Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:10 am
wap wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:25 pm

In4updates
I have a luncheon meeting today with my team, our new boss and boss's boss. Will provide updates later today since that meeting does impact what I end up doing/pursuing.
:popcorn: Hoping it's a good meeting dude!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

I am cautiously optimistic these days. I sat down with the CEO yesterday and we chatted about things, I was looking for his view on where the department is going and he steered it more towards me individually. Not a bad thing, and apparently there have been talks among the higher ups about moving me up and into a sales role (logical next step for my career). This was news to me, but he also said that I have an exceptional reputation so they do want to help build my career.

Today's meeting seemed to go alright as well, with more of what do I want to do with my career talk, as our new boss and her boss are looking at restructuring the department. Add another sales person, with adding more sales responsibilities to my role; this would allow each sales person to handle an entire on-boarding themselves and be able to maintain existing relationships.

Trying to lay the foundation for the pay me more money conversation that will happen.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:47 pm I am cautiously optimistic these days. I sat down with the CEO yesterday and we chatted about things, I was looking for his view on where the department is going and he steered it more towards me individually. Not a bad thing, and apparently there have been talks among the higher ups about moving me up and into a sales role (logical next step for my career). This was news to me, but he also said that I have an exceptional reputation so they do want to help build my career.

Today's meeting seemed to go alright as well, with more of what do I want to do with my career talk, as our new boss and her boss are looking at restructuring the department. Add another sales person, with adding more sales responsibilities to my role; this would allow each sales person to handle an entire on-boarding themselves and be able to maintain existing relationships.

Trying to lay the foundation for the pay me more money conversation that will happen.
Yea, the pay me more conversation needs to happen if they're going to move you around and/or change increase your responsibilities. Definitely worth doing some research on market compensation for your role so you're armed with some numbers to target. If they don't play ball, time to jump companies. There's no value in loyalty.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:52 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:47 pm I am cautiously optimistic these days. I sat down with the CEO yesterday and we chatted about things, I was looking for his view on where the department is going and he steered it more towards me individually. Not a bad thing, and apparently there have been talks among the higher ups about moving me up and into a sales role (logical next step for my career). This was news to me, but he also said that I have an exceptional reputation so they do want to help build my career.

Yea, the pay me more conversation needs to happen if they're going to move you around and/or change increase your responsibilities. Definitely worth doing some research on market compensation for your role so you're armed with some numbers to target. If they don't play ball, time to jump companies. There's no value in loyalty.
Yeah, I've spoken with one of my sales people who has also spoken with people at other Banks and I have a good idea of where I would need to be.

There really is no value in loyalty.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:52 pm
Yeah, I've spoken with one of my sales people who has also spoken with people at other Banks and I have a good idea of where I would need to be.

There really is no value in loyalty.
Nice. You're good.

It's sad re: loyalty. But when you spend years getting no or marginal pay increases, you can be significantly under market in quick order. Then they offer you a "massive" 5% or whatever increase for a new job, and you think it's all good until you realize you're still being underpaid.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:22 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:10 am

I have a luncheon meeting today with my team, our new boss and boss's boss. Will provide updates later today since that meeting does impact what I end up doing/pursuing.
:popcorn: Hoping it's a good meeting dude!
:dat:
:excited:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:01 pm Im updating my resume :doomed:
I should do the same.

Not planning on looking, but it's 5 years out of date.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:12 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:01 pm Im updating my resume :doomed:
I should do the same.

Everyone should look for new jobs right now. It's a great time to be in the job market overall.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I should do the same.

its time for me i think. Sucks cause there is a lot to like here, but they simply wont pay me what Im worth.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Do you guys apply to stuff if you think you're under qualified?

I found a maintenance director position. Oversee a dept of 450 hourly union workers plus planners and foremen. They want 5 years managing union labor and maintenance projects, which I have. I've just never been responsible for that much before. Even the biggest projects I've run were only like 400 people or so.

Pay would likely be a downgrade, but it's for the school system which I'd enjoy working for. I think. Director title tho. Plus I'd be working for a cause I strongly believe in.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 am Do you guys apply to stuff if you think you're under qualified?

I found a maintenance director position. Oversee a dept of 450 hourly union workers plus planners and foremen. They want 5 years managing union labor and maintenance projects, which I have. I've just never been responsible for that much before. Even the biggest projects I've run were only like 400 people or so.

Pay would likely be a downgrade, but it's for the school system which I'd enjoy working for. I think. Director title tho. Plus I'd be working for a cause I strongly believe in.
I don't see how you'd be under qualified for that gig? In your shoes, I'd apply for that in a heart beat.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 am Do you guys apply to stuff if you think you're under qualified?

I do. Most people, and sounds like you included, undervalue/underrate themselves, especially when branching out from something their familiar with. Going from 400 to 450 people isn’t a huge jump. I think you’ll look good as a qualified candidate.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

If everyone really had to be qualified for a job to be hired, then unemployment would be 100%.

Every job seems to "require" that you already have the job in order to qualify - that is impossible.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:37 am

I should do the same.

its time for me i think. Sucks cause there is a lot to like here, but they simply wont pay me what Im worth.
That might be the way to get the pa you're worth.

David made a comment to me, that preliminary wage increases don't look like much. Now, what that mean, IDK. But, it won't be a yuge increase for anyone.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:20 am

I don't see how you'd be under qualified for that gig? In your shoes, I'd apply for that in a heart beat.
Biggest dept I've managed is 17? Biggest project I've managed is somewhere around 400. But the project was only like a month. I dunno. I'll apply to it.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:54 am
Apex wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:20 am

Biggest dept I've managed is 17? Biggest project I've managed is somewhere around 400. But the project was only like a month. I dunno. I'll apply to it.
Can't hurt to apply to it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I fail to see the underqualification.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Melon wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:42 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:37 am

David made a comment to me, that preliminary wage increases don't look like much. Now, what that mean, IDK. But, it won't be a yuge increase for anyone.
:rage:

:fshitup:
ChrisoftheNorth

I apply to anything I'm interested in. It's up to the screener/hiring manager to decide that I'm under-qualified.

You never know what they're looking for. Job listings are really for a "dream" candidate, which everyone knows doesn't exist. You might have the right mix of things they're looking for and you don't even know it.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:26 am If everyone really had to be qualified for a job to be hired, then unemployment would be 100%.

Every job seems to "require" that you already have the job in order to qualify - that is impossible.
So true.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:16 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:42 am

:rage:

:fshitup:
Yeah man, it's out of their hands.
Not much we can do about it. He did say it was preliminary tho, so there's hoap.

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:19 pm

He’s not qualified 50 enough. Simple.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:01 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:19 pm

He’s not qualified 50 enough. Simple.
Ha
I applied to it. We will see I guess.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:02 am So as the pharma company ghosted me I'm now in process with two other places.

Should start seeing movement (positive or negative) next week
:popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:29 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:20 am
:popcorn:
One I REALLY am excited about would make me neighbors with Irish.
:ohdang:

We need someone to keep track of the dude. Haven't heard from him in a while, really hope all is well.