Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:45 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:35 pm Hm, weird.

The shifter is easy to fix...it's not the transmission. Usually the shifter linkage just needs some adjustment that people rarely do. I also replaced the shifter box on mine, and the shifter is a legit 2-finger sports car affair.

Did you adjust the seat at all or just plop in it and go?

The seats aren't great, but I find them to be comfortable when adjusted right. The car should have had sport seats (was packaged with the HUD, which I thought I saw on that car) with adjustable lumbar , which is huge for back support, and the bottom can be adjusted at both the front and year to give you as much thigh support as you want. I drive with quite a bit of thigh support, it's nice. Bolstering for the thighs is indeed non-existent, but the seat back bolstering is moderate and also adjustable to fit your sides.
I think I'd barely have been able to move the gear level from neutral over to the gate in front of first with two fingers. The level of effort required to change gears in this car was significantly higher than anything else I've ever driven. Felt like a dump truck.

I had the back of the seat as low as it would go and still felt like I was sitting too high, and to get in the right position with the pedals I felt like I couldn't put the front edge of the cushion too far up. I did adjust the lumbar support to be nearly maxed like I have it in the GTI. It was set to "0" at first, I pulled over halfway through to make some seat adjustments, but none of it seemed to help, really. :iono:
:howdareu:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:32 pm
coogles wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:45 pm

I think I'd barely have been able to move the gear level from neutral over to the gate in front of first with two fingers. The level of effort required to change gears in this car was significantly higher than anything else I've ever driven. Felt like a dump truck.

I had the back of the seat as low as it would go and still felt like I was sitting too high, and to get in the right position with the pedals I felt like I couldn't put the front edge of the cushion too far up. I did adjust the lumbar support to be nearly maxed like I have it in the GTI. It was set to "0" at first, I pulled over halfway through to make some seat adjustments, but none of it seemed to help, really. :iono:
You think that's good?

I drove an AP2 S2000 today and by far enjoyed it more.

I'll see myself out.

:lolol:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

coogles wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:39 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:32 pm

You think that's good?

I'll see myself out.

You can always add :ellis: to the s2k for that additional 500hp.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:47 pm
coogles wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:39 pm

You think that's good?

I'll see myself out.

This is the correct answer.

The :poorvette: is just a plastic tub carrying our lord and savior Ellis. Any tub will do. :poorvette: is just the cheapest.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:53 pm
Apex wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:47 pm

The :poorvette: is just a plastic tub carrying our lord and savior Ellis. Any tub will do. :poorvette: is just the cheapest.
:notwrong:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
Apex wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:47 pm You can always add :ellis: to the s2k for that additional 500hp.

One of my "if I had infinite time and money" projects is actually to get a C4 and LGX swap it. :triggered:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:00 pm
Detroit wrote: This is the correct answer.

One of my "if I had infinite time and money" projects is actually to get a C4 and LGX swap it. :triggered:
It could be done on the relative "cheap" I bet.

5.3 truck engine, mild cam and port the heads mated to a T56 from an f-body or GTO or something. Stand alone ECU like a Holly Dominator or something. Done.

$10k in parts probably in a car that would be worth maybe $5k at the end.

:troywax:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:00 pm
Detroit wrote: This is the correct answer.

When I think about what I'd want in my ideal weekender, I pretty much come to a LFX-swapped NC every time.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:00 pm One of my "if I had infinite time and money" projects is actually to get a C4 and LGX swap it. :triggered:
It could be done on the relative "cheap" I bet.

5.3 truck engine, mild cam and port the heads mated to a T56 from an f-body or GTO or something. Stand alone ECU like a Holly Dominator or something. Done.

Nah none of this :truk: :burnout: business, I'm talking about the late model NA V6. Light and small, use the existing 6MT from an 89-96 vette, use it to accentuate the differences between the C4 and most modern cars: short wheelbase, low polar moment, narrow track, quick steering, double wishbones.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:09 pm
Detroit wrote: It could be done on the relative "cheap" I bet.

Nah none of this :truk: :burnout: business, I'm talking about the late model NA V6. Light and small, use the existing 6MT from an 89-96 vette, use it to accentuate the differences between the C4 and most modern cars: short wheelbase, low polar moment, narrow track, quick steering, double wishbones.
OHHHHH I missed the LGX part.

LGX is sweet. That would be a pretty cool project.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:00 pm One of my "if I had infinite time and money" projects is actually to get a C4 and LGX swap it. :triggered:
When I think about what I'd want in my ideal weekender, I pretty much come to a LFX-swapped NC every time.
NSX-T or 2GR-swapped SW20 MR2 with t-tops for me, I like having a (translucent) roof.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Man, interesting stuff...

Funny enough, I have never minded the C5 shifter. It is definitely no S2000 unit, but I think it's fine, I like that it feels mechanical if rather heavy. I'd much rather grab gears in a C5 than a GTI or Kamry.

I also find the seats to suck, but I'm not uncomfortable in them, just wish they were sporty.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

In other C5 news, I'm thinking of :troywax: on a DeWitts radiator. The damn HVAC shop that is replacing my condenser now claims that they have to remove the radiator to complete the job. With that development, it's now $340 of labor and I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and update the radiator since I'm already paying for the labor.

It's all a big pain in the ass because I don't think you actually do have to pull out the radiator, but according to GM tech guidlines you do and it's like 5 hours of labor at :dillerman: .

:disappoint:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Anyone ever try the :scrooge: :stig: radiators?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-core-aluminu ... Swy41bcBf4

I think it's probably more worth it to just blow $700 on some made in 'murica shit.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:07 pm Anyone ever try the :scrooge: :stig: radiators?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-core-aluminu ... Swy41bcBf4

I think it's probably more worth it to just blow $700 on some made in 'murica shit.
Doing it once is cheaper than doing it twice if the eBay unit shits the bed.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

True. I think I'll just eat the $300+ cost of getting the condenser installed and see how cooling goes, I'll upgrade the radiator later and do the labor myself if needed.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:True. I think I'll just eat the $300+ cost of getting the condenser installed and see how cooling goes, I'll upgrade the radiator later and do the labor myself if needed.
:dat:

I highly doubt that you need a radiator.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I have the TMOD rebuilt lower box and 5% reduction shifter waiting to go into my car. Can't wait to eventually see how it feels.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Of all the manual cars I’ve owned I rate the shifters as follows:

Miata >>> Civic >> C5 >>> GTI=F30
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

All are way better than the Cayman and Elise.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:37 pm
D Griff wrote:True. I think I'll just eat the $300+ cost of getting the condenser installed and see how cooling goes, I'll upgrade the radiator later and do the labor myself if needed.
:dat:

I highly doubt that you need a radiator.
Same.

But the radiator certainly needs to come out to get to the condenser. They're stacked together and interlocked with tabs.

Just stick the stock one back in. I'd trust that more than Chinese eBay garbage.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:29 pm I have the TMOD rebuilt lower box and 5% reduction shifter waiting to go into my car. Can't wait to eventually see how it feels.
When you install the box, pay very close attention to alignment with the shift linkage. Once you get it all dialed in, the shifter action is fantastic with that box. 5/7 upgrade.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

My shifter is terrible, gears move all over the place, I think I broke something, when I reinstalled the trans, the level got pinched between the trans and the body, I had to pry it free/
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:58 am My shifter is terrible, gears move all over the place, I think I broke something, when I reinstalled the trans, the level got pinched between the trans and the body, I had to pry it free/
The level?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:53 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:29 pm I have the TMOD rebuilt lower box and 5% reduction shifter waiting to go into my car. Can't wait to eventually see how it feels.
When you install the box, pay very close attention to alignment with the shift linkage. Once you get it all dialed in, the shifter action is fantastic with that box. 5/7 upgrade.
Gonna have my Corvette tech buddy do it probably along with a couple of other things