Kamry XSE impressions and further updates

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:53 pm
Every single fucking person that contacted me about that car asked if it had service records EVERY ONE. It got old, and that was a modded to shit $8k racecar.

I had a dude fucking pay for a PPI...then bailed after getting the report because the timing cover was cracked and the power steering rack had signs of WHEEPING (not a leak). The shop went as far as saying it was one of the nicest kept 944's they've had. He paid $500 for the PPI to be performed on an $8k car and walked. :wat: I can't imagine what it would be like when selling a car for 3x the price.

I'm telling you man, selling a Porsche BLOWS. It was the worst selling experience I've ever had. Those people are :fullretard:
:amazing: that's is fucking retarded... I may not venture down this path then. :wtf:
I absolutely would not buy a Porsche with the expectation of selling it (ever) if I didn't:

a.)service it at a dealer or reputable shop for everything

or

b.)expect to take a major bath on it.

It's stupid man. Fun cars, but the people buying used ones are insane.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

AND, I had 15 years of service records on the car from the previous owner (dude paid a shop to do EVERYTHING). I had it for a year and a half, serviced it myself, and people were put off by the 1.5 year gap.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:58 pm AND, I had 15 years of service records on the car from the previous owner (dude paid a shop to do EVERYTHING). I had it for a year and a half, serviced it myself, and people were put off by the 1.5 year gap.
I don't understand this... especially on the cheap vehicles, I mean the porsches people post about on here (sub 20k vehicles) have no records, shit maintenance etc. Who in their right mind services a $10k vehicle at a :dillerman: that charges 10% of its value on an oil change.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:46 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:41 pm

Yeah.

I think if you get the Porsche you'd be wise parking off lot and tell the boss you're taking public transit.
I haven't told a sole at my current company that I have a Corvette. Luckily, I have to park in a separate lot for "competitive" cars, so even when walking out with co-workers they can't see. I almost had to drive someone to lunch a few weeks back but conveniently "forgot my keys" at my desk.

They think I drive the Volt or ZR2 everyday.
?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:58 pm AND, I had 15 years of service records on the car from the previous owner (dude paid a shop to do EVERYTHING). I had it for a year and a half, serviced it myself, and people were put off by the 1.5 year gap.
I don't understand this... especially on the cheap vehicles, I mean the porsches people post about on here (sub 20k vehicles) have no records, shit maintenance etc. Who in their right mind services a $10k vehicle at a :dillerman: that charges 10% of its value on an oil change.
The expectation seems to be that as the car ages, you should take it to a reputable independent shop to have service done by experts yet keep the cost down.

We post listings for cars all the time without maintenance records (or maybe they do have them, who knows), we have no idea what the seller is putting up with on their end. I do because I'm the only one on here that I know of who sold a Porsche. And a cheap one at that. Fled has confirmed from his experience too.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:06 pm

The expectation seems to be that as the car ages, you should take it to a reputable independent shop to have service done by experts yet keep the cost down.

We post listings for cars all the time without maintenance records (or maybe they do have them, who knows), we have no idea what the seller is putting up with on their end. I do because I'm the only one on here that I know of who sold a Porsche. And a cheap one at that. Fled has confirmed from his experience too.
:hai: 968 seller checking in.
max225

Fled is dealing with :derp: 's that buy them new and have no issues with the $2999.95 30k mile services because they are "80k" vehicles or whatever new.

I would think the "type" of person buying a 10 year old one or whatever would be different. But yea, I mean I would prefer to buy one with Dealer records but if I talk to a guy that has done it himself and he has kept a record of it, It wouldn't deter me.

I find cayman S's VERY hard to find...
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:46 pm
I haven't told a sole at my current company that I have a Corvette. Luckily, I have to park in a separate lot for "competitive" cars, so even when walking out with co-workers they can't see. I almost had to drive someone to lunch a few weeks back but conveniently "forgot my keys" at my desk.

They think I drive the Volt or ZR2 everyday.
?
All parking near the building is reserved for FCA products. If you don't drive an FCA product, you have to park in the far parking lots. I don't care because I'm fat and need the walk.

If you try parking your non-FCA product in FCA product parking, security boots the vehicle, and you need to walk to the security office (which is at least a mile away on campus), get a stern talking to, then they remove the boot. If this happens enough, I've heard you can be terminated...though I think that's just urban legend.

GM did this too in certain areas, though they never did the booting. I'm not sure it was ever really enforced.

I find it :impressive: that they go through such lengths here. Guess they expect you to do you part contributing to the bottom line...in addition to doing a good job.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:09 pm

Oh, right! How did it go selling that turd?
ChrisoftheNorth

Jalopnik even did a thing on this when David Tracy worked at FCA:

https://jalopnik.com/dear-car-companies ... 1746653093
max225

Btw... a 2016 340i is cheaper than a 2016 golf r or a 2016 focus RS :wtf:
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:11 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:09 pm

It was a trip... as you said, everyone (except the guy I sold it to) wanted service records up front. Being a college kid, I didn't have records from :dillerman: just the indy stuff that the PO gave me and some stuff that I had done at a reputable indy shop who happened to be local to me.

This was also for a $8k track car that had no interior, no ac, no door windows, race seats, rollbar, harnesses, etc. I dropped the price enough to get a guy who didn't demand everything that everyone else was. He shipped me some home-made door covers so the car would be sealed up during transport and that was that.

Oh right, it also had 190k miles on it too.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Do MK7 (not 7.5) R’s come with 6spd DSG or 7? New GTI’s (2019+) and R’s (2018+) gave 7 speed DSG’s which also require maintenance every 80k instead of 40k. Coupled with a transferable 6 year, 72k B2B & PT warranty, there may be deals to be had. I’ve heard of many dealers being way more friendly to negotiation and money on hood on new R’s compared to years past, because now VW does “Spektrum” R’s and dealer’s are getting their markup :dedong: planted on those who want a unique colored R versus a normal paint color.

Check into a CPO 18?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:11 pm
It was a trip... as you said, everyone (except the guy I sold it to) wanted service records up front. Being a college kid, I didn't have records from :dillerman: just the indy stuff that the PO gave me and some stuff that I had done at a reputable indy shop who happened to be local to me.

This was also for a $8k track car that had no interior, no ac, no door windows, race seats, rollbar, harnesses, etc. I dropped the price enough to get a guy who didn't demand everything that everyone else was. He shipped me some home-made door covers so the car would be sealed up during transport and that was that.

I think I have PTSD now.

My car ended up selling to a flipper after months of people balking and bailing at the 1.5 years of missing records. He listed it on eBay the week after he bought it, with a photo of all the service records from the previous owner fanned out on the hood...claiming "full service records", which was obviously a lie.

For some odd reason, the autocheck report on eBay was showing the car was in an accident at some point. That didn't show up on the carfax I ran when I bought it, and I know I never had it in an accident. Car showed no evidence anywhere of repaint or crash. He even pleaded in the listing that the autocheck was wrong and took photos of the Carfax I had provided him. He ended up selling it for less than I solid it to him for as a result. Karma, bitch.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:28 pm

I think I have PTSD now.

My car ended up selling to a flipper after months of people balking and bailing at the 1.5 years of missing records. He listed it on eBay the week after he bought it, with a photo of all the service records from the previous owner fanned out on the hood...claiming "full service records", which was obviously a lie.

For some odd reason, the autocheck report on eBay was showing the car was in an accident at some point. That didn't show up on the carfax I ran when I bought it, and I know I never had it in an accident. Car showed no evidence anywhere of repaint or crash. He even pleaded in the listing that the autocheck was wrong and took photos of the Carfax I had provided him. He ended up selling it for less than I solid it to him for as a result. Karma, bitch.
:lolol: Serves him right.
Apex

That being said, would I buy another P-car? Absolutely! I love those stupid things, and if the right opportunity presented itself I'd get another one.

P-car people are weird, but I liked most of the ones I dealt with.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:10 pm

?
All parking near the building is reserved for FCA products. If you don't drive an FCA product, you have to park in the far parking lots. I don't care because I'm fat and need the walk.

If you try parking your non-FCA product in FCA product parking, security boots the vehicle, and you need to walk to the security office (which is at least a mile away on campus), get a stern talking to, then they remove the boot. If this happens enough, I've heard you can be terminated...though I think that's just urban legend.

GM did this too in certain areas, though they never did the booting. I'm not sure it was ever really enforced.

I find it :impressive: that they go through such lengths here. Guess they expect you to do you part contributing to the bottom line...in addition to doing a good job.
In college I worked a summer at the GM truck plant in Fort Wayne and it was like that. I had my Grand Prix at the time and could park in the lot closest to the building, but all non-GM cars had to park in the lot maybe 2 tenths of a mile down at the end of the building closest to the highway. No idea if it was ever enforced, though, either.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I think I have PTSD now.

Fuck I'm having PTSD from these stories and I've never owned a Porsche.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

?

Good stuff. Luckily your car company offers epic amounts of meathead products with which to conform.
razr390

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:36 pm
I think I have PTSD now.

Fuck I'm having PTSD from these stories and I've never owned a Porsche.
When :waxer: sells his P-car he’ll post “I have the service records somewhere buried in this wall of knife boxes and my entire gun safe/ammo storage. Do you REALLY want the records or can you do without?
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:31 pm That being said, would I buy another P-car? Absolutely! I love those stupid things, and if the right opportunity presented itself I'd get another one.

P-car people are weird, but I liked most of the ones I dealt with.
Same...I'd just have a better expectation of what it's like to sell one.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:35 pm

In college I worked a summer at the GM truck plant in Fort Wayne and it was like that. I had my Grand Prix at the time and could park in the lot closest to the building, but all non-GM cars had to park in the lot maybe 2 tenths of a mile down at the end of the building closest to the highway. No idea if it was ever enforced, though, either.
GM never enforced it from what I could tell. I saw "competitive" products in GM-only parking on the regular and it didn't seem to matter.
razr390

Speaking of P-car my dad has gone full blown midlife crisis :fullretard: with his 944 turbo but he still hasn’t taken it to the track.

Enough stickers and helmets and racing merchandise and upgaydes to make someone blush but he still don’t do shit.

:jalepenis:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:40 pm

Good stuff. Luckily your car company offers epic amounts of meathead products with which to conform.
Yea....

I dunno. I'm not going to sell the Corvette. I like it too much for the value. The closest I could realistically consider is a Scat Pack Widebody, but at $40k, I'm not too enthused by that. Used Hellcats are ~$40k as well, but that's still a lot of money for a toy I can't drive 6 months of the year. Pass.

I'll probably replace the ZR2 with a Gladiator or Ram when the lease is up. That's about it. Even then, I'll probably drive the Corvette or gay ass Volt for the majority of my commuting.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:48 pm Speaking of P-car my dad has gone full blown midlife crisis :fullretard: with his 944 turbo but he still hasn’t taken it to the track.

Enough stickers and helmets and racing merchandise and upgaydes to make someone blush but he still don’t do shit.

:jalepenis:
Man...that thing was already at the limit with stickers, I cringe to think about what it looks like now. That's sad. 951's are awesome cars.