Thought you guys might like seeing my latest work project

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:47 pm oh oil field welding no thx bawwww
Welders make good money down here. If you can dive and do deepwater shit, you be the boss man at the strip club when you come back on shore tee.

I was thinking of taking a welding class at the community college here to learn. When I build my shop in the backyard there's skills I wanna know and get decent at for some projects.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Acid666 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:03 pm
Welders make good money down here. If you can dive and do deepwater shit, you be the boss man at the strip club when you come back on shore tee.

I was thinking of taking a welding class at the community college here to learn. When I build my shop in the backyard there's skills I wanna know and get decent at for some projects.
I wish I had known this was a job when I was younger...
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Taking a class is fine to learn the basics but nothing beats practice. You can teach yourself pretty easily.

Weldingtipsandtricks.com is good too. I've been welding for years and still use him from time to time.
Acid666

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:15 am

Taking a class is fine to learn the basics but nothing beats practice. You can teach yourself pretty easily.

Weldingtipsandtricks.com is good too. I've been welding for years and still use him from time to time.
Well I figured with the class, it goes over nearly EVERY kind of welding, different materials, different techniques, etc. I could youtube all of it and find my way thru it, and spend money on things that I might not need... or I could just take a class and go through tons of different types of welding and learn what's the best way to spend my money in the future when I want to buy a whole setup. The class isn't cheap, but it's likely cheaper than a ton of trial and error with me wading thru the plethora of info on the internet. Plus having a teacher give real time feedback and advice is invaluable. It's one skill I really wanna learn so I can start doing side projects.

I found a small plasma cnc thing the other day for only $1,500. It's similar to my vinyl plotter but with plasma. I was like... Oh shit, I could totally find a ton of shit to cut out, I'd just need to learn to weld to complete that package. Then I went into a youtube rabbit trail of plasma cutters and learned that it's likely something I want as well.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Deets on the class? I did a 20wk program that was 20hrs a week.
Acid666

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:25 am Deets on the class? I did a 20wk program that was 20hrs a week.
I'll copy and paste it so you can get an idea. It's $2,500, and is Mon/Tues/Wed 5-9pm. 39 classes, 13 weeks, 167 hours.

Interested in learning to weld but have little to no welding experience? This short-term class through our Corporate College is for you.

Students will learn the basic skills required to become a welder. Instruction is provided in various processes including oxy-fuel cutting, shielded metal arc welding, and plasma arc cutting.

Students spend about 90% of time actually welding and approximately 10% on theory, plate preparation, and clean-up. The course content includes safe and efficient work practices, and the use of current industry standards, practices and techniques as well as NCCER Core Training.
And on the register site, it has more info.
* This class includes a 32 hour NCCER Core session.

No class on September 3, 2018 due to the Labor Day Holiday.

Status Registration Not Available
Course ID
Section ID CEWLB160
QA002
Session Fa/Wi 2018
Category Manufacturing
Days M Tu W
Dates 8/27/18 - 12/10/18
Times 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
# of Hours 167
# of Classes 39
# of Weeks 13
Format Lab
Instructor McCauley, R. Glenn
Location 01-QA (Ardoin, Lafayette)
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Sounds pretty decent price per hour is about on par for what I paid. I would say go for it, but then you absolutely need to get your own and continue practicing after the fact. This isn't like riding a bike. I learned that the hard way. If you don't use the skill you will lose it.
Acid666

Yeah my thing is I don't wanna say "OK LET'S WELD BAW! I'm gonna budget $2K for my welding setup and tinker constantly" only to find that I should of got a Mig setup instead of a Tig, or should of started with a stick. Basically I know enough to know what I don't know, and that I should really get outside input before jumping the gun into that.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Man I wouldn't even bother with a stick welder unless you're repairing old machinery and all you care about is shit sticks together. Hobart Handler is a fantastic garage/small shop mig welder. They are cheap, but buy quality consumables like wire and contact tips etc. Then I would budget for a late model Miller Dynasty tig welder. Doesn't have to be brand new, but they're nice and weld aluminum cleanly.

I use this big MFer on the right for steel/stainless, but for Aluminum I go take someone else's Dynasty.

Acid666

So currently I'm trading emails back and forth with Tramontana to give them specs on the marine engine and shit so they can try to accommodate a way to mount and fit them into their engine bay. They're curious about a 4.0 liter version, which doesn't exist yet, so I don't know if my guy is actually planning on designing one since we've got a 3.5L that's actually wrapping up with machining. The damn machine shop dealing with the big 3.5L had to call in the big boys that design the big CNCs they run to help figure the tooling out along with how the hell to get this damn thing worked out. Apparently it's one of the toughest things the company has ever had to figure out how to machine. I totally get it because he's gone thru nearly 17 shops in over 2 years trying to get it made.

Anywho, I had to look up this damn Tramontana shit. It's some lil crazy car that seems interesting.

Scratch that, just re-read the email
... by the way:
We are working in a extreme and exclusive personal watercraft. A product for luxury yachts clients. Something with radical design and explosive power.
What's your smaller two stroke engine? (power, dimensions, weight)

Last edited by Acid666 on Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

That car is actually pretty big, and I had no idea they were still in business.
Acid666

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:49 pm That car is actually pretty big, and I had no idea they were still in business.
I just updated it, I think they're actually looking to do a luxury power boat thingy
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Also need an intern? My brother is a 4th year aerospace/propulsion engineer student at Embry Riddle and he's getting desperate :lolol:
Acid666

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:58 pm Also need an intern? My brother is a 4th year aerospace/propulsion engineer student at Embry Riddle and he's getting desperate :lolol:
Hah, no need for it here at my company. There ain't a lot of aerospace work in this area. I think Alabama has a bit of it since one of the NASA facilities is down there. Here is a lot of oilfield but its starting to diversify a lot because companies need to not have all their eggs in one basket.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:14 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:58 pm Also need an intern? My brother is a 4th year aerospace/propulsion engineer student at Embry Riddle and he's getting desperate :lolol:
Hah, no need for it here at my company. There ain't a lot of aerospace work in this area. I think Alabama has a bit of it since one of the NASA facilities is down there. Here is a lot of oilfield but its starting to diversify a lot because companies need to not have all their eggs in one basket.
Yeah the aerospace stuff in Huntsville, AL is up near TN. Great area if you don't mind being away from the gulf.
Acid666

So updates. Engine guy is partnering with BBI Autosport based out of California.
He's been wanting to tear apart a Porsche GT3 RS engine for a while and he finally figured a way in. Basically we're going to redesign the bottom end consisting of the billet block, crank, rods, pistons, his patented sleeve setup, and oil pump redesign... And BBI will handle the heads and valvetrain assembly, fuel management, tuning and harness. This shop can also 3d print exhausts out of titanium. WTF $$$
They're blowing it up from 4.0L to 5.0L, and expect the baseline motor to be starting at 500hp, a mild build @ 800hp, and a full blown S/C version pushing between 1,500-2,000hp. How the hell, I dunno. But this shop said they can easily hit it with this beast of a motor if they're able to get a bottom end that's billet and built to match.
So right now he's got one coming in from California. I'll probably be looking to make my way over there to grab some parts off of it to scan and get into 3d and then get a print package done for it.

AIRBOATS BRUH!

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Acid666 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:03 pm So updates. Engine guy is partnering with BBI Autosport based out of California.
He's been wanting to tear apart a Porsche GT3 RS engine for a while and he finally figured a way in. Basically we're going to redesign the bottom end consisting of the billet block, crank, rods, pistons, his patented sleeve setup, and oil pump redesign... And BBI will handle the heads and valvetrain assembly, fuel management, tuning and harness. This shop can also 3d print exhausts out of titanium. WTF $$$
They're blowing it up from 4.0L to 5.0L, and expect the baseline motor to be starting at 500hp, a mild build @ 800hp, and a full blown S/C version pushing between 1,500-2,000hp. How the hell, I dunno. But this shop said they can easily hit it with this beast of a motor if they're able to get a bottom end that's billet and built to match.
So right now he's got one coming in from California. I'll probably be looking to make my way over there to grab some parts off of it to scan and get into 3d and then get a print package done for it.

AIRBOATS BRUH!

wow! BBI is a super legit shop
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:impressive:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Acid666

Party is started. Porsche 4.0L is in and broken up. My guy says that he sees some potential spots where we can add and remove material, and actually stroke this baby out to possibly boost it from 4.0L to a 5.0L. That's a lot of volume, but who knows.
Currently looking for companies to get us a 3d scan so I can start the modeling process.
Porsche is actually on board with this shit, and we'll be able to get parts for this at cost, and we'll be able to keep the Porsche name on it... So that's a huge boost in backing right there.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:ohdang: that’s awesome!
wap

:megusta:
:popcorn:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:neat:
Acid666

Picked up the block with case halves today. Likely getting started next week. We have the 3d scans from another company so I'm going to build off of that.

Also, the Meowta will be getting a different transplant. As soon as I can find a way to fit the heads on the sides.
Miata value will be $80K, all motor. DON'T LOWBALL ME! I KNOW WHAT I'VE GOT!
Acid666

And we're live. This is gonna take a while. We had to underbid to get the work, but getting this first puts our foot in the door for the rest of the work that comes after. So it's worth the hit.
wap

That gorgeous.