Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

People at GM were :triggered: that I had a C5. My old boss: "I'm paying you too much". Co workers: "did you get a promotion?" etc

I haven't told a sole at FCA that I have it. I've even walked out with coworkers to the parking lot after work and WALKED PAST my car so they don't know. I don't want to introduce :triggered: here too. I've heard many people here say "Corvette = Viper" which isn't even remotely true (my C5 is worth half what a same year Viper is).

People's perceptions are :fullretard:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:49 am People at GM were :triggered: that I had a C5. My old boss: "I'm paying you too much". Co workers: "did you get a promotion?" etc

I haven't told a sole at FCA that I have it. I've even walked out with coworkers to the parking lot after work and WALKED PAST my car so they don't know. I don't want to introduce :triggered: here too. I've heard many people here say "Corvette = Viper" which isn't even remotely true (my C5 is worth half what a same year Viper is).

Inb4 someone visits their :waxer: relatives in your neighborhood and see you outside washing your :poorvette: , new :jeep:, and :tits: new :truk: or Alfa

Oh and the $500 bottle your neighbor brought over the night before and left on your porch
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:01 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:49 am People at GM were :triggered: that I had a C5. My old boss: "I'm paying you too much". Co workers: "did you get a promotion?" etc

Inb4 someone visits their :waxer: relatives in your neighborhood and see you outside washing your :poorvette: , new :jeep:, and :tits: new :truk: or Alfa
That's what the new garagemahal is for, wash everything inside with all the privacy you want.
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh and the $500 bottle your neighbor brought over the night before and left on your porch
When I first started here, someone asked me where I lived and I told him. He went all :fancy: so now I tell people I live one city over that's more "basic".

I'm screwed if someone I work with happens to be in my hood. :lolol:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:04 am

That's what the new garagemahal is for, wash everything inside with all the privacy you want.
:notbad:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

thats :fullretard:

why not just tell them you got a good deal on it, and tell them c5 =15k thing these days?
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:08 am

why not just tell them you got a good deal on it, and tell them c5 =15k thing these days?
Because it gets old when EVERYONE goes :fancy: :triggered: Easier to just not bring it up.

There's a number of people I work with that are super into vehicles. I bet they'd think it's cool and get it...it'll probably come up in discussion at some point.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:06 am

When I first started here, someone asked me where I lived and I told him. He went all :fancy: so now I tell people I live one city over that's more "basic".

Same hood shouldn't be a problem right? Is assume you'd just nod in agreement that you'll both keep the secret safe.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:19 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:06 am

Same hood shouldn't be a problem right? Is assume you'd just nod in agreement that you'll both keep the secret safe.
Hopefully I won't have to find out.

What's funny is that I'm not particularly :waxer: just really good at chasing down deals.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:11 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:08 am

Because it gets old when EVERYONE goes :fancy: :triggered: Easier to just not bring it up.

There's a number of people I work with that are super into vehicles. I bet they'd think it's cool and get it...it'll probably come up in discussion at some point.
People just assume Corvettes are all stupid money to buy. You could roll around in a crossfire C4 and I bet dumbasses would still think you're a baller.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:29 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:11 am

People just assume Corvettes are all stupid money to buy. You could roll around in a crossfire C4 and I bet dumbasses would still think you're a baller.
Absolutely. :lolol:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:13 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:59 am

I mean, I like Porsches... but I’m from a blue collar family and my fiancée is too. The BMW has been bad enough. Also I imagine everyone you work with has more wealth than most where I work. It’s stupid to care but still annoying to have resentment based on what you drive.
Man I got this with just a fucking C5. A couple guys in the inspection department gave me problems in any way they could because "I was driving my dad's car" to work.

:disgust:

I can't imagine if I showed up in a 996 or gayman
Here the C5's and C6's are nothing special anymore and nobody pays them any attention. Most people see them as nothing more than an Acura Integra from the 90's. Once they started dipping into the $15k range years ago they started showing up in quantities at the high school parking lots.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ ... 98280.html

High miles, but :ellis: so :aintcare:

I actually got more negative comments on my C7's from people I work with, usually asking me "why didn't you buy a nice car, like an Audi or something?".
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:45 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:13 am

Man I got this with just a fucking C5. A couple guys in the inspection department gave me problems in any way they could because "I was driving my dad's car" to work.

:disgust:

I can't imagine if I showed up in a 996 or gayman
Here the C5's and C6's are nothing special anymore and nobody pays them any attention. Most people see them as nothing more than an Acura Integra from the 90's. Once they started dipping into the $15k range years ago they started showing up in quantities at the high school parking lots.

I actually got more negative comments on my C7's from people I work with, usually asking me "why didn't you buy a nice car, like an Audi or something?".
:lolol:

California is VERY different from the midwest and east coast.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I also work at the bluest of blue collar places. A sheet metal shop.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:47 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:45 am

People have 3M homes and 3k cars out here, and it’s very common. Especially in NorCal, SoCal is completely different on every level
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:49 am I also work at the bluest of blue collar places. A sheet metal shop.
So, the acceptable mode of transport is the county bus or chuck taylors?

:trollface:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:53 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:47 am

People have 3M homes and 3k cars out here, and it’s very common. Especially in NorCal, SoCal is completely different on every level
Yes, for the most part if you aren't a complete enthusiast or Tesla fanboi nobody cares what car you drive because we see Aventadors, 458s, 488s, GT2RS' and McLarens being tail gated by Nissan Sentras with 5 colors of body panels every day. $500 car w/o insurance driven by Paco 2 feet off a $400k car at 70 mph? Yeah, that's not a problem.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:53 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:49 am I also work at the bluest of blue collar places. A sheet metal shop.

One of the guys that have me shit has a GMC Terrain. A new one :derp:
Apex

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:13 pm

Because he clearly hates his life.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

With all the love for wagons, I figure I'll just drop this here:

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:13 pm

Makes sense now, any car that isn't bland = expensive car
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:47 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:24 am

Not everywhere is the Bay Area :lolol:

I find most people just are like “that’s cool” with the C5. Many are shocked it’s almost 20 years old.
That's how most people were, and asking genuine questions about it, but some people were actually butt hurt, and it just so happened to be people that can actually make things difficult for me here.

Now I really want a Porsche for a few days
Rent one off turo!
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:45 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:47 am

That's how most people were, and asking genuine questions about it, but some people were actually butt hurt, and it just so happened to be people that can actually make things difficult for me here.

Now I really want a Porsche for a few days
Rent one off turo!
Apex

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:04 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:45 pm

Rent one off turo!
Stop by The Little Speed Shop and ask for Frankie, tell him I sent you there and you'll show you some cool shit.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:19 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:04 pm
Stop by The Little Speed Shop and ask for Frankie, tell him I sent you there and you'll show you some cool shit.
They have a cars and coffee event but I'm usually working