Kamry XSE impressions and further updates

Strut your greasy stuff!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Any thoughts on the non-cloverleaf Giulia? Local :dillerman: is advertising $5-9k off right now.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I can think of very few females that would choose a golf over a poorshe as their man's chariot....... Our own Haley perhaps?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:38 pm Any thoughts on the non-cloverleaf Giulia? Local :dillerman: is advertising $5-9k off right now.
I am not a huge fan of them. I'd rather go with a MB over that. The 2.0 vehicles are just very blah. I can get a nice 340/335i used for 20-25k which are better cars than Giulias IMO, but I am choosing to go with something different outside of a 4 door sedan.
max225

Irish wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:40 pm I can think of very few females that would choose a golf over a poorshe as their man's chariot....... Our own Haley perhaps?
Word. I :aintcare: that much but I am trying to explore what poorsches are even in my price range 40-60k that are still relatively modern.

I do drive a lot... and that will continue for at least another year, so it may not be the best option... I dunno my heart isn't fully in it. Poorsches are nice but they are nice when you have another car.
max225

Golf is just so damn appealing. All the performance I want... Sub 30k, a lot of utility, (the seats fold right?) I noticed the other day that my M3 seats don't fucking fold... :butwhy: yet my 335i seats did. I needed to transport some major home improvement shit in it.

However a giant tile saw does fit into the trunk of the M3. :aintcare:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:31 pm Which Poorshaaa are we talking about here?
I dunno I was thinking 2013-16 Gayman S's but they are pretty tough to find. What else is out there... and poverty spec 911s that would have depreciated into the 50s?
Dude...I think this is worth serious consideration. Porsches seems to be rather resistant to depreciation (compared to other makes), so it won't be too painful to off in a few years. Plus, it scratches the itch before crotchfruit pop onto the scene and you're rolling in a mom-mobile. Should be able to get something decent for sub $50k, which is a reasonable cash outlay for something like this.

Only issue is the importance of maintenance records for resale value. Which means dealer service for everything, which will jack the cost of ownership. I think it's worth it, but it needs to be factored in.

I'd Cayman for sure. Might take some time to find one you like, but I think it would be worth it. I doubt any 991's are down into the $50k range yet, but also worth looking for.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:50 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:37 pm

I dunno I was thinking 2013-16 Gayman S's but they are pretty tough to find. What else is out there... and poverty spec 911s that would have depreciated into the 50s?
Dude...I think this is worth serious consideration. Porsches seems to be rather resistant to depreciation (compared to other makes), so it won't be too painful to off in a few years. Plus, it scratches the itch before crotchfruit pop onto the scene and you're rolling in a mom-mobile. Should be able to get something decent for sub $50k, which is a reasonable cash outlay for something like this.

Only issue is the importance of maintenance records for resale value. Which means dealer service for everything, which will jack the cost of ownership. I think it's worth it, but it needs to be factored in.

I'd Cayman for sure. Might take some time to find one you like, but I think it would be worth it. I doubt any 991's are down into the $50k range yet, but also worth looking for.
She's more excited about it than I am. I just feel like they are more of a toy car.... a Golf is ok to park in the city, abuse, and treat like shit (I k now i am exaggerating but treat like shit=treat like a daily). A gayman would be a bit more difficult to treat as such

I can tell you right now, I am not taking it to the dealer. $399 oil changes that I can do for $50 are not a way in which I handle these types of things. I can DIY almost everything until 100k miles on the P car. Which would take me 5-7 years to get there. The only thing I can't do is DSG service but that remains to be seen, I did the DSG in the golf... how hard can it be in the P car.

I would think that whoever is buying it from me would be buying it at the 20-25k price point a few years down the road. I am not sure if "DEALER" records matter at that point. As most porsches in that price point are ragged to shit.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:46 pm
Irish wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:40 pm I can think of very few females that would choose a golf over a poorshe as their man's chariot....... Our own Haley perhaps?
Word. I :aintcare: that much but I am trying to explore what poorsches are even in my price range 40-60k that are still relatively modern.

I do drive a lot... and that will continue for at least another year, so it may not be the best option... I dunno my heart isn't fully in it. Poorsches are nice but they are nice when you have another car.
Just get the R and focus on the rest of your increasingly complicated existence.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:48 pm Golf is just so damn appealing. All the performance I want... Sub 30k, a lot of utility, (the seats fold right?) I noticed the other day that my M3 seats don't fucking fold... :butwhy: yet my 335i seats did. I needed to transport some major home improvement shit in it.

However a giant tile saw does fit into the trunk of the M3. :aintcare:
Because structural rigidity ultimate race car.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:59 pm

Just get the R and focus on the rest of your increasingly complicated existence.
That's the easy answer.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:56 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:50 pm

She's more excited about it than I am. I just feel like they are more of a toy car.... a Golf is ok to park in the city, abuse, and treat like shit (I k now i am exaggerating but treat like shit=treat like a daily). A gayman would be a bit more difficult to treat as such

I can tell you right now, I am not taking it to the dealer. $399 oil changes that I can do for $50 are not a way in which I handle these types of things. I can DIY almost everything until 100k miles on the P car. Which would take me 5-7 years to get there. The only thing I can't do is DSG service but that remains to be seen, I did the DSG in the golf... how hard can it be in the P car.

I would think that whoever is buying it from me would be buying it at the 20-25k price point a few years down the road. I am not sure if "DEALER" records matter at that point. As most porsches in that price point are ragged to shit.
I get it re: toy. One the one hand, it might be the last time you can ever even remotely justify such a purchase, but if you don't really have a desire for it, then meh.

"Maintenance records" are over-valued in the Porsche world. It's the first thing any perspective buyer asks. If you don't have them, you'll have much more difficulty selling the car, and will have to accept a lower value. It's the way it is.

Just get the R and be done with it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

:dat:
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:04 pm

That's the easy answer.
It's not a sacrificial one either. The interior is a nice place to spend time and it is "fast enough." It's also right sized for your urban lifestyle and has enough ground clearance that it's DDable. Plus the epic utility.

If I was sentenced to drive a Golf R for the rest of my life it would be ayaight. Besides you're just a Fed Ex from Arin@APR away from dominating the streets.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Of course this is a pretty good problem to have (choosing between a utilitarian pocket rocket and a prestige sports car name) but oddly enough I really feel the dilemmna here..... it would seem to be a no brainer Posrshe>VW all day long.....but not really in your case (or mine for that matter).....the R is just a perfect fit for us right now on a few different levels..... the only potential drawback being styling but we have already established that those of us here see "eggs" quite differently than 80% of the world. And thus, there is great appeal to the supeR Egg......
Last edited by Irish on Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:26 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:04 pm

That's the easy answer.
It's not a sacrificial one either. The interior is a nice place to spend time and it is "fast enough." It's also right sized for your urban lifestyle and has enough ground clearance that it's DDable. Plus the epic utility.

If I was sentenced to drive a Golf R for the rest of my life it would be ayaight. Besides you're just a Fed Ex from Arin@APR away from dominating the streets.
First thing I'll do is obviously go stage 2.

Not.

i am going to go with a golf R mainly because I think it presents the minimum risk in case I need to :nuke: everything. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the alternatives as well over the next couple of months.
max225

Irish wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:31 pm Of course this is a pretty good problem to have (choosing between a utilitarian pocket rocket and a prestige sports car name) but oddly enough I really feel the dilemmna here..... it would seem to be a no brainer Posrshe>VW all day long.....but not really in your case (or mine for that matter).....the R is just a perfect fir for us right now on a few different levels..... the only potential drawback being styling but we have already established that those of us here see "eggs" quite differently than 80% of the world. And thus, there is great appeal to the supeR Egg......
Yep. As much of crap as you guys give me about my "perception" comments, obviously I don't care enough about the P car "prestige" matter of fact it is sort of a detractor for me. My boss drives a gti and I would be rolling in a P car. We talk cars so that'll go over great during my next promotion talk. :disgust:

My mind is at 75% Golf R.
The other 20% is split between
Focus RS/CivicR/F80 in smurf blue with 18s/GaymanS

5% the :scrooge: may still do a civic sport but that seems to be way too much of a downgrade. I really do enjoy nice stereos and performance.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:07 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:56 pm

I get it re: toy. One the one hand, it might be the last time you can ever even remotely justify such a purchase, but if you don't really have a desire for it, then meh.

"Maintenance records" are over-valued in the Porsche world. It's the first thing any perspective buyer asks. If you don't have them, you'll have much more difficulty selling the car, and will have to accept a lower value. It's the way it is.

The car would have spreadsheet of records. I am pretty anal when it comes to maintenance. I honestly don't think it would be a detractor for the "next guy" 5 years down the road. Caymans aren't overly rare or overly expensive especially 5 years down the line.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:36 pm
Irish wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:31 pm Of course this is a pretty good problem to have (choosing between a utilitarian pocket rocket and a prestige sports car name) but oddly enough I really feel the dilemmna here..... it would seem to be a no brainer Posrshe>VW all day long.....but not really in your case (or mine for that matter).....the R is just a perfect fir for us right now on a few different levels..... the only potential drawback being styling but we have already established that those of us here see "eggs" quite differently than 80% of the world. And thus, there is great appeal to the supeR Egg......
Yep. As much of crap as you guys give me about my "perception" comments, obviously I don't care enough about the P car "prestige" matter of fact it is sort of a detractor for me. My boss drives a gti and I would be rolling in a P car. We talk cars so that'll go over great during my next promotion talk. :disgust:

5% the :scrooge: may still do a civic sport but that seems to be way too much of a downgrade. I really do enjoy nice stereos and performance.
Yeah.

I think if you get the Porsche you'd be wise parking off lot and tell the boss you're taking public transit.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:07 pm

The car would have spreadsheet of records. I am pretty anal when it comes to maintenance. I honestly don't think it would be a detractor for the "next guy" 5 years down the road. Caymans aren't overly rare or overly expensive especially 5 years down the line.
K brah. Anyone can pound together a spreadsheet. Just saying, Porsche buyers are :fullretard: Certainly a detractor from buying one IMO.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:41 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:36 pm

Yeah.

I think if you get the Porsche you'd be wise parking off lot and tell the boss you're taking public transit.
I haven't told a sole at my current company that I have a Corvette. Luckily, I have to park in a separate lot for "competitive" cars, so even when walking out with co-workers they can't see. I almost had to drive someone to lunch a few weeks back but conveniently "forgot my keys" at my desk.

They think I drive the Volt or ZR2 everyday.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:44 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:37 pm
K brah. Anyone can pound together a spreadsheet. Just saying, Porsche buyers are :fullretard: Certainly a detractor from buying one IMO.
I think you're thinking of a 50k Porsche buyer not a $25k porsche buyer... Look at your 944 dealings.... who has records....
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Get that new VW Arteon. Looks neat.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:44 pm
I think you're thinking of a 50k Porsche buyer not a $25k porsche buyer... Look at your 944 dealings.... who has records....
Every single fucking person that contacted me about that car asked if it had service records EVERY ONE. It got old, and that was a modded to shit $8k racecar.

I had a dude fucking pay for a PPI...then bailed after getting the report because the timing cover was cracked and the power steering rack had signs of WHEEPING (not a leak). The shop went as far as saying it was one of the nicest kept 944's they've had. He paid $500 for the PPI to be performed on an $8k car and walked. :wat: I can't imagine what it would be like when selling a car for 3x the price.

I'm telling you man, selling a Porsche BLOWS. It was the worst selling experience I've ever had. Those people are :fullretard:
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:53 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:49 pm

Every single fucking person that contacted me about that car asked if it had service records EVERY ONE. It got old, and that was a modded to shit $8k racecar.

I had a dude fucking pay for a PPI...then bailed after getting the report because the timing cover was cracked and the power steering rack had signs of WHEEPING (not a leak). The shop went as far as saying it was one of the nicest kept 944's they've had. He paid $500 for the PPI to be performed on an $8k car and walked. :wat: I can't imagine what it would be like when selling a car for 3x the price.

I'm telling you man, selling a Porsche BLOWS. It was the worst selling experience I've ever had. Those people are :fullretard:
:amazing: that's is fucking retarded... I may not venture down this path then. :wtf:
max225

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:49 pm Get that new VW Arteon. Looks neat.
I am not rich enough for a new car that depreciates @10k a year or more. It does look :neat: