Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:09 pm
If a pet is a must, absolutely.
Just enough interaction to keep you grounded but otherwise we just look at each other with disgust from across the room and that's enough. :pussy:
My cat loves to hate me.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:21 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:06 am

With sites like bringfido.com it makes travelling with the :doge: a lot easier. Can find hotels/rentals/restaurants etc. that are all :doge: friendly.
Interesting. Will check that out!

Still, restricting where you can go based on the :doge: is not great. I'm all about freedumbs.
We've found a couple really cool hole-in-the-wall type places using that when we travel. Much better than hitting a MacDoe or something while road tripping.
Not saying you aren't restricted, just trying to open up some options. :like:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:21 am
Interesting. Will check that out!

Still, restricting where you can go based on the :doge: is not great. I'm all about freedumbs.
We've found a couple really cool hole-in-the-wall type places using that when we travel. Much better than hitting a MacDoe or something while road tripping.
Not saying you aren't restricted, just trying to open up some options. :like:
Yea, that's awesome! Thanks for the heads-up.

We usually pack our own food for road trips and just eat with the :doge: at a rest stop or something. But that's partially because we don't want to leaver her alone in the truck for too long if it's hot/cold/whatever.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:43 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:03 pm

:wat:
Dammit, not all of us DINKS have pets, Dirk.
Bullshit Bugs Bunny
Haven't owned a rabbit for going on 9 years now.

:micdrop:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Further evidence of how nutty this housing market is: A house popped up yesterday morning that my wife and I really like. We had a showing at 6pm and they already had two offers. My fraternity brother happens to live on the block and told me the better of the two was for $17k over asking on a $479k listing, which they accepted at noon today. Pending in 24 hours at 3.5% over ask. Bonkers.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:21 pm Further evidence of how nutty this housing market is: A house popped up yesterday morning that my wife and I really like. We had a showing at 6pm and they already had two offers. My fraternity brother happens to live on the block and told me the better of the two was for $17k over asking on a $479k listing, which they accepted at noon today. Pending in 24 hours at 3.5% over ask. Bonkers.
:fullretard:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:23 pm :fullretard:
No joke. Pretty bummed about this one, actually. This house checked every box and was within budget. :sad:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:21 pm Further evidence of how nutty this housing market is: A house popped up yesterday morning that my wife and I really like. We had a showing at 6pm and they already had two offers. My fraternity brother happens to live on the block and told me the better of the two was for $17k over asking on a $479k listing, which they accepted at noon today. Pending in 24 hours at 3.5% over ask. Bonkers.
What does $479 get you in Indy?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:30 pm What does $479 get you in Indy?
Totally depends on where you are. In my neighborhood, anymore it'll buy you a nice, updated 3 bedroom and maybe 2,000 square feet above ground. If you want anything bigger for that price it's going to need work, most likely.

Not far from me -
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 19?view=qv

We love the area, but wanting at least one more kid and having family from out of town coming to visit all the time, it'd really be nice to have more space. This is the house we were looking at - https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 74?view=qv

:fap:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

:fap:

That second one is :nice:
ChrisoftheNorth

Honestly, if you're serious about moving, you need to find a realtor who's really plugged into these listings so YOU can be the people putting the offers in as soon as it lists. That's the only way to get the best houses, and you have to have all your shit lined up so you can pull the trigger in an instant.

It sucks, but it's the way the market is anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:59 pm Honestly, if you're serious about moving, you need to find a realtor who's really plugged into these listings so YOU can be the people putting the offers in as soon as it lists. That's the only way to get the best houses, and you have to have all your shit lined up so you can pull the trigger in an instant.

Half a million bucks for a house in suburban Indiana. The tide has risen nationwide.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:59 pm Honestly, if you're serious about moving, you need to find a realtor who's really plugged into these listings so YOU can be the people putting the offers in as soon as it lists. That's the only way to get the best houses, and you have to have all your shit lined up so you can pull the trigger in an instant.

Agree, we just haven't been serious about moving. We weren't preapproved, didn't have a search set up, nothing. We got our first house exactly as you describe, we were in on the first day, wrote up an offer right after the showing and bullied our way to the top out of six offers they got on that first day.

It's just that that very house checked every box and I wasn't even really seriously considering a move until that one popped up. Lesson learned - we're going to get preapproved and keep it renewed, and be ready to jump on the next one if it pops up.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:06 pm

Half a million bucks for a house in suburban Indiana. The tide has risen nationwide.
Just like any metro area, there are nice areas and not so nice areas. From the looks of these listings, they're targeting the nice areas of Suburban Indiana...which just like Detroit, has gone up.

I can still buy a house for $30k in the city of Detroit. I don't want to, but I can. Upward mobility of us entering our prime earning years skew the perspective of this forum a bit.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:06 pm Half a million bucks for a house in suburban Indiana. The tide has risen nationwide.
:yeahok: You can spend a fuck-ton more than that if you want to.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:17 pm Just like any metro area, there are nice areas and not so nice areas. From the looks of these listings, they're targeting the nice areas of Suburban Indiana...which just like Detroit, has gone up.

I can still buy a house for $30k in the city of Detroit. I don't want to, but I can. Upward mobility of us entering our prime earning years skew the perspective of this forum a bit.
:dat:

You can go to the nice 'burbs or some of the nice older parts of Indianapolis and easily spend $1M up to $2.5M if you want to. Or you can go to the hood and get a shithole for $30k.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:16 pm

Agree, we just haven't been serious about moving. We weren't preapproved, didn't have a search set up, nothing. We got our first house exactly as you describe, we were in on the first day, wrote up an offer right after the showing and bullied our way to the top out of six offers they got on that first day.

It's just that that very house checked every box and I wasn't even really seriously considering a move until that one popped up. Lesson learned - we're going to get preapproved and keep it renewed, and be ready to jump on the next one if it pops up.
Something similar happened to us. No serious interest in moving, saw a house we liked a lot but had nothing lined up, so we lost it before even being able to make an offer. We stepped our game up after that for the "just in case". Took us 6 months, but when the house came up, we were in the position to jump on it.

Making friends with a realtor and a mortgage person is HUGE. I called my mortgage guy who's a buddy of mine at 10:30pm the night we wanted to submit an offer for a revised preapproval letter, and he hooked me up.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:17 pm Just like any metro area, there are nice areas and not so nice areas. From the looks of these listings, they're targeting the nice areas of Suburban Indiana...which just like Detroit, has gone up.

:dat:

You can go to the nice 'burbs or some of the nice older parts of Indianapolis and easily spend $1M up to $2.5M if you want to. Or you can go to the hood and get a shithole for $30k.
Same as here. Kind of crazy separation when you think about it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:22 pm Same as here. Kind of crazy separation when you think about it.
No joke.

Just a cool $5.8M :fancy:
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 6281-63310

Or...how much do you value your life?
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 11?view=qv
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:19 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:06 pm Half a million bucks for a house in suburban Indiana. The tide has risen nationwide.
Understood. I'm just saying the basic monthly nut for a decent place almost anywhere is not really single wage earner kind of proposition.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:36 pm

Understood. I'm just saying the basic monthly nut for a decent place almost anywhere is not really single wage earner kind of proposition.
Sunddenly swamplandia has :scrooge: appeal
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:04 pm

Sunddenly swamplandia has :scrooge: appeal
That and the Dakotas may be the last vestige of affordable housing in America.
ChrisoftheNorth

Nah, there's plenty of "decent" places around the Detroit area that a single earner making 60-80k can afford a house. If I wasn't married, I'd live in one of those places and :troywax: my life away. :tits: doesn't settle for "decent". We need to be in the :fancy: areas, which we are.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I installed a Nest Thermostat a few days ago. I really like it and am getting a $50 rebate from my e-company. I also have it interfacing with Alexa which is pretty :neat:

My son and I tackled changing out our garbage disposal tonight. What a nightmare. I am still pretty weak from the surgery and Murphy's Law was in fine form, as it usually is when I do repairs that I have never done before. Took 6 effing hours but damned if we didn't get it done.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Summer is making the :haus: :plac: flare up. 80F indoor temps are :disgust:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 9330-71857

Real garage and AC with the "low" blessed tax rate of 3.2% vs 4.5% in Corning. 35 minute commute and an even smaller town :doe:

:fullretard: