:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:15 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:03 pm

But instead of keeping new parts from breaking, you're just re-breaking old broken shit.

Think of the fun you'll have!
:dat:

I'm friends with a girl who's on a serious lemons team on the westcoast. She always shared pictures of them breaking stuff and "fixing" it with less broken stuff or whatever. There's certainly a MacGyver type appeal there I guess.
A friend of mine is doing this in some pile of garbage miata on the 3rd engine. "blown motor" oh well type scenarios and "laughs" because its "cheap" but this dude is pretty much rich AF, so I am sure he doesn't give a fk, but they money spent on these events is quite high, I'd probably guess about 1k per "weekend" or so. Maybe more...
Last edited by max225 on Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:21 pm

I'm friends with a girl who's on a serious lemons team on the westcoast. She always shared pictures of them breaking stuff and "fixing" it with less broken stuff or whatever. There's certainly a MacGyver type appeal there I guess.
A friend of mine is doing this in some pile of garbage miata on the 3rd engine. "blown motor" oh well type scenarios and "laughs" because its "cheap" but this dude is pretty much rich AF, so I am sure he doesn't give a fk, but they money spent on these events is quite high, I'd probably guess about 1k per "weekend" or so. Maybe more...
$1k is probably the cost of tires alone. Racing isn't cheap, period.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Also, buy coolshirts. Just do it. And do the DIY cooler, a big one. And you will need block ice, lots. Or you can leave the ac hooked up and do some Couyon

I'll sell you my cool shit if it will fit you as i have no need for it anymore, or if i ever get back to 'real racing' I can just get another
brain go brrrrrr
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:27 pm
$1k is probably the cost of tires alone. Racing isn't cheap, period.
Miata is on some piece of shit 195s or what not... I doubt they run that pricy. But fuel to get there, track fees, repairs+maintenance+ trailer rental or what not.

it is a huge time + money commitment for the rich.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:03 pm

But instead of keeping new parts from breaking, you're just re-breaking old broken shit.

Think of the fun you'll have!

Exactly. The airboat appeal is real for me. I signed up as a pit crew member for some locals to keep their car running but they never even passed tech so it didn't happen. I still went to the even and checked it out tho. My friend and I both agreed that it's something we wanna do on our own, not with the ragtag gang that threw their car together last minute and didn't read the rules. So me and my boy are interested in that, and possibly turning said car into a full blown autocross machine as well.
For Lemons, we're prepared to have several spare motors and transmissions on hand to swap, and want to keep it reliable and simple. That kind of race isn't won on the track, it's won in the pits. Also, if you're trying to outright "WIN" at Lemons, you're usually not in it for the right reasons. It appeals to me, and I'd love to just compete and be be able to actually finish the race.

We already know the real cost of the setup so we're prepared. Roll cage, safety gear, brakes, tires... All that shit is well beyond the $500 limit for the purchase price of the car. But we know that, and are still interested in having fun and being frustrated at the same time.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:29 pm

Exactly. The airboat appeal is real for me. I signed up as a pit crew member for some locals to keep their car running but they never even passed tech so it didn't happen. I still went to the even and checked it out tho. My friend and I both agreed that it's something we wanna do on our own, not with the ragtag gang that threw their car together last minute and didn't read the rules. So me and my boy are interested in that, and possibly turning said car into a full blown autocross machine as well.
For Lemons, we're prepared to have several spare motors and transmissions on hand to swap, and want to keep it reliable and simple. That kind of race isn't won on the track, it's won in the pits. Also, if you're trying to outright "WIN" at Lemons, you're usually not in it for the right reasons. It appeals to me, and I'd love to just compete and be be able to actually finish the race.

We already know the real cost of the setup so we're prepared. Roll cage, safety gear, brakes, tires... All that shit is well beyond the $500 limit for the purchase price of the car. But we know that, and are still interested in having fun and being frustrated at the same time.
That's the correct approach IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Like if you want a rare-ish cheap cool 80s streetcar to play racecar, why not start here for example?

https://www.racingjunk.com/Improved-Tou ... _offset=38
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:00 pm I've no clue how any of the "cheap" endurance racing rules work, it seems to me like they all end up with you spending just as much money as you would on a decent real race car while driving an unreliable shitbox. :iono: :wrong:
:notwrong:
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:19 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:00 pm I've no clue how any of the "cheap" endurance racing rules work, it seems to me like they all end up with you spending just as much money as you would on a decent real race car while driving an unreliable shitbox. :iono: :wrong:
Do you even need a license to race in these shitbox series?
no.

try closer to 2k. once you have a car and gear. Our first race was nearly 3k per member in 2010.
entry is 1500 or so and if you want to be fast you need at least once set of sticker tires at about 1k. add in fuel, food, and lodging if not camping... it gets pricey real quick. See :mahtroy: 's comment eluding to 'why not just build a regualt NASA TT car for a little bit more'
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

troyguitar

Acid666

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:34 pm Like if you want a rare-ish cheap cool 80s streetcar to play racecar, why not start here for example?

https://www.racingjunk.com/Improved-Tou ... _offset=38

We actually found some really cool RX7 shells that we considered. I'm all about the rotary, but wanna stay away from the turbo setup because I hear that the rat's nest of vacuum lines is no bueno. My mindset is mild power motor with extra cooling, and try to work in some airboat aero to slip thru the crowd like a mating salmon
troyguitar

WacArnold's themed Poorsche racecar, ready to go. Apply golden arches to hood and hit the dollar menu on your way to the track.

https://www.racingjunk.com/Other/183200 ... ffset=20#1
Acid666

Actually I think we have our theme picked out. It's going to be somewhere along the lines of "THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER GENTLEMEN"
Where we vinyl up the side of the car with local personal injury lawyers dressed as superheros. There's gonna be shit like Flash Gordon McKernan, Morris Bart Aquaman, William G. Batman.... Etc.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:47 pm WacArnold's themed Poorsche racecar, ready to go. Apply golden arches to hood and hit the dollar menu on your way to the track.

https://www.racingjunk.com/Other/183200 ... ffset=20#1
Damn it :mahtroy:
I would love to get back in a P-car this way... prep'd 944's are a blast to drive, even with 150-160 hp or whatever they have.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:51 pm Actually I think we have our theme picked out. It's going to be somewhere along the lines of "THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER GENTLEMEN"
Where we vinyl up the side of the car with local personal injury lawyers dressed as superheros. There's gonna be shit like Flash Gordon McKernan, Morris Bart Aquaman, William G. Batman.... Etc.
:bravo:
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:59 pm
Acid666 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:51 pm Actually I think we have our theme picked out. It's going to be somewhere along the lines of "THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER GENTLEMEN"

I think only us dirty south peeps fully understand the plethora of choices we have in case we get in a wreck with an 18 wheeler.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Acid666 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:07 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:59 pm

I think only us dirty south peeps fully understand the plethora of choices we have in case we get in a wreck with an 18 wheeler.
Acid666

Desertbreh

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:38 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:19 pm

Do you even need a license to race in these shitbox series?
no.
try closer to 2k. once you have a car and gear. Our first race was nearly 3k per member in 2010.
entry is 1500 or so and if you want to be fast you need at least once set of sticker tires at about 1k. add in fuel, food, and lodging if not camping... it gets pricey real quick. See :mahtroy: 's comment eluding to 'why not just build a regualt NASA TT car for a little bit more'
:facepalm:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:20 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:38 pm

no.

:facepalm:
:lolol:
troyguitar

ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666

LOLOL that radio. ANd that one headlight. Oh man, that thing's BEAST! Would love to get T-boned in that baby!
Desertbreh

Very cool deathtrap.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:15 pm
Very cool deathtrap.
There's WAY cooler ways to die than in that thing.