Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:40 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:27 pm
:mahtroy: :wub:

You literally stated 5/7 same things as me. :impressive: MPG tho... I was in the low 20s. Apparently I am :wrong: about the wind noise as well as the cross wind situation. I also had ringing ears :(
This is louder than my car. I’ve never had ears ringing from a highway ride until this thing. It’s frankly unacceptable. Everyone gonna shit on me here but the 4R will get you everywhere this will, you’ll run out of balls before you run out of truk. But it rides better and is bank vault quiet.

Maybe the headliner would shut it up?
All the noise seems to originate around the end of the windshield ... the top was quiet.

But that ancient 5 speed and it must be a shit ton slower due to extra 500lbs. Have you driven the current gen? That interior is also :disgust:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:49 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:40 pm

This is louder than my car. I’ve never had ears ringing from a highway ride until this thing. It’s frankly unacceptable. Everyone gonna shit on me here but the 4R will get you everywhere this will, you’ll run out of balls before you run out of truk. But it rides better and is bank vault quiet.

Maybe the headliner would shut it up?
All the noise seems to originate around the end of the windshield ... the top was quiet.

But that ancient 5 speed and it must be a shit ton slower due to extra 500lbs. Have you driven the current gen? That interior is also :disgust:
Yeah it drives lazy. I think it’s mostly throttle tuning. But the engine has a lot of torque. I don’t hate the interior just feels dated because of the game boy gauge screen and tiny infotainment.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:30 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:49 pm

Yeah it drives lazy. I think it’s mostly throttle tuning. But the engine has a lot of torque. I don’t hate the interior just feels dated because of the game boy gauge screen and tiny infotainment.
I don’t find that acceptable at nearly 50k. I can’t spend that kind of coin on something that is literally taken from 2003. Slow, squishy, boring and dated. I’d do it at 15-20k used but they obviously don’t depreciate.
Johnny_P

I do like this thing. Just wish it was quieter on the highway. It’s really terrible over 60.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:30 pm Yeah it drives lazy. I think it’s mostly throttle tuning. But the engine has a lot of torque. I don’t hate the interior just feels dated because of the game boy gauge screen and tiny infotainment.
I don’t find that acceptable at nearly 50k. I can’t spend that kind of coin on something that is literally taken from 2003. Slow, squishy, boring and dated. I’d do it at 15-20k used but they obviously don’t depreciate.
They gauges are the main thing that would hold me back I guess. Everything else is fixable.
You can’t fix the steering or the wind noise on the Jeep.
Johnny_P

So despite desert cruising for 10 days the AC hasn’t been necessary. I turned it on today in Vegas. This thing is chuggy as fuck at low speed with the AC running. Clunky shifts, chuggy acceleration, and varying engine braking. It’s annoying.

I don’t remember the JK doing that.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:39 pm So despite desert cruising for 10 days the AC hasn’t been necessary. I turned it on today in Vegas. This thing is chuggy as fuck at low speed with the AC running. Clunky shifts, chuggy acceleration, and varying engine braking. It’s annoying.

Mine doesnt do that.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:39 pm So despite desert cruising for 10 days the AC hasn’t been necessary. I turned it on today in Vegas. This thing is chuggy as fuck at low speed with the AC running. Clunky shifts, chuggy acceleration, and varying engine braking. It’s annoying.

That’s weird AF, my 300s doesn’t do that and neither did any jl or jk I drove
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:25 pm Image

I do like this thing. Just wish it was quieter on the highway. It’s really terrible over 60.
Yup. Same thoughts exactly if it wasn’t for the wind insanity I’d be lighting 55k on fire. Can’t be that hard to fix it, they engineered everything else so well I guess there had to be a fuck up somewhere.

Are you solo ?
SAWCE

BIL’s dad got his gladiator. Looks like a base/Sport model, but he’s already put a leveling kit and 35s on it. Looks nice.
SAWCE

Actually looks like it may be the overland model.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:05 pm Actually looks like it may be the overland model.
Wow that was fast ! Did he special order ? Or just talking wallet his from the :dillerman:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:39 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:25 pm Image

Yup. Same thoughts exactly if it wasn’t for the wind insanity I’d be lighting 55k on fire. Can’t be that hard to fix it, they engineered everything else so well I guess there had to be a fuck up somewhere.

Are you solo ?
I was solo yeah
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:45 pm
SAWCE wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:05 pm Actually looks like it may be the overland model.
Wow that was fast ! Did he special order ? Or just talking wallet his from the :dillerman:
Ordered it a while back I believe. BIL was telling me about it a few weeks ago and he just now got it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:40 pm
max225 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:45 pm

Ordered it a while back I believe. BIL was telling me about it a few weeks ago and he just now got it.
Ultimate Meathead Vehicle
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:40 pm

Other BIL :(
Wish all of them were meatheads.
SAWCE

max225

Desertbreh wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:40 pm

Raised diesel or :gtfo: baby dick gladiator
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SAWCE wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:00 pm Image

Overland. :notbad: other than those horrid wheels.

I'm almost certain on a Sport S with Max tow and Rubicon fender flares and 35s no lift. Would be epic.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Interesting wheel choice for sure. Hated them at first, but I’d have to see in person.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I don’t mind those wheels. I would so 5/7 get a gladiator as my next car once I need one. Especially if I’m living in Tejas
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I don’t mind those wheels. I would so 5/7 get a gladiator as my next car once I need one. Especially if I’m living in Tejas
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
SAWCE

razr390 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:49 pm I don’t mind those wheels. I would so 5/7 get a gladiator as my next car once I need one. Especially if I’m living in Tejas
That’s where this dude is at. Near Dallas IIRC.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

The wheels are all fake bolts/rivets. I can't stand stuff like that. They're really popular on JL/JT for some reason.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:47 am The wheels are all fake bolts/rivets. I can't stand stuff like that. They're really popular on JL/JT for some reason.
I kinda get it, it looks like you’re on a safari rig or something, but yeah... if you want that look get some actual beadlock wheels.