So I bought some useless junk recently...

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:42 am
wap wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:37 am

:lolol: :impressive:

You're probably right. I got the small company feeling, too.

BTW, what's your thought on using a generic no-name replacement battery in my laptop? Should I expect any issues? Since I'm keeping it I'd like to at least know it would be safe to use some day when the new one shits the bed.
Honestly, it's probably built in the same factory as the original and just lacks the sticker that says Dell. I would just try to pay attention to see if it runs hotter. If so, I would likely try to replace it.
:word:
Thanks. I have the OEM one in now and it's functioning fine. If anything, the fan seems to run less frequently than it did with the original battery. If/when I have to switch to the generic, I'll keep an eye on how often the fan runs and how hot it feels underneath.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

wap wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:37 am

:lolol: :impressive:

You're probably right. I got the small company feeling, too.

BTW, what's your thought on using a generic no-name replacement battery in my laptop? Should I expect any issues? Since I'm keeping it I'd like to at least know it would be safe to use some day when the new one shits the bed.
Honestly, it's probably built in the same factory as the original and just lacks the sticker that says Dell. I would just try to pay attention to see if it runs hotter. If so, I would likely try to replace it.
What are your thoughts on Spyderco?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:32 pm

I like them. I have about 10 or 12 of them and they are great. I tend to only buy the ones made in Golden, Colorado, but the ones out of the Taichung factory in Taiwan get good reviews and I have a couple from there that aren't bad. I just like the label on the ones from Colorado:

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:09 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:32 pm

I like them. I have about 10 or 12 of them and they are great. I tend to only buy the ones made in Golden, Colorado, but the ones out of the Taichung factory in Taiwan get good reviews and I have a couple from there that aren't bad. I just like the label on the ones from Colorado:

How can easily tell? I'm considering the para 2 or delica 4. I don't see the stamp on blade hq.

Or is that only for the high dollar ones?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I know you're down on Benchmade right now but I really want a Bailout.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:34 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:09 pm

How can easily tell? I'm considering the para 2 or delica 4. I don't see the stamp on blade hq.

Para 2 and 3 are USA made.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/category/usa-made

I have a Para 2 in Blurple and it's great.

Would Bugput before Bailout.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

KYGTIGuy wrote:
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:09 pm I like them. I have about 10 or 12 of them and they are great. I tend to only buy the ones made in Golden, Colorado, but the ones out of the Taichung factory in Taiwan get good reviews and I have a couple from there that aren't bad. I just like the label on the ones from Colorado:

delica is always best.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:48 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:34 pm

Do you sharpen your blades yourself? What do you use?

I have a lansky system but it doesn't really work for me. I bought a few stones on Amazon yesterday to try them out.

This is fuckin' wild. I don't know if I posted or not but a few months back I distinctly remember thinking to myself how crazy I thought you were for buying pocket knives. Then I bought a cheap one and realize I use it more than 90% of the other shit I waste money on.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:08 pm This is fuckin' wild. I don't know if I posted or not but a few months back I distinctly remember thinking to myself how crazy I thought you were for buying pocket knives. Then I bought a cheap one and realize I use it more than 90% of the other shit I waste money on.

Years ago on a whim I got a Gerber pocketknife for like, $70 in the check out line at Lowe's. They had a nice display case, and I was like... Fuck, Treat y0self mother fucker!"
So I did. And I used the living shit out of that knife more than I could of imagined. I never even needed one before that, and just bought it because it looked cool (I think I was about 20 years old). Crazy how I went from never really needing one to whipping it out 2-3 times a day for opening or cutting stuff.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Acid666 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:58 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:08 pm This is fuckin' wild. I don't know if I posted or not but a few months back I distinctly remember thinking to myself how crazy I thought you were for buying pocket knives. Then I bought a cheap one and realize I use it more than 90% of the other shit I waste money on.

Years ago on a whim I got a Gerber pocketknife for like, $70 in the check out line at Lowe's. They had a nice display case, and I was like... Fuck, Treat y0self mother fucker!"
So I did. And I used the living shit out of that knife more than I could of imagined. I never even needed one before that, and just bought it because it looked cool (I think I was about 20 years old). Crazy how I went from never really needing one to whipping it out 2-3 times a day for opening or cutting stuff.
:dat:

My BugOut gets used quite a bit. It comes in handy quite often.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Apex wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:09 pm
Acid666 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:58 pm

I don't carry a pocket knife anymore, but I do use my Utilikey pretty often. I've gone into the local Pull-a-part a few times with no tools just because I was looking to see if they have any trucks or Miatas that I can salvage parts off of, and I find that I can occasionally rip parts out with my Utilikey. I've removed tail lights, cut grills off of cars that are wired in, removed all sorts of other random shit. It's pretty bad ass and doesn't take up much space since it's on my keychain.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Acid666 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:15 pm
Apex wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:09 pm

I don't carry a pocket knife anymore, but I do use my Utilikey pretty often. I've gone into the local Pull-a-part a few times with no tools just because I was looking to see if they have any trucks or Miatas that I can salvage parts off of, and I find that I can occasionally rip parts out with my Utilikey. I've removed tail lights, cut grills off of cars that are wired in, removed all sorts of other random shit. It's pretty bad ass and doesn't take up much space since it's on my keychain.
That is awesome!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

That key is :neat:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:08 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 11:48 pm

Do you sharpen your blades yourself? What do you use?

I have a lansky system but it doesn't really work for me. I bought a few stones on Amazon yesterday to try them out.

This is fuckin' wild. I don't know if I posted or not but a few months back I distinctly remember thinking to myself how crazy I thought you were for buying pocket knives. Then I bought a cheap one and realize I use it more than 90% of the other shit I waste money on.
I do sharpen myself.

I have a few setups, stones, Spyderco SharpMaker, Lansky and the more expensive Edge Pro Apex 4:. https://www.edgeproinc.com/apex-model-e ... em-p7.html

There are some really expensive solutions, but most only decrease time to a sharp edge. If you get it down with stones, it takes awhile, but you will be only limited by your skills from practice.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Any suggestions on a edc flashlight? Under $100. Currently looking at Fenix e30r
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

KYGTIGuy wrote:Any suggestions on a edc flashlight? Under $100. Currently looking at Fenix e30r
Cell phone LED

:iono:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:01 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote:Any suggestions on a edc flashlight? Under $100. Currently looking at Fenix e30r
Cell phone LED

:iono:
Yeah but that's no fun!
Apex

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:59 pm Any suggestions on a edc flashlight? Under $100. Currently looking at Fenix e30r
I'd check out the Streamlight TL-2 series as well.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Are you EDC guys wearing cargo pants all the time? I know I wear fitted pants, but I can’t imagine carrying anything more than my phone (front right), wallet (front left), keys (clipped to a belt loop and tucked into my back right), and then maybe adding in a knife (probably front right)...
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:15 am Are you EDC guys wearing cargo pants all the time? I know I wear fitted pants, but I can’t imagine carrying anything more than my phone (front right), wallet (front left), keys (clipped to a belt loop and tucked into my back right), and then maybe adding in a knife (probably front right)...
Cargo shorts are my go-to in the summer. My setup is phone(s) in front left, wallet in front right with knife, and keys are clipped off my front right pocket as well. I don't EDC a light or anything else, but I have some in the :truk: for relative easy access if I'm not home.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:56 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:15 am Are you EDC guys wearing cargo pants all the time? I know I wear fitted pants, but I can’t imagine carrying anything more than my phone (front right), wallet (front left), keys (clipped to a belt loop and tucked into my back right), and then maybe adding in a knife (probably front right)...
Cargo shorts are my go-to in the summer. My setup is phone(s) in front left, wallet in front right with knife, and keys are clipped off my front right pocket as well. I don't EDC a light or anything else, but I have some in the :truk: for relative easy access if I'm not home.
Yeah flashlight in your vehicle makes sense. I’d have to switch my phone and wallet to make room for a knife in my front right pocket if I buy one. Maybe it’s time for me to ditch slim fitting pants and go full “relaxed fit”. I wear straight fit now, but dem quads fill them up.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:31 am
Apex wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:56 am

Yeah flashlight in your vehicle makes sense. I’d have to switch my phone and wallet to make room for a knife in my front right pocket if I buy one. Maybe it’s time for me to ditch slim fitting pants and go full “relaxed fit”. I wear straight fit now, but dem quads fill them up.
I can switch the location of the pocket clip on my knife to accommodate a left or right pocket. So if you're comfortable with opening it with the left hand, or just drawing it out with your left hand you wouldn't need to switch your phone and wallet.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:28 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:31 am

I can switch the location of the pocket clip on my knife to accommodate a left or right pocket. So if you're comfortable with opening it with the left hand, or just drawing it out with your left hand you wouldn't need to switch your phone and wallet.
I’d definitely be more comfortable/dexterous pulling it out with my right hand. Wouldn’t be a big deal to switch phone to left pocket.

Speaking of.. I popped in a Bass Pro Shop and the dude behind the counter let me handle a Griptillian for a while. Feels really nice in hand. He carries a Mini Grip for his daily and I had Michelle see how that felt and she liked it.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Fanny pack.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Any reliable secondary markets for knives?