Griff's Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Detroit wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:48 pm I drove mine every day this week. Even now I'm looking forward to driving it home.
It is so awesome to have this feeling ... and I think the only way to keep it is to have something special that you don't drive everyday....... #datenthusiastlifedoe
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Irish wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:48 pm I drove mine every day this week. Even now I'm looking forward to driving it home.
It is so awesome to have this feeling ... and I think the only way to keep it is to have something special that you don't drive everyday....... #datenthusiastlifedoe
EXACTLY
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:iono:

I loved my RX8 and fucking hate that I couldn't keep it here. There was no need for 2+ cars when I didn't live in a shithole.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:32 pm :iono:

I loved my RX8 and fucking hate that I couldn't keep it here. There was no need for 2+ cars when I didn't live in a shithole.
When you live with an older sports car everyday, you start to focus on it's faults...then it might break down a few times and strand you and a basic car seems like a much better deal, regardless of where you live (I went through this in SoCal). So you sell the sports car for a basic car, then you start to focus on how boring the car is and how you want something fun again, so you sell the boring car for a sports car and on and on and on.

One car works for a lot of people. It doesn't work for me, personally and I suspect Griff either. I like different things too frequently, and it's nice to easily switch it up.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Different strokes. I was ok with spending extra time and money making sure that the fun sports car was always in 5/7 shape - in part because I didn't have the safety net of another appliance in the garage.

I still feel compelled to do the same thing now (because having reliable transportation is a requirement IMO), but it's a lot less palatable when you don't really want the car that much.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I've driven my vette everyday for the last three weeks. Rain/snow/clouds
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Going to address some basics with the C5 tomorrow.

Installing the :wasteful: clutch spring and trying out Barrett's tube/baster method with the clutch, flushing brake fluid, cleaning all of the grounds I can, pull out the radiator and clean it out.

I have the new, non-bent AC condenser in hand and will have it installed over the next few weeks. I'm going to see how that + clean radiator work out before :troywax: on other cooling solutions.

I have the damn oil pressure reading 129 and 0 again... I had this problem, replaced with Autozone unit, it popped and spewed oil everywhere, replaced with OEM unit, now that isn't working. THey said they'd warranty it but I have to remove it from the car and bring it in, which is a huge pain in the ass. It would be great if I could just show them how it isn't working and they would give me the part so I can do it all at once.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I might need to order some new Dusttechs soon as well... debating if this is still the best pad for me or if I should do something different on track, I'll probably stick with Dusttech as I'll only be doing 3-5 track days annually.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

When the weather cooperates, and errand running is limited. Motorbike commute is my jam.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Got some updates on the cars here. The :poorvette: has required some maintenance lately to get it ready for the trip to Tail of the Dragon a few weeks ago and tomorrow's Track Night In America at Charlotte Motor Speedway's Roval (excited about this but it's probably going to rain).

Replaced the OPS again (warrantied by dealer) and the gauge functioned properly for a day. There must be some kind of short in the connector/wire, I'll have to dig into it again but haven't bothered with pulling the intake manifold again yet. The car runs just fine, just a little bit disconcerting. I also changed oil, brake, clutch fluid, replaced the coolant overflow tank, and paid a shop to replace the AC condenser and clean the radiator (they charged about $280, :notbad: ). Up in TN the car ran quite nicely and cooling is definitely improved, we'll see about the track tomorrow. I have been really liking the Falken Azenis RT615K+ tires, they're holding up quite nicely and have pretty good grip. I can tell they've heat cycled now but still decent, I'm hoping they'll go all year. I'll likely only do one or two more track days/nights after tomorrow.

I also raised up the suspension in the front a bit this weekend. It doesn't look quite as good but definitely a nice improvement in livability.

In BMW, not much to report, did the Bluetooth thing and that's been nice. Otherwise, it's been a solid, prefectly reliable car that I have come to enjoy a lot as a DD. It's got 24K now, so I've put on a little over 8k since November. I'll try to throw some pics up later.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:13 am Got some updates on the cars here. The :poorvette: has required some maintenance lately to get it ready for the trip to Tail of the Dragon a few weeks ago and tomorrow's Track Night In America at Charlotte Motor Speedway's Roval (excited about this but it's probably going to rain).

Replaced the OPS again (warrantied by dealer) and the gauge functioned properly for a day. There must be some kind of short in the connector/wire, I'll have to dig into it again but haven't bothered with pulling the intake manifold again yet. The car runs just fine, just a little bit disconcerting. I also changed oil, brake, clutch fluid, replaced the coolant overflow tank, and paid a shop to replace the AC condenser and clean the radiator (they charged about $280, :notbad: ). Up in TN the car ran quite nicely and cooling is definitely improved, we'll see about the track tomorrow. I have been really liking the Falken Azenis RT615K+ tires, they're holding up quite nicely and have pretty good grip. I can tell they've heat cycled now but still decent, I'm hoping they'll go all year. I'll likely only do one or two more track days/nights after tomorrow.

I also raised up the suspension in the front a bit this weekend. It doesn't look quite as good but definitely a nice improvement in livability.

In BMW, not much to report, did the Bluetooth thing and that's been nice. Otherwise, it's been a solid, prefectly reliable car that I have come to enjoy a lot as a DD. It's got 24K now, so I've put on a little over 8k since November. I'll try to throw some pics up later.
:notbad: :fuckyeah: update
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

How are the bmw tires holding up ? They almost done ?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:50 am How are the bmw tires holding up ? They almost done ?
I thought I had mentioned this here, but I got a flat and one of my rear tires from a failed repaired by the previous owner. I ended up buying two new DWS06 units in the back, I still have the shitty run flats in the front. They still have a little bit of tread, they should probably make it to 30 K at least.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Speaking of tires, for the second time one of the valve stems on my tires is leaking on the C5. I got the tires at Allison’s dad’s shop... I guess there was just some kind of user error with the installation of the TPMS sensors. It happened during my last session of track tonight in America. Kind of sucks that I missed out on 15 minutes of track time but oh well. Now I am waiting for a tow truck in the ghetto.

All of that said, truck night in America is an incredible way to try out driving on a road course. The event was very well organized and you are pretty much in and out in 3 to 4 hours with an hour on track, it was very laid-back and much easier to get in as far as tax, convertible roll bar‘s, all of that. Driving on the Roval at Charlotte motor speedway was very cool as well. Nothing like going 125 through bank to NASCAR turns, and I hit 146 on the back street, I think that is the fastest I have ever been in a car.

5/7, I would suggest anyone with even the slightest interest in tracking look it up and try out TNIA.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:05 pm Speaking of tires, for the second time one of the valve stems on my tires is leaking on the C5. I got the tires at Allison’s dad’s shop... I guess there was just some kind of user error with the installation of the TPMS sensors. It happened during my last session of track tonight in America. Kind of sucks that I missed out on 15 minutes of track time but oh well. Now I am waiting for a tow truck in the ghetto.

All of that said, truck night in America is an incredible way to try out driving on a road course. The event was very well organized and you are pretty much in and out in 3 to 4 hours with an hour on track, it was very laid-back and much easier to get in as far as tax, convertible roll bar‘s, all of that. Driving on the Roval at Charlotte motor speedway was very cool as well. Nothing like going 125 through bank to NASCAR turns, and I hit 146 on the back street, I think that is the fastest I have ever been in a car.

5/7, I would suggest anyone with even the slightest interest in tracking look it up and try out TNIA.
TNIA is absolutely the best track event I've ever been to. I love them. I just wish I had a track closer than 3 hours away from me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Flat fixed... looks like there's another TNIA a new dudebro I met at the track last night told me about in SC towards the end of the month. I think I'll sign up!
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Did you get new wheels for the C5? It looks badass!

Man. Long live pop up headlights. I'm always surprised by the C5 exterior. Park it next to exotics and it really doesn't look out of place.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:51 am Did you get new wheels for the C5? It looks badass!

Man. Long live pop up headlights. I'm always surprised by the C5 exterior. Park it next to exotics and it really doesn't look out of place.
Thanks man! I did, they’re the C5Z fronts all around. It definitely gives it a slightly less AARP look :notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well, had another great TNIA last week. I think I’m going to :troywax: on a seat/seats this month. I need to visit a local shop and see how different things fit me.

Also starting to get really tempted to mod the BMW a bit. Used downpipe and hamburger can be had for about $500. Might also do an intake for some sounds, perhaps a front sway bar.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:Well, had another great TNIA last week. I think I’m going to :troywax: on a seat/seats this month. I need to visit a local shop and see how different things fit me.

Also starting to get really tempted to mod the BMW a bit. Used downpipe and hamburger can be had for about $500. Might also do an intake for some sounds, perhaps a front sway bar.
If you need to do the C6 seatbelt conversion, let me know. I still have a pair of them in a box somewhere that I paid like $125 for on ebay and never used.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:47 am Well, had another great TNIA last week. I think I’m going to :troywax: on a seat/seats this month. I need to visit a local shop and see how different things fit me.

I would start with tires, wheels and brake pads. It needs at least 245s up front, the lack of grip up front in my 335i was just :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:59 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:47 am Well, had another great TNIA last week. I think I’m going to :troywax: on a seat/seats this month. I need to visit a local shop and see how different things fit me.

I would start with tires, wheels and brake pads. It needs at least 245s up front, the lack of grip up front in my 335i was just :disgust:
It's just kinda :troywax: ... and likely a smaller issue with the lower power in the 328i. I'm hoping the sway bar might help things similarly for way less money. Wheels/tires is like $2K and hard to really make work, I wish I could just buy a pair of rears for the front, I'd do that in a heartbeat.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:56 am
D Griff wrote:Well, had another great TNIA last week. I think I’m going to :troywax: on a seat/seats this month. I need to visit a local shop and see how different things fit me.

If you need to do the C6 seatbelt conversion, let me know. I still have a pair of them in a box somewhere that I paid like $125 for on ebay and never used.
:word: Thanks. I need to do some more research. It seems like in a lot of cases a passenger seat fits fine, which I will just do if possible.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'm also just kinda thinking about offing the BMW still... such :plac: indecision.

Could just go :scrooge: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... CMP=stemp2