Camper Chat 1.0

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I’d go cross country with a winnebagoy thing like that with a Jeep in tow. That would be awesome.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:31 pm I’d go cross country with a winnebagoy thing like that with a Jeep in tow. That would be awesome.
Pretty ideal, TBH.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

You guys have any strong opinions on sleeping pads? I need one or two. The one I had in AZ was a foam core / blow it up rest of the way rolly jawn REI branded thing. It worked I guess but I don't know if there is something better or not. No cot, not in the cards for my tent.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:09 am You guys have any strong opinions on sleeping pads? I need one or two. The one I had in AZ was a foam core / blow it up rest of the way rolly jawn REI branded thing. It worked I guess but I don't know if there is something better or not. No cot, not in the cards for my tent.
I've got a Coleman sleeping pad...sounds similar to the REI one you have. I like it just fine...I've slept on the ground many times with it. That thing on top of a cot is luxurious.

When I sleep on the ground, I like to put a few blankets down on the bottom of the tent to help keep the ground from being too cold. Then sleeping pad on top then me in sleeping bag. Comfy, warm, 5/7.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:25 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:09 am You guys have any strong opinions on sleeping pads? I need one or two. The one I had in AZ was a foam core / blow it up rest of the way rolly jawn REI branded thing. It worked I guess but I don't know if there is something better or not. No cot, not in the cards for my tent.
I've got a Coleman sleeping pad...sounds similar to the REI one you have. I like it just fine...I've slept on the ground many times with it. That thing on top of a cot is luxurious.

When I sleep on the ground, I like to put a few blankets down on the bottom of the tent to help keep the ground from being too cold. Then sleeping pad on top then me in sleeping bag. Comfy, warm, 5/7.
The blanket thing is a good pro tip for car camping. Thanks. Will look into that.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:notsure: if this is the right thread, butt fuck it.

Drove out to Cabela’s today and :troywax: on a new tent for the fam; North Face Wawona 6.
:excited: to get this setup prior to camping down in OC MD for Heep Week at the end of August.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:20 pm :notsure: if this is the right thread, butt fuck it.

Drove out to Cabela’s today and :troywax: on a new tent for the fam; North Face Wawona 6.
:excited: to get this setup prior to camping down in OC MD for Heep Week at the end of August.
You need a camping trip STAT dude!

:excited:
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:13 am
Apex wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:20 pm :notsure: if this is the right thread, butt fuck it.

You need a camping trip STAT dude!

:dat:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:56 pm Speaking of Basecamp, I want an Airstream Basecamp so badly...

Too bad it's like $40k. Yea, no.
yeah i was oogling them as well. Super awesome "less in more" approach but GOOD LORD they are pricey.

I went through this phase with the jeep, wanting to travel with a small light camper that could carry bicycles and maybe a small motorcycle. I found a frew interesting options but the finances always came back to not making sense.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

When looking, I really liked a few things. The thing for them to be avail locally was a huge perk but not of the really well designed/ :pinshit: things were local to check out.

https://happiercamper.com/hc1/

~$14k in base trim with a slew of add ons.

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

The Flagstaff E-Pro was really the only decent option I could check out and see locally.

https://berrylandcampers.com/trailers/t ... 1/overview

Its a boxy take on the classic tear drop. Can get it lifted for mild off road pulling

ChrisoftheNorth

I'm rather convinced that a cheap used pop up is the best way to get into campers. WAY more space than these little things, easier to tow, a fraction of the entry fee.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:38 am The Flagstaff E-Pro was really the only decent option I could check out and see locally.

Its a boxy take on the classic tear drop. Can get it lifted for mild off road pulling

I just don't see $18k worth of camper here. These things are :fullretard: price and you can't even stand up in it.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:47 am
dubshow wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:38 am The Flagstaff E-Pro was really the only decent option I could check out and see locally.

I just don't see $18k worth of camper here. These things are :fullretard: price and you can't even stand up in it.
my point exactly and why i never really made a move on it. They can be had around $12k tho. The sticker pricing is :ludacris: and the kinda of discounts avaialble for the camper/RV market are :derp:
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:49 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:47 am
my point exactly and why i never really made a move on it. They can be had around $12k tho. The sticker pricing is :ludacris: and the kinda of discounts avaialble for the camper/RV market are :derp:
$12k is still overpriced IMO.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:57 am
dubshow wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:49 am

yup, hence I dont own one.

Have you seen my boat thread? :dubshow:
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:58 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:57 am

Oh yes, it's 5/7.

Which is why I'm surprised you didn't end up with something like a used pop up.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:58 am
dubshow wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:58 am

Oh yes, it's 5/7.

He's waiting for a wrecked triple-slide fifth-wheel to pop up on copart or something. :lol: #rayrayshit
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:58 am
Oh yes, it's 5/7.

He's waiting for a wrecked triple-slide fifth-wheel to pop up on copart or something. :lol: #rayrayshit
Ahhh yes. That rayray lyfe.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:12 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:09 pm

Ahhh yes. That rayray lyfe.
:nope: :nope: :nope:
ChrisoftheNorth

Probably doesn't fit in here, but saw my dad's bus for the first time last night.

34' diesel pusher...3 slide-outs, the thing is roomy AF inside. Just as I've always :baby: about these things, it's no longer camping...it's really just taking your house to wherever you want and that's how he views it. He's excited to go anywhere and everywhere the thing will fit. I kind of get it now from that perspective.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:33 am Probably doesn't fit in here, but saw my dad's bus for the first time last night.

34' diesel pusher...3 slide-outs, the thing is roomy AF inside. Just as I've always :baby: about these things, it's no longer camping...it's really just taking your house to wherever you want and that's how he views it. He's excited to go anywhere and everywhere the thing will fit. I kind of get it now from that perspective.
Should use that to tow Camdalf to track events.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:34 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:33 am Probably doesn't fit in here, but saw my dad's bus for the first time last night.

10k lbs towing capacity, could do it ZFG.

:megusta:

Though, kind of like my dad, I've lost almost all interest in cars and track events. I do love driving, but there's other things I'd rather devote time to these days.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:50 am
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:34 am

Though, kind of like my dad, I've lost almost all interest in cars and track events. I do love driving, but there's other things I'd rather devote time to these days.
:word:

Creepin' through the woods during the day and hanging out by the campfire under a star-lit night sounds 5/7 these days.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:52 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:50 am

:word:

Creepin' through the woods during the day and hanging out by the campfire under a star-lit night sounds 5/7 these days.
Yep. Throw some MTB in there and I'm set.