How life sucked donkey balls today: the :eeyore : thread

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:00 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:58 am

It didn't set OBDII readiness. I did clear the codes like 10 minutes before so that might be why.
:rolleyes: I really don't miss smog testing at all.
breh, adding to the long fucking list of reasons to :nope: to Tennessee. Need to get back on that resume.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:00 pm
:rolleyes: I really don't miss smog testing at all.
breh, adding to the long fucking list of reasons to :nope: to Tennessee. Need to get back on that resume.
Yes. Yes you do. Tennessee is the promised land.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

fuckign usless idiot downstairs scheduled me for the wrong fucking training this am
so i have to GO BACK and do it AGAIN

:rage:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:06 pm fuckign usless idiot downstairs scheduled me for the wrong fucking training this am
so i have to GO BACK and do it AGAIN

:rage:
Tacos bro...they'll get you though.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Damn son. Come to Lafayette. We got flooding too!
But no emissions. It'll feel like home because you can keep your humidity.
Acid666

Here's how my whole weekend was ruined!
Took off half the day Friday to start replacing the bushings in the wife's Kia that's clankety clanking. Read up on it, should just drop the trailing arm and keep it all connected to the car... push it out. I figured this would be difficult, but didn't want to disconnect the brake lines and have to bleed them.

Start on it. No bueno. Decide to remove the whole trailing arm/rear suspension from the car. Which means I need to disconnect the parking brake. Which means I have to completely disassemble the rear drum brakes.
OH FUN!
It's out, then I learn that I've pretty much got to destroy this thing to remove it. Sledgehammer, chisels, air chisels. Lots of cursing, lots of HEAT. It's finally out. I'm going to take it to a shop tomorrow to get them to press it back in. And to swap the other one. I'm done with dealing with that shit.

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Dp
Last edited by KYGTIGuy on Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Acid666 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:16 pm Here's how my whole weekend was ruined!
Took off half the day Friday to start replacing the bushings in the wife's Kia that's clankety clanking. Read up on it, should just drop the trailing arm and keep it all connected to the car... push it out. I figured this would be difficult, but didn't want to disconnect the brake lines and have to bleed them.

Start on it. No bueno. Decide to remove the whole trailing arm/rear suspension from the car. Which means I need to disconnect the parking brake. Which means I have to completely disassemble the rear drum brakes.
OH FUN!
It's out, then I learn that I've pretty much got to destroy this thing to remove it. Sledgehammer, chisels, air chisels. Lots of cursing, lots of HEAT. It's finally out. I'm going to take it to a shop tomorrow to get them to press it back in. And to swap the other one. I'm done with dealing with that shit.

Christ
Acid666

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:33 pm
Acid666 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:16 pm Here's how my whole weekend was ruined!

OH FUN!

Christ

Oh I just realized that I didn't update this.
Monday I took the whole axle torsion assembly to my local go to shop down the road. Drop it off at 8am and say I need one removed, and both pressed in. They call at lunch and say they can't get it in their machine.
This is a pretty well equipped shop, so if they can't do it then I'm starting to get worried about the money pit I just dove into.

Take it to a local trailer and truck accessory shop by my work since I figure they press in bearings and all sorts of axle shit for big trucks. No bueno. They say the dealer should be able to handle that, or Lafayette Spring should be able to (another local shop that does big rig 18 wheeler suspensions and shit).

Take it to the spring shop, no go. They can't do anything that small.

Take it to the fucking dealer. Fucking Kia. Girl at the service counter is all "SURE! WE CAN GET THAT IN FOR YOU! It'S A KiA ParT? Wait, Wat is tHaT?"
Yeah, What is that. When she asked it told me that they don't get people coming in asking for this shit. I ask for her to get a tech to talk to. She comes back with the tech, immediately his face cringes and I say
"The look on your face tells me everything I need to know"
"Torsion Axle bushing?"
"yup"
"mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. I hate to say it but we usually just replace the whole damn thing when those go out"
"That's what the internet tells me."

So I'm pissed at that point because this whole rear is $670 from the dealer, but I can get it for about $500-550 online elsewhere. I message the shop that did the tune on my Z06 and ask if he can help. Tells me to bring it by after work. I go by, he looks at it, we fucking handstand the motherfucker up in the air to get our angle right and then he gets it in with his 20ton hydraulic press. No idea why no other shop is capable of getting 2 burly ass men to just hold it up while another hits a button and keeps it lined up. You're all failures in my book. The airboat shop gave zero fucks and got it in easy.
I forgot to mention that the ID of the arm is Ø2.750, and the OD of the bushing was Ø2.770. Fucking .020 thou over. That's a hell of an interference fit. But that press got it installed in under 10 seconds. Tipped my buddy $20 and worked from about 7-11pm at night to get it installed. Still need to bleed the brakes more but it's done.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:50 pm

Christ

Monday I took the whole axle torsion assembly to my local go to shop down the road. Drop it off at 8am and say I need one removed, and both pressed in. They call at lunch and say they can't get it in their machine.
This is a pretty well equipped shop, so if they can't do it then I'm starting to get worried about the money pit I just dove into.

Take it to a local trailer and truck accessory shop by my work since I figure they press in bearings and all sorts of axle shit for big trucks. No bueno. They say the dealer should be able to handle that, or Lafayette Spring should be able to (another local shop that does big rig 18 wheeler suspensions and shit).

Take it to the fucking dealer. Fucking Kia. Girl at the service counter is all "SURE! WE CAN GET THAT IN FOR YOU! It'S A KiA ParT? Wait, Wat is tHaT?"
Yeah, What is that. When she asked it told me that they don't get people coming in asking for this shit. I ask for her to get a tech to talk to. She comes back with the tech, immediately his face cringes and I say
"Torsion Axle bushing?"
"yup"
"mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. I hate to say it but we usually just replace the whole damn thing when those go out"

So I'm pissed at that point because this whole rear is $670 from the dealer, but I can get it for about $500-550 online elsewhere. I message the shop that did the tune on my Z06 and ask if he can help. Tells me to bring it by after work. I go by, he looks at it, we fucking handstand the motherfucker up in the air to get our angle right and then he gets it in with his 20ton hydraulic press. No idea why no other shop is capable of getting 2 burly ass men to just hold it up while another hits a button and keeps it lined up. You're all failures in my book. The airboat shop gave zero fucks and got it in easy.
I forgot to mention that the ID of the arm is Ø2.750, and the OD of the bushing was Ø2.770. Fucking .020 thou over. That's a hell of an interference fit. But that press got it installed in under 10 seconds. Tipped my buddy $20 and worked from about 7-11pm at night to get it installed. Still need to bleed the brakes more but it's done.
I deal with bearing and races with japanese tolerances like that, i emery the surface and lube it up before beating it together with a brass hammer but a bearing warmer/heater is the right answer. Get one part red hot, and :doit:
Acid666

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:56 pm I deal with bearing and races with japanese tolerances like that, i emery the surface and lube it up before beating it together with a brass hammer but a bearing warmer/heater is the right answer. Get one part red hot, and :doit:
I debated on this but read that it's possible to overdo it and mess up the alignment due to warping. I shoved the bushing in the freezer overnight, but to get it to shrink any significant amount would likely require me to have to get to sub zero temps.

With my work I'm used to speccing out tolerancing for shafts here and there ( https://www.amesweb.info/FitTolerance/F ... GDFhxaIiOD ) and +.020" just seemed crazy to me. When I pulled that dimension from the bushing my heart just sank because I figured only a manufacturing plant would be capable of pressing that shit in part after part after part. But I was apparently wrong.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:06 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:56 pm I deal with bearing and races with japanese tolerances like that, i emery the surface and lube it up before beating it together with a brass hammer but a bearing warmer/heater is the right answer. Get one part red hot, and :doit:
I debated on this but read that it's possible to overdo it and mess up the alignment due to warping. I shoved the bushing in the freezer overnight, but to get it to shrink any significant amount would likely require me to have to get to sub zero temps.

With my work I'm used to speccing out tolerancing for shafts here and there ( https://www.amesweb.info/FitTolerance/F ... GDFhxaIiOD ) and +.020" just seemed crazy to me. When I pulled that dimension from the bushing my heart just sank because I figured only a manufacturing plant would be capable of pressing that shit in part after part after part. But I was apparently wrong.
Or you could airboat some custom clamp/vice with flame throwers and digi-micrometer control mechanism and just do it in your garage but I understand if it is "too hard" due to humidity or whatever.

:trollface:
Last edited by Tar on Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acid666

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:13 pm
Acid666 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:06 pm

Or you could airboat some custom clamp/vife with flame throwers and digi-micrometer control mechanism and just do it in your garage but I understand if it is "too hard" due to humidity or whatever.

Humidity is pretty bad lately. Last time :melon: was here to for an autocross he did a buncha car shit in my garage and nearly died.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:14 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:13 pm

Or you could airboat some custom clamp/vife with flame throwers and digi-micrometer control mechanism and just do it in your garage but I understand if it is "too hard" due to humidity or whatever.

Humidity is pretty bad lately. Last time :melon: was here to for an autocross he did a buncha car shit in my garage and nearly died.
Imagine pumping A/C through a window unit into your garage space...you mofos would be building rockets that make Putin blush. :like:
Acid666

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:17 pm
Acid666 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:14 pm

Imagine pumping A/C through a window unit into your garage space...you mofos would be building rockets that make Putin blush. :like:
Hold my beer

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:26 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:17 pm

Hold my beer

:amazing:

Needs more POWAHHH :doe:

A little more A/C and another bucket of JB Weld and you guys will be flying over the moon in style like its not big thang! 😎

All joking aside, you guys are :fuckyeah: with your side projects.
Acid666

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:34 pm :amazing:

A little more A/C and another bucket of JB Weld and you guys will be flying over the moon in style like its not big thang! 😎

When my AC went out last summer I bought this lil small ass window unit to throw in the master bedroom for the wife (and cats). After a while I figured I'd just throw it in the garage. It helps, but doesn't effectively really do much other than suck the humidity out of the garage and lower it a couple of degrees. The plans for this are to slap it on the Catio when we build it (enclosing a 16X10' patio area).
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:38 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:34 pm :amazing:

When my AC went out last summer I bought this lil small ass window unit to throw in the master bedroom for the wife (and cats). After a while I figured I'd just throw it in the garage. It helps, but doesn't effectively really do much other than suck the humidity out of the garage and lower it a couple of degrees. The plans for this are to slap it on the Catio when we build it (enclosing a 16X10' patio area).
:melon: :disappoint: :sweaty: :balls:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Christ

"Torsion Axle bushing?"
"yup"

fuuuuuuuu

:fshitup:

I feel for you man. Throw whole beam away is not acceptable for bushing replacement....
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

It's true, I was sweating profusely.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Christ

"Torsion Axle bushing?"
"yup"

holy hell.

Yea, dont pay people to press things. Have a friend with a press. I had a bad experience once.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:46 pm
holy hell.

Yea, dont pay people to press things. Have a friend with a press. I had a bad experience once.
I almost got the Harbor Freight press a while back but my friend's dad has one, and I realized that I'd have to have a good place to put it. My garage is slowly getting crammed in with engine parts for this Miata 1.8 rebuild, so I didn't want to add clutter. But I think I'll eventually get one when I build my shop space because it'll be one of those invaluable things to have. Even if it's just a Hazard Fraught one. It's a bottle jack with a stand, so I'm not gonna pay out the ass for one. The one the shop had was powered by air and man, that bitch worked like a charm. It's one of those things where you're like "Man this thing is so handy, but I'd only use it once a year".
So down the road I'll get one, along with some other big dog tools.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:34 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:46 pm
holy hell.

I almost got the Harbor Freight press a while back but my friend's dad has one, and I realized that I'd have to have a good place to put it. My garage is slowly getting crammed in with engine parts for this Miata 1.8 rebuild, so I didn't want to add clutter. But I think I'll eventually get one when I build my shop space because it'll be one of those invaluable things to have. Even if it's just a Hazard Fraught one. It's a bottle jack with a stand, so I'm not gonna pay out the ass for one. The one the shop had was powered by air and man, that bitch worked like a charm. It's one of those things where you're like "Man this thing is so handy, but I'd only use it once a year".
So down the road I'll get one, along with some other big dog tools.
yea, thats the rub in a nutshell.
brain go brrrrrr
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Back to work today and it's my brother's last day in town. He flies back to Florida tomorrow morning. Pretty damn bummed I miss my lil bro
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:40 am Back to work today and it's my brother's last day in town. He flies back to Florida tomorrow morning. Pretty damn bummed I miss my lil bro
Dang, that sucks.

My lil bro just got a jerb as district manager of AutoZone in Charlotte so he won't be close anymore.