Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Track pads are fun on the street. You can play a little song when coming to a stop by modulating the pedal.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:43 am I did the swapping to track pad thing, and it blows. You really need to change the rotors with them as track pads are brutal on rotors. I carted around a 1,00,000lb box of rotors and pads from house to house for a while before I decided to just off them. Even just changing the pads is a pain with floating calipers since you have to take them off the hub.

Track pads blow on the street. You think scraping is embarrassing? The screeching from track pads is bag over the head inducing. They're loud AF without a lot of temp in them, and it sounds like your car is broken every time you come to a stop. My wife refused to ride in the car with the track pads on it was so bad.

I've had Stoptechs for a while and really like them. I'd just run those at the track if you're not having issues with brake fade. You just need to accept the additional consumable cost. Track dayz are :waxer: no way around it.
They honestly perform very well on track with the tires I run so far, I'm sure they're :poop: with Hoosiers, but I'm pretty happy with the setup and it's :scrooge: enough.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
Detroit wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:43 am I did the swapping to track pad thing, and it blows. You really need to change the rotors with them as track pads are brutal on rotors. I carted around a 1,00,000lb box of rotors and pads from house to house for a while before I decided to just off them. Even just changing the pads is a pain with floating calipers since you have to take them off the hub.

Track pads blow on the street. You think scraping is embarrassing? The screeching from track pads is bag over the head inducing. They're loud AF without a lot of temp in them, and it sounds like your car is broken every time you come to a stop. My wife refused to ride in the car with the track pads on it was so bad.

I've had Stoptechs for a while and really like them. I'd just run those at the track if you're not having issues with brake fade. You just need to accept the additional consumable cost. Track dayz are :waxer: no way around it.
They honestly perform very well on track with the tires I run so far, I'm sure they're :poop: with Hoosiers, but I'm pretty happy with the setup and it's :scrooge: enough.
If they're working, just keep using them. They're one of the cheapest pads you can get anyway.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

anyone here have any experience with oil analysis kits?
It's about time to do another oil change on the :poorvette: I've been looking at the amsoil tester, but wanted some feed back before I pulled the trigger.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Purpc5z wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:49 pm anyone here have any experience with oil analysis kits?
It's about time to do another oil change on the :poorvette: I've been looking at the amsoil tester, but wanted some feed back before I pulled the trigger.
Seems like everyone uses Blackstone - I never have but several forum bros here have.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:02 pm
Purpc5z wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:49 pm anyone here have any experience with oil analysis kits?
Seems like everyone uses Blackstone - I never have but several forum bros here have.
I've heard lots and lots of bad things about blackstone. I've been told their results are inaccurate as well they don't test for fuel dilution properly
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Ranger method helped a bit. I'll do it again in a couple weeks. Free DOT4 at the diller :notbad:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Also Any idea what this noise is? I thought it was a pulley but when I shut the car off it sounds like an air leak from the throttle body area.

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Fuck. Forgot my phone doesn't record sound sometimes. Anyways it's a chirping sound that squeaks like a deflating balloon when i shut the car off.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:43 pm Fuck. Forgot my phone doesn't record sound sometimes. Anyways it's a chirping sound that squeaks like a deflating balloon when i shut the car off.
I thought my headset at work was just fucking up :lolol:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:43 pm Fuck. Forgot my phone doesn't record sound sometimes. Anyways it's a chirping sound that squeaks like a deflating balloon when i shut the car off.
I thought my headset at work was just fucking up Imageol:
:derp:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Hard to tell without hearing, but it could be the water pump.

I put a brand new water pump on my car when I rebuilt it and it turned out to be faulty. Made a ton of weird noises similar to what you're describing.

To troubleshoot, take the front belt off and start the car to see if the noise is gone. If it is, start spinning pulleys and look for one with noise/resistance. The belt comes off and goes on super easy once you do it a few times.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:03 am

I put a brand new water pump on my car when I rebuilt it and it turned out to be faulty. Made a ton of weird noises similar to what you're describing.

To troubleshoot, take the front belt off and start the car to see if the noise is gone. If it is, start spinning pulleys and look for one with noise/resistance. The belt comes off and goes on super easy once you do it a few times.
Thanks I'll try to check that out. Weather dependent because NY doesn't want you to do anything outside still
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:06 am
Detroit wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:03 am

Thanks I'll try to check that out. Weather dependent because NY doesn't want you to do anything outside still
:disgust: :nope:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Dat bloo. :megusta: Price and miles are better too.

https://www.rhoadesauto.com/details/use ... e/53170733
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:10 pm Dat bloo. :megusta: Price and miles are better too.

:ohdang:

Ideal spec right here...I spent a year searching for a car exactly like this and couldn't find it. Solid price too. Dang.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:10 pm Dat bloo. :megusta: Price and miles are better too.

Dood. Lot to like here.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:16 pm

Dood. Lot to like here.
Someone needs to buy this car before I do. I always wanted an EB car...I could swap the drivetrains easy.

:fullretard:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I'm going to bail out of work a little early and go drive that white over red one to see if I really want a :poorvette: in my life. Assuming I like it, that EB one is ~2hrs from me. I'll have to take Friday off or something and go check it out.
troyguitar

5/7 :poorvette: right there. Tell them it's only worth $10k.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:25 pm I'm going to bail out of work a little early and go drive that white over red one to see if I really want a :poorvette: in my life. Assuming I like it, that EB one is ~2hrs from me. I'll have to take Friday off or something and go check it out.
:ohdang: :fuckyeah: :popcorn:

Feel free to ask questions dude. The collective C5 knowledge on DFD is greater than all of the other corvette forums combined. This is easily the best C5 forum on the interwebz
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:26 pm 5/7 :poorvette: right there. Tell them it's only worth $10k.
While you're probably right, I think the asking price is ridiculously fair unless it's a salvage title or something.
troyguitar

I still want a regular C5 coupe like that. It's what I should have bought in 2013 and at each subsequent :plac: time since then. Luckily they made enough that nice examples still exist at good prices.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Detroit wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:31 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:26 pm 5/7 :poorvette: right there. Tell them it's only worth $10k.
While you're probably right, I think the asking price is ridiculously fair unless it's a salvage title or something.

Yeah that's a pretty low mileage one and and the price is dropped from the usual by $1-2K. The only way I think it would be lower is if it was an automatic.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

So i ordered rotors and pads yesterday. rotors will be here tomorrow :fuckyeah:
pads are a different story.
I ordered them from thmotorsports.com at like 3pm cali time. I decided that I'm going to race this sunday, Buttonwillow 13cw. so i need these all before hand so I can install nd brake in the pads.
woke up this morning and already got a tracking number for rotors and expected the same for the pads but that wasn't the case. I called thmotorsports to get an update and they told me that had no clue what was going on. I hung up and called again. Luckily I got someone that actually knew what they were doing that time. Told me that they didn't have a tracking number and that they would put in a request for one. They are located in Chicago but the worker told me that they will ship my wilwood pads from wilwood directly. i got a sense of relieve at the moment because wilwood hq is in camarillo, about 2 hours away from me. SOOOOOOO, I call wilwood and ask them if they can help me out and get me a tracking number. They guy at wilwood tells me that they don't do drop shipping for anyone including thmotorsports :ayfkm: :thisisfine:

the worker at TH told me that the request for tracking usually only takes an hour or two. I'm stuck waiting for the tracking number from them and hopefully the pads come in on time. If get the tracking number and it says it won't be here until after sunday I'm going to cancel the order and next day air them for an extra 60 OOF