OT 16: A pirate's life for me!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Mid year bonus. 2% but, I’ll take it. It’ll help with the move. Reached out to HR to see whether it’s 2% of my current salary or old salary that I had before May.

Either way it’ll be lookin to be around 1G as the median. I’ll take it
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Barnes93cb wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:39 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:34 am

Holy aesthetics!
#racecar
#shopcar
#+150hp
Moar pics of this car please
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:howdy:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:47 pm Mid year bonus. 2% but, I’ll take it. It’ll help with the move. Reached out to HR to see whether it’s 2% of my current salary or old salary that I had before May.

Either way it’ll be lookin to be around 1G as the median. I’ll take it
:nice:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Blurry pics from Michelle’s busted camera on her phone, but dude is home and happy (or happily drugged up). Looks funny with half of his neck/chest all shaved. The pacemaker is up in his neck under that green bandage. They have him set at 90bpm for now, and in a few months they’ll turn it down and set it so that when the heart needs more it’ll bump up accordingly. Pretty crazy stuff. They didn’t clear the blockage, just installed this to help his heart function.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:24 am Image

Blurry pics from Michelle’s busted camera on her phone, but dude is home and happy (or happily drugged up). Looks funny with half of his neck/chest all shaved. The pacemaker is up in his neck under that green bandage. They have him set at 90bpm for now, and in a few months they’ll turn it down and set it so that when the heart needs more it’ll bump up accordingly. Pretty crazy stuff. They didn’t clear the blockage, just installed this to help his heart function.
Oh wow, I had no idea that they did this with :doge:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:24 am Image

:mindblown: that vets can do this these days. Glad to see him home doe!
SAWCE

Yeah it’s pretty wild. Wasn’t an ordinary vet, ours couldn’t even diagnose the problem even though they listened to his heart every time we brought him in for the problem. They just said his pulse is low but that it wasn’t an issue. UC Davis has a facility out here and that’s where he got his surgery :waxer:
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:33 am Yeah it’s pretty wild. Wasn’t an ordinary vet, ours couldn’t even diagnose the problem even though they listened to his heart every time we brought him in for the problem. They just said his pulse is low but that it wasn’t an issue. UC Davis has a facility out here and that’s where he got his surgery :waxer:
:impressive:

Here's hoping this fixes it!

That would concern me the most...animals can't communicate what's wrong, so a lot of times it's a guessing game. There's a real chance that $8k plus all the stress on the animal was for nothing.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:38 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:33 am Yeah it’s pretty wild. Wasn’t an ordinary vet, ours couldn’t even diagnose the problem even though they listened to his heart every time we brought him in for the problem. They just said his pulse is low but that it wasn’t an issue. UC Davis has a facility out here and that’s where he got his surgery :waxer:

That would concern me the most...animals can't communicate what's wrong, so a lot of times it's a guessing game. There's a real chance that $8k plus all the stress on the animal was for nothing.
:notwrong:

One of the doctors at Michelle’s job told her that and she came home crying on Monday worried that Kai was going to die despite everything she did for him. She addressed some concerns with the surgeon and doctors at Davis and they were able to give her some reassurance and make her feel better yesterday. Who knows how long he’ll last after this, hopefully at least 5 years, but either way she gets the comfort of knowing she did what she could.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:42 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:38 am

One of the doctors at Michelle’s job told her that and she came home crying on Monday worried that Kai was going to die despite everything she did for him. She addressed some concerns with the surgeon and doctors at Davis and they were able to give her some reassurance and make her feel better yesterday. Who knows how long he’ll last after this, hopefully at least 5 years, but either way she gets the comfort of knowing she did what she could.
And if that's what makes her happy, then great.

Still, it's a gamble.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:44 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:42 am

And if that's what makes her happy, then great.

Still, it's a gamble.
:word:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

My incoming flight left Greece 2 hours late, but somehow is still scheduled to land on time... :notsure:
SAWCE

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:17 am My incoming flight left Greece 2 hours late, but somehow is still scheduled to land on time... :notsure:
:plaid: :plaid: :plaid:
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:42 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:36 pm

But at $60 a year they’d likely sell more memberships which would lower that threshold. Doesn’t cost them more to have more people streaming from their satellites.
Yea, I don't understand why they don't lower the price to get more people subscribing. Is there a point of critical mass where the satellites can't stream to everyone?
There is a point in which you can no longer spread the bandwidth to enough users. We would begin to drag the entire system down. But what that threshold is, I do not know. It may be a million users, it may be 10k people. Ultimately it will depend on how much money the spent in building their network.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:28 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:42 pm
Yea, I don't understand why they don't lower the price to get more people subscribing. Is there a point of critical mass where the satellites can't stream to everyone?
There is a point in which you can no longer spread the bandwidth to enough users. We would begin to drag the entire system down. But what that threshold is, I do not know. It may be a million users, it may be 10k people. Ultimately it will depend on how much money the spent in building their network.
I don't think that is how it works.... i think there is minimal coms with the satellite itself and its just beaming down data.

lets find out

wiki says s-band, 12.5 mhz, way too little bandwidth...

people on the internet say this and it makes the most sense
Your radio can't transmit, but it can, obviously, receive. In addition to the satellite signal, it can receive a message telling it whether it should decode the signal or not. Since the company has your receiver's serial number, they can disable it by simply transmitting a signal to it via the satellite telling it that it's disabled. They can then re-enable it the same way.

That is, I believe, how satellite TV systems work, too.
They are pretty secretive about this, but at a high level, encryption is behind this, and is used in a couple of different ways.

The main program material (the stuff you want to listen to) is encrypted using a secret key (code). Your receiver can only decrypt the main program if it knows what this key is. Let's call this the "program key".

Although every authorized receiver knows what the program key is, the program key is changed frequently. In order to keep working, your receiver has to find out somehow what the new program key is, every time it changes.

Your receiver has another secret key built into its hardware. Let's call this the "receiver key". It is different in every receiver. The XM service can encrypt a message using your receiver key, and only your receiver will be able to decrypt and make sense of that message.

This is how your receiver finds out what the program key is. The program key is included in the signal, but never "in the clear". It's encrypted by each authorized receiver's key in turn. If there are 1 million authorized receivers, the broadcast key will be sent 1 million times in a loop, each time encrypted by a different receiver's key.

Your receiver won't be able to make sense of 999,999 of those messages, but one of them will be encrypted using your receiver's key. Your receiver can decrypt that one, and since the message contains the program key, your receiver now knows what that is and will keep working.

To de-authorize your receiver, all they have to do is stop transmitting the message that is encrypted with your receiver's key. Then next time the program key changes, your receiver won't have a way to find out what it is, and will stop working because it doesn't have the right key to decrypt the program material any more.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Funemployment begins today!

Refinery is donezo. Everyone getting laid off and its closing.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:06 pm Funemployment begins today!

:idbu: :idbu: :idbu:
:idbu: :wasteful: :idbu:
:idbu: :idbu: :idbu:
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

:ohdang:
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:07 pm
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

https://www.inquirer.com/business/phila ... 90626.html

oh dang, maybe not
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

That is going to do wonders for local fuel prices. :disappoint:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philadelp ... 90621.html

:wasteful: why the fuck did you not tell us about this?!?!?! I hear it was the alky unit that went boom?
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

:ohdang: