philly area.
Of course, literally 2 minutes after I post this... :popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:12 am

:ohdang: :excited:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

:fuckyeah:
brain go brrrrrr
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I've been hunting jobs left and right for nearly 1.5 years or more now, even the ones that are more entry level I get turned down (which i call "get your foot in there prove that you're better than <insert entry level position>"). You can't control and feel powerless when you don't even hear them back to begin with. Not to mention when I got turned down the 3rd interview at a hotel in DC, I was :rage: needless to say, considering there was hope and fought morning rush hour 395 traffic for it.
Fortunately I have a job so i'm not that much in a rush and I have taken some short hiatus in between. But I do wanna leave where I currently work soon enough for one, I've been working there too freaking long and 2, I pretty much have no room for growth at this point, so it makes sense for me to jump the ship at the next port so I can be more comfortable again.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:popcorn: :excited:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:ohmy:
:popcorn:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

Well. It's :flaccid: kind of. A few $k more than I was making previously but no 401k or retirement benefits. Plus longer hours expected on a regular basis because startup company.

:notsure:
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:48 pm Well. It's :flaccid: kind of. A few $k more than I was making previously but no 401k or retirement benefits. Plus longer hours expected on a regular basis because startup company.

Do they have regular bene's like health, dental, and vision?
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:08 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:48 pm Well. It's :flaccid: kind of. A few $k more than I was making previously but no 401k or retirement benefits. Plus longer hours expected on a regular basis because startup company.

Yes. I don't know coverage details though. I suppose I could ask what the contributions are and for a breakdown of coverage.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:10 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Yes. I don't know coverage details though. I suppose I could ask what the contributions are and for a breakdown of coverage.
I get the :flaccid: feel on this... the longer hours are what you are trying to get away from...
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:14 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:10 pm

I get the :flaccid: feel on this... the longer hours are what you are trying to get away from...
Longer hours. It's only temporary, but that'll run until July ish of next year. Theoretically 5 days a week but likely 6. Its not a bad offer just not quite what I was hoping for. It would be a resume builder, but not sure how advantageous even that is, considering the size and scale of projects I've already worked on. Building the whole facility but it's :jalepenis: in size compared to any refinery or even chemical plant. Pretty sure even Praxair's nitrogen plant is larger.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I would reach back out and get deetz on the bennies. They're very important so you need to know, but also you may be able to gauge how much they want you by the response, like if they're really trying to sell it on you. Then you could perhaps negotiate a bit more to make up for the retirement.

Do they know about the layoff?
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:21 pm

I would reach back out and get deetz on the bennies. They're very important so you need to know, but also you may be able to gauge how much they want you by the response, like if they're really trying to sell it on you. Then you could perhaps negotiate a bit more to make up for the retirement.

Yeah they know about it. I think that is playing into the offer. Such is life.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:22 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:21 pm

Yeah, that makes it a lot trickier to walk away from an offer.

Outside of the huge hourly commitment, how are your feels on it?
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:51 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:22 pm

Yeah, that makes it a lot trickier to walk away from an offer.

Outside of the huge hourly commitment, how are your feels on it?
Not exactly what I want to do but take it and use that year to strengthen and expand my network and continue looking for something else.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Take it.

It’s easier to find a job when you have a job... you’re in demand and hold the cards.