Camper Chat 1.0

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Enough hijacking of Detroit's glorified tent on wheels thread. Here we talk about campers in general. Seems a few of us are interested in them, and at least one of us is actively looking at them?

What you gots mang?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I have a tent
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:49 am I have a tent
:idbu:
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I have a bivy sack. All you need in airboat land. Just keep the mosquitoes out and your boom stick handy, and you're good to go baw.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I have Marriott Bonvoy gold status. I would, however, strongly consider something built on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis.

https://www.airstream.com/touring-coach ... -tour-ext/ but used/depreciated.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:07 pm I have Marriott Bonvoy gold status. I would, however, strongly consider something built on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis.

Man...those Sprinter-based RVs are outstanding. Huge fan.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:07 pm I have Marriott Bonvoy gold status. I would, however, strongly consider something built on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis.

Man...those Sprinter-based RVs are outstanding. Huge fan.
Supposedly rust is a big problem with sprinters in general. Not that any of us are actually going to buy one.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Man...those Sprinter-based RVs are outstanding. Huge fan.
Supposedly rust is a big problem with sprinters in general. Not that any of us are actually going to buy one.
I don't see them often, but when I do, they're rusty.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

That, among other things. Supposedly a lot of engine problems with the diesels too.

I actually think the Ford Transit might be the best van out right now. But if you need 4WD you're going aftermarket to someone like Quigley or holding out for an AWD 2020 model. The Chevy Express is a great platform but aging. They're smaller inside, but dependable.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Interesting. I would be driving my RV in salt free zones but good protip.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

I saw so many vanlyfers out west it was nuts. Most were in Sprinters. The new Winnebago Revels were out in full force.

That would be dope to tour the continent with.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:11 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:49 am I have a tent
:idbu:
I do :doe:

I plan to try some camping on the mooterbike when it cools off again.
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:13 pm

I saw so many vanlyfers out west it was nuts. Most were in Sprinters. The new Winnebago Revels were out in full force.

Outstanding! :like:
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:13 pm

So the drawback on these is I don't think they can carry 4 people in comfort while driving, and certainly not while camping (you'd need a tent for more than 2 people). Most vanlyfe things are really 2 person vehicles.

:iono:

The other drawback is, at least where I was camping, all the sites were first come first serve. So if your entire camp drives away for the day you could come back to no campsite at night. The RTT overland crowd just loaded the picnic table with tons of camp kitchen stuff and put up some foldy chairs to claim their land. YMMV.
Johnny_P

FWIW, here's my camping setup:

3 person tent is super roomy when you're by yourself and I can sit up in it. Fine for 2 people. 15 minute setup, 30 minute tear down, ish.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:31 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:22 pm

So the drawback on these is I don't think they can carry 4 people in comfort while driving, and certainly not while camping (you'd need a tent for more than 2 people). Most vanlyfe things are really 2 person vehicles.

:iono:

The other drawback is, at least where I was camping, all the sites were first come first serve. So if your entire camp drives away for the day you could come back to no campsite at night. The RTT overland crowd just loaded the picnic table with tons of camp kitchen stuff and put up some foldy chairs to claim their land. YMMV.
Yeah, I think I'd just bring a "placeholder tent" that set up quickly for this purpose.
ChrisoftheNorth

Can you level those vans, or are you forced to just park on a spot that's as level as possible?

I still like the idea of a trailer to setup a basecamp with. As neat as the van is, like JP said, you're really limited on who you can take with you.
ChrisoftheNorth

Speaking of Basecamp, I want an Airstream Basecamp so badly...

Too bad it's like $40k. Yea, no.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:impressive:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:53 pm Can you level those vans, or are you forced to just park on a spot that's as level as possible?

I still like the idea of a trailer to setup a basecamp with. As neat as the van is, like JP said, you're really limited on who you can take with you.
Find a spot that's as level as possible and park it on blocks. At least that's what all the overlanders were doing :iono:

Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:56 pm Speaking of Basecamp, I want an Airstream Basecamp so badly...

You're paying a lot for the name there. Trailers with similar features can be had for around $20k.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:53 pm Can you level those vans, or are you forced to just park on a spot that's as level as possible?

Find a spot that's as level as possible and park it on blocks. At least that's what all the overlanders were doing :iono:

Ah, makes sense.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:50 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:56 pm Speaking of Basecamp, I want an Airstream Basecamp so badly...

You're paying a lot for the name there. Trailers with similar features can be had for around $20k.
Totally. I just love the style and all the windows. It's pretty great.

A lot of trailers are slab sided and lacking much natural light. Just a few standard windows here and there. That's a big thing I like about the popup is all the natural light it lets in.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:26 pm Basecamp is :tits: inside. Dat window.
Agreed it's very nice. Pretty right-sized and not a lardass like a lot of trailers are. Also premium inside instead of builder grade cabinets and shower panels.

Aside from price, the only issue I see is I'd have a hard time convincing myself to pull that along a forest road, whereas with something like a Taxa Tigermoth I'd go for it. But that's an entirely different camping style so ignore me, lol.

ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:15 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:26 pm Basecamp is :tits: inside. Dat window.
Agreed it's very nice. Pretty right-sized and not a lardass like a lot of trailers are. Also premium inside instead of builder grade cabinets and shower panels.

Aside from price, the only issue I see is I'd have a hard time convincing myself to pull that along a forest road, whereas with something like a Taxa Tigermoth I'd go for it. But that's an entirely different camping style so ignore me, lol.

Taxa is doing some really neat stuff, but also stupid price for what they are.

Got lost this last trip and dragged the popup down a forest road. Did fine, other than being a bit wide.